Crush: Multi-colored Hardwood Herringbone Floors

I have a total design crush today on a totally rockin’ floor. My friend, Charlotte, was recently in Thailand and since I follow her on Istagram, I was glued to her photo stream the whole time wondering what she would find. As a designer and owner of Rice, a huge Danish lifestyle brand, I never know what will catch her eye next. One photo that she posted made my heart leap and I thought, OH YES, BABY! It was of a floor at the Stella McCartney shop in Bangkok – multi-colored hardwood herringbone floors.Oh my.

Crush: Multi-colored Hardwood Herringbone Floors

The photo she posted got my creative wheels turning. Why not try a temporary version for a party as an accent using washi tape? I immediately started to tape my floor in my home studio where Steffi and I are hosting a blogger workshop next month. I wanted to see if perhaps I could tape the floors in different spots for the weekend simply to give it a creative touch. I like it and plan to keep going with it in various spots, definitely not the entire floor but here and there… I wish I had the really wide washi tape, doing it in thin strips took about 5 per piece of wood and well, it looked a bit cheesy… So I’m thinking to just do thin strips like this and maybe mix in other colors too – like orange and yellow to match our workshop colors. I love that washi tape is so versatile – it doesn’t ruin your floors if you leave it on temporarily. Over time, I don’t know… But for a weekend, I’m thinking this could be super cute.

Washi tape on my floors

But my goodness, aren’t those Stella floors insane!?

By the way, if you are on Instagram, follow me @decor8! Here is my web page for IS too.

(image: stella mccartney & holly becker for decor8

Posted by decor8 in flooring on November 15, 2012

1. Gabrielle Treanor commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 3:40pm

I love your parquet flooring! And the Stella McCartney shop floor is just gorgeous. I nearly bought a flat on the basis of it having a parquet floor and if I had I would definitely have considered giving it the Stella treatment. I’m sure your workshop attendees are going to love the floor, such attention to detail it so thoughtful.

2. ELisheva commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 4:16pm

The floors were designed by Raw Edges Studio from London.
    I’m trying something similar with wall to wall carpeting that I’m cutting up and re-gluing. Wish me luck:)

3. Angela - anManufaktur commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 5:28pm

Holly, I love your writing style. It’s so charming. I had to smile when reading that post and that gives me a good feeling. Thank you!
    Angela – anManufaktur´s last blog post ..Style: Harley Davidson & Ruby – A stylish combination

4. barbara commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 5:48pm

Wow that floor is really beautiful, I wonder how they did it?
    The washi tape version is cute too… good idea!! :)

5. Amanda Leigh commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 6:20pm

I love those floors, and I love the idea of DIY’ing it for yourself! What a fun idea! If you want to see more awesome colored parquet, check out this AMAZING apartment-

I’ve had a design crush on it since I first saw it. Now that I’ve seen your fun DIY, my mind is coming up with all SORTS of ideas!
    Amanda Leigh´s last blog post ..A $10,000 Wedding

6. rita commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 7:43pm

those floors are amazing! oh stella, i just love her so.

i would have never thought of washi tape on floors… such a good idea! i may need to try this this weekend!

7. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 8:18pm

I love herringbone and those floors are gorgeous!!
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..007 Hottie: Bond. James Bond.

8. Pathom commented
    November 15th, 2012 at 11:19pm

I actually like your skinny version a little better. Subtle and more of a surprise underfoot.

9. Tara commented
    November 16th, 2012 at 9:29am

Love it!
    Have fun decorating your floor Holly !!!!

10. Sarah commented
    November 16th, 2012 at 10:18am

Good idea, to be use on special occasion like birthday party .is it works on Laminate flooring ?
    Sarah´s last blog post ..קאפקייקס או גלידות ? Cupcakes ou cornet de glace

11. lucianna samu commented
    November 16th, 2012 at 11:14am

Great idea using the tape as a temporary color fix. How long can you leave it before it is hard to remove?
    lucianna samu´s last blog post ..Honesty IS the best policy

12. kellie | great designs commented
    November 16th, 2012 at 12:07pm

What a lovely floor decoration! The color combination is very catchy and in a very fashionable way. :)

13. Nicky Mudie commented
    November 16th, 2012 at 1:04pm

The Stella McCartney Multi-coloured hardwood herringbone floors were stained, supplied and laid by Pembridge Flooring. They also laid the multi-wood floor in our new showroom

14. Amy - Pride of Place commented
    November 16th, 2012 at 5:04pm

I was a little late to the washi tape party but now I absolutely love it. I have a little stash, waiting for the perfect project – this is one great idea – I may do something similar on our walls. We are in a rented place and the walls are really bland.
    Amy – Pride of Place´s last blog post ..My Scrapbook: Copper and Mint

15. Donna commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 12:09pm

What a genius idea, that makes basic hardwood flooring a lot more exciting!