Monday: What’s On My Mind

Okay so here we are, a new week, how are you feeling about that? Energized? Not motivated? I’m a little of both because the lingering gray weather has made January and February super duper depressing. Blizzards, ice, tons of snow – totally fine by me – but wow, gray dark days with no sunlight for weeks and weeks?! How can the sun be so naughty? Why is he playing mean games? Not nice, sun! I will stop complaining now. It serves no good purpose but it is sometimes a little fun, right?

For Haus Maus

Let’s talk about me first, then you. I know, I know, me first. :) Yes so what I am doing? I ask myself this a lot lately because I am always doing so many little things and sometimes I wonder if all of the little projects add up and then I pause and say, Yes they do because well, they really do. Each little number is contributing to a combined total – the goal. For instance, today I am writing two articles, one for the beautiful Sweet Paul magazine (on decorating) and another for the inspirational new business magazine, Where Women Creates Business (on blogging). I’m also writing out my course materials for the upcoming Blog Boss e-class that kicks off March 1st! We have an amazing group of students and teachers for this class so I’m even more eager to get started with teaching. I always get nervous before school starts because I want to be the super cool teacher that all of the students love but I get a bit of stage fright! You’d think that after teaching for so many years both on and offline that I’d be super chill about it but nope, I’m shaky at my knees before the first day. As soon as day one begins though, I shoot off like a rocket and am absolutely comfortable.

I often wish this stage fright would disappear as I get older but it likes to stick around. I think it comes from always wanted to do my best and make people feel happy. I like to create Tiggers. Do you know who Tigger is? The fictional tiger in Winnie The Pooh? I want my students to have invisible springs on their feet for the four weeks that they spend in our virtual classroom – bouncy, smiling, happy, energized and full of absolute glee because they are doing something great for themselves.

Mollie Makes

On top of work stuff there is also play stuff. I’m enjoying a new crochet class that I’ve just started (next I will learn knitting) at Stricklounge, so now everything in magazines like Mollie Makes is finally starting to make sense to me. I sew already, but when it comes to needlepoint, crochet, knitting, etc. I’m helpless yet determined to change that, so it is time to learn new stuff. I want to learn how to make the pretty project from Emma Lamb (she is so talented) in the most recent issue, have you seen it yet? I am calling 2013 my Learning Year because I will take a ton of classes and throw myself into really deep water because I have this craving to learn. I am also learning more about making videos and considering how I will apply this newfound hobby to my business. Hmmmm.I do not want to allow myself to have this comfort career. I need challenge.

Now it’s your turn. What are YOU doing?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on February 25, 2013

1. Esther commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 4:29pm

I just love crocheting :-) I may have to do some tonight. I have just started my business as a freelance journalist and (web)editor, so I am just working on making my website, portfolio and I am gathering the courage to contact magazines and offer them my writing skills. It’s terribly scary ;-)
    Have a great week,
    Esther.
    Esther´s last blog post ..Back from (crafty) Koblenz

2. Jocelyn Casey commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 4:48pm

Dear Holly,

I love this post. I think I need to be creative and start a new way of responding to your work other than “I love it” but it is the truth. Your humbleness and realness are what draws me to your work. I admire you for your hard work and your genuine principles. I am so excited for March 1st! I too am a forever student, always wanting to learn more and then share it with others. Thank you for being you and I just know the sun will come out tomorrow. For now, I am sending you some from Arizona!

Warmly,

Jocelyn Casey

3. Lauren commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 4:48pm

I love learning too! Right now I am working on a new spring line of bow ties, finishing up some men’s lunch bags, and making my first quilt that involves circles. I always feel super inspired to learn new things at the beginning of the year, so I’m taking an online business class right now, which is so great.
    Lauren´s last blog post ..the best parts of the weekend

4. Thelma commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 4:50pm

It’s a bit of a gray day here in NY as well, and I’m really ready for some sunshine! I’m thinking about Spain, and how I can manage to get my family there on vacation w/o breaking the bank. AND, I’m thinking about how to fully enter the world of social media to promote my new business!

5. Andreia commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 4:57pm

So happy for you Holly! Nice to know we’re learning crochet and will be knitting too! You’ll see you’ll love it!

Happy week!

6. Chiara commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:08pm

I’m happy to read that you are now busy with crochet&knitting :) It’s pure fun playing with yarns and colours. Perfect to brighten up a cold gray day. Look what we do here in Italy with yarns and colours http://www.gomitolis.it.
    Maybe a little bit of inspiration for all crochet&knitting lovers….
    I can’t wait to be in your class next week!
    Chiara

7. Naomi Jacob commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:21pm

I’m not quite sure, actually! My husband and I just moved to India 5 days ago and we’re still recovering from jet lag… Seems like productivity is at a standstill at the moment. As soon as I’ve got that under control, though, I’m going to be a busy bee setting up a new home, adjusting to a new culture and starting to design and make furniture – which is ultimately what I came here to do!

xo Naomi / http://www.BeReadBravely.com
    Naomi Jacob´s last blog post ..this is not a dream

8. MelodyJ commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:33pm

I’m learning art journaling. People say that that making art journals so makes you more creative. I’m hoping it helps me. I love learning new to me art/craft techniques.

9. Anna Julie commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:45pm

Hey Holly,

I am so exited for the course. And I am really sure that we will have a lot of fun. So don’t be nervous, it will be great.
    I hope that I will have enough time to study because on March 1st we will move in our new flat.
    Have a wonderful week.
    See you on Friday ;)
    Anna Julie
    Anna Julie´s last blog post ..Yoko Ono in Frankfurt

10. annaofgreengable commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:51pm

I love your links about knitting! I just learned to quilt, and it is my goal to be able to sew well, thread the bobbin by myself, and get a sewing machine by the end of the year. I feel so empowered by my new talent! I am also dying to learn how to knit, and work on my photography. Oh, and also work on my blog to document all this!

xo annaofgreengables
    annaofgreengable´s last blog post ..Palm Springs

11. Tara Nair commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:55pm

Hi Holly!! Since I am a beginner in this field (of Interior Designing), I have set many milestones for coming months. Growing high in this business is now a challenge for me. But I am glad to have the question you raised to self (“What I am doing?”). I will do the same to keep myself on the toes :)

12. annaofgreengable commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 5:56pm

Thank you so much for the links on knitting! I just learned to quilt, and my goal is to be able to do it well enought to justify buying a sewing machine. I also want to learn to knit, work on my photography, and my blog to document it all!

xo annaofgreengable
    annaofgreengable´s last blog post ..Palm Springs

13. Beccy commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 6:00pm

What a lovely positive post, I’m teaching myself how to renovate old wooden furniture, upcycle I guess. Its trial and error but very satisfying when you get good results!! Learning is inspiring…

14. Marilyn commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 6:08pm

While I am so looking forward to the start of your course this Friday, overall I have been in a creative rut late. I haven’t made anything new for my Etsy shop and I don’t want to force it so I’m kind of just waiting. I have been crocheting little things here and there just to get better at it. :)
    Marilyn´s last blog post ..Feature Sponsor: The Anecdote of My Life

15. Juliette commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 6:11pm

I’m sewing the most darling stuff for my nieces and am going to be brave and try sewing something for myself using some lovely gray lace that just arrived in the mail. =)

I’m also trying to redesign my blog myself, but that’s not going as well as I’d hoped. =/ I have a feeling I’ll be doing a little template shopping soon, ha!

16. Candi commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 6:24pm

I am energized and a little hyped…okay, I am supper excited to be working one of my new collections. The creative flow is amazing…while I am working , I keep getting new ideas for future pieces that I am making loose sketches and notes of in the sketch pad by my side.
    I hope the sun come out for you soon and until it does….I am sending lots of sunshine from Los Angeles!
    Thanks for sharing.

xo candi
    Candi´s last blog post ..Raw Crystal Point Stud Earrings – Tibetan Quartz – Sterling Silver Ear Posts – Mineral Jewelry by NaturalGlam

17. Valerie commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 6:45pm

For me 2013, is the year that I push myself out of my comfort zone, so I’m to try and do new things. I learned to knit and crochet not too long ago and am currently finishing up a bag. Sounds like you have a lot of great stuff on your plate!

18. janika R commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 6:55pm

Amazing and Sincere post….Just loved it..

Right now I am learning too and Working on my blog giving shape to my blog post Ideas. 2013 is learning Year for me too..
    janika R´s last blog post ..Just Thinking….

19. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 7:17pm

I know, this is always the time of year where I am sick to death of all the cold and gloom. Longing for spring but, trying to just be. I love that you are so motivated hunnie, it is amazing all that you do and accomplish. It is funny that you have stage fright because you are so very good at what you do.So encouraging and generous. You need not worry an ounce but, I know how that is. I have been soaring extra high these past few months by going back to school to become a metal smith and just recently got all set up in my house so, I can make things at home. I love learning this craft and I LOVE creating things. It makes me so happy so, that is everything. Plus, I think it generates even more creativity in my house. My girls see me working and then that inspires them. It is all good. Here is to more learning and how it opens your life up and lets it soar! :)
    xoxo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things & little moments

20. Julie commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 7:19pm

What am I doing????? Talking myself into taking Blog Boss. “go for it Julie” Its okay that you just took 2 e-classes” You need to invest in yourself Julie” “You need to spend money to make money” …….How do you think I’m doing Holly :)

21. Geraldine commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 7:56pm

Hi Holly, you must be disguising the stage fright well because as far as I’m concerned, you are a natural teacher, so calm and inspiring. The crochet looks interesting and I can’t wait to see when you have finished the project. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m very crafty. Just finished supporting my daughter and her friends in their bid for charity fundraising. That felt good, perhaps that will be my goal, to do more charity ventures. Looking forward to seeing you in London xx
    Geraldine´s last blog post ..Comic Relief 2013

22. Francine commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 7:59pm

How funny, because I am also (re)learning knitting and crochet, and I’m currently taking a video making class too! I love learning new creative things, and this is the first year since my son was born that I have the time and the energy to throw myself into new things. I also want to do some jewelry making and art journaling as the year progresses. I’ve decided to save quilting for 2014. :)
    Francine´s last blog post ..Sister Sketch Reveal! | You ♥ Paint

23. huiting commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 8:40pm

You have a beautiful blog here. Life everything in your blog. Very creative and inspiring too. I have to say i have great time here. Would you mind if i add a link in my blog? I love beautiful blogs that cheer me up! Luv~
    huiting´s last blog post ..Instabadges

24. Anita commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 8:58pm

Thanks for the bright, sunny post.
    In the UK its been a grey drizzly Monday!
    I suppose this year is also my learning, experimenting and growing year. I’m doing the one little word course, yesterday I went on a basket making day and made a wicker birdhouse. This morning a sushi making workshop and I’ve got a hat making workshop booked next month.
    I’ve also just started to learn how to read tarot cards
    I’m loving the new experiences

25. KMP Modern commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 9:04pm

Crafts are fantastic for winter, especially if you live in a really cold climate. I think that’s why traditionally people crafted and worked on small projects during the cold months. Join a crafting or handiwork group. It’s great fun and you get to chat while working on your projects. Thanks for posting!

26. JerryJ commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 9:16pm

I love art journaling!

27. Margarida commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 11:43pm

For me 2013 is the year to achieve some goals. One has been accomplished – to sell some of my items on etsy so I could pay for the Blog Boss e-course (by the way, should I have received any sort of confirmation by e-mail or the paypal receipt is enough?); Second is on it’s way: to loose some weight I’ve gained over the past two years; Number three will be done when I come over to Portugal for Easter :-)

At last…I’m on crochet mood as well :-) I’m making some collars which I expect to sell in order to accomplish another 2013 goal!
    Margarida´s last blog post ..All I can think of is…collars!

28. Roseanna commented
    February 26th, 2013 at 12:44am

I am working on some new softies….crocheting on recycled bottles and creating various new stitchings…
    Roseanna´s last blog post ..Faux Taxidermy…

29. Blenda commented
    February 26th, 2013 at 1:47am

Hi Holly,
    You are doing so many great things! Keep it up and keep inspiring us to challenge ourselves…we love you for it.
    Take it from a crocheter/knitter since the age of 5, you’ll be so glad you learned how…the act of crocheting and knitting is so meditatively calming once you get the hang of it. Have fun with your new hobby. xoblenda
    Blenda´s last blog post ..Announcing A Winter Online Art Sale

30. Kate commented
    February 26th, 2013 at 2:43am

Throwing yourself into deep water is one of the best ways to learn. Good luck with everything on your plate!
    Kate´s last blog post ..For Norway

31. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:00am

Photography!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Insta-Friday…

32. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    February 26th, 2013 at 6:00am

Photography!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Insta-Friday…

33. Fi Hocking commented
    February 26th, 2013 at 12:36pm

Hi Holly,
    My big learning curve starts on Friday and to tell the truth my knees are knocking together with trepidation that my humble little attempt at a blog so far will be up to it (me as well)! I have got out my knitting needles to calm my nerves before Friday, only 2 more sleeps to go!
    x
    Fi Hocking´s last blog post ..Blog Boss

34. decor8 commented
    February 26th, 2013 at 1:51pm

@Fi Hocking – You will have so much fun, don’t worry!!!

35. lei commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 11:54pm

it sounds like you are having a lot of fun. :) i am assisting a set designer at two theaters in two different cities (portland, or and cincinnati, oh) and it’s been great to travel and work! i am missing working on my blog though (i didn’t have my laptop with me on the first trip) so i hope to get back onto that. :)