Color Crush: Feeling Moody

I hope that you enjoyed my previous post about color with 3 color study exercises – please try at least one of them to see what you discover about yourself  -it’s fun and we need more FUN in life because it fuels our creative side. I thought I’d practice what I preach and apply one of my own tips so I selected the first tip, to spot themes which is exactly what I did this morning after a pinning session over on Pinterest. Here is a very moody color palette that emerged: Indigo, gray, pale pink, peach, mint… Pretty yet also moody and winter-y.

Color Crush: Feeling Moody ( photos above: all things comfy, naturally ella, mrs french, thriving twenties.)

What does this palette reveal to me? It’s the dead of winter where I live and I mean DEAD. Everything is gray outside. It’s freezing. There is nothing to look forward to (no fairs, no flea markets, nothing to do outdoors). It’s a bit of a depressing time of year BUT I’m not hopeless, in fact, I’m using this period as a bit of a rest period so that I can gather my ideas and energy so that once March arrives, then April, May, and so on, I can put all of this stored energy into practice and go out and do lots of fun things.

Color Crush: Feeling Moody(illustration from the ammiki shop on easy)

Color Crush: Feeling Moody(from welke)

Color Crush: Feeling Moody(illustrator marika maijala, whole living magazine, pillow from Bright July shop on etsy, skona hem magazine)

Color Crush: Feeling Moody (illustration by My Lovely Thing, Mod Cloth thumbtack DIY, Butterfly photo books)

This palette also represents a changing of seasons as very soon, we’ll be facing Spring yet this is the overall energy in the air today. It’s a time of candles, conversations over tea, indulging in comfort food (like porridge, soup, fresh bread) and big, cozy sweaters.

By the way, be sure to click on lots of the links above where these images came from because they are sure to inspire you – loads of great sites, blogs and stores to visit!

What is your current color crush?

(images: linked below each grouping/photo)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration on February 04, 2013

1. leela commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 3:20pm

love this cool, wintry palette so much – it is subtle but happy!

2. hannah commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 3:37pm

i hadn’t really been into the neon trend, but it’s definitely starting to grow on me. maybe because spring is coming? but i’ve started to appreciate those pops of color a lot more.

i love how the first photo grouping in this post has tones of periwinkle…my great aunt’s favorite color. family lore has it that she even had a periwinkle oven. thanks for sharing!
    hannah´s last blog post ..a reader survey

3. Ilze commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 3:53pm

Definitely no doubt what is my color crush at the moment…..!!!
    .http://www.auburnblue.com/2013/01/hot-pink-happiness/

I guess it means that I am alive at the moment, ready to take on the world again, feeling brave and bold, vibrant and playful !

Love the combination above.
    Ilze´s last blog post ..Hot Pink Happiness

4. Sonishka commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 4:32pm

Love this color collection and the set of items. thank you for sharing .-) now I wish I wasnt at work but could do smth diy haha

5. Rebecca commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 8:24pm

We have a color crush on ALL of these! They’re so fun to try. Thanks for sharing!
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..Lovely Heart Surprise Cakes for Valentine’s Day

6. Michelle commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 8:37pm

Hi Holly,
    I’m definitely feeling this moody winter palette. It’s cold and dead where I am too (Montreal), although thankfully the sun has been setting a little later each day. I am grateful for that! Here’s to a restorative winter!

7. Amanda commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 9:49pm

Definitely feeling those moody winter blues around here! But these color palettes are oh so chic and happy! Lovin’ the soft blues & peach combo!
    Amanda´s last blog post ..Hanging Around

8. Silkie commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 10:15pm

At the moment it’s a good bright foresty green,yellow & turquoise, always with a teeny bit of black.. It was some cushions a friend made that set me off on that stream..my colour crushes seem to last a few months and then something will trigger a change. The interaction of colours gives me endless pleasure! As a designer I have to stop myself being greedy and remind myself less is more. I found a ridiculously fun Pantone app the other day, you can take photo’s of a colour and it will find you the Pantone ref, have you seen this one? I think you’d like it!
    Silkie´s last blog post ..A few of my favourites at Top Drawer 2013

9. Lelanie Slater commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 8:28am

I loved your images Holly. Here in South-Africa it has been hot and sunny. We are in our mid-summer- a scorching time of the year, But reading your wintry post has made me nostalgic for Winter and all it’s homey joys.

My colour crush is grey. We moved into our own home a few months ago, and I painted the whole interior in a light, stone grey. (Your book, Decorate, was a big inspiration in choosing my paint colour.)

I love pairing light and charcoal grey with soft linen colours and touches of soft blue and ferny greens.

To make up for that sombre palette, my studio is crisp white with indigo blue ikats and different shades of pink. Just tp spice things up a bit. ;)
    Lelanie Slater´s last blog post ..Aran Goyoaga

10. Karen commented
    February 21st, 2013 at 5:44pm

I’ve genuinely enjoyed both posts and I’m really eager to create some mood boards of my own. Thank you :)