Inspired By Plants

I have been positively obsessed with plants lately, from house plants to the balcony garden and beyond. I don’t know what’s come over me! I’m a fresh flowers girl and okay, total succulent lover, but plants? Plants remind me of the late 70s and 80s when my mother was hanging them around in her macrame holders that she made with her girlfriends. Plants remind me of my years in corporate when a plant was the closest thing we start up geeks ever came to nature. Plants kinda felt dated  over the past ten years or so and it’s sorta sad that our little green friends have gotten a bad rap. NOT anymore. Greenery has pulled out its big guns lately and is popping up all over. I predict people are going to start decorating with plants more and more, are you feeling that too? I have no clue why stuff like this happens but it just does and when I happen to LIKE a trend, I just roll with it. Plus, having plants in the house is totally healthy.

Inspired By Plants

I started a little plants pinboard to fan the flames of desire with hopes it will not only motivate me to water the ones that I have but to also inspire a visit to the garden shop. AND (warning: big plans for this city girl) if it EVER stops being so stupid outside, I’m going to totally go all Isabelle Palmer on you and churn out an actual balcony garden. I met Isabelle, a lovely British author, at my Anthropologie book signing in London recently, and she gave me copies of her new book – The Balcony Gardener – in both English and German (Mein Balkongarten). I’m so inspired by her book – it definitely got me pumped for spring despite that it’s still winter in April. I tell ya though, the second temps rise, I’m going for it and turning my balcony into something that doesn’t look like a scary eye sore.

Inspired By Plants

I love this image from Nicole Franzen that I found on SFGirlByBay. Gorgeous!

Inspired By Plants

Ok and this image from photographer Nicole Franzen, too.

Inspired By Plants

Sorry, last one – but Nicole’s portfolio is stunning and lots! of! plants!

Inspired By Plants

This is from Seesaw and wow, I just loved how they set up this shot by collecting greenery from their backyard.

Inspired By Plants

This indoor/outdoor plant sanctuary shown in Skona Hem makes my heart turn to mush. I love this so so SO much.

Inspired By Plants

The home of Sophie Schellekens as seen on Design Skool is so pretty and casual, but I especially like this relaxed shot in the window with feet up and a big plant nearby.

Until my home has more plants and my balcony is an urban oasis, I always have Pinterest for dreaming and ok, Kinfolk mag because honestly, Kinfolk people are total plant people, right!?

(images: collaged: svermeri, shelterness, a beach cottage, william dangar & associates.)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on April 05, 2013

1. Nika vintage commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 6:51pm

Adoro las plantas!! La imagen del invernadero pequeño es divina!!!
    Besos!
    Veronica

2. Mary Lawson commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 7:10pm

Beautiful, I love plants! One of the things I like about where I live (South Florida) is the tropical plants. Orchids are a favorite, but there are so many that grow here that I love. Lol, I even have a favorite type of palm tree. (It’s a traveler’s palm)
    Mary Lawson´s last blog post ..2014 Cherry-Cola Planner by studiopop

3. rike commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 7:53pm

for sure you’ll like miekes portfolio: http://www.miekeverbijlen.com/ beautiful photos of artists&friends from antwerp. plant people!

4. Sonja commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 8:01pm

Love the last picture! Great big window! I would love to have a bigger range of plants at home, but only the fittest survive! ;-)
    Thanks for all the input at the bloggboss-e-course! It is still working in me and gave me an extra-kick for my blog.
    Sonja

5. decor8 commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 8:27pm

@Sonja – that’s great, and you’re welcome!

6. decor8 commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 8:28pm

@rike – GREAT tip – never saw that site before, thank you so much! Ich wuensche dir ein schoenes wochenende! xo

7. Nisrine commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 8:41pm

I LOVE plants and the ones pictured here are especially pretty. I’m also digging those oversized vases – so stylish!

8. Mnêmosunê commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 8:55pm

I love plants ! I’m going to decorate my balcony with some plants, I’m just trying to find the most resistant ones as I’m not a plant expert ! ;)
    Mnêmosunê´s last blog post ..De nouveaux produits dans ma salle de bains #3

9. Anu commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 9:07pm

I’m so happy that plants are making the deserved come back! I have plenty of them in my home since I feel like they bring more life into an interior and make it more cozy. Occasionally I organise bathing days for my plants and I have realised that after moving them to the bathroom my rooms feel somewhat empty and I definitely feel that something is missing… So I do need plants in my home.
    Anu´s last blog post ..IKEA Ribba picture sledge

10. Ann commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 10:52pm

absolutely have been feeling the same thing about plants…don’t know why even started a Pinterest board on Indoor Plants and love your photos and collection!

11. nani commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 11:20pm

Lovely plants.

12. Inge commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 11:24pm

Haha! Ive been thinking the same thing lately – I’m also obsessed with plants! So funny you wrote this post, it’s the same thought that crossed my mind a lot too. The problem is that I am not very good at taking care of plants. Luckily I’ve got a great husband to fix that problem. ;-)
    My mother used to have a lot of hanging plants in front of our old living room window and I hated them, but now I’m thinking to get some too. Sounds oldschool huh? :-)
    Anyway, I’m also loving the three white big pots grouped on the terrace and that white little mini-greenhouse shown in Skonahem… Totally cute!

Thanks again for the GREAT blogboss e-course Holly, I’ve been writing and writing away and still thinking about new ideas and thoughts. It’s the best thing I decided to do this year! Can’t wait until October!!!
    Love, Inge x
    Inge´s last blog post ..Pastel colored jars DIY

13. Donna-Caroline Khoo commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 11:39pm

Hi Holly,

Everything looks so gorgeous AND fresh.

I am currently looking for people with a love for cupcakes to create a recipe with picture and a little profile on themselves for a chance to be part of a cookbook. If you are interested or think your readers might be – can you spread the word for me?

Thanks So Much

Donna

14. Kate commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 11:53pm

Agreed. It’s super important to have plants in the house!
    Kate´s last blog post ..For Sarah Davison

15. Marjory commented
    April 5th, 2013 at 11:54pm

These are gorgeous.. Totally agree, plants infuse a space with oxygen, vitality, aliveness! So happy to see us awakening to their beauty. :)
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Edgewalkers of flow

16. Ella commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 4:13am

I love plants! Thank you for sharing~
    I have a green thumb, but want green fingers, lol!

Wonderful….

Yes, Kinfolk people are totally green :D
    Ella´s last blog post ..E is for Envelope

17. April Louise commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 10:14am

I really like the indoor greenhouse too. I like the fact it has been labelled as an indoor sanctuary, that sounds so much more attractive.
    April Louise´s last blog post ..Leisurely Painting

18. Camilla Floweret commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 10:49am

Oh I love the light in the pics and also the fresh living green indoors since I do have a couple of months (yes months) until the snow disapear here in south Lapland Sweden… so I have to relay on that indoor green joy… auf wiedersehen
    Camilla Floweret´s last blog post ..Bebis digistämplar freebie

19. Stella commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 11:00am

Plants give life to a home! Positive energy and calm!

20. rike commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 12:02pm

@decor8: gerne doch! have a nice weekend!

21. Emma . Pigs & Roses commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 12:43pm

It’s beautiful! Green green… ❤

22. Deneise Bucko commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 4:38pm

Every since Victoria (sfbg) showed her dining room with her plant collection I too have become obsessed with green. It makes our all white interior warm with life! Love all the images!

23. Judith commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 5:10pm

Me too, I’m sooooo inspired by plants (and succulents en cactus plants) these days. I love this “trend” and can’t wait to get my own plants out of their winter storage and back into our greenhouse. Did you see Bri Emery’s recent home make over? Lots of lush green plants as well and so pretty!
    Judith´s last blog post ..Chambre avec vue

24. Amy Peltier commented
    April 6th, 2013 at 6:24pm

I too love the photo at the top with the three clean white planters and a different plant in each. Its so casual and simple. Im also an interior designer in LA and I use plants when I shoot my rooms to add a layer of nature. Yes, I am a bigger fan of fresh flowers, but sometimes fresh flowers are too formal or sweet for a space. Plants have that casual cool feeling to them. It is spring and time to fill my planters here, but I have yet to do so because by the time hot July hits thy require so much attention and watering I never make it to the end of the season without them dying:)!

25. Tereza commented
    April 7th, 2013 at 7:58am

I can’t wait to start decorating for spring!!
    xo
    Tereza´s last blog post ..Weekend…

26. Jade commented
    April 7th, 2013 at 1:25pm

I’m completely inspired to introduce a few more plants into my apartment. Such a beautiful post! Many thanks for the inspiration.
    Jade´s last blog post ..Andalusia, Spain

27. Anastasia of Passion & Obsession commented
    April 8th, 2013 at 10:23am

Flair Magazine has nice pictures too: http://www.flair-magazin.de/interior/artikel/wohninspiration-2013-wandgaerten-vasen-topfpflanzen.html
    Anastasia of Passion & Obsession´s last blog post ..LAST WEEK ON: INSTAGRAM

28. Lou @ Littlegreenshed commented
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:26pm

Oh Holly I am with you… totally obsessed with plants. I’ve started a series on my blog called ‘nature in the home’ all about plants and flowers. I hope you like it… http://littlegreenshed.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/nature%20in%20the%20home

And I have a ever growing pinboard – http://pinterest.com/littlegreenshed/nature-in-the-home/

lou

29. Sue commented
    April 9th, 2013 at 10:56am

I absolutely LOVE that glass cabinet filled with plants to make an indoor greenhouse. What a great idea.

30. Adela Y. commented
    April 9th, 2013 at 11:45am

Me encanta este estilo!!!!, estoy buscando ideas para redecorar el taller de trabajo.
    Saludos

31. angela wilder commented
    August 21st, 2013 at 3:09am

funny, i swear i am experiencing the same obsession. Inspired by bellefleurdelis. I was always a fresh flowers girl and recently I have gone wild with plants in my house. Love them, they also remind me of the late 70′!
    angela wilder´s last blog post ..darla

32. Mariel commented
    October 17th, 2013 at 3:19pm

Love this post :)

33. Traci commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 5:55pm

Plants bring life and freshness into an indoor space. I have a Christmas Cactus that I love. It’s a family tradition–every woman in my family has one, and they were all started from the same grandmother plant. Mine is currently blooming. It takes little water and just a little sunlight and love, and its vibrant blooms bring me so much joy in the otherwise dreary winter months!
    Traci´s last blog post ..Take Time for Play

34. Candi commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 3:12am

I can’t live without houseplants and what I have learned is that they seem do well in groups. For some reason, my plants seem to thrive when they have companions and of course, natural sunlight. They also love the occasional feeding besides the right balance of water maintenance.

Plants make happy and I love to nurture them, my home wouldn’t feel right without them.