Trend: Contrast Custom Sofas & Chairs

November 12, 2012

I’m loving the look of custom furniture more and more lately because fresh designs are popping up to give furniture personality. Gone are the days when you’d reupholster your sofa or chair in a single fabric – lately I’m seeing FUN being brought to design and a lot less stuffy frou frou, starting with the Contrast trend. In fact, while visiting Liberty last week, I noticed several bespoke chairs and sofas in contrasting Liberty prints and my heart went boom! boom! boom! Gorgeous! I love the idea of mixing patterns with solids, especially on sofas and chairs because it really emphasizes the details and differences so you see more of the piece then you may have noticed before had it been in a simple solid or single print.

Trend: Contrast Custom Sofas & Chairs

Also the idea of a solid fabric (velvet for instance) on a sofa with piping that is patterned gets me a bit hot and bothered. Turned on by a sofa – heck yeah! ha ha! Or a sofa with patterns on back cushions and solid seat cushions… Or, or or… Oh my! The possibilities are endless and I think we should all experiment a little the next time we call up the upholstery shop.

Custom pieces add so much charm to a home because they’re so unique and precious even… one of a kind is such a special feeling in a world of mass production that values quantity of quality. I’d frankly rather save up for a dream chair over buying something I’m half-hearted about just to have it today. Are you with me?

Violet & George’s has a lovely selection of custom furniture and I particularly love how they are keen on supporting up and coming fabric designers. They’ve recently worked on this sofa (shown above) with prints by surface pattern designer Ayme Fitzgerald. All sofas are made to order and take a few months to create but it is well worth the wait – and fabrics can be chosen from their extensive fabric library, along with sofa style and size. Check them out!

Do you dream of designed and owning special furniture like this too?

(images: Violet & George)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Amy November 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm

That’s such a great idea, it looks wonderful!

• Reply EmmaK November 12, 2012 at 6:26 pm

What an inspirational idea. Thanks for some great tips. Come over and say hello soon!

• Reply Juliane November 12, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Gorgeous patterns. I love the brown with bits of pink–that color combo is always so cozy. I love the idea of reusing an old, ugly couch while getting to support up and coming artists! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply EGEDENNE November 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm

No, I find most sofas boring. Sorry.
    Mostly because they cant be use for sleeping in.

So the sofa for me must get really good matress and possibility for sleep in. If not, I can rather sit on a chair ;)

• Reply Katja/ Neovia house November 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I have also noticed that ‘fun’ and ‘charming’ is seen more in interiors. I doesn’t always have to be so perfectly matched. Well balanced, of course, but I believe you can kill the spirit of an interior by doing it too symmetrical and “by the books”. The idea of a sofa with mixed patterns sounds and looks interesting :).

• Reply Lama November 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I love this idea! Currently looking for unique fabric to decorate chesterfield sofa with :)

• Reply jackie jade November 12, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Big fan of this trend! Love the look of that couch. I also like tufted chairs where just the back might have a crazy pattern or color. I like how it looks so much more unique and custom. I haven’t had anything upholstered myself, but hope to get something custom done for myself soon!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily November 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Yes lovely. I’m really tempted to try this with Bemz for our old Ikea sofa to give it a new lease of life :-)

• Reply cindy November 12, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Adore this. Makes me heart go boom, boom, boom!!

• Reply Shalagh November 13, 2012 at 12:30 am

So in love too with the concept and this sofa is sexy. Boom boom.

• Reply Sofia - As We Travel November 13, 2012 at 7:39 am

That looks great, awesome concept.

• Reply dani caplan November 13, 2012 at 12:59 pm

clever idea to create your own sofa and soft furnishings, makes a change from everything having to match !

• Reply Sarah November 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Holly, thank you so much for mentioning our sofa and we’re glad you like it!

• Reply Katie B. of November 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I love this trend, particularly because it makes it affordable to change up your decor. Tired of today’s look? Buy new cushions and you’re done! Heck, if I had the storage I’d probably have a different set of cushions for each season, just to keep things constantly feeling fresh.

• Reply Hege November 13, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Love the idea and also the room the photos was taken in.
    The sofa looks great!

• Reply Gina November 13, 2012 at 9:22 pm

The concept is amazing. Very inspirational

• Reply l o v e l y t h i n g s November 13, 2012 at 11:46 pm

oh my…love this idea!

• Reply Baldai November 14, 2012 at 8:51 am

That sofa looks fantastic! Inspirational idea for everyone who wants something new in their rooms.

• Reply Melissa McCobb Hubbell November 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

Yes…. I have been loving the pieced and patched pieces I’ve been seeing for years but more and more these days. I love them but they make me want to kick myself! For years we had a hodge podge of second hand or hand me down furniture – most especially beloved was my grandparents comfy old wing chair,and a long wood and rattan armed sofa I got at a church fair. Eventually much to my despair they were trashed and replaced by a “normal” sofa. Regret! Maybe I should patchwork my current sofa to make it less normal.

Love all you do and all the inspiration!

• Reply Yvonne November 14, 2012 at 10:54 am

This so is beautiful and and such an inspiring idea. I agree custom made pieces add so much charm and individuality to a home.
    Yve & Bee :)

• Reply 3chictogo November 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm

It’s a great idea, thanks!

• Reply Alison @Brocantehome November 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Oh my. That’s the kind of sofa that could make a girls heart stop…

• Reply Dahlia November 14, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I work for a re upholsterer, as their interior designer. The different patterns are definitely the most popular. It’s so fun to sit down with someone and help them create the sofa or chair, or living room of their dreams. Then when we deliver it to their house… The look is so much more beautiful and stunning than solid color furniture.

• Reply Amanda Cottingham November 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm

What a fab idea, love Liberty!

• Reply Lucianna Samu November 18, 2012 at 11:33 am

Really fun idea in the right environment. I wold definitely be fun to work the wall colors in conjunction with the sofa