Decorating Tips

Inspired By Plants

April 5, 2013

I have been positively obsessed with plants lately, from house plants to the balcony garden and beyond. I don’t know what’s come over me! I’m a fresh flowers girl and okay, total succulent lover, but plants? Plants remind me of the late 70s and 80s when my mother was hanging them around in her macrame holders that she made with her girlfriends. Plants remind me of my years in corporate when a plant was the closest thing we start up geeks ever came to nature. Plants kinda felt dated  over the past ten years or so and it’s sorta sad that our little green friends have gotten a bad rap. NOT anymore. Greenery has pulled out its big guns lately and is popping up all over. I predict people are going to start decorating with plants more and more, are you feeling that too? I have no clue why stuff like this happens but it just does and when I happen to LIKE a trend, I just roll with it. Plus, having plants in the house is totally healthy.

Inspired By Plants

I started a little plants pinboard to fan the flames of desire with hopes it will not only motivate me to water the ones that I have but to also inspire a visit to the garden shop. AND (warning: big plans for this city girl) if it EVER stops being so stupid outside, I’m going to totally go all Isabelle Palmer on you and churn out an actual balcony garden. I met Isabelle, a lovely British author, at my Anthropologie book signing in London recently, and she gave me copies of her new book – The Balcony Gardener – in both English and German (Mein Balkongarten). I’m so inspired by her book – it definitely got me pumped for spring despite that it’s still winter in April. I tell ya though, the second temps rise, I’m going for it and turning my balcony into something that doesn’t look like a scary eye sore.

Inspired By Plants

I love this image from Nicole Franzen that I found on SFGirlByBay. Gorgeous!

Inspired By Plants

Ok and this image from photographer Nicole Franzen, too.

Inspired By Plants

Sorry, last one – but Nicole’s portfolio is stunning and lots! of! plants!

Inspired By Plants

This is from Seesaw and wow, I just loved how they set up this shot by collecting greenery from their backyard.

Inspired By Plants

This indoor/outdoor plant sanctuary shown in Skona Hem makes my heart turn to mush. I love this so so SO much.

Inspired By Plants

The home of Sophie Schellekens as seen on Design Skool is so pretty and casual, but I especially like this relaxed shot in the window with feet up and a big plant nearby.

Until my home has more plants and my balcony is an urban oasis, I always have Pinterest for dreaming and ok, Kinfolk mag because honestly, Kinfolk people are total plant people, right!?

(images: collaged: svermeri, shelterness, a beach cottage, william dangar & associates.)

You Might Also Like

35 Comments

• Reply Nika vintage April 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Adoro las plantas!! La imagen del invernadero pequeño es divina!!!
    Besos!
    Veronica

• Reply Mary Lawson April 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Beautiful, I love plants! One of the things I like about where I live (South Florida) is the tropical plants. Orchids are a favorite, but there are so many that grow here that I love. Lol, I even have a favorite type of palm tree. (It’s a traveler’s palm)

• Reply rike April 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm

for sure you’ll like miekes portfolio: http://www.miekeverbijlen.com/ beautiful photos of artists&friends from antwerp. plant people!

• Reply decor8 April 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm

@rike – GREAT tip – never saw that site before, thank you so much! Ich wuensche dir ein schoenes wochenende! xo

• Reply Sonja April 5, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Love the last picture! Great big window! I would love to have a bigger range of plants at home, but only the fittest survive! ;-)
    Thanks for all the input at the bloggboss-e-course! It is still working in me and gave me an extra-kick for my blog.
    Sonja

• Reply decor8 April 5, 2013 at 8:27 pm

@Sonja – that’s great, and you’re welcome!

• Reply Nisrine April 5, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I LOVE plants and the ones pictured here are especially pretty. I’m also digging those oversized vases – so stylish!

• Reply Mnêmosunê April 5, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I love plants ! I’m going to decorate my balcony with some plants, I’m just trying to find the most resistant ones as I’m not a plant expert ! ;)

• Reply Anu April 5, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I’m so happy that plants are making the deserved come back! I have plenty of them in my home since I feel like they bring more life into an interior and make it more cozy. Occasionally I organise bathing days for my plants and I have realised that after moving them to the bathroom my rooms feel somewhat empty and I definitely feel that something is missing… So I do need plants in my home.

• Reply Ann April 5, 2013 at 10:52 pm

absolutely have been feeling the same thing about plants…don’t know why even started a Pinterest board on Indoor Plants and love your photos and collection!

• Reply nani April 5, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Lovely plants.

• Reply Inge April 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Haha! Ive been thinking the same thing lately – I’m also obsessed with plants! So funny you wrote this post, it’s the same thought that crossed my mind a lot too. The problem is that I am not very good at taking care of plants. Luckily I’ve got a great husband to fix that problem. ;-)
    My mother used to have a lot of hanging plants in front of our old living room window and I hated them, but now I’m thinking to get some too. Sounds oldschool huh? :-)
    Anyway, I’m also loving the three white big pots grouped on the terrace and that white little mini-greenhouse shown in Skonahem… Totally cute!

Thanks again for the GREAT blogboss e-course Holly, I’ve been writing and writing away and still thinking about new ideas and thoughts. It’s the best thing I decided to do this year! Can’t wait until October!!!
    Love, Inge x

• Reply Donna-Caroline Khoo April 5, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Hi Holly,

Everything looks so gorgeous AND fresh.

I am currently looking for people with a love for cupcakes to create a recipe with picture and a little profile on themselves for a chance to be part of a cookbook. If you are interested or think your readers might be – can you spread the word for me?

Thanks So Much

Donna

• Reply Kate April 5, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Agreed. It’s super important to have plants in the house!

• Reply Marjory April 5, 2013 at 11:54 pm

These are gorgeous.. Totally agree, plants infuse a space with oxygen, vitality, aliveness! So happy to see us awakening to their beauty. :)

• Reply Ella April 6, 2013 at 4:13 am

I love plants! Thank you for sharing~
    I have a green thumb, but want green fingers, lol!

Wonderful….

Yes, Kinfolk people are totally green :D

• Reply April Louise April 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

I really like the indoor greenhouse too. I like the fact it has been labelled as an indoor sanctuary, that sounds so much more attractive.

• Reply Camilla Floweret April 6, 2013 at 10:49 am

Oh I love the light in the pics and also the fresh living green indoors since I do have a couple of months (yes months) until the snow disapear here in south Lapland Sweden… so I have to relay on that indoor green joy… auf wiedersehen

• Reply Stella April 6, 2013 at 11:00 am

Plants give life to a home! Positive energy and calm!

• Reply rike April 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm

@decor8: gerne doch! have a nice weekend!

• Reply Emma . Pigs & Roses April 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm

It’s beautiful! Green green… ❤

• Reply Deneise Bucko April 6, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Every since Victoria (sfbg) showed her dining room with her plant collection I too have become obsessed with green. It makes our all white interior warm with life! Love all the images!

• Reply Judith April 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Me too, I’m sooooo inspired by plants (and succulents en cactus plants) these days. I love this “trend” and can’t wait to get my own plants out of their winter storage and back into our greenhouse. Did you see Bri Emery’s recent home make over? Lots of lush green plants as well and so pretty!

• Reply Amy Peltier April 6, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I too love the photo at the top with the three clean white planters and a different plant in each. Its so casual and simple. Im also an interior designer in LA and I use plants when I shoot my rooms to add a layer of nature. Yes, I am a bigger fan of fresh flowers, but sometimes fresh flowers are too formal or sweet for a space. Plants have that casual cool feeling to them. It is spring and time to fill my planters here, but I have yet to do so because by the time hot July hits thy require so much attention and watering I never make it to the end of the season without them dying:)!

• Reply Tereza April 7, 2013 at 7:58 am

I can’t wait to start decorating for spring!!
    xo

• Reply Jade April 7, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I’m completely inspired to introduce a few more plants into my apartment. Such a beautiful post! Many thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply Lou @ Littlegreenshed April 8, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Oh Holly I am with you… totally obsessed with plants. I’ve started a series on my blog called ‘nature in the home’ all about plants and flowers. I hope you like it… http://littlegreenshed.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/nature%20in%20the%20home

And I have a ever growing pinboard – http://pinterest.com/littlegreenshed/nature-in-the-home/

lou

• Reply Sue April 9, 2013 at 10:56 am

I absolutely LOVE that glass cabinet filled with plants to make an indoor greenhouse. What a great idea.

• Reply Adela Y. April 9, 2013 at 11:45 am

Me encanta este estilo!!!!, estoy buscando ideas para redecorar el taller de trabajo.
    Saludos

• Reply angela wilder August 21, 2013 at 3:09 am

funny, i swear i am experiencing the same obsession. Inspired by bellefleurdelis. I was always a fresh flowers girl and recently I have gone wild with plants in my house. Love them, they also remind me of the late 70’!

• Reply Mariel October 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Love this post :)

• Reply Traci January 15, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Plants bring life and freshness into an indoor space. I have a Christmas Cactus that I love. It’s a family tradition–every woman in my family has one, and they were all started from the same grandmother plant. Mine is currently blooming. It takes little water and just a little sunlight and love, and its vibrant blooms bring me so much joy in the otherwise dreary winter months!

• Reply Candi January 16, 2014 at 3:12 am

I can’t live without houseplants and what I have learned is that they seem do well in groups. For some reason, my plants seem to thrive when they have companions and of course, natural sunlight. They also love the occasional feeding besides the right balance of water maintenance.

Plants make happy and I love to nurture them, my home wouldn’t feel right without them.

• Reply Shona June 24, 2015 at 3:19 am

I hope the trend is here to stay Holly! I recently wrote a post on decorating with plants, let me know what you think: https://www.oneflare.com.au/blog/decorating-with-plants/