The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Hello decor8 readers! My name is Ishtar Olivera and I’m an illustrator and crafter from Spain. Two years ago I moved with my family to the UK and I can tell you it’s been a very exciting adventure so far! I’m so happy to live just two hours away from London. I can visit whenever I need a fresh dose of inspiration, feel like taking the kids to the museums or attend unique events like the Renegade Craft Fair!

Renegade Craft Fair London

This was the second year that the event was held in London, at The Old Truman Brewery on September 15th and 16th. I had the date reserved on my calendar as soon as I learned about it and so, off I went, early on a Sunday morning and this is what I found waiting for me, oh my!

Renegade Craft Fair London

There’s nothing that I love more than flea markets and craft fairs! Handmade crafted objects are real treasures to me. I feel happy just walking along the booths and talking to people and admiring their work. I think they even have a  special energy! You can feel it as soon as you walk in.

Renegade Craft Fair London

There’s something welcoming about these events don’t you think?

I loved how spacious and luminous The Old Trueman Brewery was, and how all the booths were displayed, the bunting along the ceiling, the cheerful colors of the tables, the variety of crafts, the music playing in the background and the friendly folks at the door greeting you! See? How can you not feel welcome ; )

Oh, but where to start? So many lovely things to see! Jewelry, dolls, tea cups and pins, tea towels and prints! Here are a few of my favorite things…

Renegade Craft Fair London

First, cute pin cushion houses

Renegade Craft Fair London

And even ice cream and hedgehog badges! These were made by the sweet illustrator Debbie Greenaway.

Renegade Craft Fair London

Embroidered words to stop by, read and laugh at made by Stephanie Tillman from What Party.

Renegade Craft Fair London

So hilarious and original!

Renegade Craft Fair London

I was surprised to find artists I have followed and admired for years like Stella Baggott from Atelier Stella. I really find her ceramics to be one of a kind. Little succulent pots, doves, clouds with raindrops and even spoons! All with their cute faces which make them irresistible!

Renegade Craft Fair London

I had to bring one of her Mr. Spoons home with me. Who wouldn’t want a spoon with nose and eyes to stir the coffee with ? : ) Don’t forget to check out her website for more lovely ceramics.

Renegade Craft Fair London

Next was the booth of talented doll maker Lucy Brasher from The Cat in the Shoe – you could spot her whimsical creatures from afar!

Renegade Craft Fair London

Really something special, don’t you think?

Renegade Craft Fair London

And then there the Sweet Trash booth filled with wonderful quirky colors and curiosities made of recycled garments and objects.

Renegade Craft Fair London

A bit of kitsch here and there topped up with retro style marvels! Sweet!

Renegade Craft Fair London

The booth of Butterscotch and Beesting had the loveliest circus themed housewares; cushions, lampshades, teacups…

Renegade Craft Fair London

Their booth was beautifully decorated as well. It’s something I enjoy very much about these events: the creativity artists show while setting up their booths in order to make them stand out and be attractive to customers. The theme and colors they choose, different props, it was so inspiring.

Renegade Craft Fair London

Then there are booths that really don’t need to do much, because the artists’ crafts and creations stand out all by themselves. Such is the case of Jess Quinn  and her rag dolls.

Renegade Craft Fair London

Jess was definitely one of my favorite artists of the fair. Her inspiration come from her childhood memories and the dolls her mum used to make.

Renegade Craft Fair London

Each doll had so much personality! The fabrics she uses are mostly vintage. They each come with fun accessories like sunglasses, scarfs, pom pom hair bands necklaces and more.

Renegade Craft Fair London

And last but not least the world of jimbobart and his hand-drawn ceramics. Bears, mice and badgers… Woodland creatures that have a special love for cakes (as he says himself ).

Renegade Craft Fair London

I very much enjoyed going through all his work!

And so, there you have it! A brief visit through London’s Renegade Craft Fair and some of my favorite artists. I left with a smile and a spoon! And hoping to come back next year. :) I hope that you enjoyed my favorite things at the Renegade Craft Fair – thank you decor8 readers for having me as your guest today!

(photographs: Ishtar Olivera)

Posted by decor8 in events + markets on September 21, 2012

1. Anita - Comfyheaven Pillows and Decor commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 12:59pm

oh too cute… I wish i was there, so many things I could pick up. Those hoops are my favorite.

2. Trish commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 1:55pm

How fun. A few weeks ago I went to the Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago. Loved it. Best of times. Wonder how many of the artists were the same? That would be the life. Travel the world with the craft fair. My 10 year old son bought funny t-shirt there and wears it EVERY day. Hope you also got so treasures.

3. Tracy A. commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 2:02pm

A day that would be right up my alley!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post .."Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. Tina Ramchandani commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 2:20pm

I liked everything until I saw the neon lampshade from Butterscotch and Beesting. Love that! Flea Markets are so inspiring.
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Art in General {plus} The Weekly Recap

5. CASA E COSE commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 2:45pm

I have as a favorite Butterscotch and Beesting on Etsy for there super wonderfull pillows! Oh I also want to go to a fair like that!!!

6. Chirley Maria commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 4:19pm

Adorei passear com você! Obrigada!

7. Mariela commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 4:48pm

I love this post, love the work of Debbie Greenaway!
    Great information, thanks!
    xx
    Mariela´s last blog post ..Paredes

8. Pilar commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 5:00pm

I want to buy it all… so beautiful!

xx
    Pili
    Pilar´s last blog post ..Home, sweet home!

9. Esther commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 5:02pm

Oh, wonderful things!! I wish I lived close, so I could visit.
    Have a good weekend,
    Esther.
    Esther´s last blog post ..Autumn on the way

10. Gloria commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 5:46pm

It´s wonderfull.

11. Kathleen commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 6:38pm

I’ve been needing a craft sale to go to. Thanks. Felt like I just went. I am enamored by all of the doll figures. I think little boys need dolls too. I am always looking for one for my grandson that might be a good “boy” doll. Love the little wolfie one.
    Kathleen´s last blog post ..Creative Memory #1

12. Mela commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 7:15pm

I was there last year, quite by accident. Such a great event :)

13. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 10:10pm

Sigh…..one of my all time favorite things in the world. Hitting Renegade the moment it is in town, in Brooklyn. Just THE best. This one looks so bright and cheerful and thank you for introducing me to some lovelies that I had never seen before!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Closer to home

14. giozi commented
    September 21st, 2012 at 11:35pm

Fantastic post. Love the little houses and mermaid.

15. stephanie @ Baba Souk commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 12:03am

how cool is this fair! I wish I could have seen all these goodies! lucky you!

16. Tanya commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 12:51am

Love all the detail. This makes me want to be craftier. Is that a word?

xoxo,
     T

17. Beata commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 9:29am

Beautiful post, I love doll:))

18. elli by studio34E commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 1:24pm

what amzing work!!i love them all!!!BRAVO!!!really super!!
    elli by studio34E´s last blog post ..Ένα industrial κομμωτήριο — Industrial barber shop

19. Kat commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 1:36pm

Hi sweet Ishtar,
    Lovely to see you guesting at decor8, and what a fab post!
    I feel I have toured it with you, what an amazing fair and space to hold it in.
    I have many links to explore thank you for such beautiful photos.
    And the jess Quinn dolls are my favourite of your finds.
    I really hope to get to this fair one year in the future
    Love kat x
    Kat´s last blog post ..Pressed flowers from summer

20. Lauren @ girl and the abode commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 4:28pm

I attended the renegade craft fair in Los Angles. It is such a wonderful event filled with so many unique items made by people who truly love what they do! I was inspired by all the creativity! Love this Fair!
    Lauren @ girl and the abode´s last blog post ..Do what you Love!

21. Patty commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 6:16pm

Looks so colorful and fun. The bears are lovely!
    Patty´s last blog post ..Color, Line and Pattern Art Project

22. Tiffany commented
    September 22nd, 2012 at 8:44pm

oh how i love handmade dolls! i make dolls usually with wire and paper!
    Tiffany´s last blog post ..CHOCOLATE AND SPICE*

23. anastasia commented
    September 23rd, 2012 at 11:13am

everything looks amazing!!! thanks for sharing the gorgeous craft tables and offerings…

24. Emma commented
    September 23rd, 2012 at 5:43pm

Gracias por tanto detalle!! Tendré que ir en próximo año!!!! :)
    Loved all of your review of the show!! Feels we were there!

25. iHanna commented
    September 23rd, 2012 at 10:06pm

Adore Isthar’s photographies from the fair, just so awesome to get a little glimps fo all the godness what is there. Wish i could be there too!
    iHanna´s last blog post ..Weekly Inspirations: Adventures and Crazy Dreams

26. christine from decorated life commented
    September 24th, 2012 at 3:20pm

Looks like a lot of really cute things!! So many great ideas. Thanks for all the photos.. I love the Cat in the Shoe and What Party.. Bet you had the best time!
    christine from decorated life´s last blog post ..Decorating Trick Using Task Lighting

27. Jessica commented
    September 24th, 2012 at 4:33pm

Debbie’s work is so cute! Thanks for sharing
    Jessica´s last blog post ..8 Homemade Candy Recipes

28. Elaine commented
    September 24th, 2012 at 8:35pm

Looks utterly amazing, you just don’t get craft fairs like that up here in northern Scotland ((sigh))
    Elaine´s last blog post ..Vintage Teas and Clothes Swap

29. Stella Baggott commented
    September 25th, 2012 at 12:29am

Thanks Ishtar for you lovely comments and beautiful photographs. Really glad you like my work and I remember you bought the cloud mobile too. Hope you enjoy. Stella x

30. Lucy commented
    September 25th, 2012 at 12:26pm

What a lovely Blog! Thank you soo much for featuring the cat in the shoe! x

31. LILANDCLOE commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 2:08pm

ISHTAR genial encontrarte aqui! un post increible! hay reunión club del tupper a la vista, viste mail de Rebe? Contamos contigo? es patrocinado, pagan vuelos, hotel… Dinos algo! Un beso!
    LILANDCLOE´s last blog post ..BELIEVE!

32. Laura commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 2:36pm

Very nice photos. I was wondering how you find out about these events? Is there a website that lists fairs such as this? Thanks!

33. Perdida en Tiffanys commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 2:53pm

Beutiful fair and beautiful post!!

34. kristine commented
    October 2nd, 2012 at 3:03pm

Please let us know how to get in contact with Atelier Stella. The ceramic pieces are gorgeous and I would love to know how to purchase. Thanks for the great write-up and introduction to so many great artists.

35. Jessica commented
    October 3rd, 2012 at 3:31pm

Great pictures. I must go next year.

36. stephanie @Babasouk commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 7:19pm

Looks so heavenly!!! I which as was there!! Thanks for sharing! :)
    stephanie @Babasouk´s last blog post ..At last!