Craft Storage on IKEA RIBBA Ledges

I decided on Monday that I needed to freshen up the picture ledges from IKEA (called RIBBA) in my work studio for Spring so I did a little shuffle around. Now I’m displaying favorite books and prints, ribbons from House Doctor on wooden spools that I use frequently along with washi masking tape. I have more tape but store the extra rolls in the drawers of this cabinet so my shelves aren’t overloaded. I made the inspiration book you see by taping in papers and images from magazines that inspire me. Nothing complicated, just a casual display that is both pretty and practical in a corner of my work studio. Here are the results.

Craft storage

craft room storage as display

craft room storage as display

Craft storage

That pretty yellow butterfly on the doily and papers taped to my wall was made by Leslie Shewring. I made the paper flowers and used thumbtacks that I painted with nail polish as the centers (DIY here).

How do you display your pretty things in your work room?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on March 13, 2013

1. Tracy A. commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 1:39pm

I love IKEA! My studio space is being moved from our basement to a bright second floor room this spring – and a trip to IKEA for storage is first thing on the agenda!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post ..“This mad sea shows its teeth tonight. He curls his lip, he lies in wait, With lifted teeth, as if to bite!” ~ Joaquin Miller

2. Miss Drawingdream commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 1:39pm

Really beautiful! :-) The white wall with all these colourful things creates a great contrast :-) I like!

Miss Drawingdream
    Miss Drawingdream´s last blog post ..Regen – Rain

3. Mame commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 1:56pm

Please tell me where those drawers are from!!

4. Lauren commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:11pm

Lovely! I am dying to know where you got those wooden spools- did the ribbon come on them, or did you find them elsewhere?
    I have two Ikea shelves over my desk in my sewing room/office and love to display vases full of ribbon, colorful books, and beautiful boxes on them. Here are a few pictures: http://plumfieldshop.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-promising-start-to-week.html
    Lauren´s last blog post ..popcorn on the porch

5. Chloe Moon commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:14pm

Thanks for the reminder go to Ikea! I think I’m going to buy some of these floating shelves because my home is so disorganized! Especially my artwork! I like how you didn’t hang the artwork but placed it on the shelf! Very pretty!
    Chloe Moon´s last blog post ..52 Lists: Week 10 – List the Ways You Can Cleanse for Spring

6. decor8 commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:36pm

@Lauren – From House Doctor – linked in the post.

7. RockingStitch commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:37pm

Hi! I love this!! Especially the wooden spools/ ribbons!!

8. decor8 commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 2:37pm

@Mame – Bought this from IKEA but it was only for a limited time – they no longer sell it.

9. iHanna commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 3:32pm

You take the most amazing photos Holly, this is such a pretty display!
    iHanna´s last blog post ..Details of a Journal Cover

10. Gabrielle Treanor commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 3:36pm

I love the idea of picture ledges but didn’t know where they came from so thanks v much for this! I’d really like to try them in our home but my hubbie isn’t keen so I think I may show him how good they look in my studio and maybe then he’ll change his mind…
    We’re redecorating our home at the moment (I love scandi style so we’re going for white rooms with pops of colour in accessories and furnishings) so I’m soaking up all of your posts even more than usual :)

11. Brittni: Paper & Stitch commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 4:32pm

I saw some of these photos on your Instagram and they are lovely. I’m completely jealous of your washi tape collection.
    Brittni: Paper & Stitch´s last blog post ..Easter DIY: Painterly Pastel Eggs

12. ishtar commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 4:37pm

its always SO inspiring to take a peek into your studio! love these posts you share : )
    ishtar´s last blog post ..Taller de Sellos II : Estampación Textil ♥

13. Chrystina commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 6:10pm

What a beautiful work area. I’m redoing mine soon, so I definitely appreciate the inspiration!!
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..the logistics of running

14. Emily Wignall commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 7:24pm

I love that you rotate the stuff on your ledges. Your collections all grouped together looks like art!
    Emily Wignall´s last blog post ..Applied Design – Maximizing the Space In Your House

15. Lauren commented
    March 13th, 2013 at 10:44pm

@decor8: Thanks for clarifying! I checked House Doctor and saw the ribbon, but couldn’t tell if it came with the spools or not.
    Lauren´s last blog post ..popcorn on the porch

16. decor8 commented
    March 14th, 2013 at 12:02am

@Lauren – Yes it’s on spools! Pretty, right!?

17. Mnêmosunê commented
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:58am

I love your workspace, so bright and beautiful ! Lovely inspiration, thanks !
    Mnêmosunê´s last blog post ..De nouveaux produits dans ma salle de bains #2

18. Constance Citalan commented
    March 14th, 2013 at 11:02am

I love how you displayed your Ikea Shelves. I also like to leave a book or magazine of a photo that inspires me out on a table. I have not thought about displaying on a shelf. Plus, I love your paper flowers you showed how to make in another post shown on your wall – and your chevron print bag!

19. Rachael commented
    March 14th, 2013 at 10:58pm

I just want to jump into your room! Looks fantastic!

20. julia commented