DIY: Dress Up Your Drum Pendant

I was working in my studio this morning when I realized that perhaps you’d be interested in a fun DIY idea for decorating a drum pendant. I decorated one in my workspace/dining room last April for a party and liked it so much that I left it “as is”. I’m planning to change it up soon so I thought that before I do, I’d share this idea that is both great for parties or for long term.

DIY: Dress Up Your Drum Pendant

Decorate Your Drum Pendant

Okay so first, you need (obviously) a drum pendant. I bought mine from Raumformplan, it was made by a German designer called Frau Maier (you can see this pendant also in my new German decorating workbook, Holly Beckers Wunderbar Wohnideen, coming out in March). I selected the largest size available since my space allowed for it. I wanted something with a nice silhouette but also with a bit of bling so I selected Big Lulu Gold – a white drum pendant with a slight size difference (it’s wider at the bottom than at the top) and a gorgeous gold interior. You can find them here – my friend Janin sells them in her online shop and she is happy to ship one to you. :)

After the pendant arrived, I decided to give it a more personal touch before installing it so I added a hot pink textile cord from House Doctor. I don’t think they carry pink anymore but you can always write to them to check or buy one from Rie Elise Larsen or, if you are in Hannover, ask my friend Daniela at Sommerfugl if she can get one for you since she sells Rie Elise stuff in her pretty shop.

DIY: Dress Up Your Drum Pendant

After you’ve installed your pendant and added a pretty textile cord, it’s time to decorate it for a party! I went through my ribbon stash to see what I already had and selected colors and patterns that I liked. Then I stood on a chair and held them up, accounting for about 3 inches extra that I’d need for each to tie them to the frame of the shade.

Decorate Your Drum Pendant

I cut the ribbons into different lengths and simply tied them to the frame. NOTE: Please make sure you tie them tightly so they do not “slide” towards the lightbulb and of course, common sense says to also not tie them near the bulb at all – make sure they do not touch it or even come close – go for at least 4-5″ away. Best to tie them closer to the shade than to the bulb! Also, make sure they are not too long – you don’t want your candlelight dinner turning into a house fire!

Decorate Your Drum Pendant

For a final decorative touch, I tied on a leaf banner that my friend, London-based stylist and author Sania Pell made and gave to me last year. It is a very special gift so I wanted it to be in a spot where I’d see it often because it gives me such a happy feeling. (Thank you Sania!).

So, there you have it – a super easy DIY that you can do in minutes if you already have a drum pendant – if not, I bet now you are considering to buy one, aren’t you? I actually love this light because I can hang things from it and since it goes with so many different room styles and color palettes – a wonderful piece is a versatile one!

I hope you enjoy my little DIY.  See you on Monday!

(photos: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in diy on February 09, 2013

1. Gina Luker commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 2:10pm

How adorable is that? Love that you can use up those last few inches of ribbon that I can never seem to part with. Lovely idea, Holly!
    Gina Luker´s last blog post ..Low Calorie Dessert: Strawberry Sorbet

2. Emily commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 2:15pm

What a great idea! So simple yet just enough to add a bit of personality to a purchased item :)
    XX Emily
    Emily´s last blog post ..Singing the Springtime Blues

3. Happy Harris commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 2:32pm

I saw one of these in a charity shop in the week, I picked it up and hesitated and put it down again! Damn! that is soooo my kind of craft, something quick and easy that looks totally aMAZIng…I think I might have to go back into town! :D – Thanks for the inspiration Holly xx

Love Happy xx
    Happy Harris´s last blog post ..PINTEREST PAGE

4. Kristín Ragna Höskuldsdóttir commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 4:12pm

So great idea, adorable and cute. i will try to do this soon, thanks for shareing :)
    Best wishes mAs
    Kristín Ragna Höskuldsdóttir´s last blog post ..Ég {hjarta} Sean Sims … | I {heart} Sean Sims…

5. Sonia commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 6:42pm

Such a lovely idea!

6. Sonia commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 6:43pm

This is such a lovely idea!

7. Suerae Stein commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 7:57pm

What a wonderful idea! And so festive! I’m happy to have found your blog through Alison Abbott’s Green with Renvy blog. I love creative ideas and I look forward to coming back and seeing more of them! ~ Suerae
    Suerae Stein´s last blog post ..I Heart This!

8. Ada ( new york ) commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 9:03pm

Totally adorable … I am eyeballing my drum shade now

9. April Louise commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 9:09pm

This is such a great DIY, I want to give it a go when I get home. Easy and effective!
    April Louise´s last blog post ..Party Celebrations

10. Audrey commented
    February 9th, 2013 at 10:13pm

Just found you through Networked Blogs and am now following, would love for you to check out my blog when you have a spare moment, have a great day,
    Audrey @ neverendingdecorating.blogspot.com
    Audrey´s last blog post ..Networking Saturday Announcement

11. Amberly commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 2:09am

I love this idea and I just thought of the perfect place for it in my home! So excited to get started… the colors you selected are perfect!
    Amberly´s last blog post ..All About Color: 10 Very Simple Ways to Decorate for Valentine’s Day

12. Deneise Bucko commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 2:47am

I looked up on Janin’s site and found it hard to understand . Either I am blonde American with English being my only language or the three hours of sleep isn’t cutting it. i love it though… didn’t find the price but I imagine it is pricey to ship to the states! :)

13. mel commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 3:11am

A lovely personal touch Holly. You’ve inspired me to keep a (bigger) collection of ribbons on hand… Mel
    mel´s last blog post ..Chocolate Chip Cookie

14. Stephne commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 8:58am

Good morning, your blog feels like the famous Scottish rock i used to adore as a child, a lovely colour and sweet as anything, quite delish! x

15. Emily@theNest commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 6:26pm

I have been mulling over decorating lampshades for the longest time… and this idea is just sweet and lovely!
    Emily@theNest´s last blog post ..Side Table Upcycle

16. Tereza. commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 8:29pm

cute! =D

17. uschi commented
    February 10th, 2013 at 9:17pm

today’s newsletter did look a bit strange. it was just a list, noc pics
    - just wanted to let you know !

have a nice sunday evening !

18. VERENA commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 12:12am

What an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hug’s,
    Verena

19. Elisa commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 2:42pm

This is ADORABLE! You my dear are an evil genius!
    Elisa´s last blog post ..I’d Rather Be Wearing…

20. Lelanie Slater commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 3:24pm

So easy yet so cute. I think I might try this in my studio or the guest room.
    Lelanie Slater´s last blog post ..Signs of love

21. Brittni commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 5:43pm

Such a cute idea. I love this.
    Brittni´s last blog post ..Print This: Modern V-Day Art Print Greeting Cards (Free Download)

22. R. Joyce commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:09pm

Super cute and simple.
    R. Joyce´s last blog post ..Closet Home Office: The Big Reveal

23. Charles Scamadin commented
    February 14th, 2013 at 5:04pm

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the most effective. They look amazing.