Boucherouite Rug Trend – Hot or Not?

March 20, 2013

Let’s talk about a big rug trend, aside from the ever popular Beni Ouarains from Morocco and the over-dyed vintage or patchwork rugs from Turkey. The current craze that has the blog world rockin’ are the Boucherouite rugs. You  may have seen this photograph below from The Apartment (where you can buy them online) on some of your favorite blogs or over on Pinterest. It seems to be a popular room at the moment and it shows two stand out rugs, a Beni Ouarain (front) and a Boucherouite (back). Boucherouites are usually one-of-a-kind vintage recycled fabric rugs made in North Africa by Berber women who weave recycled wool and textiles together to create ribbon-like rugs.

Boucherouite Rug Trend   Hot or Not?

I first spotted these bad boys in 2010 in Australian design magazines since I subscribe to a few and they always seem to pop up in Aussie homes. They started to appear in Europe in 2011 but only here and there… And I saw them when I was in Morocco then, too. In early 2012 when I was decorating my apartment for my book, one of the founders of HKLiving tried to entice me with a special offer to buy one from his lovely company but I wasn’t feeling the deep reds, blues and yellows in his selection so I held back.

Boucherouite Rug Trend   Hot or Not?

I was holding back for awhile because lots of the Boucherouite rugs were in palettes way to deep for my taste which was part of my resistance to their ever growing popularity. Lately though, I’ve been seeing them in remarkable colorways that definitely fit my palette in pink, melon, turquoise, black, mint and orange and I really love them. I imagine we’ll see more and more in the months to come, especially since they look so fresh and summery. What do you think?

Boucherouite Rug Trend   Hot or Not?

Boucherouite Rug Trend   Hot or Not?

I found two gorgeous rugs on Rachel Ashwell’s online shop. Wow, totally stunning. I’d own them both. I love seeing them on a polished concrete floor, I like the mix of industrial with soft and fluffy femininity. I also imagine these rugs on white wooden floors or ok, on my hardwood floors in my apartment (smile).

Boucherouite Rug Trend   Hot or Not?

Here are some (above) from Beldi Rugs.

What do you think? I had rag rugs in my teens and twenties – my mother liked them – but once I moved out on my own I got rid of them and went more with the flat weave variety or cotton throws. Since moving to Germany though, I’ve been buying Turkish rugs – I have 4 currently – because we have some great Turkish rug dealers here but also I went to Istanbul in 2011 and was a changed woman – I loved what I saw in shops there. I also went to Morocco in 2010 to some gorgeous rug shops with Maryam Montague (see her home where I stayed here and read about my trip here) and that trip brought in a whole new level of appreciation for rugs that are handmade, vintage and colorful.

Boucherouite Rug Trend   Hot or Not?

You can even buy these rugs on Etsy, Amber from BYOB carries tons of them.

Boucherouite Rug Trend   Hot or Not?

For more inspiration, here is my Boucherouite pinboard that I made for you to drool over, enjoy!

What do you think of these rugs anyway? Love? Hate? Somewhere in between? Do you own one? Let’s talk!

(images linked to their sources above)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Donna Frasca March 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm

They’re really pretty – I’d like to hang them on a wall instead of walking on them.

• Reply April Louise March 20, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I really like the interiors these rugs have been photographed in. I think they are lovely, I like the colours, patterns and their wobbly shapes.

• Reply Melyssa March 20, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I’m moving in a few days and can’t wait to throw away the big, dirty rug that has been festering in my bedroom and buy a happy new spring rug! These are great ideas and I love the color and designs. I also have to agree – Turkish rugs are gorgeous! My friends also went to Morocco recently and brought back some wonderful rugs. Can’t wait to shop around. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Margo Tantau March 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Fresh, inspiring, spot on for today’s eclectic interiors & appreciation of all things handmade & right-sourced. The newer up to date color palettes are drool-worthy. I’ve been a waning rug lover for a long time.. These restore my faith.

• Reply FrauSchmitt March 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm

You rock, Holly. I can very well imagine having one of these rugs in our bedroom and another one in our living room. Guess they are not only beautiful with their lovely colors but also comfortable, especially if your feet touch them first thing in the morning (if one is next to your bed). Lucky me it will be my birthday in May. Definitely added to my birthday wishlist :)

• Reply Miss Drawingdream March 20, 2013 at 3:16 pm

In general I would say, not my style..but I guess it depends on the other furniture, colours,…and so on :-)

• Reply Elsa March 20, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Definitely hot if the rest of the decoration allows it! Loved their colors!

• Reply Jen March 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Those are gorgeous and look like they might wear better than some of the Beni Ouarains I see on the market these days. I love the riot of colours. Yummy!

• Reply Green Gable March 20, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I love the bright colors! I would definitely use it as an accent rug.

xo green gable

• Reply Making Happy March 20, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Hot! Scrumptious!

• Reply Kelsey March 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I currently have a South-American inspired textile on my floor to add a pop of color but these would work perfect and be much more appropriate than my thin cloth. Thanks for the share.

xoxo Kelsey

• Reply Suzanne Fletcher March 20, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Definitely not my style, but I’ve said that before and ended up loving something. So you never know!

• Reply maks March 20, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Tanks for the rug special ;-). I do hate spending a fortune on a rug though for we’ve had quite a few and I always ended up tossing them at one point or an other, especially the big ones. I like the new trends but I guess I have to mull it over a little longer. My heart wants a fancy, unique and special rug and I’d love some color, too. Only problem is I couldn’t really settle for a particular color since I like drastic color changes when it comes to decorating. And then there is my better half who is strongly opposed to too much color ;-). I just don’t want to go back to neutrals and the rug would have to be practical with our Brady bunch and all. I’ll just keep my eyes open and looking forward to what you’ll be coming up with for your home. Thanks also for referring back to your older rug posts :-)

• Reply Gayle Romay March 21, 2013 at 12:24 am

oooo I am totally swooning over these, love the fact that they are one of a kind. Beautiful x

• Reply pauline March 21, 2013 at 5:21 am

it is amazing how they have taken off and are suddenly on every blog page – it took me a while to warm to them as well but am consistently impressed by the designs and painterly quality if the rugs.

• Reply Lauren March 21, 2013 at 6:22 am

I love the pop of color they add and the textural element as well. I would use these in my room designs for sure!

• Reply Anni March 21, 2013 at 11:23 am

Never heard of them before, but now I want one!
    They have some pretty ones at today. Do they read your blog? ;)

Happy thursday!

• Reply Sue Aitken March 21, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I think these rugs are absolutely gorgeous. My kitchen rug is very much the worse for wear, so I’m tempted to succomb to temptation and replace it with one of these fabulous concoctions. Temptress!

• Reply Lorna March 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I love how they added the pink rose petals for scale, but also sort of to say, “they’re nice, right? see? they’re pretty, huh? yeah. that’s nice.” :D

• Reply susan March 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm

hi Holly, I saw these rugs on just this week. They do look lovely. Shame I have no space for any

• Reply Kreetta March 22, 2013 at 9:30 am

Love them a lot!!! They look so soft and colorful. Few years ago I wouldn’t like them now I just want to have one! Expecially I like the idea of “one-of-a-kind vintage recycled fabric rugs made in North Africa by Berber women.” Thanks for sharing, Holly! Great find.

• Reply Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating March 24, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Not really my thing. I’ve never really been into the patchwork-type look.

• Reply Agata March 26, 2013 at 10:51 pm

They are hot and very beautiful, but totaly not my style. It will be to much color in the interior and they are very present in space, I like simple floor, without any rug :-)

• Reply Fossik March 27, 2013 at 11:27 am

Huge fan of the boucherouite! You may be interested in checking out Fossik’s collection at Would love to hear your feedback Holly. Thanks!

• Reply Greg June 12, 2013 at 2:14 am

Hot I guess, but I’d like to add that I find it distressing to see these genuine works of art made part of a design ‘trend’ halfway across the world. These rugs were created by the women of nomadic Morrocan tribes, they are not in my view to be regarded as consumer fashion objects. Sorry to be a grump.

• Reply Carole Myers August 6, 2013 at 2:08 am

We love these carpets! We have bought two from a store on etsy, Couleurs de Saison. They have them for much less than we had found before. The carpets just add such a great pop of color to our home and we always have compliments.

• Reply Chrystal January 8, 2014 at 1:37 am

You might want to update your link (for the Pinterest board). I think you changed it to:

• Reply decor8 January 13, 2014 at 10:55 pm

@Chrystal – Beni Ourain Rugs and Boucherouite rugs are not the same.