Inspiring Stories From VK Stock

I love a good story, especially when told expertly combining both words and imagery. I’m highly visual and seek to place images with words whenever possible because if I cannot see a story I cannot feel it in my heart and then there is nothing about it that I can relate to. If someone cannot write in a way that is very visual, they lose me. If a stylist cannot pull together a story or room in a way that elicits some emotion, I turn the page and their work is easily forgotten. I need to feel a story in that way, to make an emotional connection. I need a certain relatable reality to be introduced – either highly inspirational and uplifting or melancholy and dark (or something beautifully placed in between). Are you following me here?

Inspiring

Let me show you through a series of images that I came across just this past Monday that are from a wonderful Danish production company called VK Stock. I discovered them from my friend, Charlotte Gueniau, and I’ve been thinking about them ever since. I love that each image tells a story yet all of the stories are not the same… Each vignette, room, piece of fruit is styled from the heart and in some cases, left a bit messy which really appeals to me.

Inspiring

I’m so ‘over’ perfect interiors that look staged but then again, I don’t recall ever being into them, I just saw so many over the course of many years in magazines, books and catalogs that I became a bit bored by matchy matchy this and perfectly perfect that. I do not wish to live in a museum and I certainly do not have the time to polish, curate, dust and organize my home in the way that it would take to live the way that most high-end designers deem the ultimate lifestyle. Give me from the heart, eclectic, rooms built over time, loads of love, a little wonky, a little wrong, something ugly but really loved, a few things that were handed down and well, that’s enough for me.

Inspiring

Inspiring

Inspiring

Inspiring

Inspiring

Inspiring

Inspiring

VK Stock produces editorial lifestyle, interiors, food and DIY stories for magazines and other media worldwide, each story includes text, styling and photography that are produced together as a concept, or story, and sold in to mainly magazines. These images are but a tiny glimpse into their world and are meant to point you to their website and portfolio in case you would like to learn more. It looks as though most of these shoots where created by stylist Nicoline Olsen in Copenhagen, and are simply divine!

(images: vk stock)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on September 20, 2012

1. tinajo commented
    September 20th, 2012 at 1:08pm

Love the pics, very inspirational! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Under the influence..!

2. Mel commented
    September 20th, 2012 at 1:26pm

Completely agree Holly:)
    Mel´s last blog post ..Hello Milky, Nice To See You

3. caroline @trend-daily commented
    September 20th, 2012 at 1:33pm

Gorgeous shots and wonderful styling. Lovely to be shown these-thanks Holly :-)
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Variation On A Theme

4. Paige @ Little Nostalgia commented
    September 20th, 2012 at 1:40pm

These really speak to me, too! Whenever I see perfectly styled homes in magazines, I get a little stressed out because MY house could only look that way if all I ever did was clean. Which is not going to happen. Ever.

I’d rather see something that feels lived-in, since that’s what we all do in our homes anyway.
    Paige @ Little Nostalgia´s last blog post ..What’s Your Design Style?

5. mimi commented
    September 20th, 2012 at 1:51pm

Hear hear I love what you said about not living in a museum. I love a room that looks comfortably lived in, not over styled and unrealistic!

I apologized the other day to my husband for not keeping the house “perfectly” in order, he surprised me by saying he liked it just the way it was. How sweet, (and diplomatic) is he! Gorgeous pics by the way!
    mimi´s last blog post ..Red

6. kellie | fireworks display commented
    September 20th, 2012 at 3:45pm

This is perfect! Are the butterflies real? That is the kind of home I’ve been wanting to create. Great design! :)

7. Danielle commented
    September 20th, 2012 at 4:21pm

Lovely pictures.

I agree. I don’t like perfectly styled interiors because I can’t relate. My life is eclectic and cluttered. It’s refreshing to see design that reflects that. It;s inspiring.
    Danielle´s last blog post ..Things I Bought – Facing the Inevitable

8. Tricia Rose commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 12:27am

That’s the beauty of the internet, open access for anyone to post the rooms they love – I think it has made an enormous difference! It’s more about playing and interacting, not sterile, static magazines.
    Have you noticed how individual stylists have acquired a platform too?
    Tricia Rose´s last blog post ..Domestic Upkeep

9. Laura M M Johnson commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 2:41am

I agree whole heartedly…and yet, I find it can be incredibly difficult to winnow out what truly epitomizes MY look. Blogs (like yours) spark my creativity and inspire me. But there seems to be a NUMBER of looks I resonate with. Which one do I go with in my ACTUAL living space? Have you ever found that to be a challenge?

And then there’s the challenge of what you WANT a room to look like, and what is available to you at flea markets, garage sales, online…etc….

Just random thoughts…

10. Signe Wenneberg commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 12:40pm

Thank you so much Holly – and all of you! This is actually my messy house in Copenhagen… Now I won’t tidy up – just put my legs up and smile! You made my day!!!

Love Signe
    Signe Wenneberg´s last blog post ..Sådan laver man en up-date, der får 2200 likes

11. decor8 commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 1:45pm

Signe- are all of these photos from your home?

12. Signe Wenneberg commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 3:09pm

Yes – indeed. Most of them – the first ones, and the last ones – yes. You can tell on VKstock…
    Signe Wenneberg´s last blog post ..Rode & Rejse

13. decor8 commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 6:39pm

@Signe – It’s beautiful, you have a great home!

14. Nicoline Olsen commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 8:27am

@decor8: Dear Holly thank you so much for so many beautiful words about VK Stock nice to se you love my style.

Nicoline
    Nicoline Olsen´s last blog post ..Thank you decor8blog.com

15. Nicoline Olsen commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 8:28am

@kellie | fireworks display: The butterflies are made out of paper and feather

Best Nicoline