November 8, 2012

Hello everyone! I’ve been offline for several days as I was away in London but I’m back home now and ready to blog! I hope that you are doing well. Between the stress of the weather on the east coast (a hurricane first, now snow in the northeast) and the election, I think my American pals are in need of some inspiration because it’s been a bit draining to say the least. It’s time for a little cheer so lets look at pretty things today!

She Makes a Home

I’m not sure if most of you are aware of this, but in addition to decor8, I run an e-course focused on blogging and creativity called Blogging Your Way and I also teach in-person workshops on everything from paper crafts to blogging, styling and creativity. I’ve made a business out of blogging and like anyone who has a small business, I’m always thinking of ways to improve it and make my clients even happier. It’s not easy, as everyone has a different learning style, but the one thing that I teach time and time again that students really click with is the exercise of translating your ideas into something visual and I do this via inspiration boards, mood boards, story boards or whatever else you feel like calling them. For this post, I’m going with mood board.

Studio Haijke

A mood board is one of the best ways to filter your ideas and give a voice to what feels very muddy or trapped inside of your head. It’s easy, fun, can be done with your hands or on a computer, and oftentimes doesn’t cost a penny. In my most recent Blogging Your Way class, which just wrapped up last Friday, we worked on blog mood boards. A blog mood board is a way for new and even seasoned bloggers to hone in on what they want their blog to be about and what they what it to look like whether it’s for a redesign or for their very first blog. In this post, I’m showing you some from my students that I found inspirational – please visit their blog links below each image to visit them AND you can see all of the student mood boards on the Blogging Your Way Boot Camp Pinterest page.

On The Surface

Lots of times we think we know what we like or want to talk about on our blog but have a hard time focusing or narrowing down our concepts. This is where blog mood boards help. You can take all of your ideas and start moving them around before you on a board, on a table, on the floor, and see how everything works together and then, see if everything really “fits”. Magazines and book publishers work like this and so do designers and many other creatives when it comes to figuring out next steps in their creative process. When I was working on both of my books, I pinned spreads to my wall and even scatted them about on my massive table to see how they “laid” together and to imagine the flow. It’s not that different when you are trying to pull a concept together for a blog.

Project Heart

Design Lotus

Inspired by Annetta Bosakova

Serendipitous Things

Lottie Loves

Confiture de Vivre

Cozy & Cuddly

Aren’t these inspiring views of how one wants their blog to be? Have you ever tried mood boards for design concepts – either for your brand, blog, website or something else? Did it help you? Did it help your designer?

(images: the talented ladies who made these moodboards are credited below each image with a link.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply kalanicut November 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I am so inspired by all our classmates. Beautiful creations everywhere. It has been so fun to look through all the boards on Flikr & Pinterest. Thanks for a great class Holly. I have been emailing with a dear friend I made in the first BYW class I took. A very lovely added gift in addition to all I learned in class. TY

• Reply Tara Galuska November 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

A little pretty is just what the doctor ordered! I’ve found mood boards and research are a lifesaving way to being envisioning a design project in its early stages.

• Reply Caroline @trend-daily November 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Wonderful boards-congratulations everybody!

• Reply Miranda November 8, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I do make moodboards, but i never came up with the idea to make one for my blog. Love the idea and i think these moodboards of your students look great!

• Reply Anna November 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Wow! Don’t they look fab. Think we did ourselves proud, all down to your great training Holly. Thank you so much! x

• Reply Margarida November 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm

These are just gorgeous!!!!

• Reply April Louise November 8, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Great mood boards, definitely feeling cheery after looking at these!

• Reply Maria November 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Hi! I would like to take that class, when do yu start a new one?

• Reply Liz November 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Yay! Thanks so much for adding mine to the post. SO many BEAUTIFUL and INSPIRATIONAL boards! BYW was so much fun!!

• Reply Annette November 8, 2012 at 11:55 pm

how fun, it’s like visual dessert <3

• Reply Kristyne November 9, 2012 at 12:00 am

Hey Holly!

Well yes I did do a mood board in your class (almost 2 years ago!) and my blog banner is a version of that very same board. I asked my readers a while ago if I should change it and I was so surprised at how many said PLEASE NO. It was my banner that caught their attention and it seems I’ve become known for it.

So I can totally attest to the usefulness of your moodboard exercise. Plus it really is like grown-up playtime. Thanks. :)

• Reply Polly November 9, 2012 at 12:39 am

so many good moodboards here! I love the first and third ones, and the one by Confiture de Vivre. But they’re all lovely! Moodboards are a great way of gathering vague ideas and making them clearer by putting them all together. x

• Reply Ege Denne November 9, 2012 at 1:02 am

I like many of them, but I miss moodboards in a bit white and simple style with some black and color. Mainly white.

• Reply EGEDENNE November 9, 2012 at 1:03 am

I forgot to change my name here.. ;)

• Reply Jennifer November 9, 2012 at 1:06 am

Oh my! You’ve posted a treasure trove of pretty and new blogs to explore.

I really should pull together a mood board for my “brand.” I sometimes feel like I can be all over the place in what I create, write, sell. Something to think about.

Thanks for the inspiration Holly!

• Reply Rudelle Jade November 9, 2012 at 1:28 am

They are inspiring! I followed my favourites! You, too have inspired me, I have done mood boards before but not in this way. One thing about them all is that they all use good, bright photography and they look really professional!

• Reply anastasia November 9, 2012 at 1:39 am

These are gorgeous and inspiring – thanks for sharing Holly…some great links and blogs to discover too!

• Reply Kirsty November 9, 2012 at 1:46 am

All those moodboards are beautiful! Lots of inspirational eye candy there :)

• Reply Annetta Bosakova November 9, 2012 at 2:58 am

@Kristyne: I can see why everyone voted no! I would have too! It is SO beautiful and inspiring! Wow!

• Reply erika November 9, 2012 at 4:44 am

i had so much fun working on this mood board. also, it was really great to see what everyone else came up with… lots of really fantastic and talented bloggers out there! thank you SO MUCH for including me in your post, holly!

• Reply Grace November 9, 2012 at 5:24 am

Hi Holly! Thanks for including me here. It’s been so fun to be a part of BYW!

• Reply Marianne November 9, 2012 at 7:29 am

Great moodboards. They make you happy just looking at them. Looking at them I realize that I haven’t visited a lot of my classmates blogs yet. Really have to do that. I enjoyed all the tweets and pics from you book launch. I am looking forward to receive my (US) copy in a couple of days.

• Reply Annie November 9, 2012 at 7:40 am

Wow! These are gorgeous; brings back good memories of the BYW class. Now I’m itching to go back & find my mood board post! These are stunning, really.

• Reply Jaclyn November 9, 2012 at 9:37 am

Best class assignment by far – loved it and these boards are beautiful, can’t wait to check out their blogs now!

• Reply Ginger November 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

What a feast for the eyes – so much pretty and sooo inspiring…Bootcamp has been a real push for me to get the blog up & running properly and so much fun as well. Thank you Holly :-)

• Reply Lena November 9, 2012 at 11:03 am

Holly, you picked some really nice boards. So talented, these ladies – in fact I found the most interesting blogs by classmates through their blog moodboards. I think this was one of the most useful exercises of the class, it has helped me a lot for my own blog. I can only recommend the byw class, it was fun and useful in SO many ways and I made great blogging friends on the way.
    btw – there are still some moodboards in the flickr account waiting to be pinned…

• Reply Ginger November 9, 2012 at 11:10 am

What a feast of loveliness, so much pretty and so much inspiration.

Its been great doing the Bootcamp, its given me the push to get my little blog properly up & running and I’m meeting so many other lovely bloggers.

• Reply Saskia November 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Really inspiring. I should try it for my blog as well, now it’s just loose photo’s.
    Thank you & have a great weekend!

• Reply EGEDENNE November 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I have been thinking about one thing since I read this post. About all this tape beeing used on moodboards and other stuff. I cant help thinking, it is such a waste.

How can people use all these stuff, plastic stuff, and threw it away when it loose its interest? What about caring for the nature?

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha November 9, 2012 at 1:15 pm

What is amazing is how much character comes out in these mood boards. Some beautiful and really inspiring boards.

• Reply ishtar olivera November 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

wow!! these are TRULLY AMAZING!!!!!! very very beautiful and inspiring!! well done everyone!!!

• Reply Claire November 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm

These mood boards are absolutely lovely – I want to have a go too! I’m excited about joining your next ‘blogging your way’ course so that I can learn about these more fully. In the meantime I have lots of new blogs to go and check out…

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I love this plus, it makes me so curious & interested to go check out their blogs. Which….I am going to do, right now! :)

• Reply Jessica Stripe November 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I absolutely love the mood boards you have in place. Great as I am considering redecorating myself! I quite like the retro, vintage furniture and number 18 looks ideal for helping me get my head together; I’m definitely excited and thoughts of lots of antique reproduction furniture to get the look!

• Reply Silky Hart November 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Holly’s blogging class is the bomb! Love seeing all of these mood boards from our class. And, I’m so honored to have mine included. What a true inspiration you are, Holly!

• Reply Aimee Bonnema November 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Really inspiring to see all those moodboards in one of your lovely posts. It helped me a lot making one. I am designing my new blog now and the moodboard helps me very much to stray focussed. Working very hard now to include all the great info you gave us in the course. I hope it will be ready next week so I can still show it to my fellow-students. Thanks so much for the lessons!

• Reply Tina Ramchandani November 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Congrats to all the ladies whose boards are displayed here. This was a fantastic exercise. Thank you Holly!

• Reply Ursula November 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm

How beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing – very inspiring!

• Reply Laura K Aiken November 9, 2012 at 9:08 pm

holy smoke! great post!!

• Reply Pilar November 10, 2012 at 2:36 am

Those moodboards are great!

• Reply itziar November 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I love making collages but i have never used them for this!
    What a great idea! collage composition for design your blog

• Reply Glenda Childers November 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

So much creativity and loveliness. I remember the fun I had creating my mood board when I took your class two years ago.

• Reply charlotte rivers November 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Thanks for featuring my board Holly! Sorry I missed your launch, I hope I get the chance to meet you again some other day.

• Reply Stephanie Anderson November 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Hi Holly, what a fabulous wrap up to our course! I feel so honored to be included in your mood board story. I’m a very new blogger and started my blog only a couple of weeks before BYW boot camp….. So your link to my blog has in 2 days tripled my total ever views!! Amazing! Loved the course, now hooked and feel very inspired to make it special x thanks

• Reply Amy Nicole November 11, 2012 at 7:42 am

Thanks so much for this! I think a good mood board is exactly what I/my blog needs!

• Reply fenny setiawan November 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

Thanks for include my mood board at this post, Holly. Yeah, two times I joined your BYW class, making mood board is the most fave assignment :). And it is sort of your trade mark – for the love of mood board! I believe in visual inspiration and it is really pleasing to our brain too, we instantly can get a creative zest by having those beautiful images lay in our board.

Congrats for the successful book launching at London too. I am waiting mine to be arrived to Malaysia on 15th Dec, just in time for my own Christmas present.

• Reply Haikje November 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm

WHOOWHOOOO! How great to see my moodboard here! Thanks Holly! I really loved taking BYW Bootcamp! I am a little bit sad that class is almost over :-(. The other moodboards also look very inspiring and beautiful!

• Reply Alicia November 11, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Wow! I thought I’d check a couple of these out , but as I scrolled down , I realized I will spend a week checking some of these blogs out based on the mood boards!

• Reply Jessica @shimmerkai November 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

So many pretty things to look at here! Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply irene November 14, 2012 at 4:44 am

Hi, I was looking for interior shop’s design, I would love to see what you find inspiring in this subject, if you please. Your blog is beautiful

• Reply fai November 15, 2012 at 7:00 am

I loooove mood board!

• Reply Ashley Pahl @ She Makes A Home November 29, 2012 at 1:49 am

Making these mood boards was one of my favorite parts of BYW Boot Camp! It was an interesting experience to express my blog through visuals, and I really enjoyed looking at everyone else’s. Thanks for a great course!

– Ashley

• Reply Amy March 14, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Is there a way to make a mood board of still images, where if the viewer clicks on an image, it leads the viewer to text or a link?

• Reply Caged Canary February 7, 2015 at 6:27 am

I live, breathe and think in mood boards. I have a whole heap on my blog. So much fun.