Liberty London New Season Flower Show Fabrics

If you know me well, you know all about my extreme fondness for fabrics produced by Liberty London. Liberty has held a spot in my heart since first learning about them in 2004 when I was in design school and our teacher raved over their exciting patterns and colorways. I definitely saw what the fuss was all about then and I still do. Liberty prints and patterns are some of the best in the world in my opinion and I love them.

Liberty London

I use their fabrics in many of my craft projects at home and even in my workshops. Do you? I’m not sure if you know this, but when I launched my first book, Liberty was nice enough to host a large event for me at their London flagship store in April 2011. I felt I had died and gone to heaven. A day after the event, they invited me back to do a few lectures and I ran into Amy Butler who was signing books and made a new friend – a day later we were shopping together in Notting Hill. I also more recently used Liberty patterns framing pages in my new book and was thrilled that they were happy to allow me to do so.

Liberty London

Liberty London

Liberty London

I really love fresh new season of prints in their Flower Show collection. Some are shown above. Can you imagine all of the pretty things you can do with them? I am already dreaming of a few.

How much do you really know about Liberty fabrics? I ask because until recently, I didn’t know much about their process or production. I received a thorough education simply by watching this video narrated by Mollie Makes magazine.  I respect their brand even more now – they are made in England in an old factory with real people who have a passion for this line of work producing them. How nice (and rare these days!).  Please watch the video, really, it’s great.

(images: liberty london)

Posted by decor8 in textiles on January 16, 2013

1. Inge commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 5:57pm

Wow, that is the first time I heard they print their fabrics. I have been to Liberty in London last year in November and thought it was really cool to enter that old building, but didn’t really know anything about it. I saw some great shoes there though… :-) So thank you for sharing this information Holly!

I thought that video is really interesting. How many companies produce quality products in their own country nowadays?? It’s great to see the process, didn’t know that! Glad I learned something new today. :-)

It’s always so nice to pick up new things on your blog… I even let my mom read an old feature of you and your blog in VT Wonen today. :-) She thought what you do is really cool and encouraged me to pursue my dreams as well (writing & decorating). So I will definitely enroll in your class this year, no doubt about it!
    And I’m anxiously waiting for your book Decorate Workshop… It will arrive around February 25th, and I’m soooo excited about it! :-) This year I will change what I don’t like about my life. You’re my big example Holly!!

Love, Inge x
    Inge´s last blog post ..Your Spot is Hot: Scandinavian Camping

2. Neele commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 6:12pm

Thanks, great video (for a fabric freak like me).
    Made me think of a schooltrip I once took to a factory where they still printed linnen upholstery fabrics by hand. Also florals.

3. Femke Dekker - ter Meulen commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 7:40pm

I am such a huge Liberty fan! When I worked on Carnaby Street in London 10 years ago, I would step in every lunch break ;)
    Femke Dekker – ter Meulen´s last blog post ..Happy monday ceramics

4. Tracy commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 8:18pm

So pretty! What a process to print. Never thought of it before. Thanks for sharing!

5. RJ commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 9:27pm

I will say it over and over again. I love patterns. The fact that they print their own patterns is great. It means they have unique items. I plan to check them out. Do they ship to the US?
    RJ´s last blog post ..DIY Project: Bookmarks

6. Joanne commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 9:57pm

I’ve always admired Liberty prints but thought they were a bit too floral for me. Looking at these, I think I was wrong; I need some!
    Joanne´s last blog post ..A fresh coat of paint

7. Silkie commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 10:22pm

Hi Holly,
    Thanks so much for that link, really fascinating ,especially interesting as i so want to move onto designing fabric! Great to see the experts at work and to hear that it’s manufactured in the UK too , thanks as ever for all the lovely things you share

8. Kristin Johnsen commented
    January 16th, 2013 at 11:19pm

I too love Liberty fabrics. We don’t see them where I live much so I was excited to find so many in a fabric store in New York this summer – wanted to bring them all homes with me! I have a hard time cutting into the fabrics I have, but love to just feel them now and then, since they have Such a nice hand. Thanks for sharing these new patterns- LOVE them!

9. Jahje commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 12:26am

Wow, that video is amazing. Between that and the new prints I am absolutely drooling and inspired. I need to get my hands on some of these and have a date with my sewing machine.

10. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 2:23am

I know…. isn’t the new collection amazing Holly? I’ve already made my requests from Purl Soho in NYC as they sell 1/4yd pieces that I can use in my food styling! Sooo excited for new fabrics to play with, I would really love to have them all on hand!
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Super Salad for a New Year – Detox Demystified

11. Ann Nordquist commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 5:28am

Thank you for sharing this awesome video of Liberty fabrics!!
    Liberty, Amy Butler & Marimekko are all my faves!!
    Time for me to buy some fabric for a quilt…you’ve inspired me Holly!!
    Ann Nordquist´s last blog post ..Cozy warmth

12. Angela - anManufaktur commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 9:44am

Thank you for that video. As a textile designer I worked for so many years together with printers. The moment when your design comes out of the printing machine is so exciting and amazing. Since I work as a freelancer, I do no longer have the opportunity visiting printers.
    Angela – anManufaktur´s last blog post ..InteriorViews: STORM COTTAGE | Great Barrier Island

13. Katerina Thomas commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 11:15am

My mother used to take me to Liberty as a child, and I adored the haberdashery department, now I’m a mother and I take my daughter. Just walking up the creaky staircase (who’s timbers originated from HMS Hindustan and the HMS Impregnable) and looking up the light wells to the treasures on the floors above. Long may Liberty delight us – great post!

14. Jutta von Kreativfieber commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 11:47am

Wow, i could spend hours in their room with the sample boxes! Thanks for sharing the video!
    Jutta von Kreativfieber´s last blog post ..DIY Handschuhe mit Fleecefutter

15. Katrin commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 12:49pm

Hi Holly,

I studied textiles for 6 years and don’t think you can receive thorough education by watching this video. ;) It’s been very nicely made though, and I enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

16. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 3:04pm

So pretty! Haven’t heard of them before, but they’re lovely!
    Tabitha (From Single to Married)´s last blog post ..Is it March Yet?

17. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 3:32pm

such a fascinating video. i have always loved liberty fabrics, so it’s really great being able to see the process behind creating them.
    Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Christine d’Ornano’s Notting Hill Townhouse

18. Greta commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 5:41pm

I just love Liberty and these new prints are just stunning! :)
    Greta´s last blog post ..Acorn

19. KMP Modern commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 6:38pm

On my first trip to London, I was taken to Liberty’s. I loved the sumptuous dark wood interiors and of course fell in love with the fabrics. Recently Target had a collection with them, but it wasn’t the same. Thanks for the video link. Love it!

20. Kandy Christensen commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 9:11pm

I love Liberty and I just adore their sense of history. I gasped when I read that you use your Liberty fabric! I’ve been hoarding mine and I know I need to start cutting it and using it.

21. katelewisart commented
    January 17th, 2013 at 9:25pm

i continue to be inspired by their prints. the video was fantastic! thanks :)

22. splendourandrouge commented
    January 18th, 2013 at 1:37am

Lovely!

23. Kris {Driven by Décor} commented
    January 18th, 2013 at 4:31am

I’ve never heard of Liberty Fabrics before but they are fantastic! So glad that I came upon your blog and this post!

24. belen gomez commented
    January 18th, 2013 at 10:02am

I first visited Liberty as a child with my mother and it was magical. In those days, 1960s/70s it was much more of an exotic emporium, just full of treasure.Years later I sold my pottery through them and it was my mother’s delight to go and keep an eye on it especially when it was displayed in the windows. Every so often I save up and buy a Liberty print shirt. They are a prized collection and last for years, improving with age as the cotton softens and feels like a second skin.

25. Jane commented
    January 18th, 2013 at 12:44pm

Oh Holly. I adore Liberty Tana lawn. I use it to make my Planet Joy pieces. There’s nothing like it for prettiness, silkiness and sheer ease to work with. *Sigh*. J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..Wooden letter 'O' covered in Liberty of London fabric by PlanetJoy

26. Tracy A. commented
    January 18th, 2013 at 3:18pm

Wow! I loved the video – I’m always so intrigued by “process”. Their fabric is beautiful!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post ..Ryan Gosling’s "Perfect Day" Activity? Knitting!

27. La Vida en Craft commented
    January 18th, 2013 at 9:03pm

Wow, great and beautiful video! Thank`s

28. Beccy commented
    January 19th, 2013 at 3:29pm

I love Liberty fabrics. Thank you for sharing the video. Really interesting. My favourite of the new fabrics here is the large blue poppies. I went at Christmas and I always inspired by what they do.

29. Marjory commented
    January 19th, 2013 at 7:26pm

These patterns are beautiful. Love the flower show collection. Inspiring!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Slowing down to savor life

30. Jessica @shimmerkai commented
    January 21st, 2013 at 12:25pm

The prints and colors are beautiful! Reminds me of spring.
    Jessica @shimmerkai´s last blog post ..Photo Books

31. HampshireF commented
    January 22nd, 2013 at 6:06pm

Liberty do create the most delicate, pretty prints. These are all reminding me of spring in the woods and forests. I’d love to make lots of little pillows in contrasting Liberty patterns (and a few dresses if I had the skill).

32. glomerylane commented
    January 27th, 2013 at 10:07am

Oh, Holly, I love the Liberty fabrics!
    I’ll be in London in May for the Chelsea Flowershow and I’ll definitly spent a whole day at Liberty :)

Happy Sunday.
    inga

33. Amberly commented
    January 28th, 2013 at 5:04am

Wow that was a very cool video! I know nothing about the fabric industry so seeing how much is involved (esp the attention to color) is really eye opening. Thanks for the link! As a huge fan of florals, I am in love with more than a dozen of those you’ve shown us above. They’re very unique and so precious!
    Amberly´s last blog post ..Looking for Great Whites