Shopgirl Visits Lotta Jansdotter’s Studio in Brooklyn

Good afternoon decor8 readers, it is Jillian here with another edition of Shopgirl Visits — fresh off the plane from New York! When planning my New York trip a few weeks ago, I decided to arrange some shop shoots. I used Sibella Court’s ‘The Stylist’s Guide to NYC’ as a starting point but I also asked Holly for a few suggestions and she pointed me to Lotta Jansdotter. Photographing Lotta’s Brooklyn studio was at the top of the list so I sent an email and an appointment was scheduled. Mission (almost) accomplished!

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Tour for decor8

You know who Lotta Jansdotter is, right? Just in case you don’t, she’s a Swedish designer extraordinaire who lives and works in Brooklyn, New York and you’ll find her distinctive designs on fabrics, clothing, greeting cards, rugs, bags and crockery. She’s also absolutely lovely and I was made to feel very welcome during my visit in her light-filled studio located in an old warehouse in the district of Gowanus in Brooklyn. Would you like to join me on a little tour of her workspace?

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Tour for decor8

This is the main work area.

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Tour for decor8

Lotta’s studio space has a Scandinavian design aesthetic, which really appeals to me.

A mood board.

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Tour for decor8

Some lovely little vignettes.

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Tour for decor8

Colourful fabrics, tape and garlands. These pretty washi tapes with her designs and the wonderful decals make me want to get crafty!

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Tour for decor8

Lotta’s new collection in shades of blue for the iconic store, Fishs Eddy.

Lotta Jansdotter Studio Tour for decor8

Some tools of the trade.

I hope you enjoyed my little tour of Lotta’s studio, located at 131 8th Street Brooklyn NY. Lotta has a blog which you’ll find here and she also runs printing workshops from the studio. You can get all the details about the workshops here.

I’ll see you again in November with another fabulous New York find. Until then, – Jillian

(photos & text: jillian leiboff)

Posted by decor8 in Shopgirl Visits on October 22, 2012

1. Esther commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 2:36pm

You did NOT visit La Lotta!! I ma SO jealous, I am such a big fan of her work. Her designs are simple, clean and just lovely. Het studio looks amazing. Thanx for sharing this with us!!
    Esther.
    Esther´s last blog post ..A day out in Antwerp

2. vrensen_Hamburg von Innen commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 2:41pm

I love the painted vases at the window…lovely idea!
    vrensen_Hamburg von Innen´s last blog post ..Was macht eigentlich Frau Brunner?

3. kylie commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 2:43pm

So lovely i loved everything I saw.

4. caroline @trend-daily commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 2:46pm

How wonderful to have seen her studio. Really loved these behind the scenes shots of such a talented lady. Looking forward to your next shopgirl visit-thank you! :-)
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Styling Details

5. Yelle commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 3:05pm

What a great space! I adore Sibella Court, she knows of all the best places, like this!

6. Michele commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 3:15pm

Sooo, gorgeous! Just the perfect place to create. I especially love her sewing machine! WOW!

7. Glenda Childers commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 5:21pm

YOU made us feel welcomed, too.
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..For those mornings you do not feel like getting out of bed (and for the mornings you do)

8. bethania commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 6:25pm

Thank you so much for this tour. I love Lotta’s work and felt that a huge coincidence had happened. Before going to sleep, yesterday, I did a simple drawing of a bottle to use as a stencil on a gelatin printmaking venture today. For my surprise, I open this post and find lovely bottles of Lotta. Wow. As a lover of her work and a lover of bottles and vases of flower, I felt so reassured in seeing all this stuff here. Thank you so much.
    bethania´s last blog post ..Waiting

9. Charlotte commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 9:50pm

Oh. Wow. She’s amazing. I’ve loved her work for years now – and there are so many wonderful new lines in her range. Very exciting – I’m off to look at her website now.

10. Tracy A. commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 10:31pm

There is a town called Fishs Eddy on the NY/Pennsylvania border. While I’m sure that the town is fine – I think that I enjoy the store more!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post .."Time and tide wait for no man." ~ Geoffrey Chaucer

11. Ellen McHale commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 10:54pm

It would be so great to attend one of her studio sessions.

12. Yna commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 10:56pm

Oh I love Lottas work. So wonderful Things. Thanks for the little Tour.
    Yna´s last blog post ..Homestyle Pics

13. Kandy commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 10:58pm

Thank you for such a beautiful splash of inspiration, especially since we are having such a rainy day. I do admit I’m also a bit jealous!

14. Molly commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 11:25pm

such an inspirational space. sibella court can do no wrong!
    Molly´s last blog post ..Paris: An Inspiring Tour of the Cities Creative Heart

15. Pilar Giménez Almalé commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 11:48pm

What a beautiful studio and designs… so inspiring!!

16. Jahje commented
    October 22nd, 2012 at 11:54pm

What beautiful space – I adore her work and this is such a treat to glimpse into her space. Complete eye candy!
    Jahje´s last blog post ..I spy a birdie

17. julian hazlett commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 12:49am

I get excited when I see anything about Lotta, her studio and her work. Thanks so much for the post.

18. georgia commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 1:06am

this house is perfect
    xx

19. fenny setiawan commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 3:12am

Love everything about Lotta. Thanks for sharing the ‘behind the scene’ photos. I really love this ‘shop girl visit’ edition. It allow me to experience and see beautiful shops all over the globe (even though only virtually for now). Hope one day could visit them.

20. dervla @ The Curator commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 7:25am

Ahhh, love Lotta! Her office is so inspiring :)
    dervla @ The Curator´s last blog post ..Too much internet

21. Die Landfrau commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 8:35am

Next time I will join you, Holly. ;-) Lottas Work office is amazing! I need these masking tapes!

22. Katrin commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 10:29am

Really great post! I love the studio.

23. Sari commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 10:37am

Such an amazing studio! I love every single photo. It’s a great inspiration post if you ask me. A the storage ideas, patterns and colors. Thanks for sharing!

x Sari
    Sari´s last blog post ..DIY round-up

24. Lotta Jansdotter commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 4:45pm

Thank you Jillian for your visit !
    Those are some rather lovely shots from my Brooklyn , NY, studio and store .

We love visitors and any of you are welcome , just call ahead or make an appointment to make sure we are in; would be terrible sad it me missed you !

Leran more here : http://www.jansdotter.com/about/studio

Tusen Tack ! Vi ses Lotta

25. Ursula commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 5:12pm

Hi! I’m a fan of your blog and your book (and can’t wait for your second book to come out!) I am from Peru, my husband is from Mexico. We live in Peru and we will travel to NYC next week. It will be my husband’s first time in the Big Apple. We are both design lovers. If you have any suggestions of must-see design shops, we are all ears. Thanks!!!

26. Laura Passey commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 6:53pm

I love to see inside other designers’ studios. Makes me happy! All that creativity! Thank you for the post x

27. Delishhh commented
    October 23rd, 2012 at 8:12pm

Being a Swede myself i love Lotta’s work! Just gorgeous stuff! I have a little online boutique that you would love if you like Lotta’s stuff – check it out and let me know what you think http://www.splendidavenue.com
    Delishhh´s last blog post ..Chocolate Chip Cookies

28. Kendahl King commented
    October 24th, 2012 at 7:33am

@Delishhh: Your store is so cute! I have a website/blog where we scour paper and posts curating unique buys. The Lotta studio is superb; we will be featuring Decor8 on our site soon. We’ll let you know when we do.

29. Daniela commented
    October 24th, 2012 at 6:35pm

Love Lotta’s studio! It has so many great little touches that make it such a great creative space.

30. D.U.R.A commented
    October 26th, 2012 at 5:04pm

I have a big fan of Lotta’s work and I so glad to been able to have a peek of her studio! Thanks Holly!

31. CASA E COSE commented
    October 29th, 2012 at 3:17pm

Oh if i ever go to New York then i have to visit her somehow. She is a great inspiration and I would love to be her intern and LEARN – even if im too old to be an intern….maybe a course?! Cant someone do a course online that i can do?!?

32. Jillian commented
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:17pm

I’m glad you all enjoyed my little studio tour. I hope you enjoyt the next one just as much.
    Jillian´s last blog post ..lotta jansdotter