Decorating Tips

Craft Storage on IKEA RIBBA Ledges

March 13, 2013

I decided on Monday that I needed to freshen up the picture ledges from IKEA (called RIBBA) in my work studio for Spring so I did a little shuffle around. Now I’m displaying favorite books and prints, ribbons from House Doctor on wooden spools that I use frequently along with washi masking tape. I have more tape but store the extra rolls in the drawers of this cabinet so my shelves aren’t overloaded. I made the inspiration book you see by taping in papers and images from magazines that inspire me. Nothing complicated, just a casual display that is both pretty and practical in a corner of my work studio. Here are the results.

Craft Storage on IKEA RIBBA Ledges

Craft Storage on IKEA RIBBA Ledges

Craft Storage on IKEA RIBBA Ledges

Craft Storage on IKEA RIBBA Ledges

That pretty yellow butterfly on the doily and papers taped to my wall was made by Leslie Shewring. I made the paper flowers and used thumbtacks that I painted with nail polish as the centers (DIY here).

How do you display your pretty things in your work room?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply Tracy A. March 13, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I love IKEA! My studio space is being moved from our basement to a bright second floor room this spring – and a trip to IKEA for storage is first thing on the agenda!

• Reply Miss Drawingdream March 13, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Really beautiful! :-) The white wall with all these colourful things creates a great contrast :-) I like!

Miss Drawingdream

• Reply Mame March 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Please tell me where those drawers are from!!

• Reply decor8 March 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm

@Mame – Bought this from IKEA but it was only for a limited time – they no longer sell it.

• Reply Lauren March 13, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Lovely! I am dying to know where you got those wooden spools- did the ribbon come on them, or did you find them elsewhere?
    I have two Ikea shelves over my desk in my sewing room/office and love to display vases full of ribbon, colorful books, and beautiful boxes on them. Here are a few pictures: http://plumfieldshop.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-promising-start-to-week.html

• Reply decor8 March 13, 2013 at 2:36 pm

@Lauren – From House Doctor – linked in the post.

• Reply Chloe Moon March 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder go to Ikea! I think I’m going to buy some of these floating shelves because my home is so disorganized! Especially my artwork! I like how you didn’t hang the artwork but placed it on the shelf! Very pretty!

• Reply RockingStitch March 13, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Hi! I love this!! Especially the wooden spools/ ribbons!!

• Reply iHanna March 13, 2013 at 3:32 pm

You take the most amazing photos Holly, this is such a pretty display!

• Reply Gabrielle Treanor March 13, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I love the idea of picture ledges but didn’t know where they came from so thanks v much for this! I’d really like to try them in our home but my hubbie isn’t keen so I think I may show him how good they look in my studio and maybe then he’ll change his mind…
    We’re redecorating our home at the moment (I love scandi style so we’re going for white rooms with pops of colour in accessories and furnishings) so I’m soaking up all of your posts even more than usual :)

• Reply Brittni: Paper & Stitch March 13, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I saw some of these photos on your Instagram and they are lovely. I’m completely jealous of your washi tape collection.

• Reply ishtar March 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm

its always SO inspiring to take a peek into your studio! love these posts you share : )

• Reply Chrystina March 13, 2013 at 6:10 pm

What a beautiful work area. I’m redoing mine soon, so I definitely appreciate the inspiration!!

• Reply Emily Wignall March 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I love that you rotate the stuff on your ledges. Your collections all grouped together looks like art!

• Reply Lauren March 13, 2013 at 10:44 pm

@decor8: Thanks for clarifying! I checked House Doctor and saw the ribbon, but couldn’t tell if it came with the spools or not.

• Reply decor8 March 14, 2013 at 12:02 am

@Lauren – Yes it’s on spools! Pretty, right!?

• Reply Mnêmosunê March 14, 2013 at 10:58 am

I love your workspace, so bright and beautiful ! Lovely inspiration, thanks !

• Reply Constance Citalan March 14, 2013 at 11:02 am

I love how you displayed your Ikea Shelves. I also like to leave a book or magazine of a photo that inspires me out on a table. I have not thought about displaying on a shelf. Plus, I love your paper flowers you showed how to make in another post shown on your wall – and your chevron print bag!

• Reply Rachael March 14, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I just want to jump into your room! Looks fantastic!

• Reply julia March 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

very nice !!!

• Reply Tiffany June 14, 2014 at 3:36 am

Do you remember the name of the cabinet? Maybe I could find it on ebay if I had the name?