Rooms

Crushing On Smeg Refrigerators

April 16, 2013

Okay so I’m thinking to buy a pure white SMEG refrigerator. I even started a smeg pinboard because it helps me to see all of my choices in one place (do you do that too?). Did you know that I once had a vintage 1950s super pale pink refrigerator when I was single living in Boston but left it behind in a rental apartment because I couldn’t find anyone to help me carry it out? Of course you didn’t, I never told you that story.

Crushing On Smeg Refrigerators

Okay so once upon a time I was like 23 years old and completely broke living from paycheck to paycheck, so I never could afford movers back then so when I moved, I bribed my friends in exchange for pizza and beer. But I always felt sad that I left pinky, my retro pink fridge, behind. Yeah, I named it. After a Pac-man character. I totally know that is strange but I was 20 when I first got it, so what do you expect? Well wait. I still name objects (even my husband’s white BMW, I named it stormtrooper). Back to the point of this post… I will never forget when my friend offered me the pink fridge that her husband had and cherished. He loved design and old stuff. And he happened to look just like Hugh Grant (Notting Hill version not current version) and I had this total crush on him because he was cute and loved design and lived in such a great house that he helped decorate. He was so cool.

Looking back, sheesh, can you believe I had a crush on a married guy? Have you ever had a crush on a married guy, but even more sinful, your friend’s husband? That’s pretty dark, right? I guess I can justify this because I was under 21 and you aren’t the brightest bulb in the lamp when you’re super hormonal and single and young.

I first saw that pale pink beauty in their home when I was 17 and fell in LOVE. I envied it for years. One day, when I was about 20, they offered it to me for free. I nearly died. I guess it’s because I nearly made out with it when I saw it in their kitchen (think Mary Katherine from Superstar – video clip here for a good laugh) so they figured I should be the new proud owner. That was a really good 3 years. I decorated my entire kitchen around that thing – I hung oversized floral wallpaper that was very Tricia Guild on the walls and painted the horrible brown wooden rental apartment cabinets in glossy white and, combined with my gorgeous pale pink fridge, I had a pretty rockin’ kitchen for a single girl with no bank account. And then, 3 years later, it was gone  and now I want a unique little refrigerator again and smeg would fill the gap I’ve had in my heart ever since. :) Especially a white one like this bad boy below…

Crushing On Smeg Refrigerators

I know most of my friends back home have these massive double door fridges with computerized this and built-in water systems and televisions that – lots of bells and whistles, some do the laundry and vacuum your home (kidding), but I’m living in Europe remember and people just don’t do ‘big’ here like we Americans do ‘big’.  So I think a Smeg fridge may be a good buy for my city apartment. It’s single door and normal-sized, and will hold what I need it to hold for a family of two. Plus, Smegs are trendy and usually I don’t care about what is trendy or not, unless I love the trend, and in this case I do so that’s fine.

Plus, how often do appliances trend? I think the smeg stove is popular, and the kitchenaid mixers are pretty trendy, but not much else in the appliance world really trends. (Too bad, appliance manufacturers need to smarten up because they could make a killing if they partnered with top bloggers to promote their goods, Igor are you listening – let’s change this!!!). I see smeg stuff in some of the best homes over here in Europe. I have this Smeg stove that I bought in England so I think he needs a lover and the lover will be called Smeg. Kinda like saying Meg with a lisp.

I wanted a Smeg when we first moved over in 2009 but couldn’t imagine spending the money on one, they’re not cheap, and the one we had worked perfectly fine. BUT. But now that our current refrigerator isn’t doing the job (joy! happy! time to justify this to the husband!), I’m ready to splurge and get something good and cute. This post is filled with some good pics from my inspiration file found via Pinterest showing smeg in a variety of kitchens from country to industrial, modern and retro… It’s pretty versatile for the most part.

Crushing On Smeg Refrigerators

Crushing On Smeg Refrigerators

Crushing On Smeg Refrigerators

Okay so enough chatter from me. I’m going to shut up and let you talk. What do you think? Do you have a Smeg refrigerator? Do you like it? I’d love some opinions on this! It’s not like I can buy one and return it. So any helpful advice would be great! Sometimes I wonder if aesthetics are soooo important, because when I see this fridge I imagine it would be so much better than a Smeg quality-wise with bells and whistles BUT it doesn’t have that retro charm… Hmmm…

(images: west elm, nordic leaves,ikea family live, Zilverblauw, bolig pluss. All my loves, great sites, so click on them, sit back, and enjoy!)

You Might Also Like

71 Comments

• Reply Heather B April 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm

My husband wants an apple-red Smeg! I don’t know why I’m not encouraging him more… If Thorsten was the Smeg – initiator, you’d be encouraging him, wouldn’t you Holly? What’s wrong with me?

• Reply Patchwork Harmnoy April 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I’m totally with ya on the Smeg love! I’ve wanted one since we moved into our house over 3 years ago! Actually probably much longer than that! But after our wedding in June we are getting our kitchen renovated and I AM having one! How oh how do you decide on the colour though?! I love the minty green, but perhaps cream is more neutral and long-lasting if you redecorate in future?! the decisions!
    Caroline x

• Reply Charlotte | Anknel and Burblets April 16, 2013 at 8:23 pm

We are definitely getting a white Smeg next year when we buy our forever home. I heard you have to defrost the freezers but that was a few years back. And then a matching dishwasher!!

• Reply Studio8940 - Thomas April 16, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I have a black matte Smeg. I LOVE IT! And I completely know how you feel when you left pinky behind. I could never leave my new fridge behind!

• Reply Zauberhafte April 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Hey,
    the pictures are so great. I love this refrigerator. Too bad that they do not fit in my kitchen.
    Many greetings, Stefanie

• Reply Ada Bea April 16, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Hello! We’ve had a smug fridge freezer for 15 years and loved it! It’s the bold blue colour and we called it the TARDIS not very original I know but it does look like Dr Who’s choice of transport and it does hold a lot more in it than you think!
    It’s coming to the end of its life now so new Smeg fridge will be purchased, I’m going for cream or pale blue this time, or the pink, depending on my mood on the day of purchase!
    However…..we’ve found the quality very poor, on the inside at least, just about EVERYTHING has snapped or broken, not the motor bit but the cosmetic bit! All early on in its life!
    And this is the bit that really gets me mad, I’m still going to buy something that is soooo expensive, of poor quality (perhaps we just got a dud one?!) just because I LOVE THE LOOK of it! Am I crazy or what!! I’m not sure that’s helped you really Holly…..sorry! :) x

• Reply Tina from A Few Pretty Things April 16, 2013 at 8:42 pm

If you have the most boring kitchen you can instantly uplift it by adding a smeg refrigerator. It is the prettiest ever. After all these years it exists I haven’t had enough of it and still dream it will be my own some day.
    And yes, the choice of color is a huge problem.

• Reply Sandra April 16, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I loved my pure white one but sold it just few days ago. With the new kitchen we’ll have again a built in. But for sure the Smeg looks sexier and has more charme and gives the kitchen a more individual look. But at this point I want my kitchen looks all clean with everything in cabinets. Go for it! Cheers, Sandra

• Reply Kimberly Hughes April 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Funny what you are saying because I actually write a blog for a big appliance retailer ;) And we do partner up with bloggers all the time! (I also write my own personal blog Swoon Worthy so I’m a blogger through and through, not just some person working in SEO who is trying to shamelessly get rubbish links off of bloggers.) If you want a smeg, we can help!! Email me and I’ll see what I can do. I don’t want to sound all spammy or anything but you asked so I’m offering. Drop me an email ;) x

• Reply Diana April 16, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I’ve heard from a couple of people that the build quality is not great, and parts break easily which I was really sad to hear because I really want one! Any thoughts?

• Reply Christiana April 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I think this is a great idea! It’s so pretty. Never would have thought of it.

• Reply Sarah April 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm

This is a crush that must be acted on… the smeg that is, not the married friends husband :) I just became the proud owner of a lovely mint green smeg, the larger model with the freezer at the bottom, we’re a family of 4 after all and the little top freezers just wouldn’t cut it. The crush has turned to full blown LOVE! I look at it a million times a day, I run my hand along it’s curved edges, admire it’s solid 50’s style handles and I pinch myself that it’s mine. I bought mine online secondhand, for a fraction less than it would have cost to replace my old, small, faulty, ugly fridge, so there wasn’t alot of choice regarding colour, but I’m so pleased it’s mint. It looks great with all my 50’s pastels and will look awesome when (one day) I get my new all white kitchen. DO IT, BUY IT!

• Reply Sarah April 16, 2013 at 9:09 pm

@Ada Bea: My husband calls ours the Tardis too!!! He thinks we could all fit in there.

• Reply Jenn April 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm

ohh I love Smeg fridges!!! We dream of getting one as well! I think we would go for a creamy white, but im really loving that red one as well. xx

• Reply Isabelle April 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

We had a blue denim Smeg in the showroom at the Küchenmeile A30 Showroom last September and it was sooooo cool! I had quite a crush on it ♥

Xoxo,

Isabelle

• Reply margherita April 16, 2013 at 9:51 pm

strutture essenziali ma di design

• Reply Sandra April 16, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Hi Holly,

I am sorry, but I totally agree with Ada.

We have a red Fab30 for 6 years now I think. I wanted it so bad back then for our first appartment… And I still love the look of them! But actually I really don’t like the quality. It often freezes in the fridge part and the doors close poorly. I also had to replace the glass and the drawer for vegetables.
    When we will move I will get rid of it. We won’t have the room for it then, anyhow, as it’s bigger than the standard room you usually assume here in Germany. And I guess there are more economic and environmentally conscious friges/freezers. When I see my mums and how well hers keeps fruit and veggies… It’s really not worth the money!

Well, curious on how you decide:)

• Reply JAN April 16, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Go on, get one, you dont need bells and whistles, just a completely gorgeous Smeg.

• Reply Gudy Herder April 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I think I can’t comment on the Smeg selection.
    Still laughing with your hilarious memories about your teen life. What is interesting about your little story is how you made your way from broken Cinderella to the renown author you are nowadays. And that deserves a …yes, white Smeg!

• Reply decor8 April 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm

@Gudy – Well, I wasn’t broken, just broke (meant no money in English, not emotionally broken). :)

• Reply Sally April 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I also have a Smeg crush, so much so that I have fantasized about finding one in an outlandish color for sale at a very reduced price and planning my whole color scheme around it! My preference is for yellow but that’s because my great-grandmother had a lovely non-Smeg fridge from the 50s in primrose yellow. She had her little curved cream mantel radio sitting on top of it. It’s interesting how the style of these items is back in fashion.

• Reply uschi April 16, 2013 at 10:47 pm

go for it. smeg refrigerators are real beauties. i personally would go for the one with the union jack design :-) the bosch fridge is ugly and boring, no matter how good the quality might be

• Reply Tina Ramchandani April 16, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I love the Smeg, especially in white. From what I’ve seen of your apartment thus far it will fit right in. Go for it! After all, it will keep your food cold, and that’s all that matters, right? (I have no bells and whistles, I live in a rental, so I know you can do without them!)

• Reply Alex April 17, 2013 at 12:39 am

Gorenje makes very nice fridges/freezers that have a retro look (and lots of color options) but hold up to modern standards such as being very energy effcient. I bought one 6 months ago and am really happy with it. It could be a little more silent, though.

However, they seem to sell them in Erope only…

• Reply decor8 April 17, 2013 at 12:05 pm

@Alex – Well I live in Germany so that’s okay, I’m going to check them out for sure, thank you!!!

• Reply Naomi April 17, 2013 at 1:29 am

Love the smeg fridges and have done for years. Jamie Oliver used to have a pale blue one in his kitchen in one of his very early series and I feel in love with it.

• Reply Vera April 17, 2013 at 2:16 am

Love retro fridges, and I am also getting very close to buying one for my new place. I’ve come across some bad reviews on Smeg fridges which have me doubting my decision (they are pricey). I also saw Gorenje’s retro lines that are a lot more affordable. In saying that, I have no idea what their quality is like. Does anyone know?

• Reply Milynn April 17, 2013 at 4:00 am

I looooove these fridges! I love how colorful they are, if given the chance, I would so get one.

• Reply laurie April 17, 2013 at 7:00 am

You crack me up – Meg with a lisp. It should therefore be called a smush instead of a crush. I think the first one I saw was long ago in Jamie Oliver’s apartment. On television, not for real unfortunately. I had such a smush on him back then.

• Reply Clare April 17, 2013 at 8:16 am

Ohh I love the pale blue or mint green, yum

• Reply Daniella de Grood April 17, 2013 at 8:23 am

Hi Holly,
    I was thinking about buying a Smeg too, but after inspecting it closer at the store, I was kind of dissappointed. It does not look so nice in reality, especially from the side. The white strip between the door looks cheap, and the door feels very plastic and light. Just go take a look in a store where they sell them, I think you will change your mind…
    Love, Daniella

• Reply Estee Tea April 17, 2013 at 8:46 am

I first saw it in pink in Living ETC long long ago, not my favorite color, but the retro shape and design won me over. Then I saw it in white, and totally swoon over it. Subsequently, saw the real thing in blue and yellow, by then I was totally brainwashed to like the retro fridge after seeing it popping up in various interior blogs.
    Bosch has a classic/retro line too, but something about it just isn’t right.
    I am waiting for my current fridge to break down too, and taking the chance to save up in the mean time, so that I do not have any excuse not to get one later!

• Reply decor8 April 17, 2013 at 12:03 pm

@Estee Tea – I’m actually looking at the Bosch fridges – I’m a little worried about Smeg given the horrible reviews online and the not so positive comments here. It’s been really helpful to me to ask my dear readers!

• Reply Josefin April 17, 2013 at 9:22 am

I Love smeg in all these fresh spring colours! I want one, I NEED one!

• Reply ange April 17, 2013 at 10:12 am

for me, a well designed piece of appliance also needs to be practical & worth the dosh…this unfortunately is not one of those. i know thats not what you wanted to hear…sorry! saying that, i would consider this in an outdoor-ish entertainment area however not as my main cooler.

• Reply Mrs Bok April 17, 2013 at 10:33 am

Yes they look fab! But their quality is soooooo disappointing. I’ve gone back to a normal frost free fridge!

• Reply nadine April 17, 2013 at 10:58 am

I love the pink the blue and the green…I think I need 3 kitchen ^3^ (btw the floor of the pink fridge’s kitchen is fabulous!!!)

• Reply Sarah April 17, 2013 at 11:11 am

My parents have a smeg. They bought it when ebay just started out and people thought they could earn tons of money when other people bid on their stuff. That’s how they got it really cheap in Italy. The fridge is beige and I love it so much.

However if they could choose again, they said, they would opt for a version with an external freezer. It has a little freezer part inside but that’s not so good.

So if you’re really considering buying one, think about the option with a fridge/freezer combination with 2 separate doors. That would be my advice.

• Reply Jade April 17, 2013 at 11:22 am

Love, love, love. I want a Smeg too! How beautiful are they! A big high-five Smeg for continuing to manufacture such aesthetically beautiful fridges.

• Reply Daphne April 17, 2013 at 11:47 am

Hahaha I just thought that this post was hilarious! I love Smegs too, and have been in love with them since my early teen years. Each time I go into a store and see these beauties, I convince my self ‘one day…’. I would love the Union Jack version or a fire red one. If you really love them like you do, I’d say GO FOR IT!

• Reply Sharon April 17, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I was going to buy one a couple of years ago but the sales assistant was very negative about them and they were not frost free which means defrosting the freezer (total TOTAL pain especially in the tropics where that humid air just grows ice like weeds!) This may have changed if it has I say go for it if it hasn’t I would think very hard if you wants to spend precious time scraping ice off your freezer.

• Reply sue April 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm

i love and have always loved Smeg refrigerators. I would love to have one one day, but up to now, have never had the space. Maybe when I get my house by the sea :)

• Reply Emma April 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm

In my opinion, Smeg’s are for those who need status symbols in their home. It’s expensive and looks nice, but not practical (bulky but with little space inside) and of poor quality.

Gorenje is a low-cost brand, and the quality is… well, you get what you pay for. Even their more expensive models are quite bad.

If I was getting a new fridge, I’d opt for a built-in, and some good quality brand like Bosch. :)

• Reply Cottage Katie April 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm

WOW!! Those are some beautifully fantastic refrigerators! You know you’re an adult when you day dream about a sleek looking fridge! I love the array of colors they come in and the shape is so curvaceous :)

• Reply Kimberly @ Painted Love Blog April 17, 2013 at 8:59 pm

love the look of these! Although stainless is nice, everybody has it and these Smegs are a great pop o’ colour!

• Reply Inge April 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Hi Holly,
    I can understand why you have a crush with SMEG fridges… I had one too! :-) And I still love them. It’s always so nice to look at my red fridge when I enter my kitchen….
    I have one since 3 years almost. And I love it. It was something I’ve wanted for years and finally we were able to have one! We looked on the internet to compare the prices and got ours via a Dutch site (not sure which one) since their prices were the cheapest.
    At first we were also looking for Gorenje fridges, but a lot of consultants in stores were advising us not to buy one – they are cheaper but there are more “problems” with them.

Although we’ve heard also a lot of negative points of SMEG fridges, I can honestly say we had no problems yet in these 3 years…

The only downside I can tell is I have this little mini freezer on top of the fridge and it really frosts easily. My advice? Just go for a full fridge of SMEG without the freezer-part.

I will never part with my little red “hottie”. ;-) Not even if we move out and find a new home where there’s a fridge and freezer already… ;-)

Good luck and I had to laugh so hard when you were telling you were almost making out with that couple’s fridge. I could almost imagine you flirting with that fridge. Haha, it cracked me up! And a little secret: I also name things, so funny you mentioned it here!! :-D My first car was officially named “The Red Hot Chili Peppa'”. Just because it was fast and small and it totally rocked the streets. :-D

• Reply Alex April 17, 2013 at 11:00 pm

@Vera: I have the Gorenje RK60359OC in champagne (creme/beige) and I’m really happy with it so far (6 months). The quality of all parts is very solid and the doors work very well. The freezer didn’t need defrosting so far and the fridge has auto-defrost anyway. Vegetables stay fresh very long in the fridge (much longer than in my old fridge). The only minus for me is that it could be quieter. It only makes noises for a couple of minutes when the compressor is working, though. Most of the time it is totally quiet. So not too bad. The design is really great and I like that the champagne color is almost white so it matches my white kitchen very well – while still having that retro tint. I can only recommend it!

• Reply Alex April 17, 2013 at 11:09 pm

@decor8: Achso, na dann super! I really like mine, you should really comsider that option. I bought mine via Amazon and it went all well. (They cost a lot more at Saturn/Mediamarkt etc.) Haha, I feel like some sort of Gorenje representative but I just remember how I was unsure whether to buy one or not myself and wanted to share that I don’t regret it so far.

• Reply Alex April 17, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Ah, and one more thing: You can’t change the side of the door’s hinge of a Gorenje retro! So you need to know on what side you want the hinge to be before you get one. They offer both versions, left and right, but prizes are slightly different.

• Reply Elena April 18, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I have one in apple green ,and i loved to ,i think that the most ugly kitchen start to shine with one of these beauties!

• Reply Leila April 18, 2013 at 3:12 pm

My mother gave me her pink Smeg fridge – the same one as in the picture – when she got a house with an integral fridge/freezer. Pink isn’t my favourite colour, but I always loved the fridge! All my female friends love it (the guys are bemused by how hyper girls get about it). Mum bought it about nine or ten years ago and it is still going strong. I haven’t defrosted the freezer yet and I’ve had it for three years. The lightbulb has blown a couple of times, in fact it needs to be changed again now, and a couple of the clip-in shelf things have snapped, but we didn’t need them anyway. I would never have been able to afford this fridge myself, and I love it – I slightly wish it was mint green but hey, at least it isn’t a boring white box!

• Reply Jane April 18, 2013 at 4:03 pm

The Smeg fridges look fantastic. To be honest, they are slightly more beautiful than Gorenje. But Gorenje is better value for money. The Smeg quality is not briljant and Smeg is expensive.

• Reply Gudy Herder April 18, 2013 at 6:23 pm

@decor8: sorry, that’s what I wanted to say too :-)))

• Reply decor8 April 18, 2013 at 11:58 pm

@Gudy – ha ha!!!!!

• Reply Desha Peacock April 19, 2013 at 4:48 am

I’m sold. I really want a small vintage fridge and didn’t know you could buy one like this brand new. I’m on it!

• Reply Clarisse April 19, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I love SMEG refrigerators. I wish I could buy one – maybe one day. A girl can dream right? :-D Funny that KitchenAid mixers are now trendy. I’ve had mine for almost 30 years (since high school) and it still works!

• Reply Lara April 20, 2013 at 12:56 am

Hey Holly,

I have had my Smeg for just over a year and I love it. I have had no issues with the interior elements (perhaps they have made improvements?). I am single and it suits my lifestyle very well. I got it directly from Smeg US and they were wonderful to deal with. I did two blog reports on it with more info and interior pics, the first one here & you’ll find a link to the follow up
    at the top of the page…

• Reply Anja April 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Oh Sweg, my love. Want one as well. Especially that mint one or the red one look good. Definitely brings some retro vibe to your kitchen, but I guess it is not the biggest fridge. I would still buy it, if I had the space and the funds! Go for it and share the pics!

• Reply cindy brown April 27, 2013 at 3:40 pm

So I’m thinking so very RETRO and I say go for it. Trendy or not, we all know that decor is about what one likes and fits one’s personality! I lived in Germany FRG for almost 2 years and traveled thruout Europe while there. I have always felt felt that from that time hence my tastes run toward the Euoropean. Are you thinking white Holly?

• Reply decor8 April 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

@Cindy – yes pure white though – not cream

• Reply Jenny Lynn April 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I like the red! I think I am in love with SMEG!

• Reply Becky May 14, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Oh gosh . . . smeg really does it for me. We were walking through Barcelona’s cathedral district the other day, and there they were: three smegs parked right next to each other. Orange, yellow, blue. Race car colors. Had it not been siesta, and had the gate to the store not been down, I might have been in danger of abusing my credit card, though how I would have gotten a smeg home at the conclusion of our sabbatical here in Spain, I don’t know. Yes, I’m smitten!

• Reply evina August 8, 2013 at 11:21 pm

the most beautiful fridges around. sfortunatamente, the quality does not go along….worst fridge i ever had for 2500 euros…

• Reply Simone Haag September 4, 2013 at 12:28 pm

How cool -my place made the cut! That is my house with the For Like Ever poster. Chuffed! x Simone Haag

• Reply Houston September 20, 2013 at 5:22 am

So Cool! I would go for a yellow one. We have all orange everything in our house, couches, kitchen aide, coffee machine…. a yellow smeg would pop!

• Reply Lynne Hilton October 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Heather B, DO NOT BUY A SMEG FRIDGE THEY ARE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE….badly made, had to have new motor within a few months, parts inside break and are very brittle, and the freezer compartment and interior fan have also broken…..absolutely a rip off…………..don’t be fooled by the lovely look of them……..food inside maggot ridden and water drips everywhere total waste of money ….hard earned.

• Reply Liz December 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Smeg do not even make their FAB models – they are all made by Gorenje for them.
    Gorenje models come with 5 years parts & labour cover unlike Smeg.
    There are lots of people who like the Retro look and lots who complain about build quality, etc. There are always people who will complain whether it’s made by Candy or Miele – no appliance is ever perfect.
    I myself don’t see the point in paying £1149 for a Smeg model when I can buy the Gorenje for £700. As long as I can see it before I buy it and check how it looks and feels then I am happy.
    Having that S M E G badge just can’t beat a better price and longer warranty.

• Reply Jill October 18, 2014 at 3:04 am

I know this post is from quite some time ago. I too have been crushing over the candy colored Smeg’s. After reading they are poor quality, well………
    I did find the Elmira Northstar cuties. The small one being around $2400.00.

.elmirastoveworks.com/northstar/refrigerators/colors/

• Reply kristin March 8, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I too have a huge crush and always haved on Smeg… this habit is hard to kick, and Im afraid it will never go away. Do you know by chance, where in the US I could purchase one used??

Im not have any gosh darn luck!

Thanks for your pintrest pic – love them!!

Kristin Baker – Vermont

• Reply janie March 28, 2015 at 3:11 am

I too always wanted a Smeg – I finally got the object of my desire and while it IS beautiful, I suggest you think VERY carefully about buying one, especially the one manufactured in Italy with the fridge freezer. Mine has always been a terrible fridge with bits breaking off and the freezer compartment icing up every week, and also inside the back wall of the fridge itself. Finally I got a technician out – I was told it has a bad energy rating which is not good environmentally, and that the seals around the fridge door have 5mm gaps (Google this problem and see how many people have the same issue). The fix? A whole new door…a door that is immaculate in every way. A door that has to be shipped from Italy to New Zealand, and costs MORE than an entire new fridge from another manufacturer. I know, it is so sexy, but very, very disappointing for what is essentially supposed to be first and foremost functional.