German Stylist Peter Fehrentz

Hi everyone! How is your week going so far? I’m getting ready to go on Martha Stewart Radio – live on the radio and on the web – in a little over 3 hours from now and I’m so nervous but also excited because I don’t know what to expect – I’ve only done radio in Germany so far. (If you want to listen in, read this post for a little how to.) Ha! Okay, so as most of you know, I’m an American living in northern Germany for three years, in fact my 3rd anniversary just passed in August and I’m so impressed by the talent that I see here – there is always something new to stimulate me and I love that. You know how it is when you first relocate though,  you ‘think’ something will be amazing, you are scared to do it, but you do it because you know it will be good for you and then it turns out better than you had imagined. That’s my story.

Peter Fehrentz

Of course, relocation has it’s ups and downs… Happy turns to frustration for a while (usually after the first year) but finally this unbelievable will to succeed kicks in that just drives you forward. Can you relate? We humans are so adaptable, aren’t we? What we think may be a true test ends up being the best moment of our life. Good for us.

Peter Fehrentz

But yes, I feel lucky to live somewhere that has a lot of cool stuff going on in the world of art, design, styling, decorating, food, social media and blogging… My favorite things. I enjoy highlighting the talent that exists in other countries on decor8 simply because I think opening our eyes to outside influences  – ones we may not have a chance to interact with on a regularly basis before the great big internet took over – is thrilling, it’s the stuff that sweetens life!

Peter Fehrentz

For instance, I found out recently that German stylist, Peter Fehrentz, has a book, Made By Yourself, coming out soon and I can’t wait to buy it. He does stories for lots of the big magazines here and is quite talented. I wonder how it will be – if the cover is any indication then I think we’re in for a treat.

Peter Fehrentz

Perhaps he is one to watch… But this is what I mean, I’m always finding something fresh and new in such a small country (compared to the USA) and I’m inspired!

(images: peter fehrentz)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on September 26, 2012

1. mijk commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 9:12pm

Being Dutch I find your mention of German as a small country rather funny ;)
    I am interested how it changes one to change countries and cultures…

2. decor8 commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 9:17pm

@Mijk – Ha, yeah that’s so true!!! Size is relative for sure!

3. Sadee Schilling commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 9:21pm

Good luck on the Martha Stewart radio show, Holly! I’m sure you will be great. It is so wonderful to discover you and your blog–my 2nd anniversary of living in Germany (Hamburg) is coming up next month and I am finally starting to feel what you are describing–amazement at how this relocation WAS meant for my good (despite all the initial frustration and homesickness) and even more so than I even imagined!

Looking forward to learning more from you about the art/design community in Germany–I am an emerging artist myself and need to start putting out feelers in my new-ish “home” community. I wonder, how long did it take you to feel comfortable enough with the German language before starting to network within the country’s art/design scene? Or were you already fluent before you moved here?

4. Glenda Childers commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 9:26pm

Having an eye to the inspiration around you is so fun.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..Stuck

5. Anette@lebenslustiger commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 9:51pm

Oh how fun – Peter and I went to the same design school! Different years though, thats why I unfortunately never got to really know him well…I admire his work too and can’t wait for his book!
    Anette@lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Diamonds Are A Girls best Friend…

6. Eleanor commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 10:54pm

I love the wall with the individual squares of craft and printed papers, such a fresh idea.

7. martha at leonedesign.wordpress.com commented
    September 26th, 2012 at 10:58pm

His wood table in front of a dark charcoal wall is beyond stunning. Haven’t seen something as moody and elegant in a long time. Beautiful.
    martha at leonedesign.wordpress.com´s last blog post ..Color Inspiration

8. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com commented
    September 27th, 2012 at 2:57am

Love the moody styling. So chic.
    Kiran @ KiranTarun.com´s last blog post ..Las Vegas 2012

9. Rami commented
    September 27th, 2012 at 1:11pm

Cool Ideas, I loved everything he did… Most of all I liked the half painted wall and printed papers…

10. Karen commented
    September 27th, 2012 at 6:06pm

Does anyone know where I could find the blue-gray chair (pictured with dog)?

11. Fatou commented
    September 28th, 2012 at 3:39am

Ah I love the pastels…so candylike.
    Fatou´s last blog post ..Photography – Katya de Grunwald

12. how2home commented
    September 28th, 2012 at 4:03pm

The pastel color photos are beautiful! Happy friday!
    how2home´s last blog post ..How2home is featured in the paper today!

13. Pilar commented
    October 7th, 2012 at 2:12pm

So sweet and beautiful!

Pilar´s last blog post .."La Importadora"