German Stylist Peter Fehrentz

September 26, 2012

Hi everyone! How is your week going so far? I’m getting ready to go on Martha Stewart Radio – live on the radio and on the web – in a little over 3 hours from now and I’m so nervous but also excited because I don’t know what to expect – I’ve only done radio in Germany so far. (If you want to listen in, read this post for a little how to.) Ha! Okay, so as most of you know, I’m an American living in northern Germany for three years, in fact my 3rd anniversary just passed in August and I’m so impressed by the talent that I see here – there is always something new to stimulate me and I love that. You know how it is when you first relocate though,  you ‘think’ something will be amazing, you are scared to do it, but you do it because you know it will be good for you and then it turns out better than you had imagined. That’s my story.

German Stylist Peter Fehrentz

Of course, relocation has it’s ups and downs… Happy turns to frustration for a while (usually after the first year) but finally this unbelievable will to succeed kicks in that just drives you forward. Can you relate? We humans are so adaptable, aren’t we? What we think may be a true test ends up being the best moment of our life. Good for us.

German Stylist Peter Fehrentz

But yes, I feel lucky to live somewhere that has a lot of cool stuff going on in the world of art, design, styling, decorating, food, social media and blogging… My favorite things. I enjoy highlighting the talent that exists in other countries on decor8 simply because I think opening our eyes to outside influences  – ones we may not have a chance to interact with on a regularly basis before the great big internet took over – is thrilling, it’s the stuff that sweetens life!

German Stylist Peter Fehrentz

For instance, I found out recently that German stylist, Peter Fehrentz, has a book, Made By Yourself, coming out soon and I can’t wait to buy it. He does stories for lots of the big magazines here and is quite talented. I wonder how it will be – if the cover is any indication then I think we’re in for a treat.

German Stylist Peter Fehrentz

Perhaps he is one to watch… But this is what I mean, I’m always finding something fresh and new in such a small country (compared to the USA) and I’m inspired!

(images: peter fehrentz)

You Might Also Like

• Reply mijk September 26, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Being Dutch I find your mention of German as a small country rather funny ;)
    I am interested how it changes one to change countries and cultures…

• Reply decor8 September 26, 2012 at 9:17 pm

@Mijk – Ha, yeah that’s so true!!! Size is relative for sure!

• Reply Sadee Schilling September 26, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Good luck on the Martha Stewart radio show, Holly! I’m sure you will be great. It is so wonderful to discover you and your blog–my 2nd anniversary of living in Germany (Hamburg) is coming up next month and I am finally starting to feel what you are describing–amazement at how this relocation WAS meant for my good (despite all the initial frustration and homesickness) and even more so than I even imagined!

Looking forward to learning more from you about the art/design community in Germany–I am an emerging artist myself and need to start putting out feelers in my new-ish “home” community. I wonder, how long did it take you to feel comfortable enough with the German language before starting to network within the country’s art/design scene? Or were you already fluent before you moved here?

• Reply Glenda Childers September 26, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Having an eye to the inspiration around you is so fun.

• Reply Anette@lebenslustiger September 26, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Oh how fun – Peter and I went to the same design school! Different years though, thats why I unfortunately never got to really know him well…I admire his work too and can’t wait for his book!

• Reply Eleanor September 26, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I love the wall with the individual squares of craft and printed papers, such a fresh idea.

• Reply martha at September 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm

His wood table in front of a dark charcoal wall is beyond stunning. Haven’t seen something as moody and elegant in a long time. Beautiful.

• Reply Kiran @ September 27, 2012 at 2:57 am

Love the moody styling. So chic.

• Reply Rami September 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Cool Ideas, I loved everything he did… Most of all I liked the half painted wall and printed papers…

• Reply Karen September 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Does anyone know where I could find the blue-gray chair (pictured with dog)?

• Reply Fatou September 28, 2012 at 3:39 am

Ah I love the pastels…so candylike.

• Reply how2home September 28, 2012 at 4:03 pm

The pastel color photos are beautiful! Happy friday!

• Reply Pilar October 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm