Rooms

DIY: Art Border

September 7, 2012

Hello and happy Friday! This idea is in my upcoming book in the home of a British photographer, but I came across something like it in the September issue of Couch magazine, a super fab German mag dedicated to fashion and home, and simply had to share it! The idea is very simple so you may see it and wonder, “Why didn’t I think of that!?”, because it’s truly a very easy trick for displaying art yet it feels quite fresh and interesting to look upon. See for yourself…

DIY: Art Border

This is art displayed in a single row to create almost a “border” above a table, sofa, bed… Anything and everything. I haven’t seen this trick used that much but I think it has the potential of really catching on and sticking around. You select your favorite works and simple line them up and secure to the wall. But of course, you do have to have some type of game plan to make it work because rarely can these decorating ideas be thrown together without some thought.

To make an Art Border work, try some of my styling tips below:

• Choose work according to a theme – nature, geometric, color, travel destinations, black and white only, sephia only, etc.
  • Hang art so that the centers line up – not the bottoms or tops (though you can experiment) but I like the centers in line as it feels less chaotic.
  • Place work side by side, touching, without space. If you are using objects, you can give them some breathing room but space them closely and evenly apart. Again, you want consistency not chaos.
  • If using only art, opt for either framed or without frames so that there is some consistency.
  • If you decide to use objects and art make sure you have some kind of them going on to link them together.
  • If you go with frames, try to make them all the same or have them be the same shape (I’d avoid circles/ovals) and then paint them in favorite colors that work with the art.

What a fun idea!

Would you try this at home? I totally will!

(image: photo taken by me of couch magazine.)

24 Comments

• Reply domonique @ a bowl full of simple September 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I did this with some white frames filled with my kids artwork for our family room. I thought it was fun and different than the typical gallery. The art is all very different, but the frames are simple white ones from west elm.

• Reply Anna-Rosa September 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Wow! this is a great idea! I was searching for a cool diy idea for my bedroom! Thanks a lot for sharing! Really useful for me right now.

• Reply Tina Ramchandani September 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Very cool idea. I’m not allowed to do any more at home or I’ll get some serious trouble. But I would recommend this to friends!

• Reply shanon September 7, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Haha, I feel so ahead of the trend. =) I did this in my bedroom over 5 years ago. It went from one window to another, and spanned two walls, meeting in a corner. Last year I took it all down, filled all the nail holes, and went with large scale black and white photos. For the bedroom, less is more for me, and a few BW’s are now more soothing to look at everyday. ; )

• Reply Sarah September 7, 2012 at 5:37 pm

The mix of sizes and shapes is so appealing–it really adds a lot of interest to the room. It reminds me of a border of postcards set along a chair rail I once saw in a restaurant–actually it was in the ladies room!

• Reply Mnêmosunê September 7, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I don’t have approriate space for doing this, but it’s a wonderful idea !

• Reply Nuit September 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm

LOVE this!!! will definitely gather up some art to try it :)

• Reply joe arrigo September 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Very interesting and unique idea. The idea of lining up centers rather than edges, and touching, never occurred to me.

• Reply Sue Schlabach September 7, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Having just repainted the living space two weeks ago this idea excites me. The flotsam and jetsam artwork of 20 odd years is all stacked against the various walls taunting us to find a new plan, and this just could be IT! Perfect. I am in Paris at Maison et Objet soaking up ideas, but as I put up my aching feet tonight, this idea strikes me as so fresh, livable and easy-going. Not contrived. A real story. Can’t wait to give it a try when I get home to Vermont. But until then, it’s Paris, art, design, paté and rosé.

• Reply Patty Pittala September 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm

If I were to do this and add some objects, I would put the object in the larger spaces above or below a smaller picture. It would seem to tuck in perfectly and not be too out of line. I love this look!

• Reply Bettina September 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Great tip, thank you for sharing!

• Reply Maria @ All Things Luxurious September 8, 2012 at 1:38 am

This is so lovely! I am definitely going to have to try this. Thanks so much for sharing! :-)

• Reply Artsy Forager September 8, 2012 at 5:40 am

Always on the lookout for interesting ways to hang artwork! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Rebecca September 8, 2012 at 8:17 am

Great suggestion to arrange by centers! Looks so good…

• Reply Eleanor September 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

We have a very long entrance hallway/mud room and I’ve been looking for an interesting way to display art/photos on the empty wall that doesn’t have coat hooks. This may be the ticket!

• Reply Tracy A. September 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Love the border idea!

• Reply Christy September 8, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I like this idea. As an artist, I have all of my works in the living area above the sofa but in a large cluster, almost like a collage, this looks nice and neat, maybe I have a new project for this weekend!

• Reply Julia Kuku Couture September 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm

wow! I love this idea and your right it is so simple I can’t believe I didn’t think of it. I think this would work really well in my living room.

• Reply Inge September 8, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Lovely idea and great tips! And I think I would use art work in black and white, it would give my hallway the perfect touch… Thanks for sharing Holly!!! :-)

• Reply Carla September 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm

This is a lovely idea!
    I’m enjoying reading through your blog, its very inspiring :)

• Reply Laura Passey September 9, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Fabulous! Like you say, seems so obvious when you see it. So fun!

• Reply Ana Sofia Santos September 10, 2012 at 12:18 am

This is a great idea and I think it might look very nice on my living room behind the dinning table!

By the way, I really LOVE the new look on your Blog! I like to soft pale colors used and the little birds on those branches are so sweet!

• Reply White Forest Home September 10, 2012 at 8:17 am

Yes great idea….lots of artwork to hang as well! Thanks H x

• Reply Nicole Lyka October 31, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I will definitely try this!