Sandra Juto’s Berlin Apartment

I was so excited when I woke up this morning to finally see the long awaited feature that FvonF, a German interiors blog based in Berlin, had planned for my friend, Sandra Juto, and her husband Johan Pergenius! Here is a quick peek into their Berlin apartment, located in Friedrichshain, but the FvonF blog has many more photos plus a lovely interview.

Sandra Jutos' Berlin Apartment

I put FvonF in touch with Sandra and Johan not long after they moved to Berlin from Sweden, so it was good to see that FvonF fell in love with Sandra and Johan too. It makes me happy to see more of Sandra’s apartment online – I’ve often wondered what her kitchen looks like – now I know. Her pretty apartment is so inspiring to me – I love the old German ‘altbauwohnung” details seen in so many of the turn of the century buildings that we have here. The herringbone wooden floors, high ceilings, plasterwork on the ceiling, it’s all so inspiring to me. I love the natural light and the painted wooden floors in Sandra’s office. Don’t forget to notice how she arranged her Polaroids on the wall…

Sandra Jutos' Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos' Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos' Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos' Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos' Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos' Berlin Apartment

I LOVED the part of their interview where they went into a bit of the emotional process involved in finding their apartment. I’ll quote Sandra and Johan directly from FvonF . Sandra explained, “The online photos of the apartment looked so terrible (in an intriguing way) that we had to come see it to compare it to the other, more polished, places we had looked at. When we stepped inside we looked at each other and we couldn’t ignore the fact that we both had fallen in love with the place. The condition of the apartment was more or less a disaster. The previous tenant lived here for 40 years before she died and seemed to like chain-smoking more than cleaning.” And I couldn’t help but laugh at how Johan described the first viewing, “When we showed up for the viewing, the real estate agent said we were brave to come see it. He was sitting in his car outside because he was so sure that no one would come.” What a riot! And what a good example of how one has to believe in something for themselves – who cares what others think – even when it comes to home selection. YOU have to love it.

View the entire interview here.

(images: Philipp Langenheim)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on October 17, 2012

1. Tina from A Few Pretty Things commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 11:16am

I love the polaroids collection on the wall!
    Tina from A Few Pretty Things´s last blog post ..Time for some fall decoration

2. Tiffany Grant-Riley commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 11:27am

That apartment would have had me at hello, warts and all. What a beautiful space to live in.
    Tiffany Grant-Riley´s last blog post ..Yearning For White Space Living

3. Tiina - Fanni ja Kaneli commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 11:31am

I have followed Sandra’s work for years now, and was thrilled to see a peak to her home here. Lovely. The unfinished looking surfaces bring so much character in the apartment!
    Tiina – Fanni ja Kaneli´s last blog post ..Espanjalainen katkarapu-papupannu

4. Rhys Gwyn commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 11:54am

The wing chairs are brilliantly quirky, got to love them.

5. tinajo commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 12:14pm

It´s a beautiful place, just lovely! Great mix of things and charming!
    tinajo´s last blog post ..OK, hold your horses now..!

6. Marie commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 12:47pm

what a beautiful place! Love the lights!!
    Marie´s last blog post ..I heart Ballet!!!

7. Glenda Childers commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 12:56pm

I think househunting always takes bravery.
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..A perfect autumnal day

8. Judith commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 1:19pm

Such a surprise to see Sandra & Johan and their very charming apartment on FvonF! Loved the interview too!
    Judith´s last blog post ..The balcony scene

9. Anette@lebenslustiger commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 1:52pm

I love the story about their apartment. It reminds me of when I ‘m vacationing at a beach. I tend to get nervous in the morning because so many people are already out looking for treasures – but I know, I will anyway be much more interested in the stuff that others don’t look at and leave behind …
    Looking at the pictures of Sandra’s apartment it almost feels to me as if the walls and windows would talk. You can literally feel and hear all the big and small happenings from the past…
    Anette@lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Leather Bracelet Tutorial With A Little Trick (And Give Away!)

10. Yelle commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 1:59pm

I’m a sucker for Polaroids on the wall!
    Yelle´s last blog post ..Weddings + incorporating books

11. Samira commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 2:19pm

love the rooms!!!
    Samira´s last blog post ..A J.Crew Toothpick

12. Tracy A. commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 2:26pm

13. caroline @trend-daily commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 2:36pm

Oh my, what a gorgeous place-and I love the way FvF take their completely natural shots too. I love all the period apartments you have in Hannover-visited my friends there many times back in the 90s, but I expect its changed so much since then. Look forward to your book signing Holly! :-)
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Mini Moodboards

14. Nina commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 5:33pm

What a lovely space they created for themselves! Love that they kept one wall unfinished and all the little details that make the space. If I ever move back to Germany I would prefer living in an Altbau as well…

15. Eleanor commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 10:06pm

Oh man. Looking at these pics makes me want a big ‘ol beautiful altbau Berlin apartment with lots of charm and character at a fraction of Munich prices. Oh well!

16. Vicki commented
    October 18th, 2012 at 12:18am

What a beautiful story and a really lovely apartment … I could live there in a heartbeat. There’s something about imperfection that’s so intriguing! Our last home was built in 1918 and a had a lot of character. :)

Thanks for sharing, sweet Holly. xo

17. KMP commented
    October 18th, 2012 at 1:19am

Jealous … Love the unfinished look and the high ceilings!…. this is the thing… in Europe you find small apartments with such a personality !… so hard to find here… especially in Miami
    KMP´s last blog post ..Modern Ceilings that make a difference

18. stephanie @ Baba Souk commented
    October 18th, 2012 at 4:47am

So inspiring! Calls for creativity. Would definitely live in this space.

19. Lena @minamoka commented
    October 18th, 2012 at 11:01am

Yes! So refreshing to see a place full of style, taste, and LIFE! Makes me wanna become friends with them right away ;) Thanks for the link, haven´t been to the fvonf blog for a while.
    Lena @minamoka´s last blog post ..BALKAN STYLE

20. sylvia kuhlee commented
    October 18th, 2012 at 4:37pm

I use to live in Berlin Friedrichshain, so funny to come across this apartment on Pinterest….. I now live in Cool, California and sometimes miss these old character building in the old parts of berlin….

21. how2home commented
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:50am

Such a beautiful and calm space. I ADORE the Polaroid gallery wall, such a great idea!
    how2home´s last blog post ..Celebrating with my grandma

22. Will commented
    October 19th, 2012 at 8:56am

Nice place! It’s a good reminder that home is such an important place. I better pull my socks up and sort our flat out

23. Barnabé dans l'atelier commented
    October 19th, 2012 at 9:27am

So simple, but so beautiful.
    I love the windows, il love the polaroids.
    (and thats not the question, but I love Berlin !)

Thank you for those photos.

24. Pilar commented
    October 19th, 2012 at 11:06pm

Woww! that’s incredibly beautiful! :O

25. Rincy Koshy commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 8:42pm

In love with this space! Be still my heart ;)
    Rincy Koshy´s last blog post ..Dun Laoghaire

26. iHanna commented
    October 27th, 2012 at 5:33pm

Thanks for sharing link + photos, what a white dream this is!
    iHanna´s last blog post ..List Prompt #7: Things i know

27. Cathy Dawkins commented
    November 28th, 2012 at 11:33pm

The unfinished wall is beyond gorgeous. Was it left that way during the fixing-up process? I feel like a wall that perfectly imperfect had to be created naturally, but who knows…there are some talented decorators out there! :) I love that the style is very spare, simplistic but so open and beautiful. Definitely the home of an artist.

28. Cathy D commented
    November 28th, 2012 at 11:35pm

29. Fiona Maclean commented
    January 11th, 2013 at 6:57pm

Scandanavian designs are so clever. I really wish I could live in such a fabulous space!