Book Love & DIY Project: Mes petites Kokeshi

Have you laid eyes upon the book, Mes petites Kokeshi by talented Parisian shop owner Adeline Klam? I first saw it at the Frankfurter Buch Messe in 2011 and fell in total love, I had to buy a copy despite how little French I know (though now it’s been translated into German, available here). In this book, photos truly do speak a thousand words whether you speak French or German (or not). Adeline’s projects are so cute and are all themed around the Japanese Kokeshi wooden dolls. Here is a glimpse from the book taken by my friend Emilie Guelpa from Griottes who worked on the project with her as the photographer.

Kokeshi dolls diy and book

Kokeshi dolls diy and book

Kokeshi dolls diy and book

Recently, Emilie felt very inspired from working on this book for Adeline and decided to make her own version of kokeshi dolls at home. She wrote about how she did it on her blog (click here) but here are the items she transformed into little people laid out below. This is such a beautiful and inspiring craft project to work on, especially this time of year with your children. All you need are some wooden shapes, paint, fine tip brushes and maybe some glue if you want to accessorize your little people. You can add angel wings, glitter, feet, hats – whatever you’d like!

Kokeshi dolls diy and book

Kokeshi dolls diy and book

I feel so inspired by this project that I’m going to look around in the local craft store for wood pieces while I’m on vacation (I’m taking off December 15 – Jan 7) to see if I can make a few kokeshi of my own. You can even glue ribbon to them and create ornaments!

(images: emilie guelpa)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on December 14, 2012

1. caroline @trend-daily commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 3:52pm

What a great idea to make your own Holly-that would make such a lovely xmas project with the kiddies! Thank you for sharing! (wish I had been able to make your blogging weekend-looked wonderful-so glad it went well) :-)
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Styling Details…

2. stephanie @ Baba Souk commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 3:56pm

Such a cute project to make with the kids! (or with adult kids!) I absolutely adore these little people.
    stephanie @ Baba Souk´s last blog post ..Royal

3. Chloe Moon commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 4:13pm

Oh my the lil wooden dolls on clothes pin are adorable!! =)

Ergo – Blog
    Chloe Moon´s last blog post ..I Want To Be The Girl With The Most Cake…

4. Tinka commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 4:26pm

I saw this book some days ago, yes, and I fall in love with the kokeshi, too!!!!
    Very trendy.
    Tinka

5. Ana@FluxiOnTour commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 7:44pm

I love Griottes! She has such amazing eye and wonderful pictures. Even if I don’t understand any french, I regularly visit her blog. Enjoy your vacation, Holly and have a good time!

Ana
    Ana@FluxiOnTour´s last blog post ..Der Frage-Foto-Freitag & Friday Goodie

6. Lena * minamoka * commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 8:28pm

This is the first time I hear about those Kakeshi dolls – but I really like that DIY idea. They look so unique and playful. Makes me instantly want to try this, too!
    Lena * minamoka *´s last blog post ..LET ME TAKE YOU TO SINGAPORE

7. Lyriel commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 8:32pm

I wasn’t aware about the book, but the pictures are absolutely adorable !!
    Have a great week end !
    Lyriel´s last blog post ..Crystal Bulb shop by Lee Broom

8. Jo Seaquist commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 8:48pm

Oh I love little round chubby things–these are so sweet!
    Jo Seaquist´s last blog post ..Of Uncertain Value

9. Kimberly Jones commented
    December 14th, 2012 at 10:19pm

These are so adorable! I check your blog daily Holly, and I always find something charming, interesting, informative, and beautiful. I appreciate the hard work you put into your blog. I’m planning to take my 3rd Blogging Your Way workshop this spring. You are such an inspiration to me!
    Kimberly Jones´s last blog post ..{collage journal} red + black + cream

10. eskimo*rose commented
    December 15th, 2012 at 12:06am

Gorgeous – Emilie’s blog is one of my faves, but I missed this little gem ….
    eskimo*rose´s last blog post ..christmas crush: 14 december 2012

11. Aileen@AtHomeinLove commented
    December 15th, 2012 at 12:20am

Darling! I made some little wooden clothespin “dolls” similar to these for our wedding cake topper! They were pretty adorable if I do say do myself :)

12. Marjory commented
    December 15th, 2012 at 6:08am

Oh my! These are adorable, my grandma used to make dolls so it’s in my blood, I shall try this technique. :)
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Ten ideas to create a space your [inner] child loves

13. Pilar Giménez Almalé commented
    December 15th, 2012 at 7:14pm

How sweet! :)

love,
    Pili

14. Neil commented
    December 15th, 2012 at 8:29pm

Kokeshi dolls have always reminded me of Babushkas
    Neil´s last blog post ..We Ship Furniture Worldwide Now!

15. Hanna commented
    December 16th, 2012 at 8:04pm

I love Kokeshi dolls, and these are so cute! I want to run out and make some but probably should wait until my Christmas projects are done…
    Hanna´s last blog post ..November Birds – 30

16. Jutta von Kreativfieber commented
    December 17th, 2012 at 2:09pm

Never heard of Kokeshi dolls before! They are so cute!
    Jutta von Kreativfieber´s last blog post ..Leckerschmecker – Zimtsterne

17. Aline commented
    December 17th, 2012 at 7:09pm

Wow! So adorable… I just need to do it for holidays.

18. María commented
    December 18th, 2012 at 3:38pm

It’s beautiful!!
    María´s last blog post ..Sorteo de COCINA

19. Elba Valverde commented
    December 19th, 2012 at 5:54pm

These these are too cute! I made some mini wooden dolls some months ago for a baby shower. I have to say that it was a lot of fun! I called them Mr and Mrs Dot and the baby girl named Polka ?
    Elba Valverde´s last blog post ..LET’S TALK ABOUT OUR JOYS

20. Melissa@Julia's Bookbag commented
    January 1st, 2013 at 7:58am

I LOVE KOKESHI DOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh i really want to try making my own….
    Melissa@Julia’s Bookbag´s last blog post ..It’s almost 2013, yo!