Easy DIY: Taped Frames

I do lots of crazy stuff around my studio that I don’t always is that DIY story worthy if you know what I mean. Most bloggers put so much effort and hours into their DIY posts but me… Oh gosh, I wing it and hope it doesn’t flop! I know you guys must be thinking I’m nuts for posting this extra simple DIY stuff but I have to write about things that matter to me first, you know? I like it, it makes me happy. And then I just sorta hope they matter to you and give you some creative ideas, too.

Easy DIY

Today’s DIY is the perfect example. It’s not elaborate at ALL but maybe you’ve never thought of it or tried it so it may be a fun new idea to you. This idea came when I was looking at some artwork in neon lucite frames and thought that I would love to have neon frames in my studio… So I went out and bought some paint and was seriously all geared up to paint wooden frames when I thought – what if I paint the frames made for my original pieces of art (I collect lots from Jennifer Davis) and then, in 6 months, I hate the frames? It’s not easy to custom frame all over again or even affordably.

Easy DIY

Then I wondered if certain colors would even look good. Gosh, why was I so scared to paint a stupid frame? Again, I think it had to do with how these were custom made for my artwork by Jennifer herself and I really cherish the originals and don’t want to ruin them. Then I though, “Oh whatever, loosen up” and  pulled out my paint. Suddenly I thought WAIT. I walked over to my stacks and stacks of washi tape, grabbed a roll in the same color as my paint pot and taped up only the sides of my frame to see how the color looked before I committed to painting. BUT a cool thing happened. The tape works just fine. In fact, if you lay the tape on perfectly straight, cut it with scissors perfectly straight on each end and do two layers without any overlap AT ALL it actually looks like paint – even when you stand pretty close. A bit relieved, I put the paint away, hung the first piece and feel that sudden DIY glow – you know, when you do something that wasn’t an epic fail. Ha!

Easy DIY

I sometimes think my random little ideas don’t matter, that everyone else must be doing this stuff too, but then it dawned on me that often it’s the little easy things that we overlook and miss out on trying. This makes me want to keep sharing my mini projects. I hope that you enjoy them!

Tape on frames

Have you taped up the sides of frames before? Here are some I worked on and wrote about a million years ago (ok in 2009) on IKEA frames – check it out, you may like that easy idea too!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in diy on February 12, 2013

1. Mnêmosunê commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 4:57pm

Oh I love this idea ! My frames are a little bit old, it could be a good thing to decorate them…
    Mnêmosunê´s last blog post ..De nouveaux produits dans ma salle de bains #1

2. Giò commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 5:08pm

It’s very easy and fun to do. I’ll try it soon!!! Thanks
    xoxo
    Giò´s last blog post ..Stylish masks

3. R. Joyce commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:06pm

I love simple projects that make a big impact. This is now on my list. Still loving the bright colors.
    R. Joyce´s last blog post ..Closet Home Office: The Big Reveal

4. Mandy DeTurk commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:10pm

oooo I love this idea so much, paint is sometimes a big commitment issue and this takes all the worry out of it. Thanks so much for sharing your inspiration no matter how small or simple, it’s all great!

5. janika R commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:15pm

I will try it soon. Thanks for sharing..
    janika R´s last blog post ..Quotable

6. Catherine commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:24pm

Cool idea… I love your wall art vignette! :)

Catherine
    InspireBohemia

7. Punctuation Mark commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:29pm

I love this idea to spice up my ikea frames!
    Punctuation Mark´s last blog post ..A Masked Celebration

8. Kulwant S. commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:50pm

Its wonderful to try and fun too . Thanks for sharing with us :)

9. Lauren commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 6:57pm

Last week, I became the proud owner of my first four rolls of washi tape (I’m sure there are many more to come!), so this project comes at just the right time- can’t wait to try it!
    Lauren´s last blog post ..fancy thumb tacks

10. Lauren commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 7:22pm

Love the simple DIY ideas! Keep it up. I find I’m more often in the mood for something quick and simple, so I love the inspiration.

11. Tracy commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 8:32pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Picture perfect!
    Tracy´s last blog post ..Inspirational Adornment – What Lies Within You by MakingHappy

12. bmerry commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 8:57pm

Ha! I was just doing this to some frames in my bedroom.
    bmerry´s last blog post ..I fell in love…

13. Katja/ Neovia house commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 9:08pm

I love simple ideas like this one! Not too much effort, but with a great difference! Tape is one of the best DIY materials ever – so versatile, and it is fun to see how many ideas people actually can come up with! This idea was new to me, so thanks for sharing, will definitely try it out!
    Katja/ Neovia house´s last blog post ..A Virtual Shopping Tour

14. Tazim @BeingTazim.com commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 9:22pm

I really enjoy these simple DIY projects. I don’t often have the supplies, patience or time for larger projects – but these easy ideas are definitely do-able and inspirational, too!
    Tazim @BeingTazim.com´s last blog post ..Where To Find Fun Things To Do In Any City

15. Isabelle commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 9:37pm

Hallo Holly,

dein Buch stand gerade bei der aktuellen Folge von “2 Broke Girls” im Regal hinter dem Party-Manager, Glückwunsch!

Lieben Gruß, Isabelle

16. Andreea commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 9:39pm

Great ideas, but what caught my eye was the 1 Romanian lei banknote above the last frame. Where do you have that from? :)

17. Bettina commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 9:53pm

Hello, great idea! I like the picture wall. I want to change mine and your post comes just the right time! Sorry for my English, I come from Germany. :-)
    Greetings
    Bettina
    Bettina´s last blog post ..Valentinstag

18. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:02pm

@Andreea – One of my friends in German school last year is from Romania and she gave it to me because I thought it was so beautiful!

19. Ada (new york) commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:06pm

Great idea! So crazy how simplicity (no paint used) can be so beautiful. I’m eyeballing my photo frames now. THANKS Holly for sharing this.
    Ada (new york)´s last blog post ..Tasty Tuesdays | No coffee, No workee!

20. seabluelee commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:09pm

That’s a great idea and totally share-worthy! Thanks for the inspiration.
    seabluelee´s last blog post ..Getting Over It

21. kalanicut commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:19pm

Easy & fun are the best DIYs for me. A lot of DIYs are just way too time consuming, complicated and unnecessary for my life. And I wonder how much toll it takes on spouses and kids to spend days prepping & documenting complicated DIYs. This is something fun I could do in a few minutes that would make a spicy change and brighten things up. Keep sharing your ideas Holly. There are other places we can go if we want to know how to built a 4-story children’s playhouse out of a tree we’ve grown from seed, cut down, planed and painted (of course by making our own paint!) ourselves. wink, wink. We love you just the way you are and we <3 ideas that mean something to you.

22. Chelly @ Color Digs commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:58pm

Love, love, love! Such a fabulous idea! I’m always painting picture frames when the mood strikes me. As a matter of fact, I paint almost anything sitting still… if the mood strikes. I’m addicted to color and this is a great way to feed my addiction. I’m almost embarrassed to say that I don’t own the first roll of washi tape. But today ~ I am on the hunt for all colors and patterns. Who knows, my paint brushes just may git a little jealous! Thanks for sharing such a GREAT idea, Holly!
    Chelly @ Color Digs´s last blog post ..Tiny Table. Colossal Color.

23. delane commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 11:01pm

What a cool idea!!!

I gotta try this!

24. Kristin Johnsen commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 11:25pm

This was totally fun. And I’m in live with your tiny little yellow chair perched on your frame! Omg how cute!

25. Vero Palazzo commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 4:06am

Great idea! I’ll do it, for sure!

26. Stephne commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 9:54am

I think even your smallest ideas are worthy of posting, original thought is very thin on the ground! x

27. Traveling Mama commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 10:34am

I did the same thing to a mirror I bought at Ikea! That is what I love about washi tape… the possibilities are endless!
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..budget friendly {valentines} gifts

28. anastasia commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:07am

this is a great idea – thanks for sharing Holly!

29. Guðrún Vald. commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:37am

I love this idea! It is so simple and fantastic, I have never thought of this but I am so trying it today! :)
    Guðrún Vald.´s last blog post ..Selje náttborð frá IKEA

30. ishtar commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 12:14pm

I always look forward to your personal posts!!! they are my favorites!!!!!!
    This DIY might be simple, but really lovely!!!
    and your photos are oh so inspiring!!!!! : )
    thank you for sharing and taking the time to put it together!
    ishtar´s last blog post ..Colorful washis and snail mail ♥ Coloridos washis y cartas

31. Hatice commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 12:23pm

Hi Holly,

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing..And my ego keeps telling me it is nor worth to share basic and small ideas..But they are the most precious! I have immediately applied your idea, but I have sticked the washi tape on the front face of the frames!

I was just thinking of spicing up my two cheap frames..So your post came just in time!

XOXO
    Hatice´s last blog post ..Duvar Kagitlari Nasil Uygulanir?

32. decor8 commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 12:24pm

33. Mimi commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 1:06pm

Love this project. I own a boutique flower shop and sometimes at the end of s long day, I just want to do a bit of crafting that doesn’t involve flkwers. Simple projects like this one can be done quickly with a sense of having achieved something. That’s why I love finding projects designed for kids that can be made sophisticated by the choice of materials and colors. Keep up the good work
    Mimi´s last blog post ..4 Secrets for Adding Immediate Sophistication to a Room with Hydrangeas

34. Rekha commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 1:29pm

I love this idea! I want to reframe some of my wall art too and I think this will be an easy and fun way to do it! Thanks for sharing!

35. Hatice commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 2:28pm

@decor8: Exactly like this Holly ;)
    Hatice´s last blog post ..Duvar Kagitlari Nasil Uygulanir?

36. Alice commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 4:18pm

Simple but genius! I’m the kind of person that would think about the paint for hours too…will I, won’t I, etc…and then end up not doing anything! So this is the perfect solution

37. JerryJ commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 7:34pm

A variation on how art students use electrical tape to “frame” their projects for class. Very nice!

38. Megan commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 8:06pm

I am loving Washi tape at the moment! Never though of using it like this though :)
    Megan´s last blog post ..One Tuesday morning..

39. mami commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:02pm

where did you get the frame? I’ve been looking for simple frame like this!!!

40. decor8 commented
    February 14th, 2013 at 12:31pm

@mami – They were custom made for the paintings by the artist, Jennifer Davis.

41. Jane commented
    February 14th, 2013 at 1:17pm

Oh Holly, the simplest ideas are always the best. Brilliant – thanks for sharing. Hmm, like I need another excuse to buy some more washi tape!

I just used it to cover some boxes like you did the other day and am delighted with the results.

And I’m so delighted to see my little creation perched up there – that makes me very happy! Thankyou – I appreciate that Valentine’s Day * gift* ?. J x

42. Lela commented
    February 14th, 2013 at 6:28pm

You’re totally right, I never thought of that and think it looks awsome!
    Keep posting you little DIY ideas, please
    Lela´s last blog post ..Golden glory: Updated wedges

43. Angela commented
    February 15th, 2013 at 2:24am

Great idea looks lovely!

44. Chrystina commented
    February 15th, 2013 at 4:03am

I absolutely love these. Now I just need to figure out how to hang pictures into really old sheet rock..
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..family matters valentines

45. Erika commented
    February 15th, 2013 at 7:01am

Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing.

46. Geraldine commented
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:15pm

Your frame looks lovely Holly. Few weeks back whilst sitting in my NHS office, I was looking at those hideous clinical shelves. Washi tape in hand, I lined them and now what a transformation. Makes sitting at my desk whist doing my admin session so much more pleasant. My daughter and her friends will be selling washi tape for charity, comic relief, so we will have to now think of ways to decorate the stall, going to use some of your past great ideas for decorating xx
    Geraldine´s last blog post ..Arabia Finland is 140 years old

47. Alma commented
    February 16th, 2013 at 7:26am

Such a nice and easy to do DIY. And I love the fact that you have a 1 RON bancknote tucked behind the frame. I’m from Romania, so I’m a little proud of my old lion. Silly, I know.

48. Judy commented
    February 16th, 2013 at 9:48am

I love this idea. Paint gets expensive and messy. I’m not too familiar with this tape. Is it easy to remove so you can change the colour?

49. Lena commented
    February 16th, 2013 at 1:19pm

Please don’t stop writing easy diy posts! Honestly – my pinterest board is full of beautiful and elaborate diy projects. Have I done any of them? Um, no…. I like to look at them and dream of the day when I WILL do them, though. Ideas like this one are the ones that make you get up from your desk rightaway, grab the supplies and start getting creative. Fun!
    Lena´s last blog post ..BLOGS I DIG: A #BLOGHUG

50. Elena commented
    February 18th, 2013 at 2:56pm

Thank you Holly! i´m gonna try this, i´ve taped shelves edges before, but not frames, it is so easy and they look great.
    xx

51. Sarah commented
    February 18th, 2013 at 5:49pm

Wow, it’s so simple and fun to do
    I’ll try it. Thanks for the idea
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Simple Tips to Keep Fresh Flowers Alive Longer

52. Hrandica commented
    February 18th, 2013 at 9:34pm

That is simple and great idea. It certainly cheer up the wall.
    Hrandica´s last blog post ..Črno belo na prste/ Black and white on fingers

53. Sabine commented
    February 18th, 2013 at 9:37pm

I love your easy DIYs. Maybe most of us have this little ideas, but I guess we all have different ones, therefore I think it’s great to share them. So thank you!
    Sabine´s last blog post ..The Small Things: Bird Watching

54. Denise commented
    February 20th, 2013 at 9:22am

Cooool idea! I will try it :)

55. Jordana @WhiteCabana commented
    February 20th, 2013 at 6:12pm

An easy way to add a little neon into a space. Clever.

56. Denise commented
    February 21st, 2013 at 6:31pm

Charming and I love the POP of colour! ;)

57. Smaranda Cheregi commented
    March 11th, 2013 at 11:08am

It was fun to see you have a Romanian bill on top of one of your frames :) I live there, so it drew my attention very fast :)