Garance Doré Boutique

I was so excited when my friends, Gudy and her boyfriend Christopher, told me all about their love for fashion blogger and illustrator Garance Doré last month! I’m a bit slow… To think that I started decor8 a million years ago (so embarrassed, sorry guys!) yet know so little about fashion bloggers, well all I can say is that I definitely need to work a little less and read more fashion blogs!

Garance Doré Boutique

Honestly (why do I say honestly, it’s not like I’m about to lie about this!), but anyway… Honestly, outside of The Sartorialist and his two lovely books, I don’t know much about fashion bloggers… I think it’s because that world (fashion in general, not blogging) always felt so elitist and off limits to me. I think films like The September Issue made me feel even more frightened, not to mention what a head job shows like The City do to my view of the fashion world – s c a r y. In a way, it’s almost how interior design felt ten years ago, well before we design bloggers came along and started to rip down the massive walls and say, “Hey guys, stop being so arrogant – it’s just a sofa!”.  Now we have Garance saying, “It’s JUST Chanel you guys!”, in her very cute accent, and suddenly I’m less intimidated by it all.

From her gorgeous blog to her stunning photos, warm and enthusiastic writing style, fun videos and yummy fashion illos (I!know!lots!of!adjectives!and!excitement!over!Garance!) I feel I’ve been swept away from sofas and floor plans for a moment to mingle in this very chic world that I knew little about outside of the pages of Vogue. Through her web show, Pardon My FrenchGarance takes you behind-the-scenes into her life as a blogger/fashion photographer so you get to check out fab places, meet cool people (Jenna Lyons! Eep!) and sit in the front row as Garance reports from catwalks around the world in her videos. (The closest I ever got to Jenna Lyons was when her assistant told me that she would have loved to have been in my book but her home wasn’t finished yet and that she knew and loved my blog, I nearly died. In fact, had I died I would have died very happy!) I digress…

What I love about Garance is that she comes across super likeable and normal – like she could be my best friend – there isn’t this pretentiousness hovering around that the fashion world (haute couture at least) is known for. Her consistent point-of-view shines through both in her writing and when she’s chatting away in the back seat of her car interviewing friends between shows. She is definitely very inspirational. I’m going to have to turn her into a case study for my next blogging workshop and who knows, maybe when I’m in New York for my next book tour, I’ll see if I can arrange to interview her for decor8 – a girl can dream!

Garance Doré Boutique

Through her blog, I also found out about another amazing woman, Amanda de Cadenet, who is a photographer from London living in LA who is host to the most lovely web show called The Conversation. (I love this photo that she took of Rumer Willis.) I watched every single Conversation epi over the past few weeks and I’m hooked – Amanda is my new girl crush along with Garance. Swoon!

Garance Doré Boutique

Oh and did you see the above prints and posters? Aren’t they just soooo nice? These are available for purchase online in the Garance Doré Boutique. My friend, Samantha Hahn, is one of my favorite fashion illustrators in the world (she does work for Daily Candy and even for humble little me) but Garance is definitely up there now in my top 5. I may not know fashion (as in catwalks and big labels and fashion bloggers) but I consider myself pretty with it when it comes to fashion illustrators as I’ve written about a ton of them throughout the years. There I feel a little better (peacock feathers spreading) because I’m not a total fashion loser.

And look you guys – I am even cooler now – I just purchased Belle De Jour for my home – lovely pony and such a sweet portrait! Woot!

SO! There you have it – you have been officially introduced to Garance Doré if you’ve never heard of her before and have been living under a rock for years. Enjoy! I’m off now for the day to finish up some interviews and for my 4 hour film theory class so wish me luck because I need lots of it. It’s hard but I like a good challenge…

Tell me, are you a Garance fan?

(images: Garance Doré Boutique)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on February 11, 2013

1. Aline commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 2:45pm

Of course !! Really fan , she’s so adorable, talented and humble, a good person.
    I’ve already order an illustration :)
    Have a nice week Holly!
    Aline´s last blog post ..Bonne année 2013 !

2. Rebecca Lately commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 3:02pm

I’ve never heard of her, but her blog looks gorgeous. I’ll have to add her to my reader!
    Rebecca Lately´s last blog post ..Cold much?

3. Maryse commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 3:26pm

I’ll be happy when Garance and her boyfriend stop adding to the glamourisation of cigarettes.

4. Wedding Decorations commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 3:35pm

Great advice. I just adore Garance Doré’s style her illustrations are beautiful.

5. Alex commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 3:35pm

Hi, actually I did know about Garance Doré, I’m not that into fashion either but I knew her from a campaign with The Sartorialist for Tiffany’s, I wrote about it last year in my blog (http://aroundminetta.blogspot.com.es/2012/01/de-fotos-y-romances.html) , and since then I follow her blog.
    I also love her illustrations, the one you purchased is lovely!
    Alex´s last blog post ..Love is in the air…

6. Mnêmosunê commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 4:32pm

I am :)
    I love her drawings, so fresh !
    Mnêmosunê´s last blog post ..L’épopée de la création du Cthulu – Partie 1

7. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 4:48pm

absolutely love garance!
    her blog is so aspirational yet accessible.
    Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Interior Inspiration

8. Lisbeth commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 5:04pm

Thanks for the heads up! Who can resist, when you gush like that ;-)
    Lisbeth´s last blog post ..Not Wabi Sabi

9. Chloe Moon commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 5:25pm

Wow so talented! These fashion prints are beautiful!! I have to check out some more!
    Chloe Moon´s last blog post ..Living Together + Cupcakes…

10. Mira commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 5:51pm

I like Garance Doré she´s got style, she´s interesting (so her blog is). She has so many things to show ´ordinary people´ interesting in fashion!

11. I AM TURQUOISE commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 6:37pm

i like those sketches, in fact i like fashion illustrations :)

I AM TURQUOISE´s last blog post ..Cupcakes & Cashmere

12. kleine Schwester commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 6:47pm

I definitely need to buy one of these lovely posters…. I just fell in love.
    Thanks so much for sharing, Holly !
    Katinka

13. Josh Urso Design commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 8:12pm

Really cool work – we can appreciate the large blocky color and the honesty of the lines. It does come across as a bit more vulnerable than the traditional fashion illustration.

We definitely shy away from the fashion scene too, but there are plenty of people who are probably afraid of Interior Designers and Artists. We’re all pretty nice people though, us creatives!

14. decor8 commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 8:20pm

@Maryse – From what I’ve seen, she is smoking an electric cigarette now and trying to quit. My father smoked his entire life and tried to quit many times, only after developing throat cancer did he finally stop and just in time – he overcame his cancer as a result… So I share your concern over smoking and the harm it causes BUT at the same time, I recognize that it’s also an addiction that is quite hard to quit. PLUS she is French – in Europe smoking (surprisingly so) is still a bit glamourous, especially in Paris and the big cities. I’m not sure if you’re European, American, or… But at least half of my German friends smoke and people in general smoke constantly here with ads plastered everywhere as well – Europe just isn’t where America is on smoking…

I can’t speak for the UK – but all over mainland Europe smoking is socially very acceptable and even “cool”. It’s where America was in say, the mid 90s I think.
    For instance, you cannot sit outside in the summer here without everyone around you puffing like smoke stacks!

But oh well, not my judgement to make – but this post really isn’t about bad habits or negativity is it? It’s about a very talented and exceptional person who is making a huge difference and for me, that’s the point.

15. Jeanne commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 8:33pm

Thanks for sharing! Garance takes me back to my years in design school and when I was just starting out my career! Back then things were so different – everything was meticulously drawn by hand – flat sketches and gouache filled illustrations. My, have things changed since then in favor of speedier and more accurate techniques (i.e. the computer) There is one thing a computer cannot emulate, and that is the artist’s hand. I think I am going to dig out some of my old illustrations for old time’s sake!

16. Lena commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 10:21pm

I just found out about Garance’s blog a few weeks ago – and it was also because Gudy shared one of Garance’s posts! Funny. I read that post gudy had recommended and didn’t leave her site for the next 2 hours, I think. So good to know that I wasn’t the only one living under that rock! (Which was what I thought, of course!)

17. Emily Henson/Life Unstyled commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 11:09pm

I love Garance’s photography and now her illustrations as well. Thanks Holly! And yes, here in the UK people still smoke a lot, though I’m not sure about it being considered cool like when we were kids. But as you said, that’s not what this post is about.

18. decor8 commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 11:12pm

@Lena – Oh that’s so funny! I didn’t know Gudy blogged about her – she just told me about Garance a few weeks ago when she was over at my house – but yes, Garance is great!

19. anastasia commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 12:59am

I love Garance – not only is she a creative illustrator, & fashion photographer/ blogger but her writing style is so warm, honest and she’s really witty & funny…her blog is one of my favorites!! I too was eyeing her posters, think I need to treat myself to one too!

20. lei commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 3:36am

i love garance. and i love her blog, especially when she talks about self-image/beauty/weight gain or loss. i printed three posts she wrote on that topic because it was in a different voice than i had ever heard. just like you said, so unpretentious, so effortlessly cool. i felt like my best friend was casually talking to me about all that stuff…and it just made sense. i reference it from time to time because her writing is a real pick-me-up!

21. christelle is flabbergasting commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 4:26am

Aaaah I love Garance SO much! Her style, her pictures but above all her tone! As you said, we could be best friend! I love to read her and keep on reading her exactly for that. She stays funny and humble even if she is one of the most influent/ renowned fashion blogger. Aaah Garance, je t’aime ! ^_^

22. Lady ID commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 7:21am

I am definitely a Garance fan. I’ve been following her and The Sartorialist for a couple of years now. I like her illustration style and even in her blogs, she is very conversational in her writing style. I don’t always read everything but what I do read is usually fun especially when she compares French vs US culture.

23. Gudy Herder commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 12:11pm

I have watched the video when she and Scott had been given the CFDA award last summer and was impressed how vulnerable she was tearing up the audience but never missing her humor in the end. She is on my list of persons I would love to invite for dinner :-)
    Gudy Herder´s last blog post ..A beach house in Kent

24. kristina commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 3:02pm

it’s funny you know the satorialist, but not, that he’s actually her boyfriend..the blogs kindof go together =)

25. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 3:24pm

@kristina – Yes, I agree it is funny that I didn’t know! The blogs looks so much alike, you are right about that!

26. samantha hahn commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:18pm

awww Holly!!! Thank you for the little shout out. You are too sweet. I love you.
    XO.
    -Samantha

27. Amaia commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:03pm

I have been following her blog for some time now and I absolutely love it! (I also follow The Sartorialist) She is so much fun to read and the way she writes makes me want to be her friend! I love her honesty and sense of humour too :)
    Amaia´s last blog post ..Dressing for 2ºC

28. Aurore commented
    February 14th, 2013 at 9:03am

Garance is my favorite fashion blogger?Her blog is inspiring and the most important of all,she’s not so …material when other fashion bloggers talk about brands and purchasing all the time.

29. Marie @etincellestudio commented
    February 14th, 2013 at 10:56am

I have followed Garance for as long as I have followed Decor 8, and I have seen her evolve through the years. It’s been quite amazing I have to say! I dropped a bit recently reading it (less and less available time to read blogs) and I had no idea she had an online shop. I am a fan of her illustrations! That’s actually how she started, sharing her illustration work on her blog…
    Marie @etincellestudio´s last blog post ..Happy Valentine’s Day!

30. Marie @etincellestudio commented
    February 14th, 2013 at 10:58am

I have to add that reading her blog in French is even more enjoyable than in English ;-)
    Marie @etincellestudio´s last blog post ..Happy Valentine’s Day!

31. Piia commented
    February 16th, 2013 at 12:15pm

Definitely a fan! I’ve been following her blog for a long time, love her energy and attitude towards everything she does, she seems so easygoing and fun! I hope you get that interview with her, fingers crossed!

32. R. Joyce commented
    February 18th, 2013 at 8:21pm

Fashion sketches are truly a work of art. I might consider getting a fashion student to draw me some so I can display them as wall art.
    R. Joyce´s last blog post ..Closet Home Office: The Big Reveal