Inspirational Food Blog: Milas Deli

A funny thing happened to me recently. I don’t recall when exactly, but let us say it was this past Spring because I really believe it was then. Anyway, I was perusing the Wednesday morning farmers’ market in the local square, strolling from the flower stall to the bread cart, when someone most pleasant with clear eyes and an overall lovely appearance, looked straight at me to exclaim, “Holly! You are from the blog decor8….”, and well taken a bit off guard (as you can imagine) I agreed that indeed I was and asked whom she might be and a conversation ensued. I learned that she reads decor8, runs a beautiful blog herself and that she goes by Milas Deli or Susanne Irmer.

Milas Deli

From there, we exchanged emails and she shared a link to Milas Deli with me. Upon clicking, my jaw dropped. It was one of the most beautiful food blogs I’d come across in awhile…

In fact, Milas Deli left me with a very calm feeling, it made me FEEL something for food much like Nigella does – and unlike some cooks and food blogs out there which often make me overwhelmed because they’re so perfectly perfect (who really serves perfect food night after night) and overly propped, Milas Deli felt natural and light and the way I feel when I’m eating with friends… Completely in love with the wine, the food and the friendship – not the perfectly perfected recipes and the over-the-topness of the table decor – but of the beauty found in a more relaxed approach to eating that so many westerners are seeking to get back – pleasure, joy, simplicity. I need to connect emotion to food. It cannot be all about overly propped food shots and recipes that are so complicated that I feel discouraged and slightly unfeminine trying to cook them. When I cook, I want to feel like a woman – feeding my family and providing something with soul. Yes, that’s it – I need a soul connection or in this case, a head-to-heart-to-stomach connection. A blog like Milas Deli gives me good energy when it comes to food – from presentation to cooking to licking your fingers clean. I commend her for authoring such an inspiring space.

Milas Deli

Truth is, Milas Deli has really had an influence on me ever since I first found Susanne in the farmers’ market here in Hannover, Germany where I live. I read her blog whenever I can, though I do cheat a bit and read in Google Chrome often after translating it into English because I don’t want to miss out on anything until my German is fluent. Plus, no matter how well I learn my new second language, English is my mother tongue and so there is comfort when reading it especially if a topic is somewhat emotional in the first place. And food is so super emotional. The way you prepare it, the love you put into it, the passion.

My husband is the male version of Nigella. When he cooks you see his passion in action. He prepares without following a single recipe yet the things he makes evokes feelings that only food from a dear husband or your grandmother can bring to the table – his food is comfort, soulful, made with love, nourishing. He made a simple chicken vegetable soup last week that felt like a bowl full of love. I imagined as I ate it (I can be very animated truth be told) that little hearts were floating around in the broth. I felt love with each bite. I often wish my husband would make a cookbook and write stories around his recipes but because he does his best work when he’s not in the spotlight, he most likely will save the kitchen for his family and I respect him for that. It’s sexy to watch someone cook like that though, isn’t it? (Nigella is so sexy when she cooks.)

Milas Deli

But I digress. Back to Susanne and her blog. Her photography is stunning but she also takes a very journalistic approach to her work and the stories she tells, the shoots she produces, the locations she captures. Her story angles are great and so are her literal angles as she moves around her subjects from cafes to chefs to a plate of ravioli. I admire the work that goes into a blog like hers so very much. In fact, I was stunned and happy when she enrolled in my online course, Blogging Your Way, this past June. What an honor to have her. I felt like she could teach me a thing or two about taking photos!

Milas Deli

Milas Deli

Milas Deli

I recently ran into Susanne with another friend of mine, Berit, in the local forest. I didn’t recognize her at first – she had her hair up (I first met her when it was down) and it was a bit wet out – but the moment she said her blog name I knew immediately who she was and felt so embarrassed that one of her biggest fans had a momentary lapse of memory, forgetting those very eyes and the warmth that greeted me on that day in Spring when I first met a talented new friend. I’m sorry Susanne but hopefully this post makes up for that and perhaps it will win me a spot near to her one day for a cup of coffee and a friendly chat. I’d like that.

(Photography: milas deli/Susanne Irmer)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, food on October 25, 2012

1. Caroline @trend-daily commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 12:49am

What a wonderful looking blog :-)
    Caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Styling Details

2. shanon commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 1:18am

Mmmmmm… reading this, was like reading a love letter. That’s the only way I can describe it, although, it doesn’t quite sound right. ; )
    What a lovely story Holly, and her blog is stellar. Makes me sorta wish I could do two things at once in the kitchen. Cook AND take photos. But the way I feel when I cook; totally free, creative, and like a caretaker, just don’t leave enough room to stop and shoot. I’m always so impressed with people who can do both.
    I hope you get that cup of coffee soon! =)
    shanon´s last blog post ..Our Year of Photos: week 42

3. Rebekah commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 1:35am

Wow. The photos from Milas Deli are amazing. First time checking out your bog, very nice :)
    Rebekah´s last blog post ..Monday Coffee Break: The Best of the Weekend

4. Sandra commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 2:12am

Just a quick comment while I am at my daughter’s soccer practice….I always know that I’ll find something interesting on your blog. That goes without saying, right? But what I appreciate just as much or even more is HOW you describe the blog or shop or stylist or designer. You set the bar high in how you inject your own personality in your descriptions. How you “make your case” for why we should care.

It challenges me to up my game and step by step better my own writing.
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Before and After – the Ensuite

5. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 2:18am

Every single picture says ‘YUM” to me!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..The Dream Captured | Rest

6. Carolina Elizabeth commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 3:44am

Thank you so much for sharing! Your blog is so inspiring. I always look forward to your new posts, as they keep me painting. I hope you come by and visit my blog….. Warm regards,
    Carolina E.

7. apetyczneW commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 8:56am

I love places like this! :)

8. Caroline commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 9:50am

I have called blogfriends by their blogname…. And people sometimes call me “Caro-lines” as my shop is called. Modern way of friends.

Love the image with all the lamps.

9. Toni @ Skandivis commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 9:58am

Loving these beautiful shots! Lotta lotta passion here x

10. nina commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 12:06pm

@shanon: yes, a real love letter :) so nice. an susannes blog is wonderful!
    nina´s last blog post ..quiche(e)

11. Wendy (The Local Cook) commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 1:38pm

I love how you describe the feeling we can get from food blogs. I, too, love reading stories behind the recipes and the gorgeous photos. Someday I hope my photography will improve to that level. In the meantime I’ll just enjoy others’ beautiful work.
    Wendy (The Local Cook)´s last blog post ..Diners, Immigration, and American Food

12. Lucia commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 2:29pm

After taking a look at that blog I understand why you love it from the first time! It remember me about my grandmother and all the love that she cooked for her family! thanks Holly!

13. Lykkelig commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 3:54pm
  14. kinga commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 4:29pm

What a beautiful blog and you’re right, there is something deeply personal about the photos…LOVELY!
    kinga´s last blog post ..Letterpress business cards…finally!

15. Marjory commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 7:23pm

“I need to connect emotion to food.” Ah, isn’t this the key to everything? Lovely. Thanks for sharing all that inspires you.

16. Eleanor commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 9:39pm

I love how this post sums not only the joy and love in food in cooking but how powerful and important making offline connections is.

Also, a question about a pic on Susanne’s blog: Do you know if there is anyway I can position myself under that tube spouting olive oil, open my mouth and just lie there for about an hour or two? Gorgeous photos indeed!

17. Merissa commented
    October 25th, 2012 at 11:53pm

Oh goodness! I was hooked when I saw the first photo. I’m amazed and so refreshed to see Susanne’s work. I totally see what you’re saying about overly propped photos. Truth is that everything doesn’t have to look perfect all the time. It’s a real eye opener and advice that I’m taking away with me. I love Suzanne’s approach entirely, so organic and real! I’m sure you two will meet up for some coffee or even get treated by one of her special meals :)
    Merissa´s last blog post ..{Calligraphy}

18. Sabine commented
    October 26th, 2012 at 12:06pm

What a lovely location! Thanks for showing!

19. uschi commented
    October 26th, 2012 at 12:10pm

very beautifully written, holly ! thank you for sharing

20. Taina Muller commented
    October 26th, 2012 at 5:16pm

I love the way you writte! smooth words!

21. Linda commented
    October 27th, 2012 at 12:30am

OMG! Love fresh pasta! We went to Italy with the whole extended family for a reunion 2 years ago and this reminded me so much of that great time we had! Although the pics are still and static, you see the movement and life behind the pictures.
    Linda´s last blog post ..Fear Factor Memory Game

22. Laura Photography commented
    October 28th, 2012 at 1:18am

Nice pictures!!!
    Laura Photography´s last blog post ..:: Lavandas ::

23. Sofia - As We TravelSofia commented
    October 29th, 2012 at 7:41am

Your photos are so well composed! My favorite food blogs are those that make meals seem unpretentious, that don’t include a long list of specialized food items but that make food that you can easily make an afternoon with the kind of stuff you always have in your fridge anyway.

24. Brittni commented
    October 29th, 2012 at 4:20pm

Gosh. These photos are so beautiful, it’s making me hungry.
    Brittni´s last blog post ..Halloween DIY: Creepy Spider Pie

25. Ursula-the crafting gypsy commented
    March 25th, 2013 at 2:02pm

What a sweet post!!! Love it!
    And can so relate to lapses of memory! :-) And it is odd when people know who you are and you do not know them, isn’t it?
    I only had this happen once – but I remember it so vividly. I was talking to a new-made friend in her yarn store and the door opens, a women enters, looks at me and shouts out “You are Ursula, the woman who makes buttons” and I just stood there completely puzzled and for a bit had NO CLUE what to say. (And that is rather rare for me! *lol*)
    It is odd how we forget that whatever we put out there on the internet is there for EVERYone to read. This experience made it so “real” for me that there are people out there that read what I write … and it felt good and really strange at the same time.

And I love the photos on milas deli – totally agree, they are so “natural”. They seem almost “unstyled” in a very good way. :-)

xox

Ursula
    Ursula-the crafting gypsy´s last blog post ..I give you …