Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

As a blogger who is out a lot playing around with my camera and meeting up with people, I’m asked frequently about my loot – what’s in MY bag? In this post I’ll share a list of what I think is some pretty great gear for bloggers that I use – and everything is quite affordable (my camera is well under $1,000 which, in DSLR terms, isn’t high end but still does a beautiful job). What works for me may not work for you but I really LOVE my Canon 600D and the 4 lens that I have (one is a kit lens, the other 3 I purchased). I also like my other goodies, like my camera strap and my cute camera bag that just arrived today.

Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

Here is a list of my loot:

Camera: Canon 600D with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens by Canon that came with it. This camera is great because it not only takes amazing photos but it has full HD movie mode – my latest obsession! Camera details/price can be found here: Amazon.de/Amazon.co.uk/Amazon.com

Lens: Canon EF-S 18-200mm 1:3,5-5,6 IS (Amazon.de/Amazon.co.uk/Amazon.com), Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 (Amazon.de/Amazon.co.uk/Amazon.com) Note: I want to upgrade this lens soon though to the Canon EF 50mm/1,4. And the latest lens I’ve picked up is the Canon EF 35mm 1:2,0 (Amazon.de/Amazon.co.uk/Amazon.com)

Tripod: I use a Manfroto #222 joystick head on top of a standard tripod that my husband bought on eBay awhile ago. If you’re in the market for a tripod, Manfrotto is a really good one to try and they are super sturdy though not so lightweight – I only use this one for shooting at home. I haven’t gotten to the point yet to where I’m bringing tripods on the road with me… Ha! Baby steps, here.

Phone/Apps: I also want to add that I frequently use my iPhone 4 to take photos (Instagram addict) and I really like the KitCam app though I find myself using the Camera+ app most of the time. I’m also taking videos frequently with the Vine app and having a lot of fun with it!

iPad: I use my iPad constantly. More than my MacBook Pro even. It’s the best thing ever and the funny thing is, it took me 6 months after I purchased it to even get into using it. One great thing you can do with an iPad that is pretty cool for photographers is that you can pop an Eye-Fi card into your camera and transfer pictures wirelessly to your iPad while you’re shooting (as in instantly!) using the ShutterSnitch app. My husband and I shot about 30 photos for my last book like this and it worked like a charm when it came to styling and really helps you to pick up the pace on shoots, too.

Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

Camera bag: Ketti Chevron cloth camera bag. Note: Mine arrived with a dark purple lining that I really don’t like (it’s hard to see inside because it’s very dark) – the website says green lining (with photos showing it so I know I’m not crazy)- so I insist when you purchase a bag from them you make sure they get your order right. Other than the purple interior, the bag will work great for me – I love that it’s padded and has adjustable slots for the lens, the camera, etc. inside – yet it looks like a very “normal” handbag. I got so tired of running around in my ugly black (very standard, very boring) camera bag!

Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

Camera strap: Stardust camera strap from Bloom Theory in silver.

iPhone case: Le Pavillion iPhone case by Kate Spade and this silly pink cat from Accessorize. Don’t laugh. Okay, laugh.

So! That’s what I use when I’m out shooting and having fun. Hope some of these tips help you out! A few of the Amazon.com links above are affiliate links by the way, which means I earn about 6% if you buy something on the US Amazon site. All of the other links are not affiliate-related at all. No one has paid me or given me products, discounts or any freebies for mentioning any of the above items. I paid for absolutely everything at the same retail price as everyone else. :)

If you have any questions or want to share what you use, please do in the comments section below! What’s in YOUR bag?

Happy Friday everyone – loads of love to you!

(images: holly becker, thorsten becker and bloom theory)

Posted by decor8 in blogs, uncategorized on February 08, 2013

1. Rebecca Jeavons commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 3:50pm

This is great
    will be looking at some add ons for my camera.. can’t always have a pro with you and hate to miss some opportunities

2. Lauren commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 4:17pm

I have a Nikon D5100 and I love it. We have three lenses right now- an 18-55mm, a 55-200mm, and a 35mm. I love the 35 and use it most of the time. I really want to make a new camera strap and am thinking I might do something with leather, since my husband and I both use it. He may not apprciate sequins ;)
    Lauren´s last blog post ..the loot

3. Amanda commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 4:51pm

Ah, I’ve been eyeing the Bloom Theory straps for months… But always forget it during the lead up to gift giving occasions. Must remember for the future!
    Amanda´s last blog post ..A Painting for Valentine’s Day

4. tinajo commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 5:26pm

Thanks for sharing, it´s always fun to see what others use! I have a Canin 7D myself and LOVE it! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Sick rascal and Sweet baked brie

5. Eva commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 5:30pm

Hi Holly,
    maybe this current event on German food blogs might be interesting as well where bloggers wrote about their camera gear: http://kochtopf.twoday.net/stories/food-o-grafie-ist-zurueck-1-kamera-ausruestung/

In the comment section you will find the links to the different posts and here is also my camera post. http://www.food-vegetarisch.de/2013/01/foodfotografie-kamera-ausruestung/ – Hope it is ok, that I added these links. Otherwise just delete them, no problem :)
    Best wishes and have a lovely weekend, Eva

6. bea commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 5:37pm

i upgraded from the canon 50mm/1.8 lens to the 50mm/1.4 and it is the best thing i’ve done in YEARS. almost, at least. i just love the 1.4 lens, even more than i loved the 1.8. the quality is a lot better and the depth of field is to die for. maybe in the future i can afford the 1.2 lens. that would be a dream come true, for sure.

my point is: upgrade! you won’t regret it for a second. :)

7. Chris commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 6:07pm

Thank you so much for posting this! It’s exactly the kind of info I needed right now. I’ve been toying around the with the idea of upgrading from my Nikon Coolpix to a DSLR but don’t want to break the bank. Thanks!

8. Laura Gaskill commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 6:20pm

Woohoo! This was just the inspiration I needed and didn’t even know it. :) I’ve been attempting to practice my photography more in the hopes of boosting my skills and sharing more of my original work on my blog…plus I just got an ipad as a gift this Christmas, so I’m SUPER excited to hear of a new way to use it along with my camera.

And oh my goodness, your camera strap is the BEST – I loved it as soon as I saw it on one of your pinterest boards! :) xo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..The Language of Flowers + Printable Download

9. Elizabeth commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 6:33pm

I have the Canon 60D along with the lens kit and I love it! Love that strap too! Funny that the website said the bag came with green lining. :)

10. Colleen commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 6:41pm

I definitely have that same camera strap that came as a gift from my sister! I love it! It does get stuck in my hair sometimes though.. Great roundup!
    Colleen´s last blog post ..For the Love of Friday- Embracing Quiet

11. Juliette commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 7:16pm

I love your bag! I’m getting a Canon DSLR and the 50mm1.4 lens in May and CAN NOT wait! I wish I could fast forward to May!! Your post made me excited about it all over again, lol. I started blogging w/just my phone camera and then finally got a digital point-and-shoot and I am so so ready to take my photos to the next level.
    Juliette´s last blog post ..Thrifting Abroad: Sun Spot

12. Casey commented
    February 8th, 2013 at 7:39pm

I just bought my first lens, aside from the one that came with my camera that I bought a year ago. It’s the 50mm f/1.8 and I’ve been having so much fun playing with it. I’ve been taking product shots for 5 years now for my Etsy shop and my photography sure has come a long way! I’m definitely still working on it, though. :) The next thing I have to get is a new strap. That black CANON one isn’t too cute. Love the sequin one! Thanks for sharing tools!
    Casey´s last blog post ..Keeping busy.

13. Rebecca commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 12:03am

That camera strap is awesome! Loving your chevron camera bag too. :)
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..Lovely Valentine Macarons

14. Wedding photographer commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 12:34am

I simply love photography and your tips and hints are great. I love the camera strap, however have to admit I’m a Nikon user..

Iphoneography is superb though
    Wedding photographer´s last blog post ..Yvonne and Jeremy – Pre wedding Photography

15. Amberly commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 6:37am

I think an iPad is at the top of my list! It just seems so easy to use and carry around, and perfect for blog-reading at a coffee shop. Gotta start saving!!
    Amberly´s last blog post ..All About Color: 10 Very Simple Ways to Decorate for Valentine’s Day

16. Alexandra commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 1:06pm

Thank you for this helpful and practical information! It can be quite overwhelming to choose the right camera and gadgets. Please keep us updated!
    Alexandra´s last blog post ..Das Styling von Dietlind Wolf ist immer etwas ganz Besonderes. Diese viktorianisch inspirierten…

17. Erin Ethier commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 5:16pm

bookmarking this immediately!!! one of my 2013 resolutions is to learn how to take better photos & this is SO helpful. thank you so, so much!!

18. Tina Ramchandani commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 5:44pm

Thanks for sharing Holly. Having trouble figuring out which is the right bag for me, because I don’t want to look like a crazy bag lady! Will check this one out. Just got my new 50mm lens in the mail yesterday, so excited!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..An exclusive sneak peek into Mercedes Benz Fashion Week

19. Inge commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 8:09pm

Ha! I love this post! I got my first Canon EOS 500 two years ago for my birthday, but I was searching high and low for a cute camera bag! I got the black standard bag (very boring indeed) and it doesn’t have enough place for all my lenses. So glad to read you have this cute “handbag” with a spot for every lens and your camera. I’ll look out for the same thing, since I don’t want to look like a tourist when I’m out and about shooting pictures. ;-)
    So funny to see you’re also having an iPad, my husband is getting an iPad for his birthday next month and I can’t wait to try it out as well. I’ll probably try to make it mine. ;) LOL!
    Oh and I also have an iPhone case of Kate Spade (with a pink side and white and black dots at the back)… I love Kate Spade cases!! ;)
    Inge´s last blog post ..Lovely finds on Etsy ~ my top 10 Valentine’s Day cards

20. Rosie Rogers commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 12:15am

Love this post, It’s always great to know what photography gear everyone uses, I just love love LOVE your sequinned camera strap!
    Rosie Rogers´s last blog post ..Reading The Web And The Magic F

21. Isabel Magnasco commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 3:16am

I loved this entry about your gear !!!

Thanks for sharing it !!!

22. Gabriel commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 3:34am

Ah! I really want that 35mm lens and the ipad/Wi-fi tip is great! That would definitely make things easier when shooting a post. As someone else mentioned above, it is my 2013 goal to create more original content and this post is super helpful. Cheers!
    Gabriel´s last blog post ..5 Artful Movies For Valentine’s Day

23. Veronica commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 2:33pm

I’m loving your camera strap! I hope they sell those here in the Philippines.
    Veronica´s last blog post ..Crafts: Paper Fortune Cookies

24. Megan commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 3:39pm

I love that you included a fun camera strap in your post. I noticed I started using my dslr more once I switched my camera strap from the bulky standard Canon one to a more lightweight and colorful one.
    Megan´s last blog post ..67 Books in 2013

25. Nache commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 1:23pm

Great list! I just purchased the Eye-Fi from Amazon.
    Nache´s last blog post ..Cute Boot and “Shoe Boot” Styles Up to Size 12 From SOREL

26. Brittni commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 5:48pm

Love this post. I have Canon 7D and I use my 50mm lens everyday. It was one of the best b-day presents my husband has ever bought for me. P.S. Aren’t Manfroto tripods the best? I love mine.
    Brittni´s last blog post ..Print This: Modern V-Day Art Print Greeting Cards (Free Download)

27. Laura K Aiken commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 9:16pm

Hi Holly
    I can’t wait to try the apps you posted.! I can’t get enough of those. Anything photography related is always a plus. -laura.

28. Momographica commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 11:12pm

This is such a great and informative post! Thank you for sharing such information!

Me, I do use a Nikon D5100 and a Nikon 3000 (the first one arrived last Christmas but I am still using both of them). My lens collection includes the usual 18-55 (but I don’t use it very much), my treasured Tamron Macro 90 mm, a Nikkor 35 mm, A Nikkor 50 mm and a Nikkor 18-200. I love working with close-up lenses, as I love details.
    Momographica´s last blog post ..A Photographer’s Saturday Nature Gift

29. The Country Mouse commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 5:07pm

Thanks for this post. I’m new to food blogging and have been researching cameras. It’s nice to know what you use since your photos are well composed and taken.

30. R. Joyce commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:07pm

Thanks for this blog. I just got a point and shoot that allows for manual adjustments that I am working on mastering. After that I am moving to the big boy.
    R. Joyce´s last blog post ..Closet Home Office: The Big Reveal

31. anh commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 11:21pm

great post! i’m going to check out all of the apps that you recommended!
    anh´s last blog post ..First Marathon

32. Angeli commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 6:42pm

Hi Holly! Was looking into getting that eye-fi wifi card after you posted this, didn’t know such a thing existed! So cool!

But then I saw the 190 1-star reviews on Amazon, and got scared! They say you can lose your photos anytime. It sounded like a great idea though! i am on the hunt for something similar, and more dependable. any ideas? thanks for the tip!

33. decor8 commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 8:32pm

@Angeli – I use this one for my Canon 600D and it has never given me a problem – I have been using it for one year.

34. Chrystina commented
    February 15th, 2013 at 4:11am

Thanks for this post!! I really should find a camera bag to carry around – treat my camera with the respect it deserves. And if you come across a good “on the go” tripod, absolutely let us know :)
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..family matters valentines

35. Kendra commented
    February 19th, 2013 at 3:41am

Thank you for sharing your tips and equipment. It’s always great to see what others use and their process. Time to go shopping to amp up my bag! K
    Kendra´s last blog post ..Color Lovah!

36. Alison Gibb commented
    February 21st, 2013 at 12:06pm

Hello really want an ipad…but cannot decide on size/model…what have you committed to Holly and is it the right model for you?
    xx
    Alison Gibb´s last blog post ..Happy Valentines

37. Desiree commented
    February 23rd, 2013 at 12:02am

Waugh Thanks for all the info ! really useful I am planning to get myself an ipad next month in NY so great tips .
    Desiree´s last blog post ..Military boxes | My living room

38. Mary commented
    March 17th, 2013 at 3:15pm

Thanks for the post! You’ve included some great suggestions. I particularly like the camera bag because I’m always on the lookout for a bag that holds enough gear but doesn’t scream expensive. I’ll be ordering one today (and taking your suggestions about the interior color).

Thanks again!

Mary

39. Giò commented
    April 2nd, 2013 at 10:34pm

Hi Holli,
    do you have any tips about the lights to use? Thank you very much!
    xoxo
    Giò´s last blog post ..Washi Tape Project on Vine

40. Ketti commented
    April 12th, 2013 at 11:53pm

I’m just seeing this now, but thank you for featuring our bag! I’d be happy to send you the current version with the green lining :)

41. Jim commented
    July 1st, 2014 at 11:17pm

Totally getting wireless card that will work with iPad. I use it for everything else, why not my photography.