Color Me Pretty: Yonagadou Inspired

Hello friends, it is Leslie here for a new edition of Color Me Pretty. This time around I am playing with a palette of sky blue, bright yellow, peach, a little green and a tiny bit of orange.

Color Me Pretty

I recently ordered some wonderful Japanese papers from one of my favorite online shops Uguisu. I got really inspired by the bright palette used by artist Yonagadou in a paper design and thought it was a great place to start this series.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

I painted several patterns using this palette and then hung them on the wall in my studio to help brighten things up. It is a very dark time of the year here on Vancouver Island and I particularly enjoyed using the bright sunny yellow. Of course tulips and paper whites are in all the supermarkets right now and they can really brighten up a corner of your home.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

I used a sweet little hanging vase set that I purchased last year from Terrain to hold some tulips and greens on my wall.

I was recently asked to participate in a mail art project with some online friends. I was thrilled as I thought it would be a different and inspiring way to connect with paper loving folks. These kinds of connections make being a part of this online community so special for me.

Color Me Pretty

We are all busy in our lives and it can be difficult to find individuals who may just squeal with glee over a stamped paper like myself! Needless to say I have been making envelopes and collecting special piles of papers to send out each month. I love my envelope template as I can turn any piece of paper into one in a few seconds!

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

The winter has been a great time to be busy with creative projects. I look forward to sharing more with you here next month! See you soon. xo, Leslie

To see previous editions of Color Me Pretty, click here or visit Leslie’s beautiful blog at A Creative Mint.

(images & styling: Leslie Shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Me Pretty on February 04, 2013

1. Marjory commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 4:28pm

So much care and love here.. Love the inspiration of the yellow tulips, the papers from Uguisu, and your delicate patterns brightening up the space! Thank you.
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Feeling the sun in my heart

2. ishtar commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 5:13pm

oh my! Leslie´s done it again!in one word: breathtaking!
    ishtar´s last blog post ..Inspiration Monday ♥

3. BohèmeCircus commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 5:13pm

These colors are wonderful, Japanese papers are a great source of inspiration and I love to see your testing colors and patterns. Everything is so beautiful and inspiring. You blow an air of spring in the heart of the cold and of the winter… Your colors bring oxygen, a bubble of happiness and freshness.
    Like you, I am happy to participate in this exchange of letters project, it gives me the opportunity to share my love of papers and discover wonderful creatives and artists with different talents.

4. Lela commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 5:43pm

I always adore your watercolor pictures. I’d frame them and hang them up everywhere :-)
    Lela´s last blog post ..Taped it: Birthday cards

5. Sue commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 6:17pm

I love the bright sunny yellow – so cheerful, it makes me smile :)

6. Gumshoe commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 6:30pm

What a lovely palette! I love the enveloped you made. Snail mail is such a delight and your envelopes would definitely brighten anyones day!

7. Carlton Hobbs commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 8:22pm

Beautifully presented and photographed. And what lovely color combinations…thoroughly refreshing!
    Carlton Hobbs´s last blog post ..Mirror, mirror…on the chair?

8. Anette@lebenslustiger commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 8:38pm

“Color Me Pretty” is always such a joy to see and read – thanks so much for this series ? anette
    Anette@lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Shine Brightly…

9. Helen commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 8:46pm

Gorgeous patterns, such fresh Spring colors, a great post to brighten the gray day outside my window.. Loving the tulips too…my favourite!

10. Curious Clare commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 9:08pm

Love the colour palette, a splash of optimistic colours on a dreary day!

11. Bobbi commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 10:19pm

It’s always so interesting to me to see how others take inspiration and then process it into something of their own. This is all beautiful and inspiring!
    Bobbi´s last blog post ..Magazine Cure

12. Gretchen commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 11:25pm

Beautiful post Leslie. Love the watercolors that you created. You are such a talented lady. :)
    Gretchen´s last blog post ..Camera Strap Cover Sewing Tutorial

13. meg commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 12:03am

Hi Leslie – so enjoyed reading this today. It’s a gray old day here also, and it’s supposed to be summer!

Just wondering where you bought your envelope maker/template thingy that you mentioned?

regards, Meg

14. hiki @ UGUiSU commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 3:41am

So happy to see the lovely Yonagadou items from UGUiSU used in such a beautiful way…. Thank you!!!!
    hiki @ UGUiSU´s last blog post ..Pattern Book by Yonagadou : Sweet & Nostalgic Modern Patterns of Japan (Will be shiped around 15 Feb 2013)

15. Tracy commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 4:37am

This post makes me so happy and gives me hope spring is on the way. Love how you used the bright yellow tape to put your wonderful watercolor paintings on the wall. Happy, happy!
    Tracy´s last blog post ..Welcome Sign For Dog Homes in Classic Style by MakingHappy

16. Laura Gaskill commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 4:56am

I adore this color palette, Leslie! It’s so cheerful. I’ve been looking for some fun new patterned papers to incorporate into a collage project I’ve been working on, so I’m happy to hear about a good source. :) Winter does seem like a great time for creating…I’ve finally picked up my paintbrushes and materials for the first time in AGES this winter, and it feels so good. Thank you for the inspiration, as always. xo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Saturday Crafternoon Link Party 02.02.13

17. kristin johnsen commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 5:21am

Lovely, as always, Leslie….I’m so envious of your creativity and how you use your watercolors in your pretty painted papers! Always love Color me Pretty columns! Thanks so much for your ideas
    kristin johnsen´s last blog post ..The experiment’s complete – I just wish I knew what I learned from it!

18. fenny setiawan commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 5:56am

It certainly brighten up my day, Leslie :). I also wish you will update more frequent on your blog. Missing them….

19. Leslie commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 6:30am

Oooh this is a REALLY wonderful post today! I needed a little pick me up and this has done just the trick.

Lovely work as always Leslie Shewring.

20. Holly (Love,Thomas) commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 7:13am

As always, beautiful work, Leslie. Spotted the first snowdrops in the park yesterday and was really feeling like Spring is finally on it’s way. This post definitely helps! Thank you, Holly
    Holly (Love,Thomas)´s last blog post ..Colour Crush: Neon Bright

21. Lelanie Slater commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 8:18am

Hi Leslie,

I really loved this instalment of Colour me pretty. I adore your envelopes. They are stunning. And I would definitely squeal with glee if I were to receive one of those in the post. ;) Would you mind sharing a bit more about you online mail art project? It sounds so interesting.
    Lelanie Slater´s last blog post ..Aran Goyoaga

22. l o v e l y t h i n g s commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 2:13pm

I adore these colors and patterns…and on white painted brick….and love those envelopes….as a person who shares your delight on getting a stamped letter in the mail, a piece of mail that arrived like this would take that to a whole new level of happy!
    l o v e l y t h i n g s´s last blog post ..letter love

23. lisa commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 5:54pm

You drive me crazy with all this! I’m sitting in my office and can’t work anylonger now! I wanna paint me tooooo!!!
    Much love
    Lisa xoxo

24. Tracey Fisher commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 6:14pm

I love this colour combo – so fresh and lively. I hope you can share some more of your studio in the future.
    ps. it is dark here in Toronto too !

25. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 5th, 2013 at 11:16pm

Just SO gorgeous and inspired, Leslie! I LOVE those bright peaches! Love the pieces you did too….I would love those on my wall. I am so into the peaches these days……
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap & Chic

26. Diane commented
    February 6th, 2013 at 2:32am

I love your post Leslie, it made me happy and brightened up my day! Thanks!

27. Aubrey commented
    February 6th, 2013 at 9:52am

Beautiful colours!

28. Angel M. Giovinazzo commented
    February 7th, 2013 at 8:26pm

Leslie, I love the beautiful colors and flowers in your layout. Wonderful inspiration for this very cold, barren time of year. I love looking at all your work. Hope we meet again, Angel

29. Cara commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 7:51pm

The yellow throughout is spectacular! I am definitely ready for spring after pouring over these images. Thank you Leslie!

30. R. Joyce commented
    February 18th, 2013 at 8:24pm

I absolutely love this color palette.
    R. Joyce´s last blog post ..Closet Home Office: The Big Reveal

31. Carla (Color Heals Me) commented
    November 11th, 2013 at 3:09am

Hi, I keep checking back here hoping there will be another “color me pretty” post. I just love these. Hoping everything is ok with Leslie
    Carla (Color Heals Me)´s last blog post ..A Glimpse into my heArt

32. decor8 commented
    November 11th, 2013 at 9:44pm

@Carla – Leslie is not doing Color Me Pretty anymore on decor8 – her column expired and we didn’t renew since she is working on other projects, including the book that she and I just finished due out in the Spring. If you loved Color Me Pretty, you’ll LOVE Decorate With Flowers! Look for it on Amazon!