Inspiration

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

September 20, 2012

I love a good story, especially when told expertly combining both words and imagery. I’m highly visual and seek to place images with words whenever possible because if I cannot see a story I cannot feel it in my heart and then there is nothing about it that I can relate to. If someone cannot write in a way that is very visual, they lose me. If a stylist cannot pull together a story or room in a way that elicits some emotion, I turn the page and their work is easily forgotten. I need to feel a story in that way, to make an emotional connection. I need a certain relatable reality to be introduced – either highly inspirational and uplifting or melancholy and dark (or something beautifully placed in between). Are you following me here?

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

Let me show you through a series of images that I came across just this past Monday that are from a wonderful Danish production company called VK Stock. I discovered them from my friend, Charlotte Gueniau, and I’ve been thinking about them ever since. I love that each image tells a story yet all of the stories are not the same… Each vignette, room, piece of fruit is styled from the heart and in some cases, left a bit messy which really appeals to me.

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

I’m so ‘over’ perfect interiors that look staged but then again, I don’t recall ever being into them, I just saw so many over the course of many years in magazines, books and catalogs that I became a bit bored by matchy matchy this and perfectly perfect that. I do not wish to live in a museum and I certainly do not have the time to polish, curate, dust and organize my home in the way that it would take to live the way that most high-end designers deem the ultimate lifestyle. Give me from the heart, eclectic, rooms built over time, loads of love, a little wonky, a little wrong, something ugly but really loved, a few things that were handed down and well, that’s enough for me.

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

VK Stock produces editorial lifestyle, interiors, food and DIY stories for magazines and other media worldwide, each story includes text, styling and photography that are produced together as a concept, or story, and sold in to mainly magazines. These images are but a tiny glimpse into their world and are meant to point you to their website and portfolio in case you would like to learn more. It looks as though most of these shoots where created by stylist Nicoline Olsen in Copenhagen, and are simply divine!

(images: vk stock)

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Reply tinajo September 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Love the pics, very inspirational! :-)

• Reply Mel September 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Completely agree Holly:)

• Reply caroline @trend-daily September 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Gorgeous shots and wonderful styling. Lovely to be shown these-thanks Holly :-)

• Reply Paige @ Little Nostalgia September 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm

These really speak to me, too! Whenever I see perfectly styled homes in magazines, I get a little stressed out because MY house could only look that way if all I ever did was clean. Which is not going to happen. Ever.

I’d rather see something that feels lived-in, since that’s what we all do in our homes anyway.

• Reply mimi September 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Hear hear I love what you said about not living in a museum. I love a room that looks comfortably lived in, not over styled and unrealistic!

I apologized the other day to my husband for not keeping the house “perfectly” in order, he surprised me by saying he liked it just the way it was. How sweet, (and diplomatic) is he! Gorgeous pics by the way!

• Reply kellie | fireworks display September 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm

This is perfect! Are the butterflies real? That is the kind of home I’ve been wanting to create. Great design! :)

• Reply Danielle September 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Lovely pictures.

I agree. I don’t like perfectly styled interiors because I can’t relate. My life is eclectic and cluttered. It’s refreshing to see design that reflects that. It;s inspiring.

• Reply Tricia Rose September 21, 2012 at 12:27 am

That’s the beauty of the internet, open access for anyone to post the rooms they love – I think it has made an enormous difference! It’s more about playing and interacting, not sterile, static magazines.
    Have you noticed how individual stylists have acquired a platform too?

• Reply Laura M M Johnson September 21, 2012 at 2:41 am

I agree whole heartedly…and yet, I find it can be incredibly difficult to winnow out what truly epitomizes MY look. Blogs (like yours) spark my creativity and inspire me. But there seems to be a NUMBER of looks I resonate with. Which one do I go with in my ACTUAL living space? Have you ever found that to be a challenge?

And then there’s the challenge of what you WANT a room to look like, and what is available to you at flea markets, garage sales, online…etc….

Just random thoughts…

• Reply Signe Wenneberg September 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thank you so much Holly – and all of you! This is actually my messy house in Copenhagen… Now I won’t tidy up – just put my legs up and smile! You made my day!!!

Love Signe

• Reply decor8 September 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Signe- are all of these photos from your home?

• Reply Signe Wenneberg September 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Yes – indeed. Most of them – the first ones, and the last ones – yes. You can tell on VKstock…

• Reply decor8 September 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

@Signe – It’s beautiful, you have a great home!

• Reply Nicoline Olsen September 22, 2012 at 8:27 am

@decor8: Dear Holly thank you so much for so many beautiful words about VK Stock nice to se you love my style.

Nicoline

• Reply Nicoline Olsen September 22, 2012 at 8:28 am

@kellie | fireworks display: The butterflies are made out of paper and feather

Best Nicoline