Home Tours

Lotta Jansdotter’s Studio in Brooklyn

October 22, 2012

Good afternoon decor8 readers, it is Jillian here with another edition of Shopgirl Visits — fresh off the plane from New York! When planning my New York trip a few weeks ago, I decided to arrange some shop shoots. I used Sibella Court’s ‘The Stylist’s Guide to NYC’ as a starting point but I also asked Holly for a few suggestions and she pointed me to Lotta Jansdotter. Photographing Lotta’s Brooklyn studio was at the top of the list so I sent an email and an appointment was scheduled. Mission (almost) accomplished!

Lotta Jansdotters Studio in Brooklyn

You know who Lotta Jansdotter is, right? Just in case you don’t, she’s a Swedish designer extraordinaire who lives and works in Brooklyn, New York and you’ll find her distinctive designs on fabrics, clothing, greeting cards, rugs, bags and crockery. She’s also absolutely lovely and I was made to feel very welcome during my visit in her light-filled studio located in an old warehouse in the district of Gowanus in Brooklyn. Would you like to join me on a little tour of her workspace?

Lotta Jansdotters Studio in Brooklyn

This is the main work area.

Lotta Jansdotters Studio in Brooklyn

Lotta’s studio space has a Scandinavian design aesthetic, which really appeals to me.

A mood board.

Lotta Jansdotters Studio in Brooklyn

Some lovely little vignettes.

Lotta Jansdotters Studio in Brooklyn

Colourful fabrics, tape and garlands. These pretty washi tapes with her designs and the wonderful decals make me want to get crafty!

Lotta Jansdotters Studio in Brooklyn

Lotta’s new collection in shades of blue for the iconic store, Fishs Eddy.

Lotta Jansdotters Studio in Brooklyn

Some tools of the trade.

I hope you enjoyed my little tour of Lotta’s studio, located at 131 8th Street Brooklyn NY. Lotta has a blog which you’ll find here and she also runs printing workshops from the studio. You can get all the details about the workshops here.

I’ll see you again in November with another fabulous New York find. Until then, – Jillian

(photos & text: jillian leiboff)

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

• Reply Esther October 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm

You did NOT visit La Lotta!! I ma SO jealous, I am such a big fan of her work. Her designs are simple, clean and just lovely. Het studio looks amazing. Thanx for sharing this with us!!
    Esther.

• Reply vrensen_Hamburg von Innen October 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I love the painted vases at the window…lovely idea!

• Reply kylie October 22, 2012 at 2:43 pm

So lovely i loved everything I saw.

• Reply caroline @trend-daily October 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm

How wonderful to have seen her studio. Really loved these behind the scenes shots of such a talented lady. Looking forward to your next shopgirl visit-thank you! :-)

• Reply Yelle October 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

What a great space! I adore Sibella Court, she knows of all the best places, like this!

• Reply Michele October 22, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Sooo, gorgeous! Just the perfect place to create. I especially love her sewing machine! WOW!

• Reply Glenda Childers October 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

YOU made us feel welcomed, too.

• Reply bethania October 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Thank you so much for this tour. I love Lotta’s work and felt that a huge coincidence had happened. Before going to sleep, yesterday, I did a simple drawing of a bottle to use as a stencil on a gelatin printmaking venture today. For my surprise, I open this post and find lovely bottles of Lotta. Wow. As a lover of her work and a lover of bottles and vases of flower, I felt so reassured in seeing all this stuff here. Thank you so much.

• Reply Charlotte October 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Oh. Wow. She’s amazing. I’ve loved her work for years now – and there are so many wonderful new lines in her range. Very exciting – I’m off to look at her website now.

• Reply Tracy A. October 22, 2012 at 10:31 pm

There is a town called Fishs Eddy on the NY/Pennsylvania border. While I’m sure that the town is fine – I think that I enjoy the store more!

• Reply Ellen McHale October 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm

It would be so great to attend one of her studio sessions.

• Reply Yna October 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Oh I love Lottas work. So wonderful Things. Thanks for the little Tour.

• Reply Kandy October 22, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Thank you for such a beautiful splash of inspiration, especially since we are having such a rainy day. I do admit I’m also a bit jealous!

• Reply Molly October 22, 2012 at 11:25 pm

such an inspirational space. sibella court can do no wrong!

• Reply Pilar Giménez Almalé October 22, 2012 at 11:48 pm

What a beautiful studio and designs… so inspiring!!

• Reply Jahje October 22, 2012 at 11:54 pm

What beautiful space – I adore her work and this is such a treat to glimpse into her space. Complete eye candy!

• Reply julian hazlett October 23, 2012 at 12:49 am

I get excited when I see anything about Lotta, her studio and her work. Thanks so much for the post.

• Reply georgia October 23, 2012 at 1:06 am

this house is perfect
    xx

• Reply fenny setiawan October 23, 2012 at 3:12 am

Love everything about Lotta. Thanks for sharing the ‘behind the scene’ photos. I really love this ‘shop girl visit’ edition. It allow me to experience and see beautiful shops all over the globe (even though only virtually for now). Hope one day could visit them.

• Reply dervla @ The Curator October 23, 2012 at 7:25 am

Ahhh, love Lotta! Her office is so inspiring :)

• Reply Die Landfrau October 23, 2012 at 8:35 am

Next time I will join you, Holly. ;-) Lottas Work office is amazing! I need these masking tapes!

• Reply Katrin October 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

Really great post! I love the studio.

• Reply Sari October 23, 2012 at 10:37 am

Such an amazing studio! I love every single photo. It’s a great inspiration post if you ask me. A the storage ideas, patterns and colors. Thanks for sharing!

x Sari

• Reply Lotta Jansdotter October 23, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thank you Jillian for your visit !
    Those are some rather lovely shots from my Brooklyn , NY, studio and store .

We love visitors and any of you are welcome , just call ahead or make an appointment to make sure we are in; would be terrible sad it me missed you !

Leran more here : http://www.jansdotter.com/about/studio

Tusen Tack ! Vi ses Lotta

• Reply Ursula October 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Hi! I’m a fan of your blog and your book (and can’t wait for your second book to come out!) I am from Peru, my husband is from Mexico. We live in Peru and we will travel to NYC next week. It will be my husband’s first time in the Big Apple. We are both design lovers. If you have any suggestions of must-see design shops, we are all ears. Thanks!!!

• Reply Laura Passey October 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I love to see inside other designers’ studios. Makes me happy! All that creativity! Thank you for the post x

• Reply Delishhh October 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Being a Swede myself i love Lotta’s work! Just gorgeous stuff! I have a little online boutique that you would love if you like Lotta’s stuff – check it out and let me know what you think http://www.splendidavenue.com

• Reply Kendahl King October 24, 2012 at 7:33 am

@Delishhh: Your store is so cute! I have a website/blog where we scour paper and posts curating unique buys. The Lotta studio is superb; we will be featuring Decor8 on our site soon. We’ll let you know when we do.

• Reply Daniela October 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Love Lotta’s studio! It has so many great little touches that make it such a great creative space.

• Reply D.U.R.A October 26, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I have a big fan of Lotta’s work and I so glad to been able to have a peek of her studio! Thanks Holly!

• Reply CASA E COSE October 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Oh if i ever go to New York then i have to visit her somehow. She is a great inspiration and I would love to be her intern and LEARN – even if im too old to be an intern….maybe a course?! Cant someone do a course online that i can do?!?

• Reply Jillian October 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I’m glad you all enjoyed my little studio tour. I hope you enjoyt the next one just as much.