Easy DIY: Paper Flowers & Painted Tacks

Hello everyone! How are you doing today? We have tons of sunshine and warmer temps so I’m feeling quite energized and ready to welcome in Spring. I thought today I would show a super easy project that I put together for you last month – I’ve been waiting to share it when it felt more appropriate for the season so now that March is here let’s think about Springtime decorating! This is a very quick and easy way to make paper flowers that you can tack all over your mood board or wall, or you can replace the thumb tack centers with a button or a badge or even a simple paper circle center in a complementary color and glue them to gifts instead of bows or you can make really large ones to put all over your walls for party decor. I’ve been excited lately about origami paper – no clue what brought that on – but I’m suddenly finding it gorgeous for the season so I’ve used sheets of it to make the flowers. Are you ready to see what I’ve come up with? I hope that you like it!

Flowers & Tacks DIY

Step 1: Grab some metal tacks and paint the tops with 2-3 coats of your favorite nail polish color – let dry – I left mine out overnight.
Step 2: Fold origami paper (or paper that is perfectly square) in half, then half again so you have a small square. Cut into the square to create your flower using scissors. Petals do not need to be perfect, have fun and experiment. You can also free hand flowers if you like or you can cut out some cardboard templates in various sizes, trace around them, and cut out your flowers. This works if you want to create larger blooms as well.
Step 3: Cut into the paper to create different sizes of petals and mix different papers and patterns, too. I use 4-5 layers to create my flowers. You can even mix up texture – try incorporating newspaper (I love the look of Japanese and Chinese newspapers), crepe paper and tissue paper for some layers along with paper.
Step 4: Stack your petals to see how they look and rearrange or cut new ones as needed.

Flowers & Tacks DIY

Step 5: Grab your thumb tack and stick it through the center! Now you can tack anywhere you’d like! You can also glue the petals in the center as you layer them and top it with a button or a circle you’ve cut using paper and add them to gifts, lamp shades or where you think you could add a little flower power in your home!

Flowers & Tacks project

Easy and beautiful! I hope that you try making them and let me know how yours came out!

xo, Holly

(photos: holly becker/decor8)

Posted by decor8 in diy on March 05, 2013

1. Trinske Driscoll-Antonides commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:33pm

Oh, they’re gorgeous! I’ve been looking for how to make paper flowers myself as I wanted to make soft pink ones to bring the wall tree in my little girl’s room to blossom and a bit more girly: http://www.nordicroseblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/a-girly-room-for-little-girl-with-both.html
    I have some beautiful pink Farrow & Ball wallpaper samples, so I’ll get going. Thanks Holly!

2. Heather B commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:38pm

“Easy” & “Beautiful” are two of my favorite words when linked to “DIY.” Success!!! Those are lovely & absolutely make-able!!! I like the nail-polish on the tacks idea too, it must make a pretty durable, enamel-like finish. Thank you for sharing!
    Heather B´s last blog post ..Wonderful Reads – Kate Spade New York Things We Love

3. Andreia commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:39pm

So beautiful!

4. Rona commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:50pm

What a lovely blog post Holly about my very favourite topic…flowers!

I’ve printed it out so that I can make some when I’ve sourced some pretty paper :-).

Rona x
    Rona´s last blog post ..Interview with Vanessa Collins of The Flower Mill Cornwall

5. Lauren commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 2:51pm

I’m going to try some of these for the corners of my bulletin board! I was just introduced to the wonders of painting thumb tacks with nail polish recently when I made these fun decorative push pins: http://plumfieldshop.blogspot.com/2013/02/fancy-thumb-tacks.html
    I’m glad to have another idea to try the technique out with, as I already have plenty of tacks and nail polish :)
    Lauren´s last blog post ..a promising start to the week

6. Clare Taylor commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:03pm

Fun and fresh looking on this lovely sunny day. I’ll definitely share with my students. Thanks Cx
    Clare Taylor´s last blog post ..Sally Falkner’s Creature Workshop

7. Jessica commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:07pm

These are so lovely and quite easy to make! I love the idea of using them to spruce up the bulletin boards in my home office!

8. Frau Sued commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:09pm

This is such a nice idea! I will make some flowers with my kids. They’ll love it!
    Frau Sued´s last blog post ..Top of the Pops

9. Frau Sued commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:09pm

Frau Sued´s last blog post ..Top of the Pops

10. Jessica commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:10pm

So much fun! I love the idea of sprucing up the bulletin boards in my home office with these. Thanks for sharing!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Weekend Wrap Up

11. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:11pm

simple and gorgeous!
    the perfect DIY.
    Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Italian Royalty

12. Chloe Moon commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:14pm

What beautiful flowers to brighten up your day!! I have to remember this DIY! =)
    Chloe Moon´s last blog post ..Now She Knows…In The End, There Was Truth…A Relationship Post.

13. Juliette commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:16pm

I love it when you do these crafty-moment posts! They’re such a nice bit of personal Holly-pop that we can take over to our crafting desks. =)
    Juliette´s last blog post ..Spring Sewing Discount

14. Thelma commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:17pm

These are so cute! I’m going to add that to my project list and decorate (decor8!) my bulletin board! Thanks for the terrific idea!
    Thelma´s last blog post ..Baseball Printable Party Pack by ThelmaBs

15. decor8 commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:23pm

@Juliette thank you!!

16. Silky Hart commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 3:48pm

What a fresh and fun and easy project — thank you Holly for sharing this idea. I just bought some pretty papers so I’ll definitely be making some spring flowers.
    Silky Hart´s last blog post ..Vision Board Workshop

17. janika R commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 4:00pm

cute project….

janika R´s last blog post ..Hello Liberty..

18. tina commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 4:00pm

great tutorial! thank you!
    tina´s last blog post ..kutija srce

19. Beccy commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 6:02pm

These are lovely, what a great idea. So effective too!

20. Vicki commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 6:16pm

So simple and so cute!

21. Olivia commented
    March 5th, 2013 at 11:07pm

So cute! Love this!
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Green Design Taking it to work

22. Rachel commented
    March 6th, 2013 at 3:25am

Oh, i’m pinning this one! I love the idea of painting tacks with nail polish! what a cool tip:)
    Rachel´s last blog post ..My Etsy Picks: Spring Fling

23. Vero Palazzo commented
    March 6th, 2013 at 4:07pm

Very nice! I did some very similar with hand made felt. Like brooches or for the hair, they looked very nice. Greetings from Argentinas!

24. BohèmeCircus commented
    March 6th, 2013 at 4:55pm

I totally agree, the Japanese paper for origami is a great source of inspiration. The floral patterns in particular. And you are right, create some paper flowers, it’s always a very nice way to celebrate the spring !
    BohèmeCircus´s last blog post ..From Lily Moon

25. Mnêmosunê commented
    March 7th, 2013 at 11:17am

I’ll try this for sure, it seems to simple and beautiful !
    Instead of metal tacks, I’ll use brass frasteners (is the word correct ? In French we call this “attache parisienne”…), in order to fix it on gifts or journal.
    Thanks for the DIY Holly !
    Mnêmosunê´s last blog post ..The lovely dozen – Paquet #5

26. Veronica commented
    March 7th, 2013 at 8:45pm

Why haven’t I thought of painting metal tacks before? Such an adorable and easy DIY! Thanks for the idea.

The flowers are so cute and the metal tack is the perfect touch.
    Veronica´s last blog post ..Artwork that makes a BIG difference…

27. ombre commented
    March 8th, 2013 at 8:42am

merci c’est le printemps qui revient!!!
    ombre´s last blog post ..Nécessaire à couture brodé “petite fille”.

28. Rachel @CreativelyRedeemingHer commented
    March 9th, 2013 at 5:54pm

Love your inspiration board & all the natural light shining in! Makes me happy during my sick day Saturday~

Cheers!
    Rachel @CreativelyRedeemingHer´s last blog post ..Invitin’ YOU to my Spring Bash!!

29. Kris commented
    March 10th, 2013 at 2:19am

So cute, love them!
    Kris´s last blog post ..Flower Friday

30. jet commented
    March 10th, 2013 at 11:35am

beauriful and so pretty and lovely, well done. Love it!!!

31. Kris {Driven by Décor} commented
    March 11th, 2013 at 3:06pm

Darling! Will be perfect to use on the huge bulletin board that I’m creating for my daughters!
    Kris {Driven by Décor}´s last blog post ..House Hunting Update

32. Barb Dwyer commented
    April 7th, 2013 at 5:02pm

Wow! Such a technique you share on your blog. Thanks a lot for sharing this idea. I’ll use this idea for my room wall decor.

33. Anushka commented
    March 22nd, 2014 at 1:11pm

Beutiful!! I love it. Quite easy to make n very decorative… Splendid!