Events + Markets

September 21, 2012

Hello decor8 readers! My name is Ishtar Olivera and I’m an illustrator and crafter from Spain. Two years ago I moved with my family to the UK and I can tell you it’s been a very exciting adventure so far! I’m so happy to live just two hours away from London. I can visit whenever I need a fresh dose of inspiration, feel like taking the kids to the museums or attend unique events like the Renegade Craft Fair!

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

This was the second year that the event was held in London, at The Old Truman Brewery on September 15th and 16th. I had the date reserved on my calendar as soon as I learned about it and so, off I went, early on a Sunday morning and this is what I found waiting for me, oh my!

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

There’s nothing that I love more than flea markets and craft fairs! Handmade crafted objects are real treasures to me. I feel happy just walking along the booths and talking to people and admiring their work. I think they even have a  special energy! You can feel it as soon as you walk in.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

There’s something welcoming about these events don’t you think?

I loved how spacious and luminous The Old Trueman Brewery was, and how all the booths were displayed, the bunting along the ceiling, the cheerful colors of the tables, the variety of crafts, the music playing in the background and the friendly folks at the door greeting you! See? How can you not feel welcome ; )

Oh, but where to start? So many lovely things to see! Jewelry, dolls, tea cups and pins, tea towels and prints! Here are a few of my favorite things…

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

First, cute pin cushion houses

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

And even ice cream and hedgehog badges! These were made by the sweet illustrator Debbie Greenaway.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Embroidered words to stop by, read and laugh at made by Stephanie Tillman from What Party.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

So hilarious and original!

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

I was surprised to find artists I have followed and admired for years like Stella Baggott from Atelier Stella. I really find her ceramics to be one of a kind. Little succulent pots, doves, clouds with raindrops and even spoons! All with their cute faces which make them irresistible!

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

I had to bring one of her Mr. Spoons home with me. Who wouldn’t want a spoon with nose and eyes to stir the coffee with ? : ) Don’t forget to check out her website for more lovely ceramics.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Next was the booth of talented doll maker Lucy Brasher from The Cat in the Shoe – you could spot her whimsical creatures from afar!

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Really something special, don’t you think?

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

And then there the Sweet Trash booth filled with wonderful quirky colors and curiosities made of recycled garments and objects.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

A bit of kitsch here and there topped up with retro style marvels! Sweet!

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

The booth of Butterscotch and Beesting had the loveliest circus themed housewares; cushions, lampshades, teacups…

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Their booth was beautifully decorated as well. It’s something I enjoy very much about these events: the creativity artists show while setting up their booths in order to make them stand out and be attractive to customers. The theme and colors they choose, different props, it was so inspiring.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Then there are booths that really don’t need to do much, because the artists’ crafts and creations stand out all by themselves. Such is the case of Jess Quinn  and her rag dolls.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Jess was definitely one of my favorite artists of the fair. Her inspiration come from her childhood memories and the dolls her mum used to make.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

Each doll had so much personality! The fabrics she uses are mostly vintage. They each come with fun accessories like sunglasses, scarfs, pom pom hair bands necklaces and more.

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

And last but not least the world of jimbobart and his hand-drawn ceramics. Bears, mice and badgers… Woodland creatures that have a special love for cakes (as he says himself ).

The Renegade Craft Fair in London

I very much enjoyed going through all his work!

And so, there you have it! A brief visit through London’s Renegade Craft Fair and some of my favorite artists. I left with a smile and a spoon! And hoping to come back next year. :) I hope that you enjoyed my favorite things at the Renegade Craft Fair – thank you decor8 readers for having me as your guest today!

(photographs: Ishtar Olivera)

You Might Also Like

36 Comments

• Reply Anita - Comfyheaven Pillows and Decor September 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm

oh too cute… I wish i was there, so many things I could pick up. Those hoops are my favorite.

• Reply Trish September 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

How fun. A few weeks ago I went to the Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago. Loved it. Best of times. Wonder how many of the artists were the same? That would be the life. Travel the world with the craft fair. My 10 year old son bought funny t-shirt there and wears it EVERY day. Hope you also got so treasures.

• Reply Tracy A. September 21, 2012 at 2:02 pm

A day that would be right up my alley!

• Reply Tina Ramchandani September 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I liked everything until I saw the neon lampshade from Butterscotch and Beesting. Love that! Flea Markets are so inspiring.

• Reply CASA E COSE September 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I have as a favorite Butterscotch and Beesting on Etsy for there super wonderfull pillows! Oh I also want to go to a fair like that!!!

• Reply Chirley Maria September 21, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Adorei passear com você! Obrigada!

• Reply Mariela September 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I love this post, love the work of Debbie Greenaway!
    Great information, thanks!
    xx

• Reply Pilar September 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I want to buy it all… so beautiful!

xx
    Pili

• Reply Esther September 21, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Oh, wonderful things!! I wish I lived close, so I could visit.
    Have a good weekend,
    Esther.

• Reply Gloria September 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm

It´s wonderfull.

• Reply Kathleen September 21, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’ve been needing a craft sale to go to. Thanks. Felt like I just went. I am enamored by all of the doll figures. I think little boys need dolls too. I am always looking for one for my grandson that might be a good “boy” doll. Love the little wolfie one.

• Reply Mela September 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I was there last year, quite by accident. Such a great event :)

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Sigh…..one of my all time favorite things in the world. Hitting Renegade the moment it is in town, in Brooklyn. Just THE best. This one looks so bright and cheerful and thank you for introducing me to some lovelies that I had never seen before!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply giozi September 21, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Fantastic post. Love the little houses and mermaid.

• Reply stephanie @ Baba Souk September 22, 2012 at 12:03 am

how cool is this fair! I wish I could have seen all these goodies! lucky you!

• Reply Tanya September 22, 2012 at 12:51 am

Love all the detail. This makes me want to be craftier. Is that a word?

xoxo,
     T

• Reply Beata September 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

Beautiful post, I love doll:))

• Reply elli by studio34E September 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm

what amzing work!!i love them all!!!BRAVO!!!really super!!

• Reply Kat September 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hi sweet Ishtar,
    Lovely to see you guesting at decor8, and what a fab post!
    I feel I have toured it with you, what an amazing fair and space to hold it in.
    I have many links to explore thank you for such beautiful photos.
    And the jess Quinn dolls are my favourite of your finds.
    I really hope to get to this fair one year in the future
    Love kat x

• Reply Lauren @ girl and the abode September 22, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I attended the renegade craft fair in Los Angles. It is such a wonderful event filled with so many unique items made by people who truly love what they do! I was inspired by all the creativity! Love this Fair!

• Reply Patty September 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Looks so colorful and fun. The bears are lovely!

• Reply Tiffany September 22, 2012 at 8:44 pm

oh how i love handmade dolls! i make dolls usually with wire and paper!

• Reply anastasia September 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

everything looks amazing!!! thanks for sharing the gorgeous craft tables and offerings…

• Reply Emma September 23, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Gracias por tanto detalle!! Tendré que ir en próximo año!!!! :)
    Loved all of your review of the show!! Feels we were there!

• Reply iHanna September 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Adore Isthar’s photographies from the fair, just so awesome to get a little glimps fo all the godness what is there. Wish i could be there too!

• Reply christine from decorated life September 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Looks like a lot of really cute things!! So many great ideas. Thanks for all the photos.. I love the Cat in the Shoe and What Party.. Bet you had the best time!

• Reply Jessica September 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Debbie’s work is so cute! Thanks for sharing

• Reply Elaine September 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Looks utterly amazing, you just don’t get craft fairs like that up here in northern Scotland ((sigh))

• Reply Stella Baggott September 25, 2012 at 12:29 am

Thanks Ishtar for you lovely comments and beautiful photographs. Really glad you like my work and I remember you bought the cloud mobile too. Hope you enjoy. Stella x

• Reply Lucy September 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

What a lovely Blog! Thank you soo much for featuring the cat in the shoe! x

• Reply LILANDCLOE September 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

ISHTAR genial encontrarte aqui! un post increible! hay reunión club del tupper a la vista, viste mail de Rebe? Contamos contigo? es patrocinado, pagan vuelos, hotel… Dinos algo! Un beso!

• Reply Laura September 26, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Very nice photos. I was wondering how you find out about these events? Is there a website that lists fairs such as this? Thanks!

• Reply Perdida en Tiffanys September 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Beutiful fair and beautiful post!!

• Reply kristine October 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Please let us know how to get in contact with Atelier Stella. The ceramic pieces are gorgeous and I would love to know how to purchase. Thanks for the great write-up and introduction to so many great artists.

• Reply Jessica October 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Great pictures. I must go next year.

• Reply stephanie @Babasouk May 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Looks so heavenly!!! I which as was there!! Thanks for sharing! :)