DIY

Easy DIY: Taped Frames

February 12, 2013

I do lots of crazy stuff around my studio that I don’t always is that DIY story worthy if you know what I mean. Most bloggers put so much effort and hours into their DIY posts but me… Oh gosh, I wing it and hope it doesn’t flop! I know you guys must be thinking I’m nuts for posting this extra simple DIY stuff but I have to write about things that matter to me first, you know? I like it, it makes me happy. And then I just sorta hope they matter to you and give you some creative ideas, too.

Easy DIY: Taped Frames

Today’s DIY is the perfect example. It’s not elaborate at ALL but maybe you’ve never thought of it or tried it so it may be a fun new idea to you. This idea came when I was looking at some artwork in neon lucite frames and thought that I would love to have neon frames in my studio… So I went out and bought some paint and was seriously all geared up to paint wooden frames when I thought – what if I paint the frames made for my original pieces of art (I collect lots from Jennifer Davis) and then, in 6 months, I hate the frames? It’s not easy to custom frame all over again or even affordably.

Easy DIY: Taped Frames

Then I wondered if certain colors would even look good. Gosh, why was I so scared to paint a stupid frame? Again, I think it had to do with how these were custom made for my artwork by Jennifer herself and I really cherish the originals and don’t want to ruin them. Then I though, “Oh whatever, loosen up” and  pulled out my paint. Suddenly I thought WAIT. I walked over to my stacks and stacks of washi tape, grabbed a roll in the same color as my paint pot and taped up only the sides of my frame to see how the color looked before I committed to painting. BUT a cool thing happened. The tape works just fine. In fact, if you lay the tape on perfectly straight, cut it with scissors perfectly straight on each end and do two layers without any overlap AT ALL it actually looks like paint – even when you stand pretty close. A bit relieved, I put the paint away, hung the first piece and feel that sudden DIY glow – you know, when you do something that wasn’t an epic fail. Ha!

Easy DIY: Taped Frames

I sometimes think my random little ideas don’t matter, that everyone else must be doing this stuff too, but then it dawned on me that often it’s the little easy things that we overlook and miss out on trying. This makes me want to keep sharing my mini projects. I hope that you enjoy them!

Easy DIY: Taped Frames

Have you taped up the sides of frames before? Here are some I worked on and wrote about a million years ago (ok in 2009) on IKEA frames – check it out, you may like that easy idea too!

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

57 Comments

• Reply Mnêmosunê February 12, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Oh I love this idea ! My frames are a little bit old, it could be a good thing to decorate them…

• Reply Giò February 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm

It’s very easy and fun to do. I’ll try it soon!!! Thanks
    xoxo

• Reply R. Joyce February 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I love simple projects that make a big impact. This is now on my list. Still loving the bright colors.

• Reply Mandy DeTurk February 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm

oooo I love this idea so much, paint is sometimes a big commitment issue and this takes all the worry out of it. Thanks so much for sharing your inspiration no matter how small or simple, it’s all great!

• Reply janika R February 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I will try it soon. Thanks for sharing..

• Reply Catherine February 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Cool idea… I love your wall art vignette! :)

Catherine
    InspireBohemia

• Reply Punctuation Mark February 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I love this idea to spice up my ikea frames!

• Reply Kulwant S. February 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Its wonderful to try and fun too . Thanks for sharing with us :)

• Reply Lauren February 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Last week, I became the proud owner of my first four rolls of washi tape (I’m sure there are many more to come!), so this project comes at just the right time- can’t wait to try it!

• Reply Lauren February 12, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Love the simple DIY ideas! Keep it up. I find I’m more often in the mood for something quick and simple, so I love the inspiration.

• Reply Tracy February 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Picture perfect!

• Reply bmerry February 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Ha! I was just doing this to some frames in my bedroom.

• Reply Katja/ Neovia house February 12, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I love simple ideas like this one! Not too much effort, but with a great difference! Tape is one of the best DIY materials ever – so versatile, and it is fun to see how many ideas people actually can come up with! This idea was new to me, so thanks for sharing, will definitely try it out!

• Reply Tazim @BeingTazim.com February 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I really enjoy these simple DIY projects. I don’t often have the supplies, patience or time for larger projects – but these easy ideas are definitely do-able and inspirational, too!

• Reply Isabelle February 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Hallo Holly,

dein Buch stand gerade bei der aktuellen Folge von “2 Broke Girls” im Regal hinter dem Party-Manager, Glückwunsch!

Lieben Gruß, Isabelle

• Reply Andreea February 12, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Great ideas, but what caught my eye was the 1 Romanian lei banknote above the last frame. Where do you have that from? :)

• Reply decor8 February 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm

@Andreea – One of my friends in German school last year is from Romania and she gave it to me because I thought it was so beautiful!

• Reply Bettina February 12, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Hello, great idea! I like the picture wall. I want to change mine and your post comes just the right time! Sorry for my English, I come from Germany. :-)
    Greetings
    Bettina

• Reply Ada (new york) February 12, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Great idea! So crazy how simplicity (no paint used) can be so beautiful. I’m eyeballing my photo frames now. THANKS Holly for sharing this.

• Reply seabluelee February 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

That’s a great idea and totally share-worthy! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply kalanicut February 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Easy & fun are the best DIYs for me. A lot of DIYs are just way too time consuming, complicated and unnecessary for my life. And I wonder how much toll it takes on spouses and kids to spend days prepping & documenting complicated DIYs. This is something fun I could do in a few minutes that would make a spicy change and brighten things up. Keep sharing your ideas Holly. There are other places we can go if we want to know how to built a 4-story children’s playhouse out of a tree we’ve grown from seed, cut down, planed and painted (of course by making our own paint!) ourselves. wink, wink. We love you just the way you are and we <3 ideas that mean something to you.

• Reply Chelly @ Color Digs February 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Love, love, love! Such a fabulous idea! I’m always painting picture frames when the mood strikes me. As a matter of fact, I paint almost anything sitting still… if the mood strikes. I’m addicted to color and this is a great way to feed my addiction. I’m almost embarrassed to say that I don’t own the first roll of washi tape. But today ~ I am on the hunt for all colors and patterns. Who knows, my paint brushes just may git a little jealous! Thanks for sharing such a GREAT idea, Holly!

• Reply delane February 12, 2013 at 11:01 pm

What a cool idea!!!

I gotta try this!

• Reply Kristin Johnsen February 12, 2013 at 11:25 pm

This was totally fun. And I’m in live with your tiny little yellow chair perched on your frame! Omg how cute!

• Reply Vero Palazzo February 13, 2013 at 4:06 am

Great idea! I’ll do it, for sure!

• Reply Stephne February 13, 2013 at 9:54 am

I think even your smallest ideas are worthy of posting, original thought is very thin on the ground! x

• Reply Traveling Mama February 13, 2013 at 10:34 am

I did the same thing to a mirror I bought at Ikea! That is what I love about washi tape… the possibilities are endless!

• Reply anastasia February 13, 2013 at 11:07 am

this is a great idea – thanks for sharing Holly!

• Reply Guðrún Vald. February 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

I love this idea! It is so simple and fantastic, I have never thought of this but I am so trying it today! :)

• Reply ishtar February 13, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I always look forward to your personal posts!!! they are my favorites!!!!!!
    This DIY might be simple, but really lovely!!!
    and your photos are oh so inspiring!!!!! : )
    thank you for sharing and taking the time to put it together!

• Reply Hatice February 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Hi Holly,

That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing..And my ego keeps telling me it is nor worth to share basic and small ideas..But they are the most precious! I have immediately applied your idea, but I have sticked the washi tape on the front face of the frames!

I was just thinking of spicing up my two cheap frames..So your post came just in time!

XOXO

• Reply Mimi February 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Love this project. I own a boutique flower shop and sometimes at the end of s long day, I just want to do a bit of crafting that doesn’t involve flkwers. Simple projects like this one can be done quickly with a sense of having achieved something. That’s why I love finding projects designed for kids that can be made sophisticated by the choice of materials and colors. Keep up the good work

• Reply Rekha February 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I love this idea! I want to reframe some of my wall art too and I think this will be an easy and fun way to do it! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Hatice February 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm

@decor8: Exactly like this Holly ;)

• Reply Alice February 13, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Simple but genius! I’m the kind of person that would think about the paint for hours too…will I, won’t I, etc…and then end up not doing anything! So this is the perfect solution

• Reply JerryJ February 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm

A variation on how art students use electrical tape to “frame” their projects for class. Very nice!

• Reply Megan February 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I am loving Washi tape at the moment! Never though of using it like this though :)

• Reply mami February 13, 2013 at 11:02 pm

where did you get the frame? I’ve been looking for simple frame like this!!!

• Reply decor8 February 14, 2013 at 12:31 pm

@mami – They were custom made for the paintings by the artist, Jennifer Davis.

• Reply Jane February 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Oh Holly, the simplest ideas are always the best. Brilliant – thanks for sharing. Hmm, like I need another excuse to buy some more washi tape!

I just used it to cover some boxes like you did the other day and am delighted with the results.

And I’m so delighted to see my little creation perched up there – that makes me very happy! Thankyou – I appreciate that Valentine’s Day * gift* ?. J x

• Reply Lela February 14, 2013 at 6:28 pm

You’re totally right, I never thought of that and think it looks awsome!
    Keep posting you little DIY ideas, please

• Reply Angela February 15, 2013 at 2:24 am

Great idea looks lovely!

• Reply Chrystina February 15, 2013 at 4:03 am

I absolutely love these. Now I just need to figure out how to hang pictures into really old sheet rock..

• Reply Erika February 15, 2013 at 7:01 am

Fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Geraldine February 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Your frame looks lovely Holly. Few weeks back whilst sitting in my NHS office, I was looking at those hideous clinical shelves. Washi tape in hand, I lined them and now what a transformation. Makes sitting at my desk whist doing my admin session so much more pleasant. My daughter and her friends will be selling washi tape for charity, comic relief, so we will have to now think of ways to decorate the stall, going to use some of your past great ideas for decorating xx

• Reply Alma February 16, 2013 at 7:26 am

Such a nice and easy to do DIY. And I love the fact that you have a 1 RON bancknote tucked behind the frame. I’m from Romania, so I’m a little proud of my old lion. Silly, I know.

• Reply Judy February 16, 2013 at 9:48 am

I love this idea. Paint gets expensive and messy. I’m not too familiar with this tape. Is it easy to remove so you can change the colour?

• Reply Lena February 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Please don’t stop writing easy diy posts! Honestly – my pinterest board is full of beautiful and elaborate diy projects. Have I done any of them? Um, no…. I like to look at them and dream of the day when I WILL do them, though. Ideas like this one are the ones that make you get up from your desk rightaway, grab the supplies and start getting creative. Fun!

• Reply Elena February 18, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Thank you Holly! i´m gonna try this, i´ve taped shelves edges before, but not frames, it is so easy and they look great.
    xx

• Reply Sarah February 18, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Wow, it’s so simple and fun to do
    I’ll try it. Thanks for the idea

• Reply Hrandica February 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

That is simple and great idea. It certainly cheer up the wall.

• Reply Sabine February 18, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I love your easy DIYs. Maybe most of us have this little ideas, but I guess we all have different ones, therefore I think it’s great to share them. So thank you!

• Reply Denise February 20, 2013 at 9:22 am

Cooool idea! I will try it :)

• Reply Jordana @WhiteCabana February 20, 2013 at 6:12 pm

An easy way to add a little neon into a space. Clever.

• Reply Denise February 21, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Charming and I love the POP of colour! ;)

• Reply Smaranda Cheregi March 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

It was fun to see you have a Romanian bill on top of one of your frames :) I live there, so it drew my attention very fast :)