Boucherouite Rug Trend – Hot or Not?

Let’s talk about a big rug trend, aside from the ever popular Beni Ouarains from Morocco and the over-dyed vintage or patchwork rugs from Turkey. The current craze that has the blog world rockin’ are the Boucherouite rugs. You  may have seen this photograph below from The Apartment (where you can buy them online) on some of your favorite blogs or over on Pinterest. It seems to be a popular room at the moment and it shows two stand out rugs, a Beni Ouarain (front) and a Boucherouite (back). Boucherouites are usually one-of-a-kind vintage recycled fabric rugs made in North Africa by Berber women who weave recycled wool and textiles together to create ribbon-like rugs.

Boucherouite Rug Trend

I first spotted these bad boys in 2010 in Australian design magazines since I subscribe to a few and they always seem to pop up in Aussie homes. They started to appear in Europe in 2011 but only here and there… And I saw them when I was in Morocco then, too. In early 2012 when I was decorating my apartment for my book, one of the founders of HKLiving tried to entice me with a special offer to buy one from his lovely company but I wasn’t feeling the deep reds, blues and yellows in his selection so I held back.

Boucherouite Rug Trend

I was holding back for awhile because lots of the Boucherouite rugs were in palettes way to deep for my taste which was part of my resistance to their ever growing popularity. Lately though, I’ve been seeing them in remarkable colorways that definitely fit my palette in pink, melon, turquoise, black, mint and orange and I really love them. I imagine we’ll see more and more in the months to come, especially since they look so fresh and summery. What do you think?

Boucherouite Rug Trend

Boucherouite Rug Trend

I found two gorgeous rugs on Rachel Ashwell’s online shop. Wow, totally stunning. I’d own them both. I love seeing them on a polished concrete floor, I like the mix of industrial with soft and fluffy femininity. I also imagine these rugs on white wooden floors or ok, on my hardwood floors in my apartment (smile).

Boucherouite Rug Trend

Here are some (above) from Beldi Rugs.

What do you think? I had rag rugs in my teens and twenties – my mother liked them – but once I moved out on my own I got rid of them and went more with the flat weave variety or cotton throws. Since moving to Germany though, I’ve been buying Turkish rugs – I have 4 currently – because we have some great Turkish rug dealers here but also I went to Istanbul in 2011 and was a changed woman – I loved what I saw in shops there. I also went to Morocco in 2010 to some gorgeous rug shops with Maryam Montague (see her home where I stayed here and read about my trip here) and that trip brought in a whole new level of appreciation for rugs that are handmade, vintage and colorful.

Blogged today on decor8

You can even buy these rugs on Etsy, Amber from BYOB carries tons of them.

Boucherouite Rug Trend

For more inspiration, here is my Boucherouite pinboard that I made for you to drool over, enjoy!

What do you think of these rugs anyway? Love? Hate? Somewhere in between? Do you own one? Let’s talk!

(images linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in trends on March 20, 2013

1. Donna Frasca commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 12:26pm

They’re really pretty – I’d like to hang them on a wall instead of walking on them.

2. April Louise commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 12:50pm

I really like the interiors these rugs have been photographed in. I think they are lovely, I like the colours, patterns and their wobbly shapes.
    April Louise´s last blog post ..Thumbnails

3. Melyssa commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 1:02pm

I’m moving in a few days and can’t wait to throw away the big, dirty rug that has been festering in my bedroom and buy a happy new spring rug! These are great ideas and I love the color and designs. I also have to agree – Turkish rugs are gorgeous! My friends also went to Morocco recently and brought back some wonderful rugs. Can’t wait to shop around. Thanks for the inspiration!

xo
    Melyssa

Melyssa´s last blog post ..Let’s Talk About Love Ba-by

4. Margo Tantau commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 1:09pm

Fresh, inspiring, spot on for today’s eclectic interiors & appreciation of all things handmade & right-sourced. The newer up to date color palettes are drool-worthy. I’ve been a waning rug lover for a long time.. These restore my faith.

5. FrauSchmitt commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 1:31pm

You rock, Holly. I can very well imagine having one of these rugs in our bedroom and another one in our living room. Guess they are not only beautiful with their lovely colors but also comfortable, especially if your feet touch them first thing in the morning (if one is next to your bed). Lucky me it will be my birthday in May. Definitely added to my birthday wishlist :)
    FrauSchmitt´s last blog post ..Kompromisse

6. Miss Drawingdream commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 3:16pm

In general I would say, not my style..but I guess it depends on the other furniture, colours,…and so on :-)
    Miss Drawingdream´s last blog post ..4 Jahreszeiten – Four Seasons I

7. Elsa commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 3:40pm

Definitely hot if the rest of the decoration allows it! Loved their colors!
    Elsa´s last blog post ..The Difference Between Solid Wood and Veneered Furniture

8. Jen commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 5:32pm

Those are gorgeous and look like they might wear better than some of the Beni Ouarains I see on the market these days. I love the riot of colours. Yummy!
    Jen´s last blog post ..Wish List Wednesday: Oscar, Florals, Pink Counters, and Tables Galore.

9. Green Gable commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 8:48pm

I love the bright colors! I would definitely use it as an accent rug.

xo green gable
    Green Gable´s last blog post ..The Big Shots

10. Making Happy commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 8:49pm

Hot! Scrumptious!
    Making Happy´s last blog post ..Sea Turtle Coastal Decor Art Print in Beach Stripes by MakingHappy

11. Kelsey commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 9:26pm

I currently have a South-American inspired textile on my floor to add a pop of color but these would work perfect and be much more appropriate than my thin cloth. Thanks for the share.

xoxo Kelsey

12. Suzanne Fletcher commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 9:34pm

Definitely not my style, but I’ve said that before and ended up loving something. So you never know!

13. maks commented
    March 20th, 2013 at 9:46pm

Tanks for the rug special ;-). I do hate spending a fortune on a rug though for we’ve had quite a few and I always ended up tossing them at one point or an other, especially the big ones. I like the new trends but I guess I have to mull it over a little longer. My heart wants a fancy, unique and special rug and I’d love some color, too. Only problem is I couldn’t really settle for a particular color since I like drastic color changes when it comes to decorating. And then there is my better half who is strongly opposed to too much color ;-). I just don’t want to go back to neutrals and the rug would have to be practical with our Brady bunch and all. I’ll just keep my eyes open and looking forward to what you’ll be coming up with for your home. Thanks also for referring back to your older rug posts :-)
    maks´s last blog post ..Spring/Easter Crafternoon

14. Gayle Romay commented
    March 21st, 2013 at 12:24am

oooo I am totally swooning over these, love the fact that they are one of a kind. Beautiful x
    Gayle Romay´s last blog post ..BLOG BOSS

15. pauline commented
    March 21st, 2013 at 5:21am

it is amazing how they have taken off and are suddenly on every blog page – it took me a while to warm to them as well but am consistently impressed by the designs and painterly quality if the rugs.

16. Lauren commented
    March 21st, 2013 at 6:22am

I love the pop of color they add and the textural element as well. I would use these in my room designs for sure!
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Hotel Interior Inspiration – 21c Museum Hotel

17. Anni commented
    March 21st, 2013 at 11:23am

Never heard of them before, but now I want one!
    They have some pretty ones at fab.de today. Do they read your blog? ;)

Happy thursday!
    Anni
    Anni´s last blog post ..Wanderlust

18. Sue Aitken commented
    March 21st, 2013 at 12:04pm

I think these rugs are absolutely gorgeous. My kitchen rug is very much the worse for wear, so I’m tempted to succomb to temptation and replace it with one of these fabulous concoctions. Temptress!

19. Lorna commented
    March 21st, 2013 at 6:25pm

I love how they added the pink rose petals for scale, but also sort of to say, “they’re nice, right? see? they’re pretty, huh? yeah. that’s nice.” :D

20. susan commented
    March 21st, 2013 at 9:56pm

hi Holly, I saw these rugs on fab.de just this week. They do look lovely. Shame I have no space for any

21. Kreetta commented
    March 22nd, 2013 at 9:30am

Love them a lot!!! They look so soft and colorful. Few years ago I wouldn’t like them now I just want to have one! Expecially I like the idea of “one-of-a-kind vintage recycled fabric rugs made in North Africa by Berber women.” Thanks for sharing, Holly! Great find.
    Kreetta´s last blog post ..Sketchbooks makes the world go round

22. Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating commented
    March 24th, 2013 at 9:49pm

Not really my thing. I’ve never really been into the patchwork-type look.
    Hollie @ I’m Busy Procrastinating´s last blog post ..I love the game, and now I have a Tetris scarf

23. Agata commented
    March 26th, 2013 at 10:51pm

They are hot and very beautiful, but totaly not my style. It will be to much color in the interior and they are very present in space, I like simple floor, without any rug :-)

24. Fossik commented
    March 27th, 2013 at 11:27am

Huge fan of the boucherouite! You may be interested in checking out Fossik’s collection at http://www.fossik.bigcartel.com. Would love to hear your feedback Holly. Thanks!

25. Greg commented
    June 12th, 2013 at 2:14am

Hot I guess, but I’d like to add that I find it distressing to see these genuine works of art made part of a design ‘trend’ halfway across the world. These rugs were created by the women of nomadic Morrocan tribes, they are not in my view to be regarded as consumer fashion objects. Sorry to be a grump.

26. Carole Myers commented
    August 6th, 2013 at 2:08am

We love these carpets! We have bought two from a store on etsy, Couleurs de Saison. They have them for much less than we had found before. The carpets just add such a great pop of color to our home and we always have compliments.

27. Chrystal commented
    January 8th, 2014 at 1:37am

Hi,
    You might want to update your link (for the Pinterest board). I think you changed it to:

28. decor8 commented
    January 13th, 2014 at 10:55pm

@Chrystal – Beni Ourain Rugs and Boucherouite rugs are not the same.