Objects

Liberty London New Season Flower Show Fabrics

January 16, 2013

If you know me well, you know all about my extreme fondness for fabrics produced by Liberty London. Liberty has held a spot in my heart since first learning about them in 2004 when I was in design school and our teacher raved over their exciting patterns and colorways. I definitely saw what the fuss was all about then and I still do. Liberty prints and patterns are some of the best in the world in my opinion and I love them.

Liberty London New Season Flower Show Fabrics

I use their fabrics in many of my craft projects at home and even in my workshops. Do you? I’m not sure if you know this, but when I launched my first book, Liberty was nice enough to host a large event for me at their London flagship store in April 2011. I felt I had died and gone to heaven. A day after the event, they invited me back to do a few lectures and I ran into Amy Butler who was signing books and made a new friend – a day later we were shopping together in Notting Hill. I also more recently used Liberty patterns framing pages in my new book and was thrilled that they were happy to allow me to do so.

Liberty London New Season Flower Show Fabrics

Liberty London New Season Flower Show Fabrics

Liberty London New Season Flower Show Fabrics

I really love fresh new season of prints in their Flower Show collection. Some are shown above. Can you imagine all of the pretty things you can do with them? I am already dreaming of a few.

How much do you really know about Liberty fabrics? I ask because until recently, I didn’t know much about their process or production. I received a thorough education simply by watching this video narrated by Mollie Makes magazine.  I respect their brand even more now – they are made in England in an old factory with real people who have a passion for this line of work producing them. How nice (and rare these days!).  Please watch the video, really, it’s great.

(images: liberty london)

You Might Also Like

33 Comments

• Reply Inge January 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Wow, that is the first time I heard they print their fabrics. I have been to Liberty in London last year in November and thought it was really cool to enter that old building, but didn’t really know anything about it. I saw some great shoes there though… :-) So thank you for sharing this information Holly!

I thought that video is really interesting. How many companies produce quality products in their own country nowadays?? It’s great to see the process, didn’t know that! Glad I learned something new today. :-)

It’s always so nice to pick up new things on your blog… I even let my mom read an old feature of you and your blog in VT Wonen today. :-) She thought what you do is really cool and encouraged me to pursue my dreams as well (writing & decorating). So I will definitely enroll in your class this year, no doubt about it!
    And I’m anxiously waiting for your book Decorate Workshop… It will arrive around February 25th, and I’m soooo excited about it! :-) This year I will change what I don’t like about my life. You’re my big example Holly!!

Love, Inge x

• Reply Neele January 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thanks, great video (for a fabric freak like me).
    Made me think of a schooltrip I once took to a factory where they still printed linnen upholstery fabrics by hand. Also florals.

• Reply Femke Dekker - ter Meulen January 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I am such a huge Liberty fan! When I worked on Carnaby Street in London 10 years ago, I would step in every lunch break ;)

• Reply Tracy January 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm

So pretty! What a process to print. Never thought of it before. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply RJ January 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I will say it over and over again. I love patterns. The fact that they print their own patterns is great. It means they have unique items. I plan to check them out. Do they ship to the US?

• Reply Joanne January 16, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I’ve always admired Liberty prints but thought they were a bit too floral for me. Looking at these, I think I was wrong; I need some!

• Reply Silkie January 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Hi Holly,
    Thanks so much for that link, really fascinating ,especially interesting as i so want to move onto designing fabric! Great to see the experts at work and to hear that it’s manufactured in the UK too , thanks as ever for all the lovely things you share

• Reply Kristin Johnsen January 16, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I too love Liberty fabrics. We don’t see them where I live much so I was excited to find so many in a fabric store in New York this summer – wanted to bring them all homes with me! I have a hard time cutting into the fabrics I have, but love to just feel them now and then, since they have Such a nice hand. Thanks for sharing these new patterns- LOVE them!

• Reply Jahje January 17, 2013 at 12:26 am

Wow, that video is amazing. Between that and the new prints I am absolutely drooling and inspired. I need to get my hands on some of these and have a date with my sewing machine.

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister January 17, 2013 at 2:23 am

I know…. isn’t the new collection amazing Holly? I’ve already made my requests from Purl Soho in NYC as they sell 1/4yd pieces that I can use in my food styling! Sooo excited for new fabrics to play with, I would really love to have them all on hand!

• Reply Ann Nordquist January 17, 2013 at 5:28 am

Thank you for sharing this awesome video of Liberty fabrics!!
    Liberty, Amy Butler & Marimekko are all my faves!!
    Time for me to buy some fabric for a quilt…you’ve inspired me Holly!!

• Reply Angela - anManufaktur January 17, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thank you for that video. As a textile designer I worked for so many years together with printers. The moment when your design comes out of the printing machine is so exciting and amazing. Since I work as a freelancer, I do no longer have the opportunity visiting printers.

• Reply Katerina Thomas January 17, 2013 at 11:15 am

My mother used to take me to Liberty as a child, and I adored the haberdashery department, now I’m a mother and I take my daughter. Just walking up the creaky staircase (who’s timbers originated from HMS Hindustan and the HMS Impregnable) and looking up the light wells to the treasures on the floors above. Long may Liberty delight us – great post!

• Reply Jutta von Kreativfieber January 17, 2013 at 11:47 am

Wow, i could spend hours in their room with the sample boxes! Thanks for sharing the video!

• Reply Katrin January 17, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Hi Holly,

I studied textiles for 6 years and don’t think you can receive thorough education by watching this video. ;) It’s been very nicely made though, and I enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Tabitha (From Single to Married) January 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm

So pretty! Haven’t heard of them before, but they’re lovely!

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} January 17, 2013 at 3:32 pm

such a fascinating video. i have always loved liberty fabrics, so it’s really great being able to see the process behind creating them.

• Reply Greta January 17, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I just love Liberty and these new prints are just stunning! :)

• Reply KMP Modern January 17, 2013 at 6:38 pm

On my first trip to London, I was taken to Liberty’s. I loved the sumptuous dark wood interiors and of course fell in love with the fabrics. Recently Target had a collection with them, but it wasn’t the same. Thanks for the video link. Love it!

• Reply Kandy Christensen January 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I love Liberty and I just adore their sense of history. I gasped when I read that you use your Liberty fabric! I’ve been hoarding mine and I know I need to start cutting it and using it.

• Reply katelewisart January 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm

i continue to be inspired by their prints. the video was fantastic! thanks :)

• Reply splendourandrouge January 18, 2013 at 1:37 am

Lovely!

• Reply Kris {Driven by Décor} January 18, 2013 at 4:31 am

I’ve never heard of Liberty Fabrics before but they are fantastic! So glad that I came upon your blog and this post!

• Reply belen gomez January 18, 2013 at 10:02 am

I first visited Liberty as a child with my mother and it was magical. In those days, 1960s/70s it was much more of an exotic emporium, just full of treasure.Years later I sold my pottery through them and it was my mother’s delight to go and keep an eye on it especially when it was displayed in the windows. Every so often I save up and buy a Liberty print shirt. They are a prized collection and last for years, improving with age as the cotton softens and feels like a second skin.

• Reply Jane January 18, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Oh Holly. I adore Liberty Tana lawn. I use it to make my Planet Joy pieces. There’s nothing like it for prettiness, silkiness and sheer ease to work with. *Sigh*. J x

• Reply Tracy A. January 18, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Wow! I loved the video – I’m always so intrigued by “process”. Their fabric is beautiful!

• Reply La Vida en Craft January 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Wow, great and beautiful video! Thank`s

• Reply Beccy January 19, 2013 at 3:29 pm

I love Liberty fabrics. Thank you for sharing the video. Really interesting. My favourite of the new fabrics here is the large blue poppies. I went at Christmas and I always inspired by what they do.

• Reply Marjory January 19, 2013 at 7:26 pm

These patterns are beautiful. Love the flower show collection. Inspiring!

• Reply Jessica @shimmerkai January 21, 2013 at 12:25 pm

The prints and colors are beautiful! Reminds me of spring.

• Reply HampshireF January 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Liberty do create the most delicate, pretty prints. These are all reminding me of spring in the woods and forests. I’d love to make lots of little pillows in contrasting Liberty patterns (and a few dresses if I had the skill).

• Reply glomerylane January 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

Oh, Holly, I love the Liberty fabrics!
    I’ll be in London in May for the Chelsea Flowershow and I’ll definitly spent a whole day at Liberty :)

Happy Sunday.
    inga

• Reply Amberly January 28, 2013 at 5:04 am

Wow that was a very cool video! I know nothing about the fabric industry so seeing how much is involved (esp the attention to color) is really eye opening. Thanks for the link! As a huge fan of florals, I am in love with more than a dozen of those you’ve shown us above. They’re very unique and so precious!