DIY: Catalog To Wall

We always find it interesting to learn about how others gather inspiration – is it always from the usual places or, if we peer a bit beneath the surface, will a whole new world of ideas unfold? I think that is the case most of the time. Inspiration comes in corners and alleys, in many shapes and sizes and often hidden upon first glance though once found, you wonder how others don’t also see it? I wonder if you know what I mean?

Catalog DIY Project

Take for instance, catalogs. Lots of us get them and are often inspired by the color palettes and patterns found in clothing. It could also be the obvious location, like an Italian square around a fountain or in an English garden. In fashion, surroundings and backgrounds can be blurred or barely noticed simply because the focus is on the clothing. It is in these shots that I’d like for you to pay careful attention. Go beyond the obvious and consider what you could extract from an inspiration standpoint.

I recently tried this exercise with my new copy of the Boden catalog, a fashion brand that is colorful, happy and feminine. In some ways though, it was cheating because the location for the shoot (at least most of the indoor shots) was in the home of my friend, London-based photographer Debi Treloar. In fact, I recognized it in their video right away shown on their home page – at least that is where it was last week. When the catalog arrived today, I dug in quickly to check it out – I’ve been to Debi’s a few times so I wanted to play a game of spot Debi’s cool house. Like all good fashion catalogs, the eye should immediately fall upon the fashion upon opening it – and a good fashion photographer will make that happen – yet try to look at the surroundings a wee bit to take away some decorating inspiration. You can do this in any catalog – especially those shot indoors – cafes, homes, shops, etc. Here are 5 decorating ideas that I picked up on immediately from Boden, via Debi’s home.

Catalog DIY Project

Catalog DIY Project

Catalog DIY Project

Catalog DIY Project

Catalog DIY Project

Another fun exercise is, after you’ve shopped of course, to take the catalog apart at the seams (carefully) and display pages on your wall using washi tape and other elements you’d like to stick nearby for inspiration – a little hunt & gather. In the process, you may even find a pretty dress to order for Spring (oops!).

Catalog DIY Project

Catalog DIY Project

Now, what to do with the big mess on your table? Why not arrange everything on your wall in 10 minutes with washi tape? In fact, I thought to combine idea #1 and #2 above and use vintage wallpaper, maps and others misc. papers with pages from the catalog and look — now there is something fresh nearby my desk to inspire me until I’m ready for something new.

Catalog DIY Project

I’m loving fresh green right now combined with mint, hot pink, yellow and turquoise so this is the palette I went with. Not only did a simple (free) Boden catalog give me 5 good decorating ideas, also for free, but it gave me images to arrange on the wall, free again, with things I already had laying around and viola! something pretty for my workroom without spending a dime. Okay, the dime was spent on a dress but still… (smile).

What do you think?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in diy on January 31, 2013

1. Valentina commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 3:41pm

so lovely! Great Holly!
    Valentina´s last blog post ..BlogLove ♡ By Fryd

2. Bohème Circus commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 3:59pm

I love letting wander my look at the backgrounds in the pages of magazines like you, but I also like to study the props and the decorators choice in movies. I like a lot when a film have a true aesthetic project. The choice of colors and objects of decoration are also a part of the story and the emotions of the characters. And I think that in life, for the decoration of our homes, it’s also a way to talk about emotions. The decor is like a perfume wafting through the air, it creates emotions.
    For my part, when I create associations of colors I think I try to translate emotions.
    Bohème Circus´s last blog post ..The happy mail project

3. Joanna commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 4:03pm

4. Jutta von Kreativfieber commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 4:04pm

Looks great!
    Jutta von Kreativfieber´s last blog post ..Fundstück: Eigene Fonts erstellen

5. aga commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 4:16pm

Thank you very much for sharing this post with us!!!!!

6. Lace and roll blog de moda commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 4:30pm

LOVELY! kisses!
    Lace and roll blog de moda´s last blog post ..De compras: Vogue + Nylon

7. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 5:19pm

looks great holly! i loved this as soon as i saw you post the video clip of it on vine. perfect inspiration board.
    Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Roma

8. Chloe Moon commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 5:25pm

I just love making mood boards from catalogs and magazines!! I need to get some washi tape because that looks too cute!! =)

Btw I won your book from a giveaway from the blog This is Glamorous! I just love it! I won the Decor8 book and the workshop book! It is such a great read I can’t wait to read more! Thank you!
    Chloe Moon´s last blog post ..My "Normal" Day…

9. Lauren commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 5:49pm

I just requested my own copy of Boden- I love beautiful catalogues! One of my current favorites is Garnet Hill, as they always seem to be shooting on location in some lovely country I”ve never been to. I made a long bulletin board to go right above my work station to pin all the pages I’ve torn out: http://plumfieldshop.blogspot.com/2012/11/new-office-details.html
    Lauren´s last blog post ..learning

10. Juliette commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 5:57pm

Fun fun! Catalogs really can have fantastic photos. I love the green w/the lime. We have a bit of that in our bedroom and I love it.
    Juliette´s last blog post ..The Irony and the Ecstasy

11. Sammy commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 6:39pm

Super cute! I usually make inspiration binders with all of my magazines and catalogs.. but next time I might have to make a mood board that I can hang up like this
    Sammy´s last blog post ..Mixtape: winter roadtrip edition

12. R. Joyce commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 9:25pm

I think this is an amazing exercise. I am going to do this in the near future. I am always pinning ideas on my message board.
    R. Joyce´s last blog post ..My Weekly Obsessions

13. eeske // little box of tricks commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 10:31pm

the flip*flop catalogue would also be really great for this! its made from beautiful paper and shows great colour combinations.
    eeske // little box of tricks´s last blog post ..Rezept: Die einfachste Apfeltarte der Welt

14. Marina commented
    February 1st, 2013 at 12:18am

Thanks for this inspiring post – great idea. I love the pink and white fabric in the top photo. I wonder if you could share the name/sources?

Marina :)

15. Amberly commented
    February 1st, 2013 at 5:33am

Your posts are just too good. Such a simple concept but you really have to slow down to recognize it and DO it. I am loving that shelf with all of the turquoise vases (and I am thinking I need to figure out a way to find Boden in my mailbox)!
    Amberly´s last blog post ..In Love With The Woodsman

16. Sharon commented
    February 1st, 2013 at 6:49am

So fun. Looks like your walls have some texture. Do you find it hard to use washi tape on them and have the tape stay stuck? I can”t get the tape to stay on my similarly textured walls. :-(. Any advice would be most welcome.

17. Desha Peacock commented
    February 1st, 2013 at 2:38pm

Yeah for Debi Treloar and Boden- my daughter has a dark purple velvet coat from there with red polka dots – you can’t help but be happy seeing her in it.
    Desha Peacock´s last blog post ..One Thousand Love Letters

18. Cyd commented
    February 1st, 2013 at 3:08pm

This is beautiful, Holly!
    Cyd´s last blog post ..Valentines Day Goodies from The TomKat Studio

19. Margarida commented
    February 1st, 2013 at 11:10pm

What a nice wall!
    The colours, the styling :-) and whenever you wish you can change it without too much regret, right?
    Margarida´s last blog post ..Pano pra Mangas featured in Making Magazine

20. Dawn@joyfulscribblings commented
    February 2nd, 2013 at 5:50pm

I love this! I have the same Boden catalog. Now I will look at it with new eyes.
    Dawn@joyfulscribblings´s last blog post ..Simple Joys

21. Hamlet commented
    February 2nd, 2013 at 9:32pm

Just Pinned Some Pictures from here. Again Thanks :)
    Hamlet´s last blog post ..Tips for Improving Your Kitchen for Less

22. fenny setiawan commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 9:49am

Love them Holly. You are the queen of collage and mood board making.