Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

February 8, 2013

As a blogger who is out a lot playing around with my camera and meeting up with people, I’m asked frequently about my loot – what’s in MY bag? In this post I’ll share a list of what I think is some pretty great gear for bloggers that I use – and everything is quite affordable (my camera is well under $1,000 which, in DSLR terms, isn’t high end but still does a beautiful job). What works for me may not work for you but I really LOVE my Canon 600D and the 4 lens that I have (one is a kit lens, the other 3 I purchased). I also like my other goodies, like my camera strap and my cute camera bag that just arrived today.

Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

Here is a list of my loot:

Camera: Canon 600D with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens by Canon that came with it. This camera is great because it not only takes amazing photos but it has full HD movie mode – my latest obsession! Camera details/price can be found here:

Lens: Canon EF-S 18-200mm 1:3,5-5,6 IS (, Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 ( Note: I want to upgrade this lens soon though to the Canon EF 50mm/1,4. And the latest lens I’ve picked up is the Canon EF 35mm 1:2,0 (

Tripod: I use a Manfroto #222 joystick head on top of a standard tripod that my husband bought on eBay awhile ago. If you’re in the market for a tripod, Manfrotto is a really good one to try and they are super sturdy though not so lightweight – I only use this one for shooting at home. I haven’t gotten to the point yet to where I’m bringing tripods on the road with me… Ha! Baby steps, here.

Phone/Apps: I also want to add that I frequently use my iPhone 4 to take photos (Instagram addict) and I really like the KitCam app though I find myself using the Camera+ app most of the time. I’m also taking videos frequently with the Vine app and having a lot of fun with it!

iPad: I use my iPad constantly. More than my MacBook Pro even. It’s the best thing ever and the funny thing is, it took me 6 months after I purchased it to even get into using it. One great thing you can do with an iPad that is pretty cool for photographers is that you can pop an Eye-Fi card into your camera and transfer pictures wirelessly to your iPad while you’re shooting (as in instantly!) using the ShutterSnitch app. My husband and I shot about 30 photos for my last book like this and it worked like a charm when it came to styling and really helps you to pick up the pace on shoots, too.

Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

Camera bag: Ketti Chevron cloth camera bag. Note: Mine arrived with a dark purple lining that I really don’t like (it’s hard to see inside because it’s very dark) – the website says green lining (with photos showing it so I know I’m not crazy)- so I insist when you purchase a bag from them you make sure they get your order right. Other than the purple interior, the bag will work great for me – I love that it’s padded and has adjustable slots for the lens, the camera, etc. inside – yet it looks like a very “normal” handbag. I got so tired of running around in my ugly black (very standard, very boring) camera bag!

Great Photography Gear For Bloggers

Camera strap: Stardust camera strap from Bloom Theory in silver.

iPhone case: Le Pavillion iPhone case by Kate Spade and this silly pink cat from Accessorize. Don’t laugh. Okay, laugh.

So! That’s what I use when I’m out shooting and having fun. Hope some of these tips help you out! A few of the links above are affiliate links by the way, which means I earn about 6% if you buy something on the US Amazon site. All of the other links are not affiliate-related at all. No one has paid me or given me products, discounts or any freebies for mentioning any of the above items. I paid for absolutely everything at the same retail price as everyone else. :)

If you have any questions or want to share what you use, please do in the comments section below! What’s in YOUR bag?

Happy Friday everyone – loads of love to you!

(images: holly becker, thorsten becker and bloom theory)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Rebecca Jeavons February 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm

This is great
    will be looking at some add ons for my camera.. can’t always have a pro with you and hate to miss some opportunities

• Reply Lauren February 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I have a Nikon D5100 and I love it. We have three lenses right now- an 18-55mm, a 55-200mm, and a 35mm. I love the 35 and use it most of the time. I really want to make a new camera strap and am thinking I might do something with leather, since my husband and I both use it. He may not apprciate sequins ;)

• Reply Amanda February 8, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Ah, I’ve been eyeing the Bloom Theory straps for months… But always forget it during the lead up to gift giving occasions. Must remember for the future!

• Reply tinajo February 8, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for sharing, it´s always fun to see what others use! I have a Canin 7D myself and LOVE it! :-)

• Reply Eva February 8, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hi Holly,
    maybe this current event on German food blogs might be interesting as well where bloggers wrote about their camera gear:

In the comment section you will find the links to the different posts and here is also my camera post. – Hope it is ok, that I added these links. Otherwise just delete them, no problem :)
    Best wishes and have a lovely weekend, Eva

• Reply bea February 8, 2013 at 5:37 pm

i upgraded from the canon 50mm/1.8 lens to the 50mm/1.4 and it is the best thing i’ve done in YEARS. almost, at least. i just love the 1.4 lens, even more than i loved the 1.8. the quality is a lot better and the depth of field is to die for. maybe in the future i can afford the 1.2 lens. that would be a dream come true, for sure.

my point is: upgrade! you won’t regret it for a second. :)

• Reply Chris February 8, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! It’s exactly the kind of info I needed right now. I’ve been toying around the with the idea of upgrading from my Nikon Coolpix to a DSLR but don’t want to break the bank. Thanks!

• Reply Laura Gaskill February 8, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Woohoo! This was just the inspiration I needed and didn’t even know it. :) I’ve been attempting to practice my photography more in the hopes of boosting my skills and sharing more of my original work on my blog…plus I just got an ipad as a gift this Christmas, so I’m SUPER excited to hear of a new way to use it along with my camera.

And oh my goodness, your camera strap is the BEST – I loved it as soon as I saw it on one of your pinterest boards! :) xo Laura

• Reply Elizabeth February 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I have the Canon 60D along with the lens kit and I love it! Love that strap too! Funny that the website said the bag came with green lining. :)

• Reply Colleen February 8, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I definitely have that same camera strap that came as a gift from my sister! I love it! It does get stuck in my hair sometimes though.. Great roundup!

• Reply Juliette February 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I love your bag! I’m getting a Canon DSLR and the 50mm1.4 lens in May and CAN NOT wait! I wish I could fast forward to May!! Your post made me excited about it all over again, lol. I started blogging w/just my phone camera and then finally got a digital point-and-shoot and I am so so ready to take my photos to the next level.

• Reply Casey February 8, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I just bought my first lens, aside from the one that came with my camera that I bought a year ago. It’s the 50mm f/1.8 and I’ve been having so much fun playing with it. I’ve been taking product shots for 5 years now for my Etsy shop and my photography sure has come a long way! I’m definitely still working on it, though. :) The next thing I have to get is a new strap. That black CANON one isn’t too cute. Love the sequin one! Thanks for sharing tools!

• Reply Rebecca February 9, 2013 at 12:03 am

That camera strap is awesome! Loving your chevron camera bag too. :)

• Reply Wedding photographer February 9, 2013 at 12:34 am

I simply love photography and your tips and hints are great. I love the camera strap, however have to admit I’m a Nikon user..

Iphoneography is superb though

• Reply Amberly February 9, 2013 at 6:37 am

I think an iPad is at the top of my list! It just seems so easy to use and carry around, and perfect for blog-reading at a coffee shop. Gotta start saving!!

• Reply Alexandra February 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thank you for this helpful and practical information! It can be quite overwhelming to choose the right camera and gadgets. Please keep us updated!

• Reply Erin Ethier February 9, 2013 at 5:16 pm

bookmarking this immediately!!! one of my 2013 resolutions is to learn how to take better photos & this is SO helpful. thank you so, so much!!

• Reply Tina Ramchandani February 9, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Thanks for sharing Holly. Having trouble figuring out which is the right bag for me, because I don’t want to look like a crazy bag lady! Will check this one out. Just got my new 50mm lens in the mail yesterday, so excited!

• Reply Inge February 9, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Ha! I love this post! I got my first Canon EOS 500 two years ago for my birthday, but I was searching high and low for a cute camera bag! I got the black standard bag (very boring indeed) and it doesn’t have enough place for all my lenses. So glad to read you have this cute “handbag” with a spot for every lens and your camera. I’ll look out for the same thing, since I don’t want to look like a tourist when I’m out and about shooting pictures. ;-)
    So funny to see you’re also having an iPad, my husband is getting an iPad for his birthday next month and I can’t wait to try it out as well. I’ll probably try to make it mine. ;) LOL!
    Oh and I also have an iPhone case of Kate Spade (with a pink side and white and black dots at the back)… I love Kate Spade cases!! ;)

• Reply Rosie Rogers February 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

Love this post, It’s always great to know what photography gear everyone uses, I just love love LOVE your sequinned camera strap!

• Reply Isabel Magnasco February 10, 2013 at 3:16 am

I loved this entry about your gear !!!

Thanks for sharing it !!!

• Reply Gabriel February 10, 2013 at 3:34 am

Ah! I really want that 35mm lens and the ipad/Wi-fi tip is great! That would definitely make things easier when shooting a post. As someone else mentioned above, it is my 2013 goal to create more original content and this post is super helpful. Cheers!

• Reply Veronica February 10, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I’m loving your camera strap! I hope they sell those here in the Philippines.

• Reply Megan February 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I love that you included a fun camera strap in your post. I noticed I started using my dslr more once I switched my camera strap from the bulky standard Canon one to a more lightweight and colorful one.

• Reply Nache February 11, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Great list! I just purchased the Eye-Fi from Amazon.

• Reply Brittni February 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Love this post. I have Canon 7D and I use my 50mm lens everyday. It was one of the best b-day presents my husband has ever bought for me. P.S. Aren’t Manfroto tripods the best? I love mine.

• Reply Laura K Aiken February 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Hi Holly
    I can’t wait to try the apps you posted.! I can’t get enough of those. Anything photography related is always a plus. -laura.

• Reply Momographica February 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm

This is such a great and informative post! Thank you for sharing such information!

Me, I do use a Nikon D5100 and a Nikon 3000 (the first one arrived last Christmas but I am still using both of them). My lens collection includes the usual 18-55 (but I don’t use it very much), my treasured Tamron Macro 90 mm, a Nikkor 35 mm, A Nikkor 50 mm and a Nikkor 18-200. I love working with close-up lenses, as I love details.

• Reply The Country Mouse February 12, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Thanks for this post. I’m new to food blogging and have been researching cameras. It’s nice to know what you use since your photos are well composed and taken.

• Reply R. Joyce February 12, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for this blog. I just got a point and shoot that allows for manual adjustments that I am working on mastering. After that I am moving to the big boy.

• Reply anh February 12, 2013 at 11:21 pm

great post! i’m going to check out all of the apps that you recommended!

• Reply Angeli February 13, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Hi Holly! Was looking into getting that eye-fi wifi card after you posted this, didn’t know such a thing existed! So cool!

But then I saw the 190 1-star reviews on Amazon, and got scared! They say you can lose your photos anytime. It sounded like a great idea though! i am on the hunt for something similar, and more dependable. any ideas? thanks for the tip!

• Reply Chrystina February 15, 2013 at 4:11 am

Thanks for this post!! I really should find a camera bag to carry around – treat my camera with the respect it deserves. And if you come across a good “on the go” tripod, absolutely let us know :)

• Reply Kendra February 19, 2013 at 3:41 am

Thank you for sharing your tips and equipment. It’s always great to see what others use and their process. Time to go shopping to amp up my bag! K

• Reply Alison Gibb February 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Hello really want an ipad…but cannot decide on size/model…what have you committed to Holly and is it the right model for you?

• Reply Desiree February 23, 2013 at 12:02 am

Waugh Thanks for all the info ! really useful I am planning to get myself an ipad next month in NY so great tips .

• Reply Mary March 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for the post! You’ve included some great suggestions. I particularly like the camera bag because I’m always on the lookout for a bag that holds enough gear but doesn’t scream expensive. I’ll be ordering one today (and taking your suggestions about the interior color).

Thanks again!

• Reply Giò April 2, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Hi Holli,
    do you have any tips about the lights to use? Thank you very much!

• Reply Ketti April 12, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I’m just seeing this now, but thank you for featuring our bag! I’d be happy to send you the current version with the green lining :)

• Reply Jim July 1, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Totally getting wireless card that will work with iPad. I use it for everything else, why not my photography.