Arts + Crafts

Book Love & DIY Project: Mes petites Kokeshi

December 14, 2012

Have you laid eyes upon the book, Mes petites Kokeshi by talented Parisian shop owner Adeline Klam? I first saw it at the Frankfurter Buch Messe in 2011 and fell in total love, I had to buy a copy despite how little French I know (though now it’s been translated into German, available here). In this book, photos truly do speak a thousand words whether you speak French or German (or not). Adeline’s projects are so cute and are all themed around the Japanese Kokeshi wooden dolls. Here is a glimpse from the book taken by my friend Emilie Guelpa from Griottes who worked on the project with her as the photographer.

Book Love & DIY Project: Mes petites Kokeshi

Book Love & DIY Project: Mes petites Kokeshi

Book Love & DIY Project: Mes petites Kokeshi

Recently, Emilie felt very inspired from working on this book for Adeline and decided to make her own version of kokeshi dolls at home. She wrote about how she did it on her blog (click here) but here are the items she transformed into little people laid out below. This is such a beautiful and inspiring craft project to work on, especially this time of year with your children. All you need are some wooden shapes, paint, fine tip brushes and maybe some glue if you want to accessorize your little people. You can add angel wings, glitter, feet, hats – whatever you’d like!

Book Love & DIY Project: Mes petites Kokeshi

Book Love & DIY Project: Mes petites Kokeshi

I feel so inspired by this project that I’m going to look around in the local craft store for wood pieces while I’m on vacation (I’m taking off December 15 – Jan 7) to see if I can make a few kokeshi of my own. You can even glue ribbon to them and create ornaments!

(images: emilie guelpa)

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply caroline @trend-daily December 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm

What a great idea to make your own Holly-that would make such a lovely xmas project with the kiddies! Thank you for sharing! (wish I had been able to make your blogging weekend-looked wonderful-so glad it went well) :-)

• Reply stephanie @ Baba Souk December 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Such a cute project to make with the kids! (or with adult kids!) I absolutely adore these little people.

• Reply Chloe Moon December 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Oh my the lil wooden dolls on clothes pin are adorable!! =)

Ergo – Blog

• Reply Tinka December 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I saw this book some days ago, yes, and I fall in love with the kokeshi, too!!!!
    Very trendy.
    Tinka

• Reply Ana@FluxiOnTour December 14, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I love Griottes! She has such amazing eye and wonderful pictures. Even if I don’t understand any french, I regularly visit her blog. Enjoy your vacation, Holly and have a good time!

Ana

• Reply Lena * minamoka * December 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm

This is the first time I hear about those Kakeshi dolls – but I really like that DIY idea. They look so unique and playful. Makes me instantly want to try this, too!

• Reply Lyriel December 14, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I wasn’t aware about the book, but the pictures are absolutely adorable !!
    Have a great week end !

• Reply Jo Seaquist December 14, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Oh I love little round chubby things–these are so sweet!

• Reply Kimberly Jones December 14, 2012 at 10:19 pm

These are so adorable! I check your blog daily Holly, and I always find something charming, interesting, informative, and beautiful. I appreciate the hard work you put into your blog. I’m planning to take my 3rd Blogging Your Way workshop this spring. You are such an inspiration to me!

• Reply eskimo*rose December 15, 2012 at 12:06 am

Gorgeous – Emilie’s blog is one of my faves, but I missed this little gem ….

• Reply Aileen@AtHomeinLove December 15, 2012 at 12:20 am

Darling! I made some little wooden clothespin “dolls” similar to these for our wedding cake topper! They were pretty adorable if I do say do myself :)

• Reply Marjory December 15, 2012 at 6:08 am

Oh my! These are adorable, my grandma used to make dolls so it’s in my blood, I shall try this technique. :)

• Reply Pilar Giménez Almalé December 15, 2012 at 7:14 pm

How sweet! :)

love,
    Pili

• Reply Neil December 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Kokeshi dolls have always reminded me of Babushkas

• Reply Hanna December 16, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I love Kokeshi dolls, and these are so cute! I want to run out and make some but probably should wait until my Christmas projects are done…

• Reply Jutta von Kreativfieber December 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Never heard of Kokeshi dolls before! They are so cute!

• Reply Aline December 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Wow! So adorable… I just need to do it for holidays.

• Reply María December 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

It’s beautiful!!

• Reply Elba Valverde December 19, 2012 at 5:54 pm

These these are too cute! I made some mini wooden dolls some months ago for a baby shower. I have to say that it was a lot of fun! I called them Mr and Mrs Dot and the baby girl named Polka ?

• Reply Melissa@Julia's Bookbag January 1, 2013 at 7:58 am

I LOVE KOKESHI DOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh i really want to try making my own….

• Reply kreacaro April 29, 2015 at 12:13 pm