Food In Motion: Pistachio Marble Cake Recipe

Hello everyone! I have added two lovely columnists to join me here on decor8, Lisa Nieschlag and Julia Cawley, who will team up to produce Food In Motion, a new video series for decor8 that will appear once a month with a yummy video for to watch along with the recipe for you to try. Sounds fun, right?

Food In Motion: Pistachio Marble Cake

You may know Lisa and Julia as Liz and Jewels, two friends who love to cook and produce beautiful books together in addition to their blog and workshops. Liz lives in northern Germany and Jewels is also German but relocated to Brooklyn. I met both of these ladies last summer when I was a guest speaker at a food and styling workshop they did along with Meeta Wolf. I’m so pleased that Liz and Jewels will join me until the end of 2013 with Food In Motion. So, without further ado… Here’s Liz introducing their new column AND video AND recipe to you!

aaaFood In Motion: Pistachio Marble Cake

Hello from two continents! We are Liz and Jewels. The two of us share the same love for food and photos and challenge each other every week on our blog Liz & Jewels. We cook, style and photograph the same dish, without knowing what the other does, and whatever the outcome, we share it on our blog. Here is an example of our most recent post called, We eat Americans. My version of this recipe is on the left and Jewels’ recipe is on the right.

Food In Motion: Pistachio Marble Cake

I’m Liz, a graphic designer and cookbook author. My first cookbook was published in 2010, which was so successful, that two more followed immediately. Currently I’m working on my fourth cookbook. Jewels is the photographer for all of the cookbooks.

Food In Motion: Pistachio Marble Cake

We love working together and also love sharing our knowledge with others who love food, too. In 2012 we started teaching workshops for “Food Styling & Photography” and have done so in Weimar, Münster and New York so far. Here is a glimpse into a recent workshop in New York that we hosted before all of our students arrived…

Food In Motion: Pistachio Marble Cake

For decor8, we are bringing our Food In Motion! Every month we will pop up on decor8 and show you a little video of how we are preparing our favorite dish and leave you with the recipe so you can make it yourself. Our first recipe and video is below, we hope you enjoy it and that you enjoy having us on decor8 for 2013!

How to make what you see in our video…

RECIPE:
Pistachio Marble Cake
3 eggs
150 g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
50 g soft butter
100 ml milk
200 g flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
50 g pistachios
1 teaspoon of powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 175 C degrees. Generously butter a loaf pan. In a bowl beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla sugar on high speed with the electric mixer until the mixture turns light and thick. Add the soft butter and mix in. Whisk together the flour, bakingpowder and salt and add to the mixture gradually. Pour in the milk and beat until combined. In an electric blender pulverize the pistachios. Add the powdered sugar. In another bowl pour 1/3 of the batter and mix in the pistachios. Pour the reserved cake batter in the loaf pan and top with the pistachio batter. Run a fork through the batters in swirling motion. Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 45 minutes.

Yum! Yum! Enjoy! See you in May with another edition of Food In Motion. Let us know if you have any special ideas in mind – things you’d love to see us make, etc. You can comment below.

- Liz & Jewels

(Photos: liz & jewels. For video credits, click here.)

Posted by decor8 in food, Food In Motion on April 10, 2013

1. Isabelle commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:21pm

Dear Holly, Liz and Jewels,

this is absolutely fantastic! I love it and I can hardly wait for the next one ♥

Xoxo,

Isabelle
    Isabelle´s last blog post ..Schokostück ♥ Ein Must-Have für Chocoholics

2. Beccy commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 4:33pm

Looks amazing, great food and fabulous photos! I want to eat thestrawberry cheesecake… Beccy

3. Chloe Moon commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:40pm

This is so exciting!! I love watching food videos because you can only learn so much from just instructions and ingredients! Yeah! I look forward to seeing more! =)
    Chloe Moon´s last blog post ..52 Lists // Week 14 – List Your Childhood & Current Dream Jobs

4. Miss Drawingdream commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 5:43pm

Oh, wonderful photos! :) I shouldn`t read so many blogs on cooking ;)
    Miss Drawingdream´s last blog post ..4 Jahreszeiten – Four Seasons II

5. Sabine von azurweiss commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 6:54pm

Wonderful to meet those two lovely ladies on a regular basis her on decor8!
    Sabine von azurweiss´s last blog post ..Der Backbube verlost Juriannes Papierschiffchen

6. Juliette commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 7:10pm

Oh, I like this! and I like the video element as well; nice work everybody! and THANKS!
    Juliette´s last blog post ..In My Home: Art and Craft

7. irene b commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:18pm

Love this recipe and these 2 amazing girls too :)

8. Marjory commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 9:31pm

Food in motion..brilliant and delicious! This cakes looks divine. I would love to see some honey and alternative flours in recipes. Thank you ladies :)
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Edgewalkers of flow

9. KMP Modern commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 11:10pm

Wow, not only is this beautiful but so delicious! Congrats on this new venture. You are bringing together my two loves, food and design. Can’t wait to try your yummy recipe. I love these photos and the simplicity of the table setting.

10. Meeta commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 11:24pm

Thank you Holly for mentioning me! Looking forward to the series.
    Meeta´s last blog post ..Rhubarb, Ginger and Quark Strudel

11. Mary Lawson commented
    April 10th, 2013 at 11:30pm

So pretty! Your photos are a delight to look at. They are so inspiring. Keep up the great work.
    Mary Lawson´s last blog post ..July 2013 – June 2014 Galaxy Planner by studiopop

12. Maya commented
    April 11th, 2013 at 12:46am

Lovely video, a welcome new feature!

13. mel commented
    April 11th, 2013 at 1:59am

Love, love, LOVE! So great to see three talented ladies teaming up! Fab video Liz & Jewels! My kids enjoyed it too:) Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..Our Renovation, The Living Room

14. fenny setiawan commented
    April 11th, 2013 at 3:07am

I immediately fell in love this new series. I love to see more and more video-blog from my few fave bloggers.

This recipe is so easy to make and looked yummy in the video. I will definitely try it out.

Thank you, Holly for always bring a fresh ideas in Decor8, surely you know how to delight your readers :).

15. Kiki commented
    April 11th, 2013 at 7:24am

What a delicious post! Thanks a bunch.

16. Taneith Lanyon commented
    April 11th, 2013 at 7:28am

ahhhhh you had me at pistachio..

thankyou so much for sharing, this cake looks too yummie.
    xx

17. Liz commented
    April 11th, 2013 at 12:43pm

Thanks to all for the lovely comments!
    We’re so honored and proud to be presented on decor8!!!
    Thanks for having us, Holly!
    Liz´s last blog post ..We eat Americans.

18. Kate commented
    April 11th, 2013 at 7:33pm

I love this idea. Video is much easier for me to digest.

….Does that count as a pun?

19. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    April 14th, 2013 at 5:29am

Oh my goodness! What an absolute treat! Thank you!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Adoption | The wait

20. Kasha @ The FarmGirl Cooks commented
    April 29th, 2013 at 2:03pm

This looks great and I just happen to have a bag of shelled pistachios waiting for the perfect use!

Thanks!
    Kasha @ The FarmGirl Cooks´s last blog post ..Forgot to buy colored sugar for cookies? MAKE IT!

21. alena commented
    May 1st, 2013 at 9:47pm

hello ladies!
    Such a good plan to put a little lovely informative moving images with the recipe! Good work and smart plan!

22. Sharon commented
    May 6th, 2013 at 11:15pm

If possible could you please include cups/oz. etc for us poor people in the US who do not use the metric sys.

23. Stephanie commented
    September 8th, 2013 at 2:48pm

Hello Ladies,
    I just discovered your series “food in motion” and I love it!!! I just looked through all videos and they are amazing! I’m a big lover of beautiful food photos, but I never thought that a food video could be so wonderful, too (okay I even didn’t hear about such food videos before)! Your videos are so calm and peaceful and it seems so easy how you cook and bake…aww a dream (and the music fits always so perfectly to the video)! Thank you very much for this series ladies! Can’t wait to see more!
    Stephanie