Home Tours

Sandra Juto’s Berlin Apartment

October 17, 2012

I was so excited when I woke up this morning to finally see the long awaited feature that FvonF, a German interiors blog based in Berlin, had planned for my friend, Sandra Juto, and her husband Johan Pergenius! Here is a quick peek into their Berlin apartment, located in Friedrichshain, but the FvonF blog has many more photos plus a lovely interview.

Sandra Jutos Berlin Apartment

I put FvonF in touch with Sandra and Johan not long after they moved to Berlin from Sweden, so it was good to see that FvonF fell in love with Sandra and Johan too. It makes me happy to see more of Sandra’s apartment online – I’ve often wondered what her kitchen looks like – now I know. Her pretty apartment is so inspiring to me – I love the old German ‘altbauwohnung” details seen in so many of the turn of the century buildings that we have here. The herringbone wooden floors, high ceilings, plasterwork on the ceiling, it’s all so inspiring to me. I love the natural light and the painted wooden floors in Sandra’s office. Don’t forget to notice how she arranged her Polaroids on the wall…

Sandra Jutos Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos Berlin Apartment

Sandra Jutos Berlin Apartment

I LOVED the part of their interview where they went into a bit of the emotional process involved in finding their apartment. I’ll quote Sandra and Johan directly from FvonF . Sandra explained, “The online photos of the apartment looked so terrible (in an intriguing way) that we had to come see it to compare it to the other, more polished, places we had looked at. When we stepped inside we looked at each other and we couldn’t ignore the fact that we both had fallen in love with the place. The condition of the apartment was more or less a disaster. The previous tenant lived here for 40 years before she died and seemed to like chain-smoking more than cleaning.” And I couldn’t help but laugh at how Johan described the first viewing, “When we showed up for the viewing, the real estate agent said we were brave to come see it. He was sitting in his car outside because he was so sure that no one would come.” What a riot! And what a good example of how one has to believe in something for themselves – who cares what others think – even when it comes to home selection. YOU have to love it.

View the entire interview here.

(images: Philipp Langenheim)

You Might Also Like

30 Comments

• Reply Tina from A Few Pretty Things October 17, 2012 at 11:16 am

I love the polaroids collection on the wall!

• Reply Tiffany Grant-Riley October 17, 2012 at 11:27 am

That apartment would have had me at hello, warts and all. What a beautiful space to live in.

• Reply Tiina - Fanni ja Kaneli October 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

I have followed Sandra’s work for years now, and was thrilled to see a peak to her home here. Lovely. The unfinished looking surfaces bring so much character in the apartment!

• Reply Rhys Gwyn October 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

The wing chairs are brilliantly quirky, got to love them.

• Reply tinajo October 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

It´s a beautiful place, just lovely! Great mix of things and charming!

• Reply Marie October 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

what a beautiful place! Love the lights!!

• Reply Glenda Childers October 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I think househunting always takes bravery.

• Reply Judith October 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Such a surprise to see Sandra & Johan and their very charming apartment on FvonF! Loved the interview too!

• Reply Anette@lebenslustiger October 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love the story about their apartment. It reminds me of when I ‘m vacationing at a beach. I tend to get nervous in the morning because so many people are already out looking for treasures – but I know, I will anyway be much more interested in the stuff that others don’t look at and leave behind …
    Looking at the pictures of Sandra’s apartment it almost feels to me as if the walls and windows would talk. You can literally feel and hear all the big and small happenings from the past…

• Reply Yelle October 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’m a sucker for Polaroids on the wall!

• Reply Samira October 17, 2012 at 2:19 pm

love the rooms!!!

• Reply Tracy A. October 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

So open and airy! I love the unfinished wall.

• Reply caroline @trend-daily October 17, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Oh my, what a gorgeous place-and I love the way FvF take their completely natural shots too. I love all the period apartments you have in Hannover-visited my friends there many times back in the 90s, but I expect its changed so much since then. Look forward to your book signing Holly! :-)

• Reply Nina October 17, 2012 at 5:33 pm

What a lovely space they created for themselves! Love that they kept one wall unfinished and all the little details that make the space. If I ever move back to Germany I would prefer living in an Altbau as well…

• Reply Eleanor October 17, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Oh man. Looking at these pics makes me want a big ‘ol beautiful altbau Berlin apartment with lots of charm and character at a fraction of Munich prices. Oh well!

• Reply Vicki October 18, 2012 at 12:18 am

What a beautiful story and a really lovely apartment … I could live there in a heartbeat. There’s something about imperfection that’s so intriguing! Our last home was built in 1918 and a had a lot of character. :)

Thanks for sharing, sweet Holly. xo

• Reply KMP October 18, 2012 at 1:19 am

Jealous … Love the unfinished look and the high ceilings!…. this is the thing… in Europe you find small apartments with such a personality !… so hard to find here… especially in Miami

• Reply stephanie @ Baba Souk October 18, 2012 at 4:47 am

So inspiring! Calls for creativity. Would definitely live in this space.

• Reply Lena @minamoka October 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

Yes! So refreshing to see a place full of style, taste, and LIFE! Makes me wanna become friends with them right away ;) Thanks for the link, haven´t been to the fvonf blog for a while.

• Reply sylvia kuhlee October 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I use to live in Berlin Friedrichshain, so funny to come across this apartment on Pinterest….. I now live in Cool, California and sometimes miss these old character building in the old parts of berlin….

• Reply how2home October 19, 2012 at 12:50 am

Such a beautiful and calm space. I ADORE the Polaroid gallery wall, such a great idea!

• Reply Will October 19, 2012 at 8:56 am

Nice place! It’s a good reminder that home is such an important place. I better pull my socks up and sort our flat out

• Reply Barnabé dans l'atelier October 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

So simple, but so beautiful.
    I love the windows, il love the polaroids.
    (and thats not the question, but I love Berlin !)

Thank you for those photos.

• Reply Pilar October 19, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Woww! that’s incredibly beautiful! :O

• Reply Rincy Koshy October 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm

In love with this space! Be still my heart ;)

• Reply iHanna October 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thanks for sharing link + photos, what a white dream this is!

• Reply Cathy Dawkins November 28, 2012 at 11:33 pm

The unfinished wall is beyond gorgeous. Was it left that way during the fixing-up process? I feel like a wall that perfectly imperfect had to be created naturally, but who knows…there are some talented decorators out there! :) I love that the style is very spare, simplistic but so open and beautiful. Definitely the home of an artist.

• Reply Cathy D November 28, 2012 at 11:35 pm

• Reply Fiona Maclean January 11, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Scandanavian designs are so clever. I really wish I could live in such a fabulous space!

• Reply Inw December 18, 2014 at 5:09 pm

What a great apartment, they really did a great job decorating it. This kind of articles really helps me to find ideas for my own interior. I also got a lot of inspiration of of Inspirerend Wonen.