Trend: Contrast Custom Sofas & Chairs

I’m loving the look of custom furniture more and more lately because fresh designs are popping up to give furniture personality. Gone are the days when you’d reupholster your sofa or chair in a single fabric – lately I’m seeing FUN being brought to design and a lot less stuffy frou frou, starting with the Contrast trend. In fact, while visiting Liberty last week, I noticed several bespoke chairs and sofas in contrasting Liberty prints and my heart went boom! boom! boom! Gorgeous! I love the idea of mixing patterns with solids, especially on sofas and chairs because it really emphasizes the details and differences so you see more of the piece then you may have noticed before had it been in a simple solid or single print.

Trend

Also the idea of a solid fabric (velvet for instance) on a sofa with piping that is patterned gets me a bit hot and bothered. Turned on by a sofa – heck yeah! ha ha! Or a sofa with patterns on back cushions and solid seat cushions… Or, or or… Oh my! The possibilities are endless and I think we should all experiment a little the next time we call up the upholstery shop.

Custom pieces add so much charm to a home because they’re so unique and precious even… one of a kind is such a special feeling in a world of mass production that values quantity of quality. I’d frankly rather save up for a dream chair over buying something I’m half-hearted about just to have it today. Are you with me?

Violet & George’s has a lovely selection of custom furniture and I particularly love how they are keen on supporting up and coming fabric designers. They’ve recently worked on this sofa (shown above) with prints by surface pattern designer Ayme Fitzgerald. All sofas are made to order and take a few months to create but it is well worth the wait – and fabrics can be chosen from their extensive fabric library, along with sofa style and size. Check them out!

Do you dream of designed and owning special furniture like this too?

(images: Violet & George)

Posted by decor8 in trends on November 12, 2012

1. Amy commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 3:17pm

That’s such a great idea, it looks wonderful!
    Amy´s last blog post ..Brand New Eva Solo

2. EmmaK commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 6:26pm

What an inspirational idea. Thanks for some great tips. Come over and say hello soon!
    EmmaK´s last blog post ..Kids + bubblewrap = Inspiration

3. Juliane commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 7:16pm

Gorgeous patterns. I love the brown with bits of pink–that color combo is always so cozy. I love the idea of reusing an old, ugly couch while getting to support up and coming artists! Thanks for sharing.

4. EGEDENNE commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 9:14pm

No, I find most sofas boring. Sorry.
    Mostly because they cant be use for sleeping in.

So the sofa for me must get really good matress and possibility for sleep in. If not, I can rather sit on a chair ;)
    EGEDENNE´s last blog post ..4 days challenge. part 3. the only life you have

5. Katja/ Neovia house commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 9:20pm

I have also noticed that ‘fun’ and ‘charming’ is seen more in interiors. I doesn’t always have to be so perfectly matched. Well balanced, of course, but I believe you can kill the spirit of an interior by doing it too symmetrical and “by the books”. The idea of a sofa with mixed patterns sounds and looks interesting :).
    Katja/ Neovia house´s last blog post ..A Recycled Patchwork Chair

6. Lama commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 9:21pm

I love this idea! Currently looking for unique fabric to decorate chesterfield sofa with :)
    Lama´s last blog post ..All That Glitter

7. jackie jade commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 9:39pm

Big fan of this trend! Love the look of that couch. I also like tufted chairs where just the back might have a crazy pattern or color. I like how it looks so much more unique and custom. I haven’t had anything upholstered myself, but hope to get something custom done for myself soon!
    jackie jade´s last blog post ..Credenza Craziness!

8. caroline @trend-daily commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 9:43pm

Yes lovely. I’m really tempted to try this with Bemz for our old Ikea sofa to give it a new lease of life :-)
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Moodboards…

9. cindy commented
    November 12th, 2012 at 11:19pm

Adore this. Makes me heart go boom, boom, boom!!

10. Shalagh commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 12:30am

So in love too with the concept and this sofa is sexy. Boom boom.

11. Sofia - As We Travel commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 7:39am

That looks great, awesome concept.
    Sofia – As We Travel´s last blog post ..Best Events In Boston This December

12. dani caplan commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 12:59pm

clever idea to create your own sofa and soft furnishings, makes a change from everything having to match !
    dani caplan´s last blog post ..Interior designers Muswell Hill

13. Sarah commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 6:22pm

Holly, thank you so much for mentioning our sofa and we’re glad you like it!

14. Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 7:30pm

I love this trend, particularly because it makes it affordable to change up your decor. Tired of today’s look? Buy new cushions and you’re done! Heck, if I had the storage I’d probably have a different set of cushions for each season, just to keep things constantly feeling fresh.
    Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com´s last blog post ..Link Party: How To Tuesdays #2

15. Hege commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 8:01pm

Love the idea and also the room the photos was taken in.
    The sofa looks great!
    Hege´s last blog post ..A bit naughty

16. Gina commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 9:22pm

The concept is amazing. Very inspirational

17. l o v e l y t h i n g s commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 11:46pm

oh my…love this idea!
    l o v e l y t h i n g s´s last blog post ..taking stock for thanksgiving

18. Baldai commented
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:51am

That sofa looks fantastic! Inspirational idea for everyone who wants something new in their rooms.

19. Melissa McCobb Hubbell commented
    November 14th, 2012 at 9:22am

Yes…. I have been loving the pieced and patched pieces I’ve been seeing for years but more and more these days. I love them but they make me want to kick myself! For years we had a hodge podge of second hand or hand me down furniture – most especially beloved was my grandparents comfy old wing chair,and a long wood and rattan armed sofa I got at a church fair. Eventually much to my despair they were trashed and replaced by a “normal” sofa. Regret! Maybe I should patchwork my current sofa to make it less normal.

Love all you do and all the inspiration!

Melissa

20. Yvonne commented
    November 14th, 2012 at 10:54am

This so is beautiful and and such an inspiring idea. I agree custom made pieces add so much charm and individuality to a home.
    Yve & Bee :)

21. 3chictogo commented
    November 14th, 2012 at 12:02pm

It’s a great idea, thanks!
    xo

3chictogo´s last blog post ..Open Closet

22. Alison @Brocantehome commented
    November 14th, 2012 at 12:55pm

Oh my. That’s the kind of sofa that could make a girls heart stop…
    Alison @Brocantehome´s last blog post ..Housekeepers Calendar 2013

23. Dahlia commented
    November 14th, 2012 at 10:39pm

I work for a re upholsterer, as their interior designer. The different patterns are definitely the most popular. It’s so fun to sit down with someone and help them create the sofa or chair, or living room of their dreams. Then when we deliver it to their house… The look is so much more beautiful and stunning than solid color furniture.

24. Amanda Cottingham commented
    November 17th, 2012 at 2:11pm

What a fab idea, love Liberty!
    Amanda Cottingham´s last blog post ..The Team at the Ana Mum Diary

25. Lucianna Samu commented
    November 18th, 2012 at 11:33am

Really fun idea in the right environment. I wold definitely be fun to work the wall colors in conjunction with the sofa