Holly Shops: Columbia Road in London (+ some blogging advice)

Hello everyone! I’m kicking off a new column today, Holly Shops, that will begin now and run into the new year. It will be all about places that I shop at when I travel, featuring my own photos of stores, fairs and markets along with other travel-related highlights that simply inspire me. I am frequently on the road more and more, though I remember a time when I would have loved to travel this often and envied those who did! That’s why I want to do a bit more travel writing on decor8 so that you can come with me, even if only virtually.

Columbia Road Flower Market

It’s funny though… Once you start traveling for mostly business you forget the pleasure and sometimes you miss having fun along the way. Holly Shops will help me to mix business with pleasure much more because it will encourage me to create content for this blog as I go. I’ll post Holly Shops at least once a month, sometimes more, depending on my schedule.

Columbia Road Flower Market

So let us get started! On Sunday, I was in London so I woke up early for breakfast with my friends Charlotte and Steffi and then I ventured off on my own heading straight for Columbia Road Flower Market. I’d never been so I must first confess that I wasn’t “feeling it”, you know those days where you just want to stay in bed and pull the blankets over your head? I thought that being at a flower market would be nice, but since I was due to fly home the next morning I couldn’t really buy any flowers and it was quite chilly… Excuses for sleeping in kept dancing in my mind but I dragged myself to breakfast anyway because I kept thinking that I need to be a good role model to my students. What I mean is that I preach constantly in my workshops and e-classes that they have to use their blog as a catalyst to live their best life.

Columbia Road Flower Market

This means that a blog should inspire YOU first and help you to live a happier life – to create a more interesting life because of having a blog and a blog can be big time motivation to push yourself. This often means challenges and to do what doesn’t always come so naturally, or what you don’t want to do BUT since you have a blog to write on then you need to be doing cool stuff or else you’re readers will fall asleep and the most dangerous part is: so will you. If you aren’t having some fun in your life then it’s time to use your blog as a push, a motivator, to go out there and find something interesting to do so that you can feel encouraged to share it and inspire action in others.

Columbia Road Flower Market

Think about your own blog for a moment. If you have readers who interact with you via the comments section, don’t you feel a sense of responsibility to them? If you say you will go to this or that event and that you promise to share it, then you don’t – they feel let down but most importantly (and my point) is that you let yourself down. You can push your way out of bed, push through fear and even push past self doubt the more you DO things that build your confidence level. So many of us have built up our skills very publicly – I know lots of bloggers who were amateur photographers or budding food stylists when they started their blogs but the more they worked on blogging and bettering their skills the more their blogs blossomed. This is what I mean when I say to use a blog as a catalyst.

Columbia Road Flower Market

(These ladies, The Sugar Sisters, were so good! Listen to them here.)

When I am feeling down or lazy or not motivated, I reason how I should be using my blog to better myself and how can I do that NOW? Should I go to a flower market that I don’t really feel like going to because it will give me an interesting experience and blog post? Okay, sure – why not do it because usually, 10 minutes into the adventure, I’m SO HAPPY that I pushed myself to do it. Having a blog gives me a healthy dose of obligation I guess you can say – it makes me accountable and if there is one thing lacking in modern society it’s accountability. We really need it to grow and become better people – when we are accountable to others for some things, we push ourselves more than if no one would ever watch or notice.

Columbia Road Flower Market

It’s the difference between singing in your underwear in the bedroom with your hair brush as a mic and singing at a local karaoke bar – when we’re before others, we try a little harder and this often helps us to build up our skills. There are a lot of professional singers who got started in small bars and clubs. We all start somewhere and often it’s accountability that motivates us. I’m sure those big names out there wouldn’t be as efficient if they weren’t as accountable, right?

Columbia Road Flower Market

So that is the approach that I took on Sunday morning, that I would go to the market alone and turn my adventure into a blog post. This blog post! Now let us talk about Columbia Road Flower Market, shall we?

Columbia Road Flower Market

What I didn’t know about this market is that it’s not just about flowers! I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the road is lined with independent shops, tiny bakeries and cafes on either side and a few street performers thrown in for that lovely London charm. There are a few little passages here and there to, where I found a lovely bakery called Lily Vanilli and they happen to have a stunning bake book called Sweet Tooth just out, too! Girl, you know it’s true! I noticed that Columbia Road LOVES paint – it seems that every door and facade had a delicious paint color beckoning passerby’s to take a peek. I was so excited to see all of this COLOR since I was staying in a mostly gray and white part of town behind Victoria Station in Eccleston Square at the Eccleston Square Hotel which was all black, gray and white inside and out. Leaving the monochromatic decor for colorful Columbia Road was quite a happy start to my day!

Columbia Road Flower Market

When the flower market isn’t in full swing on Sunday mornings, you can shop the lovely stores any day of the week so during my visit to Columbia Road I did a little bit of everything. I loved the coffee at Lily Vanilli and the big brownie that I shouldn’t have had but hey, I hung out with some nice Londoners at a big farmhouse table near the window so it was worth it. Aside from that, I didn’t have lunch or anything because I really wanted to play photographer and take some nice photos before it became too crowded. I also wanted to spend time perusing the shops and I wanted to pick up some presents.

Columbia Road Flower Market

On Columbia Road, you will find a bunch of beautiful stores – a full shop list can be found here. I popped into Elphick’s, fell in love with Jesse Chorley and Buddug, loved the art and signage at Nelly Duff, spotted cute candies in Suck and Chew, visited Ryantown, found nice tiles and other things in SuperNice, and drooled over the ceramics in Nom. Vintage Heaven was loaded with granny chic. Oh, and I loved some of the vintage jackets with sewn on patches and fabric from Queenie and Ted.

Columbia Road Flower Market

I am so glad that I visited this gorgeous market, aren’t you?!?

If you’re in London between now and the 19th of December, shop the Columbia Road Christmas Market that is now open on Wednesdays from 5pm to 9pm. More information can be found here.

Have you shopped Columbia Road before? Oh and what do you think about my thoughts on blogging above???

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in travel on November 29, 2012

1. Katie commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 5:29pm

Oh I LOVE Columbia Road. I used to live really close by and would go as often as I could. Now I live miles away, but have to make a special effort to get over there every now and again because it’s such a great atmosphere.

I love the post, too! I definitely have those moments where I think “I’m not sure I can be bothered with x y or z” but almost always, as SOON as I make myself do it I have a great time.

Glad you enjoyed your weekend in London – come back soon!
    Katie´s last blog post ..EAT: Homemade fish fingers

2. Jenni commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 5:47pm

Your pictures and commentary certainly do Columbia Road proud. It is one of my most favourite days out. I love the food and the flowers, the explosions of colour and the general fun and laid back vibe. Im so glad you enjoyed it, my personal favourite thing to do is eat salt beef bagels, yummy!

3. HomeSav commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 5:52pm

This post is absolutely charming! Thank you for sharing!

4. Manon commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 6:00pm

MERCI MERCI ..je pars à Londres la semaine prochaine.

Amicalement,

Manon
    Manon´s last blog post ..Noir et Or

5. Kamilla Vinther commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 6:16pm

This post was perfect as I am just about to plan a trip to London on sunday!.. Thank you very much!..

6. Sandra commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 6:38pm

I can’t agree MORE about using your blog as accountability to life a more interesting life. I use mine to do that as well as to document my photography learning. It’s resulted in freelance writing work as well as I hone my writing skills.

Yay for improving our creative process!
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Face to face

7. Ruth commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 6:46pm

I was also there on Sunday, my very first visit, and I loved it. Shame I live so far away.

8. Emelie commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 7:20pm

Lovely pis from one of my favourite streets in London. I think it’s gonna be exciting to “follow” you on your travles and I know exactly what you mean about business-travle-fun!

I just have to ask, which font are you using on these pics? I’ve been looking for it for ages, but I don’t know the name.

9. Sara@LuxeVida commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 7:27pm

What a lovely post! Will certainly have to visit London soon, these pictures are so beautiful, I just can’t wait to see it for myself!

10. Laura commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 7:37pm

Hi Holly

I live in London and reguarly shop there as I have a tiny london garden – its a favourite of mine for flowers, ribbons, buttons and crafts.
    I similarly did a photo blog post on it… it’s called follow your heart as above a shop window a fox sat sewing in the sunlight next too a sign that aptly said Follow Your Heart.

11. Winter commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 7:54pm

Very enjoyable post, lovely place to visit, and you make a blog sound like a good friend- I almost wish I had one!

12. Explore*Handmade commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 8:04pm

I really liked this post, and I am looking forward to more of them in the new year. Also, as a new blogger, I can ‘t tell you how much your words above about the blog inspiring you to live a happier spoke to me. I am truly beginning to feel this way. Whereas originally I was so proud of my blog, I now find that I am more proud of the life it is helping me lead and the focus is shifting. Thanks for your inspiring words!
    Explore*Handmade´s last blog post ..Make Your Holiday Just a Bit More Sweeter
    The holiday-shaped…

13. Kristin Johnsen commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 8:23pm

Holly – thank you so much for the blog and the inspiration – and particularly the Sugar sisters! So fun to hear Santa Baby with that bit of British accent – fun! and the inspiration is so good as I look at my blog and what I want to do and where I want to go with it – I still look at things differently thanks to you, but have gotten away from sharing it with others. So here’s to doing that more in my own universe!!! Congrats on everything coming your way!!! Kristin
    Kristin Johnsen´s last blog post ..Back to the beginning – or moving on from another place?

14. Erin commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 8:31pm

I LOVE Columbia Road!! I lived in London for several years and would regularly go to the market there. I miss it!

15. caroline @trend-daily commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 8:48pm

Just the perfect place for a Sunday morning and it really was a beautiful day-lovely new series Holly. Even for those of us living near London,it’s a great reminder to get into town more often. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend :-) caroline
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Styling Details…

16. Sam commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 9:00pm

Oh, Holly, I loved your post. Firstly for your heartfelt sharing (it’s soo hard to get motivated sometimes…having something like a blog (BYW Bootcamp) to provide a ‘push’ definitely helps!) and then for being able to experience your shopping trip with you. I love your photos and your captions!
    Sam´s last blog post ..Featured Supplier : Anella Wedding Shoes

17. Julia commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 9:03pm

thank you for showing us all those great places :) love this column! greets julia
    Julia´s last blog post ..Post aus meiner Küche #4 – Mareikes Päckchen

18. meplusmolly commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 9:17pm

Columbia Road is still on my ‘to visit’ list, it looks as I imagined it to be, truly inspiring! and such colour – love! I will have to make a date with my sister to go. Your thoughts about pushing through the cobweb fog of not ‘feeling it’ is something that is so true, creativity breeds creativity so pushing through the downward feelings is so important to your own well-being as well as for inspiration and material for your blog and posts. Lovely post :)
    meplusmolly´s last blog post ..BYW Bootcamp coming to a close

19. Igor commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 9:30pm

Love these pics, Holly! I spent a whole day on Columbia Road Market too and went to the same shops literally:-) Such a good memory…
    Igor´s last blog post ..All About Nesting: My Guest Picks

20. Igor commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 9:35pm

Oh and I absolutely agree with your stance on blogging. My blog is my catalyst or motor of my daily life. It reminds me to think of the bright and happy side of life even on dull, grey or difficult days when I just ‘don’t feel it’ (it being literally anything). But the happiness I put into my blog is the happiness I harvest from it and from its readers. A happy circle! Just like my life:-)
    Igor´s last blog post ..All About Nesting: My Guest Picks

21. Kim commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 9:44pm

Columbia Road Market is one of my favourite places to go in London. I feel quite lucky that I live quite close by! I love the whole look and vibe of the place, always a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
    Kim´s last blog post ..Feasting With Bompas & Parr Book Launch

22. Mnêmosunê commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 9:54pm

1) I want to go to London in order to visit this market. It’s been a long time (15 years maybe ?) since I came to London and I’m missing it !
    2) I agree with your thoughts about how blogging can help us improve our life. This reminder is useful ! Thanks :)
    Mnêmosunê´s last blog post ..Velouté de patates douces

23. Jenny commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:11pm

Hi Holly, I wonder when you’ll post the podcast – for the BYW bootcamp students about Building Community? Our logins are supposed to be deactivated tomorrow so I am a bit worried. Will we get your take on this topic yet, or not?

Cheers, Jenny

24. Margarida commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:16pm

I can’t believe you stayed in a hotel just next door (literally!) to where I live :-) If I had know maybe I wouldn’t have rushed on Friday afternoon just to say hello at Selfridges and then ran away (I’m sorry, Holly, although I would have loved to stay longer I just couldn’t…)

I loved your bit of “blog advice”. You know that this is exactly what I do? Sometimes it’s pouring with rain or freezing cold but if I told my readers that I would post about some event that happens that day, I get out of bed, take my camera with me and there I go.
    For example, yesterday one of my readers asked me to show the pages of my sketchbook and I said I would do it today. When I managed to take some photos the light outside was already going, but I took the photos and then I posted them for everybody/her to see. And he has already left a comment saying thanks. Isn’t that great?

Regarding Columbia Market, I’ve been there three times since January and I love it. I love the colouring, the people, the shops behind the market where you can hardly get. It reminds me I should go there before I go home for Christmas :-)
    Margarida´s last blog post ..My collection of sketchbooks

25. merilyn commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:19pm

definately love this new feature in your blog Holly!
    makes one feel like they are on holidays …bit of a pun!
    enjoying your pics especially the aqua and turquoise hues
    as a contrast to the old buildings… magic colours!
    thankyou for sharing. cheers! Merilyn

26. Jade Spadina commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:38pm

I absolutely adore your photos. I want to go to Columbia Road! It looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. x
    Jade Spadina´s last blog post ..Tisno & The Island of Murter, Croatia

27. Marjory commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 11:32pm

What a feast! Thank for sharing such loveliness! Oh, love those doors!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Crystals of kaleidoscopic light

28. Angela commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 11:39pm

Your pictures are marvelous! I would love to visit Columbia Rd. sometime! I do agree with you about blogging inspiring you to do more, if it was not for my blog I wouldn’t accomplish half the creative projects that I do.
    Angela´s last blog post ..Flowers

29. Lama commented
    November 29th, 2012 at 11:56pm

Wow, this couldn’t have been posted at a better time! Today I’ve felt EXACTLY that, lazy and unmotivated, full of self doubt! But then I realise why I’m doing my blog, and it IS to grow my skills and to make me try new things…I stop feeling sorry for myself and instead think of new and interesting things to write about or places to visit! The market is great I love it there, and these pictures are really stunning!

Lama´s last blog post ..NYE

30. rita commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 12:03am

thank you. lately i’ve been wondering if my blog was worth it… if i’m adding value at all. but i love your perspective and it really re-invigorated me. i started to push myself, but i’ve gotten lazy and started to follow – and i’m not looking to lead someone else’s life. thank you!

also, this post was beautiful!
    rita´s last blog post ..tis the season : small business favorites

31. Maria commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 12:09am

Next time I´m in London I will definitely go there! What an inspiring blog post and how you inspired me! I often feel a bit stressed and lazy and don´t know what to write about. It´s hard to pick up the camera, especially in this time of year when it all dark. Oh how i whine!! Thank you for giving me a push and a good reason to keep on bloging.

/M
    Maria´s last blog post ..Inredningsfoto

32. Prahlad commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 12:52am

Hey,
    I generally lurk your sight and never say anything, but I really loved your thoughts on blogging.
    Thank you for sharing them, and your travels with everyone. Best thing about blogging, is that other bloggers help us to reach our potential too.
    Cheers,
    P
    Prahlad´s last blog post ..Pinsteration and Frustration

33. Sarah commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 3:22am

Great post Holly – I have not been to Columbia Road, I wish I had gone when I was at Victoria Station in May with not much to do waiting for my friend who was at her book club meeting. You are right, the blog does make it possible for us to get off our ‘duffs’ and do something!! Its a great idea and one that I will have to seriously think about since I live in Maine now and there is much to explore here and I live at the beach. Got your book , its lovely and as Leslie said in her post today – your style is so unpretentious and I think that is one of the things I like and others like about you – we can only take so much of the slick magazines with decor that costs thousands and thousands of dollars. In this economy, this is totally unrealistic and ridiculous except for the super rich. Have a great weekend!! ;-))
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Gotta have these…Cath Kidston edition…

34. Tina Ramchandani commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 3:35am

Love the idea of this new column Holly! You know we all want to know where you’re shopping. This is also a good reminder to step away from the computer, and as you said, use your blog to motivate and inspire you. These pictures are very nice by the way. Did you take them all using your iPhone?
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Design Spotlights: UtzonKids

35. Shalagh commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 4:42am

Envious of your adventurous jaunt. Yes. But you gifted it with the world and a grateful me. Your idea of using the blog for inspiration to live a better life was well represented in your lessons in Bootcamp. It seems a truthful touchstone for you. I will take it away with me and look at it every so often to inspire me.
    Thanks again Holly.
    Love,
    Shalagh

36. Shalagh commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 4:44am

OOps, my url has too many https in it.
    Shalagh´s last blog post ..Dear Holly – A Letter of Gratitude to My Teacher

37. carla commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 5:10am

Hi, thank you for letting me know. I will go there for sure next time I am in Londen. I love that multi cultirule city.

Have a nice day, where ever you are.

Carla.

38. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:54am

Holly! I love this post. I feel like I can see you taking a deep breath and smiling!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Awake | The Run Away Week

39. Rona commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:06am

What a wonderful blog post Holly & gorgeous photos!

I love Columbia Road…there’s such a lovely hustle & bustle there.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time there too. And pleased that the good old British weather was behaving for you!

I’ve definitely taken on board your fab advice ‘use your blog as a catalyst to live your best life’…

Hope you have a great weekend.

Rona x
    Rona´s last blog post ..Interview with florist Gemma Bain of Planet Flowers

40. Momographica commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:27am

When I was in London,I discovered this place thanks to my flatmate. I used to live in Hanbury Street and Columbia Road was just a short walking distance so it was one of my favourite places where to spend a sunny, wintry morning and buy flowers for my bedroom. This post brings such beautiful memories ,you had nearly me to tears.

I had a terrific afternoon tea in Columbia Road , this was the place:
    I do highly recommend this experience if you can, Holly (and readers).

About your considerations on blogging, I guess you make a point there. I never thought of that before but it is considerably important for a blogger. I’ll try to make it into practice, teacher :)
    Momographica´s last blog post ..Living through Recession and other ugly things of life

41. Alison Gibb commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:13am

Love this post – great advice! Must visit Columbia Rd! To me this post seemed very long?? But loved every bit of it! x
    Alison Gibb´s last blog post ..Fletcher’s Cottage Spa

42. Juliane commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:31am

Wow, thanks for this blog post, Holly! I lived in London for two years and I just loved my time there – because of places like these in your prictures. Can’t wait to see more of your travel shop pics!

43. Michelle commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:37am

Great to see your take on the lovely Columbia Road. What you say about blogging makes so much sense to me – really interesting to read it :-)

44. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:45am

@tina: hi!!! No, I used my Canon DSLR. I rarely bring it out these days, I always use my iPhone, but to get really nice photos I decided to use it and it really made a difference.

45. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:49am

@jenny, I forgot all about it. I will do a podcast then and post over the weekend and keep students access live until dec 10.

46. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:53am

@Alison – I try to mix it up on decor8, some posts are long, others shorter and still others only a paragraph or less. I find so many different types of readers visit decor8 that having a variety inspires people.

47. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:54am

@momographica – oh I noticed that tea room in the back but didn’t go as it was too crowded but perhaps next time, thank you for the suggestion!

48. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:55am

@rona – you definitely are – your blog just gets more and more delightful!!!

49. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:56am

@shalagh – yes it’s definitely my mantra – I believe in it so much!

50. decor8 commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 11:00am

@sarah – thank you Sarah! I just looked at your blog, Monaco interiors, it’s so pretty! I noticed you were a BYW student too – I remember you now! I have a suggestion though – have you considered making your photos larger because that would make your blog totally amazing! Maybe look at your HTML code and see how wide your post columns are (width) and then use as much of that width as you can for photos. For inside, my columns are around 550 so I make my photos slightly smaller around 530 wide. Having that consistently of width, as I teach in BYW, really makes a difference when your readers scroll down, and bigger photos definitely encourage more readers to visit and pin/share your content. I hope this helps, I’m always looking out for my students! :)

51. Findthedetails commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 11:29am

Hi Holly, A great piece – you really bring Columbia Road to life. London is such a series of villages, and even those who live there/here never experience every village! Columbia Road is a fabulous place, and not just for young shoppers – we took my (garden loving, young at heart) mother in law there one Sunday as a birthday treat a few years ago and she was blown away by the flower market and the vibrant atmosphere. xxxx
    Findthedetails´s last blog post ..Farrow & Ball Christmas table runner

52. uschi commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 2:21pm

a wonderful post !

just too bad … i’ve returned from london last night. i did not know about this road and market. your post came too late for my recent stay. so i will have to wait another year or so to see it :-(
    thanks anyway – great story and lovely images :-)

53. stephanie @ Baba Souk commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 2:59pm

Holly! Such an inspiring column. Thanks for making me travel at home :) I used to travel a lot for the company I was working for as a designer. Since I took the jump and decided to be my own boss I was not able to travel that much…I’m still happy with the move but there is a place in my heart that wishes to take a piece of luggage and run out!

54. Toni @ Skandivis commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:27pm

This is such a great post Holly! I haven’t been to Columbia Road for a while but now feel inspired to run back! X
    Toni @ Skandivis´s last blog post ..I’ve fallen for an advent calendar ♥

55. Sarah commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:47pm

Wonderful thoughts Holly! And great photos!

56. Emily commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 7:19pm

What a great new column. I loved exploring London with you! Lovely pictures– it looks like you had a great time there. Thanks for sharing :)
    Emily´s last blog post ..True American Heroes

57. maura commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 8:42pm

Great inspiration! Love all the colors. Must get to London soon …its been 12 years.

58. Casey commented
    November 30th, 2012 at 9:04pm

Hi Holly,
    I’ve been meaning to visit a dear friend from college in London for YEARS now and I think I’ve finally decided to just do it and GO! Your photos are wonderful motivation, too, reminding me of all the great shopping opportunities and cute shops over there. So, thanks!
    Also, I totally agree with you about trying to find the motivation to do new things. I’m so good at talking myself out of things I “just don’t feel like” doing, but I find if I kick myself a little bit and go for it I’m always happier. And being able to share my experiences on my blog is great motivation as well.
    Casey´s last blog post ..Vintage-style glittered ornaments

59. kellie - firm of consulting engineer commented
    December 1st, 2012 at 2:08am

I love London even though I haven’t been there personally. Just looking at the photos make me feel like I’ve experienced those things too! Love the birdy love light! :)

60. Juliette commented
    December 1st, 2012 at 11:57am

Love the post, looking forward to the series! Nice to see ‘YOU’ in this post, too, so keep it up! =)

I also like the words you shared about blogging. I’m planning on doing a CSS class/blog makeover after the holidays to revamp the looks of mine and hopefully simultaneously revitalize my zeal for blogging. Blogging has been such a good thing for me and I need to do a little more nurturing in that dept.
    Juliette´s last blog post ..DIY Scrappy Pin Love

61. Inge commented
    December 1st, 2012 at 12:26pm

Hello Holly,

I started reading this post because I will be going to London for the first time from 17th to 19th of December and thought you might have some nice tips. You absolutely did, but you also gave such great blogging advice! Using my blog as a catalyst for all the things I want to do, by really committing to my blog is a great idea! Since I don’t have many readers at the moment, the commitment can sometimes be a hard thing to do, but at the end of the day, I’m doing it for myself, so the commitment is to myself as well.

Thank you!
    Inge´s last blog post ..Bye bye autumn

62. decor8 commented
    December 1st, 2012 at 1:03pm

@Juliette: I don’t have a photo of me in this post! Maybe you are thinking of another post?

63. decor8 commented
    December 1st, 2012 at 1:03pm

@Inge: that’s great, so nice to hear your thoughts on this!

64. Juliette commented
    December 1st, 2012 at 7:08pm

@decor8: oh no, I meant it was seeing your personality *really* shine through on this post. =) I should’ve been clearer! It felt extra fun, like your words and pictures together were just what they were: you walking and talking and having a great experience -and we got to go with you! I really liked it!
    Juliette´s last blog post ..DIY Scrappy Pin Love

65. Silky Hart commented
    December 3rd, 2012 at 4:25pm

Felt like I was with you on Columbia Road! Love all of your finds and fun photos. And what a grand example of how we can turn things around in our lives!
    Silky Hart´s last blog post ..Farm to Table with Patina Green

66. Tim Tyler commented
    December 3rd, 2012 at 5:34pm

Hi Holly,
    Lovely post and fantastic images. Thank you for mentioning us at Nom! Having been working in our shop for the last 10 years worth of Sundays, means that it’s easy for me to forget how beautiful and interesting the market is… Your blog might just make me step out of the shop for a coffee and treat this Sunday.
    Great blogging advice too.
    Thanks again.

67. Ana commented
    December 4th, 2012 at 12:36am

This post was really inspirational, Holly! Thanks so much! It came right away when I was a little bit struggling if I should move on with my blog or not.
    First to say, we moved 6 months ago from Hamburg to San Francisco and at the moment I’m looking for a new job. So in the meantime my blog is my job. :) And I really love it and enjoy it. It’s like my own small magazine and I’m Editor in Chief. :) But as I don’t have so many readers, sometimes it can be hard to push yourself to new posts. Fortunately this are very rare moments because actually I’m doing it for myself, I love to think about new projects and try to make most of the content by myself – and there are no paper cost. :) so no reason for quitting it. I also get really motivated after taking your BYW class. It was such a good experience and I learned so much.
    So double thanks! :)

Oh, and I have never been to London, but Columbia Road will be on my to-see-list.

Cheers and have a nice week!
    Ana
    Ana´s last blog post ..Holly Jolly Christmas :: Geschenkeanhänger

68. Sonja commented
    December 4th, 2012 at 11:15pm

I used to live in London for several years but have never actually visited Columbia Road Market (probably because the idea of ‘just’ visiting a flower market wasn’t that appealing. As we fly over reguarly, it will now definitely be on my to-do-list for next time. Thx for the lovely shop column!
    Also thanks for the inspiring words about blogging and how it can enrich your life. As we’re just about to move to Berlin which you obviously know very well, I am now thinking about starting a blog about all the beautiful things which are there to explore in Berlin. Thanks again!
    Sonja

69. Kay commented
    December 5th, 2012 at 3:43pm

Passersby is the plural of passerby. That I’m a total geek for that word is the only reason I shared. No judging.! Your blog rules + is very inspirational. I need to get out more + I’m starting a blog soon! It’s as if you were speaking directly to me!
    Thanks!
    K A Y

70. Dawn Mead commented
    December 5th, 2012 at 9:28pm

Thank you for this post.
    I was feeling a little deflated with how my blog has loss direction. You have strengthened my spirit and given me some food for thought.
    Dawn x
    Dawn Mead´s last blog post ..At home with red

71. pretty arty commented
    December 6th, 2012 at 9:26am

ok now I just want to go back there !!!

72. Sharaine brown commented
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:47am

i would like to say i really enjoyed this blog post. I found it very informative. Finding out about tips for blogs is pushing me to start my own blog. Using your own blog as a catalyst, is a very good idea. I feel i always need a push to be motivated. So doing this will definitely motivate me because it will be something i really enjoy.
    So thank you very much!
    Sharaine x

73. Sharaine brown commented
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:53am

Love this post I am really excited to start my own blog now. Finding out about tips for blogs . Using your own blog as a catalyst, is a very good idea. I feel i always need a push to be motivated. So doing this will definitely motivate me because it will be something i really enjoy.
    So thank you very much!
    Sharaine x

74. Sharaine brown commented
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:56am

sorry for commenting twice, i’m a bit too eager!

75. Claire Henry commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 2:55pm

I’m a bit late to this post but it’s great to read it! I’ve just started the blog for my designer made homeware shop on Columbia Road – Live with Me. It’s very useful to hear your pointers and to get a visitor’s perspective of the market. I hope you’ll come and visit when you’re next in the area. Christmas is lovely but there’s a whole different atmosphere in the summer.
    Claire Henry´s last blog post ..Columbia Road – A brief history

76. Rebecca commented
    July 7th, 2013 at 9:54pm

Hi Holly, I live on Columbia Road and remember being delighted to see your post and how much you enjoyed your visit. Columbia Road is a wonderful place to live and has an amazing community of people who work hard to make it so special. Sadly one of the much loved cafes is being forced to close, local residents have stared a petition to try and save it. Please would you consider helping us spread the word!

Campania is being forced to close – please help and sign the petition!