Inspiration

Roller Skating Inspiration

January 21, 2013

It’s Monday and I’m feeling good about this week because I have lists a mile long and they’re motivating me to get crackin’ on some projects I’ve been putting off. How is your week starting out? Hopefully good and interesting. One thing on my list that I started over the weekend has to do with my Pinterest account and improving it for myself and others. I’ve been a passionate pinner all weekend creating new boards and organizing them all so that I am more inspired to pin and so the new look I’ve given my page (packed with gorgeous themed boards clearly marked) will inspire others, too.

Roller Skating Inspiration

Until now, I did very little to promote my boards but I see real value in doing so and that is why one of my goals for 2013 is to monitor whether or not my efforts on Pinterest pan out or not. I’ll let you know in December! For now, new boards and organization was my first step! :) I’ve also decided to pin almost daily – which isn’t that hard considering I always have my iPad on me anyway and pinning takes very little time and in fact, is helpful to me because I can organize things so much better than by using bookmarks in my browser.

One board I created over the weekend is called Roller Skates. I love roller skating despite that I own and use inline skates — I still prefer four wheels over blades any day. I find inline skates so ugly (sorry) which is another reason I don’t enjoy putting them on my feet – when I look down and see these gigantic shiny black “Darth Vaderesque” things looking back at me I feel a bit uncomfortable because they are big, high off the ground and super ugly. Trust me, I don’t need pink skates with Hello Kitty, that’s not my style (or age group) either. I just want something stylish and well, fun. Are you feeling me on this?

Roller Skating Inspiration

Why my obsession with roller skates, aren’t those like soooo 80’s? YUP. So is neon and the whole geometric trend. Who cares. I like roller skates simply because they remind me of fun times, are so much better looking that inline skates and you can customize and personalize them to look even cuter (don’t I sound SO 12 years old right now?!?) PLUS they are less massive and make you look so much hotter in shorts over mega Darth Blader skates. I’m not hatin’, I own inline skates and use them but sheesh, you have to admit they aren’t that easy on the eyes.

Vanity aside though, I also like roller skates for all practical purposes – getting from point A to B but also — I love to skate! It’s great aerobic exercise and lots of fun.  When it comes to safety, I also prefer stopping because it is wayyyy more intuitive (front toe stops! woot!) than having one stopper located in the BACK of only ONE skate. Who thought of that?!? Hello! I tend to stop in a much cooler fashion in old school skates vs. inline skates – Mainly since I adopt the tree hugger position using inline skates. I do this funny skip jump BONK thing off of the pavement when I need to stop so I can grab (slam into) the nearest tree. When going at a good, motivating break neck speed, I’ve been known to crash into trees and park benches to only look up, smile at the nearest passerby running to my aid, acting like, “Oh, this – pleassssse I totally meant to take a break on this pretty bench” or “Oh no need to offer to call 9-11, I’m cool, just felt a sudden burning need to hug a tree today and connect with nature”. In reality though, I simply cannot brake in inline skates no matter how many YEARS I’ve been using them.

I have a little something to reveal while I’m in the sharing mood and now that you know how classy I am on inline skates. I started roller skating (at a rink with a wooden floor!) when I was 4 years old. I wasn’t going to say “wooden floor” because that would age me but yeah, it was wood though for the record, the rink was already considered old school back then in the late 70s. I remember the skate guard chasing me around for the full two hours I was there because I refused to skate in the correct direction and instead, kept INSISTING that I skate TOWARDS the people. He would stop me, physically turn me around and say, “This way!”, and the moment he skated off, I would turn around and mumble, “NO this way.” I still remember my mother and her friends standing along rink-side with hands cupped around their mouths screaming, “Hollyyyyyy, come here, you’re going to get hurt!” and “Skate THAT way, Holly!”, but I refused to listen. They didn’t have skates on, and the rink was packed with teenagers, so it wasn’t like they were going to run out and get me. I think skating gave me this rush of independence because on skates (I was fast too), I wasn’t Holly the 4 year old, I was Hollyfreakingawesome. Over the years, skating gave me wings and crazy amounts of self confidence.

Roller Skating Inspiration

By the time I was 7 years old, I was participating in weekly speed skating competitions in my local rink (with highly polished floors and a massive disco ball!) and winning competitions against girls and boys. Oh yeah, I wasn’t just going to skate around and smile at boys, I was going to race ’em. I skated weekly my entire childhood indoors and outdoors but I went to the rink twice a week for as long as I can remember.

If you know what “shoot the duck”, “all skate”, “free skate”, “backwards skate”, “dance skate” and “couples skate” even means, then we are kindred spirits. If you ever cared about matching your pompoms to your outfit, you get it. If you remember couples skates to Wham! (Careless Whisper comes to mind) you and I are of the same skater girl blood. If disco balls still rock your world, yup – we could hang.

By the time I was 14, I had broken and lost several teeth on rinks and on roads, fractured my Tibia which kept me in bed for 3 months and sprained my wrist a few times and fractured my arm. Kids, right? Skating was my passion despite how many times I fell – I always got up. Skating was my life but being so dedicated to a sport where you fall so often yet still make progress, skating taught me the facts of life long before I became a grown up.

In addition to breaking things (mostly bones), I also knew how to fix stuff. I could name every part on my skate, I could fix them when they broke, and I was constantly in the “pro shop” trying to find the latest wheels and parts to pimp out my skates. I went from a high boot to a low boot when I was 9 because I could skate faster in them.

Sadly though, skating rinks started to close and by the time I was 15 and we relocated to Boston, I had to carpool with my friends from Boston to New Hampshire just to find a decent rink. Eventually, skating was no longer on my weekly agenda. I got my driver’s license, really discovered boys and oh well – the skates went on the shelf.

But I still think about them. A lot.

So that’s why I created a Roller Skate pinboard. I know, LONGGGGG story right? But I think it’s interesting to learn WHY people do things, because perhaps there is a back story and those can be quite fascinating. I hope that you enjoy my ever-growing roller skate board on Pinterest and that it brings back a happy time in your life for you, too. It’s got nothing to do with interior design or decorating but who cares, inspiration comes from often the oddest places.

By the way, if you want to own some cool skates, check these out over at Topshop. I first spotted them in person in December at the Conran Shop in London last year and fell in love. You will too.

P.S. How many of you would love to see roller rinks return? But really COOL modern ones… Oh heck yeah.

(images: backstage dresser, oracle fox, ban.do, topshop and lovely bride )

You Might Also Like

58 Comments

• Reply Iwona January 21, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Hi:) I love these rollers! I really like your blog!!! Always very interesting post and beautiful photos… I always read your blog with great joy:) I recommended it on my blog. I invite you to my blog:) I wish you all good and I greet:) Iwona

• Reply Diane Zerr January 21, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I found my way back to roller skating through Roller Derby! I slapped on a pair of skates at 32 years old and now roller skate a few times a week. The best exercise, new friendships, and it brought me back to an activity that I loved as a kid. AND it’s something that my son and I can do together. We have a few rinks around here to use, so if you have one near you, slap on a pair of skates and support it! :)

• Reply Katie January 21, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Kindred spirits. YES! Growing up in Montana, most of my skating was on ice. We did shoot the ducks, too. But really? It was the jumping and fancy footwork that struck me. Laced up my skates on Christmas this year, and it was like the magic had all returned.
    Thanks for the memories and beautiful words about skates.

• Reply Anette@lebenslustiger January 21, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Oh what a fun and inspiring – and beautiful – post!!! I DID wonder about all those roller skate pins from the weekend but now it all makes sense :))) You are absolutely right: You never know what fascinating stories can be behind a person. It’s always worth to stay open and curious for lives many adventures and stories…I must admit: I’m addicted to Pinterest – it became my place to relax and get inspired – greetings from Anette

• Reply Chloe Moon January 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Ooo!!! I love that you can create anything for a Pinterest board and I love that your roller skate inspiration is out of the box! That weddingesque first shot is awesome! I’ll go check out the other lil gems you’ve found!

• Reply Miranda January 21, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Holly, what a great story to read! This made me smile, the way you talk about it and those ugly inline skates, Yes! I defenitely share that meaning :)
    I’m getting excited about the roller skates by reading your post, i used to have these bluw with yellow ones when i was a kid. Now you’re nearly making me buy these beautiful stylish ones :)
    Thanks for sharing, and i noticed already you were busy pinning last weekend. I’m going to rearrange my boards too. Thank you so much for motivating me ;)

XO Miranda

• Reply Karen K January 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Love this post, thanks!
    For the past year, during stressful times, (just went full time freelance designer) I have this recurring dream where I’m roller skating all over the place…fancy boutiques, old high school, etc.
    People try to run me off but I just speed on by, wherever I want to go. I always wake up happy & have been thinking maybe it’s time to get a pair & find out what my subconscious is trying to tell me!

• Reply coriLM January 21, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Love, Love, Love to skate. Still have my Chicago Skates from 1978 which I bought to get myself to class at ASU after my Schwinn Continental was stolen. Not pretty, but great street skates and I can still squeeze my toes in after 2 kids. To recapture that 12-year-old feeling, I started playing ice hockey at 52… a good fit for Minnesota winters! Thanks for a great post and making me smile!

• Reply Bill Carlson January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm

SKATE WITH ME!

You nailed the roller skating story. I love it, thats what roller skating is all about.

Great happy memories forever.

Thank you. I prefer quads too.

Best always,
    BC.

• Reply Elisabeth January 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I am only 19, but have been to one of those old-school roller rinks- there’s one only about 45 minutes from my hometown. It has the disco ball, wood floors, the same music as you probably heard, and it is always full of skaters. I’m sure they’re pretty rare now, but they do still exist.

• Reply Amanda January 21, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I definitely agree that rollerskates are much more aesthetically pleasing than inline skates- sure they’re retro, but I think they’re retro enough that they fill us with nostalgia.

I discovered skating right around the time when inline skating really took off, and I never really took to rollerskating too well. I was a clutsy child (and adult!), and found inline skating (particularly the grippier wheels!) easier- although I never really mastered the stop.

My biggest rollerskating memory, from when I was around 7 years old, was forming a skating train with my cousins in our grandparents’ paved yard- we skated up a small slope, someone fell over, and I ended up landing HARD on my butt. It wasn’t a whole lot of fun!

• Reply Heather B January 21, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I just loved skating! I wasn’t great at it but boy was it fun! I do remember feeling really bummed when it was couples skate and the boy that I had a crush on was skating with someone else *sigh* When I was in elementary school I used to skate around my front porch, usually while singing at the top of my lungs. I used a version of the the Holly method of stopping. I’d just run my toes right into the railing. The entire porch baseboard was covered with dents. :-) My 6th grade birthday was at a rink. I’d love it if there was a resurgence! That would be so nice!

• Reply Gosia January 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm

this post made me smile! And remember: 1989 in Poland and me with AMERICAN roller skates , white with lavender laces and wheels. NO body had similar ones back then in entire Warsaw. It made me feel… well, I’m sure you get it. Thanks for posting your story!

• Reply jenna January 21, 2013 at 7:04 pm

i am not sure where you live but you should check out your local roller derby. you would love it!

• Reply Araya @ Wind and Willow Home January 21, 2013 at 8:35 pm

YES! Some of my favorite memories are spending all Summer (from morning until dark) skating on our blacktop driveway. My brother and I choreographing dances to Disney songs. Learning new spin moves and ways to stylishly jump over cracks. We didn’t have a rink anywhere near but it all took place on our driveway.
    He went on to be a dance choreographer (your welcome bro :) I went on to imagine the days when I can teach my daughter some “moves”. I think this is the year! YAY!

• Reply Tracy January 21, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Oh, my! I could get lost for days in your beautiful pinterest boards!

We LIVED at roller rinks in the ’70s! I remember “couples skate,” “all skate,” “shoot the duck,” limbo on roller skates…those were the days!

• Reply Bettina January 21, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I am interested in seeing how Pinterest works for everyone. I pin for a while now and find it very helpful to show clients my boards for inspiration. There are so many options if you want to decorate a room and Pinterest helps to show clients what’s out there! Not everybody is following blogs and magazines regularly. I am constantly pinning and sorting things on boards and agree with Holly that it is much easier than only bookmarking. Feel free to browse my boards: http://pinterest.com/bdcolourdesign/

• Reply Brenda January 21, 2013 at 10:47 pm

What a cute story, and amazing pictures you pinned!
    There is a skate rink near my house in the Netherlands, but it is usually filled with inline skaters and small kids’ parties. A few times a year, including next saturday, there is a roller disco for adults. Although I didn’t roll as a kid (I lived in a small village near an interstate and a dirt road…) I love to do it as an adult!

• Reply Shauna Grammatico January 21, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Holly…..I feel like “I” wrote this blog myself!!! How crazy is that?! I grew up in Omaha, Nebraska and like you I was either in a rink or on the pavement with skates (quads only….blades suck)! The day I turned 16, I got my first job IN a roller rink. I love skating sooo much and agree that too many rinks have closed their doors or given up on the experience that my partner Angela and I are trying like heck to open our very own skating center in Murrieta, California! We need to bring some of the nostalgia of our youth back to the kids of today! I would love it if you could share the results of your pole with me regarding how many people would love to see rinks return. The information would be greatly appreciated. I cannot wait to see what you post next!

• Reply Jules January 21, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Did I roller skate?! I don’t know, that depends on whether you consider skating to be me and Kristy Moore choreographing an entire skate-dance routine to Olivia Newton-John’s “Magic” from the Xanadu soundtrack. That was after we wore out my double compilation ABBA tape, “The Singles.”

Work it.

• Reply decor8 January 22, 2013 at 3:00 pm

@Jules – LOL Love it!!!

• Reply Jen January 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Roller skating is alive and well!!! My family’s company has been in the roller skating business for 42 years and still have 18 locations nationwide. Its a true american sport that has the nostalgia of days gone past but is the same fun and fitness that its always been. Whether its one of our rinks or one if the hundreds of rinks nationwide get out and get your skate on!

ps – I am a big fan of your blog and own your book ;)

• Reply Danielle January 21, 2013 at 11:38 pm

A few people have mentioned already, but if you do love skating, you definitely should check out your local roller derby league!
    I’ve been playing derby for 2 years now (in Melbourne, Australia), and it’s the best exercise ever! Not only do you automatically gain a new derby family you have the best fun exercising at such an intense level! It’s a power sport to empower women.
    Check it out sometime :)

• Reply Beth January 22, 2013 at 12:13 am

Aaaaah, LOVE THIS! I still have the fuchsia-pink roller boots I got when I was 11 — my feet haven’t grown since then (in 24 years…). However all I could ever do on them was speed round the house or roll timidly back and forth on the drive and pretend to dance to ‘Magic’ from the film Xanadu… ;)

Love this blog and your Pinterest posts — just so much fabulousness to behold!!!!

• Reply decor8 January 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

@Beth – I never saw Xanadu – I was too young so my mother wouldn’t let me!!! :) I should rent it for fun!

• Reply Amanda Louise January 22, 2013 at 2:06 am

I actually just went roller skating for my last birthday shindig! It was so much fun. So many of my friends hadn’t been since they were 10 and had a blast. Also, I used to follow this blog religiously 2 years ago. I’m so glad I refound it!

• Reply Katja January 22, 2013 at 10:59 am

In one sentence you said it all: “Skating was my life but being so dedicated to a sport where you fall so often yet still make progress, skating taught me the facts of life long before I became a grown up.” That`s the most important. Never give up. Get up when you fall. Never give up your passion and dreams. I both had roller skates and inline skates and loved them both. I miss those days but I miss all those late 80`s and early 90`s. Can`t help nostalgia sometimes.

• Reply Pauline January 22, 2013 at 11:20 am

I used to be a roller girl too!! Loving all your skate pins!

I just recently went skating at a new skate rink that has just opened south west of Sydney.

Was soooo much fun, very rusty to begin with and collided with a teenage boy who was very scary on his skates, but got the hang of it again, sort of!!

Love your blog!!

• Reply lori January 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Oh, those were the days! I miss those roller rinks!! I definitely would love to see a comeback so my kids can experience it, too :)

• Reply Tracy A. January 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I loved roller skating as a kid – just loved it. I know fear breaking bones I’m afraid! If only all of life were as easy to tidy up as it is our Pinterest accounts! I also tend to pin daily – I have a irrational fear of missing something!

• Reply Gina Hicks January 22, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Holly, I saw all your roller skating pins popping up on pinterest and was so excited to see what was going to come of it. Like you and a few others who have commented, I grew up at a skating rink and then didn’t skate for almost 20 years! But now I play roller derby! It’s such great exercise and I have developed some truly amazing relationships with my team-mates. We get together at least 3 times a week for practice (which also involves a lot of off-skates conditioning.) If you haven’t been to a roller derby bout, you should definitely check one out. It’s the fastest growing sport in the world with leagues popping up all over Australia, Europe, Asia and the Middle East! And it’s such an empowering sport for women! I’m 41 and a mom of 3, and married for 16 years, and I can’t imagine my life without derby and my derby sisters! My derby name is General Sew and my league is Greensboro Roller Derby. Feel free to check out my roller derby board on pinterest if you get a chance! http://pinterest.com/generalsew/roller-derby/ And good luck on your quest for self improvement– I can’t wait to see what inspiring things you’ll be serving up on decor8!

• Reply decor8 January 22, 2013 at 2:58 pm

@Gina Thank you so much – I know about roller derby – there is one in my city!
      I’m not interested in racing and being part of this now though because I like
      to skate more now for relaxation and to be alone in the forest – I don’t really
      like to skate to compete these days – I think I got over that competitive nature
      that I had with sports when I was a kid. But oh my goodness, for some people I imagine
      it’s the best thing in the world! :)

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} January 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

love your roller skate photos and memories! most of my childhood memories of skates involved falling down, but it was still fun :)

• Reply Shalagh Hogan January 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

How absolutely lovely. I was a sucky skater but I am tickled to hear the details of the Holly’s skating obsession and success. The pinning of the nostalgia brings sweet goosebumps and honors the little girl. Bravo Holly!
    Love,
    Shalagh

• Reply Laura January 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I know it’s already been mentioned…but roller derby is bringing back roller skating in a BIG way! There are leagues popping up everywhere & if you haven’t had a chance to watch a bout, DO IT! If you love skating, I guarantee you will love to watch derby (or maybe even play?). Really, just about anyone can play & it is SO fun.

I’m living in Iowa these days & there are multiple rinks in Des Moines, all doing really well! Roller skating isn’t going away just yet. I think you’ll be seeing lots more of it in the near future. :)

• Reply michelle January 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Oh, my goodness, I LOVED roller skating! I can still remember my first time, with my friend Carrie and I singing and skating to Blondie! Then in fifth grade, getting to hold hands with my boyfriend in front of everybody during couples skate. Swoon! Of course it wouldn’t be a complete experience without munching on red ropes!!Oh, the memories! Oh, the feathered bangs! Good stuff!

• Reply Melinda January 22, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Ha! I was going to recommend roller derby, but it looks like a few of my fellow derby ladies beat me to it. ;)

• Reply Tricia January 23, 2013 at 1:06 am

You had me at “Darth Blader”! LOL!!! I’m still laughing…I’ve succumbed to the “blades”, too. I absolutely love this post and can so relate. I’ve been skating since I was five and much prefer the more feminine roller skates. Hey, remember the *light-up* wheels?!

• Reply anastasia January 23, 2013 at 2:32 am

I love this post!! as a little girl you would always find me roller skating everywhere! love your inspiration Holly!

• Reply Michelle January 23, 2013 at 8:46 am

Hi Holly,
    I love roller skating too, although I haven’t gone in ages! My sister and I used to have our birthday parties at the local roller skating rink when we were kids. I really wanted a pair in college so that I could get to my classes faster, but I couldn’t find a good pair then (and like you, I hate rollerblades – never learned how to use them actually). So nice to read through this post it brought back lots of memories! Thank you!

• Reply Lottie :: Oyster & Pearl January 23, 2013 at 9:23 am

I love this story! I bought some roller skates when I went to university – saw these beautiful suede ones and had just got my student loan, and I couldn’t resist. But I had nowhere to skate! So they just sat in my room on the shelf looking fabulous. THAT’S where skating meets interiors :)

• Reply Dee January 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Great images! Makes me wish I was roller skating in warm weather and not struggling over here is -20 degree weather this morning!ha!ha!

• Reply Mayli January 23, 2013 at 3:47 pm

lovely! enjoyed a lot your post…for sure roller skates are the best. :-)

• Reply Andrea Bass January 23, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Holly, I always enjoy your blog! You seem so nice and super talented! I have never commented before.But I remember my whole family was so into rollerskating, we even got to pick out our own sneakers for custom skates! I had white canvas Nikes with a pale blue swish and yellow wheels…swoon! We skated all over Phoenix,Arizona in 1979….it was so cool! Thanks for the blast from the past…I feel 16 again!

• Reply R E Molaro January 23, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Your narrative is music to my ears! A woman who came to skate for the first time in 20+ years once said, “It’s like a time machine on wheels!” She keeps coming back now! Yes … there are still maple floors in roller rinks … ours is one of the best in the region! … And the kids are still skating. The ones who come here are the greatest and they do things like a shoot-the-duck too. My advice is, tho, don’t buy those novelty skates with plastic chassis & wheels. They may be cute, but one of our regulars who got hers at a popular “sporting goods” store … was told they’re professional skates … they lasted 3 sessions! IF you have a local rink, check there first. Buy where they can fix them when something goes wrong. The department store can’t repair. Consider this a 5-Star review!

• Reply kelliesmithe | fireworks January 24, 2013 at 3:22 am

OMG! I can’t remember the last time I saw and put on my rollerskates. You are very right to say that these things remind us of what FUN time is. And they look very good to pictorials too. Love the photos! <3

• Reply Michelle January 24, 2013 at 12:43 pm

This post has soooo taken me back in time!! As a kid in the late 70s, early 80s in the UK where I´m originally from we used to go to an old airfield where one of the hangers had been turned into a fab place called ´RollerCity´ complete with wooden floors and a disco ball. And ´Fruity Blue´ Slush Puppies. They used to have ´RollerDiscos´ for under 14s and it was one of the most fun things I remember from my childhood. And the skates. Oh my god the skates. I saved all my pocket money for months to be able to get a pair of Bauer skates with red Sims wheels (don´t even know if these companies still exist it was that long ago ha ha!) and I proudly strutted those things until the death.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Holly!

x

• Reply Jo January 24, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Whee, I love this post! You’re right, there’s just more to love with quads…I had beater wheels for the beach, a fast set for the rink, and these jumbo wheels for boogie skating that made the floor feel like glass. I married a speed-skating hockey nut and had to switch to inline skates to keep up–they’re so fast but I can’t really stop in them so every excursion is a bit terrifying.

We still have a few rinks here in So CA. so when you’re out, go to Skateland in Northridge and get your valleygirl on :)

• Reply decor8 January 25, 2013 at 12:37 am

Reading your comments made me SO HAPPY that I wrote this post!!! Love it!
    We are a big all-girl roller derby – at least virtually! :) xoox

• Reply Katrin January 26, 2013 at 10:00 am

Girl, you really know how to write! I check your blog on daily basis, because it’s such an inspiration visually. But the way you shared your childhood memories – you have so much more potential. Thank you!

• Reply Tanya January 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm

LOVE this Pinterest board!
    I, too, rediscovered roller skating through the beautiful sport of roller derby. Sadly, I had to hang up my bouting skates after I was diagnosed with lupus. Now I take my boys for an afternoon of skating at hardwood floor rink near us and there just is nothing like it.
    Your post made me a bit nostalgic, thank you!

• Reply Trish January 30, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This is in particular what I love about your blogging style. YOU make it FUN, Inspirational & Personal. I’m practicing my blog hugging here.

I’ve been wanting to get back to actually read this post as I know we’d have been friends back in the day of the old skating rink. Wham! Oh My! ;) Anyway, I’m lucky to have a great rink right here in our little town & my boys (9 & 6) are loving it too! My hubby even goes! Although I was rubbish at the limbo…I was fast…..and the Hokey Pokey??? Honey, PLEASE!!! Ha ha ha!!!

SO, I hope you know how much I loved those Pins this past week when I was under the weather…and just in case you were wondering: I am still craving to lose 20 pounds, wear scanty clothes & a head dress while eating ice cream with lit sparklers trailing heart shaped bokeh….and it’s all your fault. Oh how I love you for it!

Cheers, and thanks for brightening my days with your blog!
    T.

• Reply Marina Klima February 11, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Back in the day, I use to own roller skates like this and looking at the images with girls in roller skates takes me back to memory lane. Even now, I still love roller skating even for my age. lol

Anyway, I’m new to Pinterest and really have no idea yet on how to improve it. Yours looks awesome.

• Reply Nicole March 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm

When I came across your site and reading your post I thought there needs to be more people like you promoting skating. Your post is awesome. I have always loved roller skating. Now that I am a part of the business it is so cool to create all the different colors and styles available and bring them to people like you.
    Keep spreading the word.
    Skate The Way You Live!
    Skate Out Loud

• Reply Darlene Rutledge April 3, 2013 at 5:16 pm

@Iwona:

• Reply Darlene Rutledge April 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Love Your Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just started roller skating again…….I love it…….I hope they come back……I am going to be forty and wanted to get in shape but hate going to the gym….I am so happy I found my passion and it does not even feel like I am exercising…..Roller skating to me feels magical!!!!!I wish and want to motivate everyone to start roller skating…..I am feeling so good as well from the inside out…..It is a heavenly experience!!!!!Start skating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is never to late!!!!!!Oh and don’t forget to listen to your music……..Even more of an Epic experience………….Roller skating has even made me dream again big……Even at forty….xoxo

• Reply Shauna Grammatico - EPIC Rollertainment July 18, 2013 at 7:38 am

@Shauna Grammatico: Hello again Holly! I just wanted to provide you with a little update from one skate fanatic to another…..I am FINALLY opening my very own roller rink! It is exactly what you were talking about earlier this year……it is going to be extremely cool and very modern. It is unlike any roller rink anyone has ever seen before! If you ever get a chance to visit Murrieta, California, USA you should check us out for sure. I just know you will love it. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks again for the post. Reading it when I did was a life saver. It took a lot for my husband and I to get to where we are today after our partners had to back out and I thought you should know that you played a part in getting us there…….even if it was a very small one..LOL. If you have time, check us out on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/epicsk8

Also, just out of curiosity how many people wanted to see roller rinks return?? I would really love to know. Thanks.