DIY: Art Border

Hello and happy Friday! This idea is in my upcoming book in the home of a British photographer, but I came across something like it in the September issue of Couch magazine, a super fab German mag dedicated to fashion and home, and simply had to share it! The idea is very simple so you may see it and wonder, “Why didn’t I think of that!?”, because it’s truly a very easy trick for displaying art yet it feels quite fresh and interesting to look upon. See for yourself…

Great art display idea

This is art displayed in a single row to create almost a “border” above a table, sofa, bed… Anything and everything. I haven’t seen this trick used that much but I think it has the potential of really catching on and sticking around. You select your favorite works and simple line them up and secure to the wall. But of course, you do have to have some type of game plan to make it work because rarely can these decorating ideas be thrown together without some thought.

To make an Art Border work, try some of my styling tips below:

• Choose work according to a theme – nature, geometric, color, travel destinations, black and white only, sephia only, etc.
  • Hang art so that the centers line up – not the bottoms or tops (though you can experiment) but I like the centers in line as it feels less chaotic.
  • Place work side by side, touching, without space. If you are using objects, you can give them some breathing room but space them closely and evenly apart. Again, you want consistency not chaos.
  • If using only art, opt for either framed or without frames so that there is some consistency.
  • If you decide to use objects and art make sure you have some kind of them going on to link them together.
  • If you go with frames, try to make them all the same or have them be the same shape (I’d avoid circles/ovals) and then paint them in favorite colors that work with the art.

What a fun idea!

Would you try this at home? I totally will!

(image: photo taken by me of couch magazine.)

Posted by decor8 in walls on September 07, 2012

1. domonique @ a bowl full of simple commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 3:46pm

I did this with some white frames filled with my kids artwork for our family room. I thought it was fun and different than the typical gallery. The art is all very different, but the frames are simple white ones from west elm.
    domonique @ a bowl full of simple´s last blog post ..Friday Favorites

2. Anna-Rosa commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 3:47pm

Wow! this is a great idea! I was searching for a cool diy idea for my bedroom! Thanks a lot for sharing! Really useful for me right now.
    Anna-Rosa´s last blog post ..Soft King Cookies *

3. Tina Ramchandani commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 3:53pm

Very cool idea. I’m not allowed to do any more at home or I’ll get some serious trouble. But I would recommend this to friends!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..NY Fashion Week {plus} The Weekly Recap

4. shanon commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 4:31pm

Haha, I feel so ahead of the trend. =) I did this in my bedroom over 5 years ago. It went from one window to another, and spanned two walls, meeting in a corner. Last year I took it all down, filled all the nail holes, and went with large scale black and white photos. For the bedroom, less is more for me, and a few BW’s are now more soothing to look at everyday. ; )
    shanon´s last blog post ..Our Year of Photos: week 35

5. Sarah commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 5:37pm

The mix of sizes and shapes is so appealing–it really adds a lot of interest to the room. It reminds me of a border of postcards set along a chair rail I once saw in a restaurant–actually it was in the ladies room!

6. Mnêmosunê commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 7:59pm

I don’t have approriate space for doing this, but it’s a wonderful idea !
    Mnêmosunê´s last blog post ..Un peu de créativité #9

7. Nuit commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 8:07pm

LOVE this!!! will definitely gather up some art to try it :)
    Nuit´s last blog post ..random rooms to Die for!

8. joe arrigo commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 10:09pm

Very interesting and unique idea. The idea of lining up centers rather than edges, and touching, never occurred to me.
    joe arrigo´s last blog post ..Jesus

9. Sue Schlabach commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 10:16pm

Having just repainted the living space two weeks ago this idea excites me. The flotsam and jetsam artwork of 20 odd years is all stacked against the various walls taunting us to find a new plan, and this just could be IT! Perfect. I am in Paris at Maison et Objet soaking up ideas, but as I put up my aching feet tonight, this idea strikes me as so fresh, livable and easy-going. Not contrived. A real story. Can’t wait to give it a try when I get home to Vermont. But until then, it’s Paris, art, design, paté and rosé.
    Sue Schlabach´s last blog post ..Duality

10. Patty Pittala commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 10:21pm

If I were to do this and add some objects, I would put the object in the larger spaces above or below a smaller picture. It would seem to tuck in perfectly and not be too out of line. I love this look!

11. Bettina commented
    September 7th, 2012 at 10:31pm

Great tip, thank you for sharing!

12. Maria @ All Things Luxurious commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 1:38am

This is so lovely! I am definitely going to have to try this. Thanks so much for sharing! :-)
    Maria @ All Things Luxurious´s last blog post ..Friday’s Fancies — Back to School!

13. Artsy Forager commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 5:40am

Always on the lookout for interesting ways to hang artwork! Thanks for sharing!
    Artsy Forager´s last blog post ..Friday Finds: Galleries to Love

14. Rebecca commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 8:17am

Great suggestion to arrange by centers! Looks so good…
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..The 4P’s in Selling your Portland Home Successfully

15. Eleanor commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 11:02am

We have a very long entrance hallway/mud room and I’ve been looking for an interesting way to display art/photos on the empty wall that doesn’t have coat hooks. This may be the ticket!

16. Tracy A. commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 1:34pm
  17. Christy commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 1:56pm

I like this idea. As an artist, I have all of my works in the living area above the sofa but in a large cluster, almost like a collage, this looks nice and neat, maybe I have a new project for this weekend!

18. Julia Kuku Couture commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 2:12pm

wow! I love this idea and your right it is so simple I can’t believe I didn’t think of it. I think this would work really well in my living room.
    Julia Kuku Couture´s last blog post ..Happy Snaps – Father’s Day Weekend

19. Inge commented
    September 8th, 2012 at 10:24pm

Lovely idea and great tips! And I think I would use art work in black and white, it would give my hallway the perfect touch… Thanks for sharing Holly!!! :-)
    Inge´s last blog post ..Lovely Etsy Find {romantic prints by Lisa Barbero + giveaway}

20. Carla commented
    September 9th, 2012 at 2:32pm

This is a lovely idea!
    I’m enjoying reading through your blog, its very inspiring :)
    Carla´s last blog post ..‘Life Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity’ Seneca

21. Laura Passey commented
    September 9th, 2012 at 10:43pm

Fabulous! Like you say, seems so obvious when you see it. So fun!
    Laura Passey´s last blog post ..Modern Wallpaper for a Bold Brief

22. Ana Sofia Santos commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 12:18am

This is a great idea and I think it might look very nice on my living room behind the dinning table!

By the way, I really LOVE the new look on your Blog! I like to soft pale colors used and the little birds on those branches are so sweet!
    Ana Sofia Santos´s last blog post ..PICNIC IDEAS {Part 1}

23. White Forest Home commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 8:17am

Yes great idea….lots of artwork to hang as well! Thanks H x

24. Nicole Lyka commented
    October 31st, 2012 at 1:26pm

I will definitely try this!