Color Inspiration

February 4, 2013

Hello friends, it is Leslie here for a new edition of Color Me Pretty. This time around I am playing with a palette of sky blue, bright yellow, peach, a little green and a tiny bit of orange.

Yonagadou Inspired Color + Pattern

I recently ordered some wonderful Japanese papers from one of my favorite online shops Uguisu. I got really inspired by the bright palette used by artist Yonagadou in a paper design and thought it was a great place to start this series.

Yonagadou Inspired Color + Pattern

I painted several patterns using this palette and then hung them on the wall in my studio to help brighten things up. It is a very dark time of the year here on Vancouver Island and I particularly enjoyed using the bright sunny yellow. Of course tulips and paper whites are in all the supermarkets right now and they can really brighten up a corner of your home.

Yonagadou Inspired Color + Pattern

I used a sweet little hanging vase set that I purchased last year from Terrain to hold some tulips and greens on my wall.

I was recently asked to participate in a mail art project with some online friends. I was thrilled as I thought it would be a different and inspiring way to connect with paper loving folks. These kinds of connections make being a part of this online community so special for me.

Yonagadou Inspired Color + Pattern

We are all busy in our lives and it can be difficult to find individuals who may just squeal with glee over a stamped paper like myself! Needless to say I have been making envelopes and collecting special piles of papers to send out each month. I love my envelope template as I can turn any piece of paper into one in a few seconds!

Yonagadou Inspired Color + Pattern

The winter has been a great time to be busy with creative projects. I look forward to sharing more with you here next month! See you soon. xo, Leslie

To see previous editions of Color Me Pretty, click here or visit Leslie’s beautiful blog at A Creative Mint.

(images & styling: Leslie Shewring)

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

• Reply Marjory February 4, 2013 at 4:28 pm

So much care and love here.. Love the inspiration of the yellow tulips, the papers from Uguisu, and your delicate patterns brightening up the space! Thank you.

• Reply ishtar February 4, 2013 at 5:13 pm

oh my! Leslie´s done it again!in one word: breathtaking!

• Reply BohèmeCircus February 4, 2013 at 5:13 pm

These colors are wonderful, Japanese papers are a great source of inspiration and I love to see your testing colors and patterns. Everything is so beautiful and inspiring. You blow an air of spring in the heart of the cold and of the winter… Your colors bring oxygen, a bubble of happiness and freshness.
    Like you, I am happy to participate in this exchange of letters project, it gives me the opportunity to share my love of papers and discover wonderful creatives and artists with different talents.

• Reply Lela February 4, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I always adore your watercolor pictures. I’d frame them and hang them up everywhere :-)

• Reply Sue February 4, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I love the bright sunny yellow – so cheerful, it makes me smile :)

• Reply Gumshoe February 4, 2013 at 6:30 pm

What a lovely palette! I love the enveloped you made. Snail mail is such a delight and your envelopes would definitely brighten anyones day!

• Reply Carlton Hobbs February 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Beautifully presented and photographed. And what lovely color combinations…thoroughly refreshing!

• Reply Anette@lebenslustiger February 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm

“Color Me Pretty” is always such a joy to see and read – thanks so much for this series ? anette

• Reply Helen February 4, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Gorgeous patterns, such fresh Spring colors, a great post to brighten the gray day outside my window.. Loving the tulips too…my favourite!

• Reply Curious Clare February 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Love the colour palette, a splash of optimistic colours on a dreary day!

• Reply Bobbi February 4, 2013 at 10:19 pm

It’s always so interesting to me to see how others take inspiration and then process it into something of their own. This is all beautiful and inspiring!

• Reply Gretchen February 4, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Beautiful post Leslie. Love the watercolors that you created. You are such a talented lady. :)

• Reply meg February 5, 2013 at 12:03 am

Hi Leslie – so enjoyed reading this today. It’s a gray old day here also, and it’s supposed to be summer!

Just wondering where you bought your envelope maker/template thingy that you mentioned?

regards, Meg

• Reply hiki @ UGUiSU February 5, 2013 at 3:41 am

So happy to see the lovely Yonagadou items from UGUiSU used in such a beautiful way…. Thank you!!!!

• Reply Tracy February 5, 2013 at 4:37 am

This post makes me so happy and gives me hope spring is on the way. Love how you used the bright yellow tape to put your wonderful watercolor paintings on the wall. Happy, happy!

• Reply Laura Gaskill February 5, 2013 at 4:56 am

I adore this color palette, Leslie! It’s so cheerful. I’ve been looking for some fun new patterned papers to incorporate into a collage project I’ve been working on, so I’m happy to hear about a good source. :) Winter does seem like a great time for creating…I’ve finally picked up my paintbrushes and materials for the first time in AGES this winter, and it feels so good. Thank you for the inspiration, as always. xo Laura

• Reply kristin johnsen February 5, 2013 at 5:21 am

Lovely, as always, Leslie….I’m so envious of your creativity and how you use your watercolors in your pretty painted papers! Always love Color me Pretty columns! Thanks so much for your ideas

• Reply fenny setiawan February 5, 2013 at 5:56 am

It certainly brighten up my day, Leslie :). I also wish you will update more frequent on your blog. Missing them….

• Reply Leslie February 5, 2013 at 6:30 am

Oooh this is a REALLY wonderful post today! I needed a little pick me up and this has done just the trick.

Lovely work as always Leslie Shewring.

• Reply Holly (Love,Thomas) February 5, 2013 at 7:13 am

As always, beautiful work, Leslie. Spotted the first snowdrops in the park yesterday and was really feeling like Spring is finally on it’s way. This post definitely helps! Thank you, Holly

• Reply Lelanie Slater February 5, 2013 at 8:18 am

Hi Leslie,

I really loved this instalment of Colour me pretty. I adore your envelopes. They are stunning. And I would definitely squeal with glee if I were to receive one of those in the post. ;) Would you mind sharing a bit more about you online mail art project? It sounds so interesting.

• Reply l o v e l y t h i n g s February 5, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I adore these colors and patterns…and on white painted brick….and love those envelopes….as a person who shares your delight on getting a stamped letter in the mail, a piece of mail that arrived like this would take that to a whole new level of happy!

• Reply lisa February 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

You drive me crazy with all this! I’m sitting in my office and can’t work anylonger now! I wanna paint me tooooo!!!
    Much love
    Lisa xoxo

• Reply Tracey Fisher February 5, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I love this colour combo – so fresh and lively. I hope you can share some more of your studio in the future.
    ps. it is dark here in Toronto too !

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Just SO gorgeous and inspired, Leslie! I LOVE those bright peaches! Love the pieces you did too….I would love those on my wall. I am so into the peaches these days……
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Diane February 6, 2013 at 2:32 am

I love your post Leslie, it made me happy and brightened up my day! Thanks!

• Reply Aubrey February 6, 2013 at 9:52 am

Beautiful colours!

• Reply Angel M. Giovinazzo February 7, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Leslie, I love the beautiful colors and flowers in your layout. Wonderful inspiration for this very cold, barren time of year. I love looking at all your work. Hope we meet again, Angel

• Reply Cara February 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm

The yellow throughout is spectacular! I am definitely ready for spring after pouring over these images. Thank you Leslie!

• Reply R. Joyce February 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I absolutely love this color palette.

• Reply Carla (Color Heals Me) November 11, 2013 at 3:09 am

Hi, I keep checking back here hoping there will be another “color me pretty” post. I just love these. Hoping everything is ok with Leslie

• Reply decor8 November 11, 2013 at 9:44 pm

@Carla – Leslie is not doing Color Me Pretty anymore on decor8 – her column expired and we didn’t renew since she is working on other projects, including the book that she and I just finished due out in the Spring. If you loved Color Me Pretty, you’ll LOVE Decorate With Flowers! Look for it on Amazon!