Objects

Crush: Multi-colored Hardwood Herringbone Floors

November 15, 2012

I have a total design crush today on a totally rockin’ floor. My friend, Charlotte, was recently in Thailand and since I follow her on Istagram, I was glued to her photo stream the whole time wondering what she would find. As a designer and owner of Rice, a huge Danish lifestyle brand, I never know what will catch her eye next. One photo that she posted made my heart leap and I thought, OH YES, BABY! It was of a floor at the Stella McCartney shop in Bangkok – multi-colored hardwood herringbone floors.Oh my.

Crush: Multi colored Hardwood Herringbone Floors

The photo she posted got my creative wheels turning. Why not try a temporary version for a party as an accent using washi tape? I immediately started to tape my floor in my home studio where Steffi and I are hosting a blogger workshop next month. I wanted to see if perhaps I could tape the floors in different spots for the weekend simply to give it a creative touch. I like it and plan to keep going with it in various spots, definitely not the entire floor but here and there… I wish I had the really wide washi tape, doing it in thin strips took about 5 per piece of wood and well, it looked a bit cheesy… So I’m thinking to just do thin strips like this and maybe mix in other colors too – like orange and yellow to match our workshop colors. I love that washi tape is so versatile – it doesn’t ruin your floors if you leave it on temporarily. Over time, I don’t know… But for a weekend, I’m thinking this could be super cute.

Crush: Multi colored Hardwood Herringbone Floors

But my goodness, aren’t those Stella floors insane!?

By the way, if you are on Instagram, follow me @decor8! Here is my web page for IS too.

(image: stella mccartney & holly becker for decor8

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

• Reply Gabrielle Treanor November 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I love your parquet flooring! And the Stella McCartney shop floor is just gorgeous. I nearly bought a flat on the basis of it having a parquet floor and if I had I would definitely have considered giving it the Stella treatment. I’m sure your workshop attendees are going to love the floor, such attention to detail it so thoughtful.

• Reply ELisheva November 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm

The floors were designed by Raw Edges Studio from London.
    I’m trying something similar with wall to wall carpeting that I’m cutting up and re-gluing. Wish me luck:)

• Reply Angela - anManufaktur November 15, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Holly, I love your writing style. It’s so charming. I had to smile when reading that post and that gives me a good feeling. Thank you!

• Reply barbara November 15, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Wow that floor is really beautiful, I wonder how they did it?
    The washi tape version is cute too… good idea!! :)

• Reply Amanda Leigh November 15, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I love those floors, and I love the idea of DIY’ing it for yourself! What a fun idea! If you want to see more awesome colored parquet, check out this AMAZING apartment-

I’ve had a design crush on it since I first saw it. Now that I’ve seen your fun DIY, my mind is coming up with all SORTS of ideas!

• Reply rita November 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm

those floors are amazing! oh stella, i just love her so.

i would have never thought of washi tape on floors… such a good idea! i may need to try this this weekend!

• Reply Ashley {GirlyObsessions} November 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I love herringbone and those floors are gorgeous!!

• Reply Pathom November 15, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I actually like your skinny version a little better. Subtle and more of a surprise underfoot.

• Reply Tara November 16, 2012 at 9:29 am

Love it!
    Have fun decorating your floor Holly !!!!

• Reply Sarah November 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

Good idea, to be use on special occasion like birthday party .is it works on Laminate flooring ?

• Reply lucianna samu November 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

Great idea using the tape as a temporary color fix. How long can you leave it before it is hard to remove?

• Reply kellie | great designs November 16, 2012 at 12:07 pm

What a lovely floor decoration! The color combination is very catchy and in a very fashionable way. :)

• Reply Nicky Mudie November 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

The Stella McCartney Multi-coloured hardwood herringbone floors were stained, supplied and laid by Pembridge Flooring. They also laid the multi-wood floor in our new showroom

• Reply Amy - Pride of Place November 16, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I was a little late to the washi tape party but now I absolutely love it. I have a little stash, waiting for the perfect project – this is one great idea – I may do something similar on our walls. We are in a rented place and the walls are really bland.

• Reply Donna November 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

What a genius idea, that makes basic hardwood flooring a lot more exciting!