Free People Offices + Friendship

I haven’t been able to read blogs that much over the past month as I’ve been a bit overloaded with work… So today I decided to treat myself and spend 30 minutes catching up with my favorite bloggers. It felt like a really big cupcake with a double espresso but without the sugar and calories! We need these simple time outs, don’t you think? I have to remember to pause during my workday more often.

Free People photo freepeople-1.jpg

Anyway, while reading, I came across two really good posts, one about friendship and another showing a beautiful tour of the Free People office in Philadelphia (see this post I did in 2007 showing their space). Both posts are from fashion blogger extraordinaire and photographer, Garance Dore. But of course, right? I love what she said about friendship and jealousy. “Stupid Problems that can Kill a Friendship – Jealousy: Jealousy stems from desire. Before you hate someone because she has everything you want, you usually start by loving her from everything she has. Keep yourself in check.” Well said.

Free People photo freepeople1.jpg

So inspiring! I love reading blogs where the reader takes you into her head and her work. I feel so bored lately when I just read blogs about products. I need to feel a part of something bigger than just shopping for products. I know, I say this after posting my favorite etsy shops this week. Well, I do that because I want to support etsy sellers and promote them because I know so many struggle to keep their dreams alive. But still, I am not always posting products on decor8. I get bored by it. When it comes to blogs, I love to read about how to make things, what people are REALLY thinking and the inspiring places where others hang out, etc. I think that’s why I loved these two posts so much on Garance’s blog, because I relate to how bloggers are living and working and what they do to find stories for their blogs, and I love hearing about their conversations with other bloggers and colleagues, because those conversations make me really think.

And okay, I really love those clipboards in the hallway shown above at Free People because I have covered clipboards in my office too but love that they have SO MANY. I wonder what they use them for?

(images: garance dore)

Posted by decor8 in blogs on April 16, 2013

1. Lottie :: Oyster & Pearl commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 4:12pm

Wow – looks like such a beautiful, inspiring place.

I’m trying hard to sort our house out in order that it becomes a much easier and more beautiful place to be. I’m calling it Project Simplify, and blogging about it as I go: http://oyster-pearl.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/project%20simplify
    Lottie :: Oyster & Pearl´s last blog post ..Living the dream

2. Stacey commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 5:09pm

Such a gorgeous and creative space!
    Stacey´s last blog post ..In the Kitchen.

3. ale norris commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 5:27pm

while i’m not at all surprised that this is what the free people offices look like, i’m insanely jealous! i love anything with exposed brick + that much natural light. great, inspiring office space to work in.
    ale norris´s last blog post ..weekends were made for…

4. Rosa Paula commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 5:48pm

I’m a super fan of Garance Doré (and yours, of course). I could totally see you both hanging out together, two of my favorite happy inspiring bloggers!
    I saw this office this week in her blog too. It has such an inspiring and creative atmosphere, doesn’t it?
    Rosa Paula´s last blog post ..Perfume embalado em tecido * Wrapping with fabric

5. sunny commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 6:24pm

what a beautiful photo of the Free People office. Thank you for sharing the link to the friendship article. Her words are so true! I had just been mulling over the fact that I’ve felt distanced from a few friends because I haven’t made time to check in with them lately. This was the kick in the pants I needed to make those calls!
    sunny´s last blog post ..in my house: colorful children’s room

6. theaxx commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 6:30pm

ooh! Agreed! I love how the chairs are all different fabrics!

thea.
    xx

7. decor8 commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 6:57pm

@Rosa – Yeah I agree, she and I are kindred spirits and have a very similar personality – I hope to meet her someday, would love that actually.

8. Marjory commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 7:15pm

What is there not to love about that tour of the Free People office? Exposed brick, wooden floors, gorgeous accent colors. Spacious, light-filled, playful. Love! Good food for thought on friendship.. :)
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Imagine immensities. Begin now.

9. Tania Welch commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 8:01pm

Hi Holly-I’m so glad that you wrote about the fact that you like to read about what’s going on inside the heads of the blog author.

I have a feature on my blog called Simply Thought (full) where I get a bit introspective and write about lessons learned recently or thoughts about life in general. I often times write these posts because they help me sort out my thoughts. Honestly, they are some of my favorite posts to write because they are truly from the heart and from the heart comes easily to me. Yet, I’ve often wondered if people actually care to read them or are most people just wanting eye candy and not these lengthy posts that border on “touchy feel”. I’m glad to know someone like yourself is looking for more of these. :)

If you are interested here is one of those posts I mentioned above:http://www.shopindobay.com/2013/03/14/simply-thought-full/#.UW2Rqb-0HUQ

Be well,
    Tania
    Tania Welch´s last blog post ..Renovator’s Notebook: Kitchen Faucets

10. Jenn commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 9:20pm

Love Free People and Garance Dore, lovely combo! Boho, fashion and eclectic living, love it. Thanks for sharing :)

11. Monique B commented
    April 16th, 2013 at 9:22pm

What a great space to create in. I love all the distinct areas they have set up in the open space they have.

I think those clipboards might actually be storage bins with little tags hanging on the open handles. Maybe? Either way, I love how they organized the colors!

12. Chessia Kelley commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 2:47am

Thank you so much for this beautiful reminder that it is the blogs that dig a bit deeper have the most resonance. I love the personal touch, the connection with other women. I guess that is why I love Decor8. Thanks. ps. hot tip about Garance! Added to my feed.

13. Diane | An Extraordinary Day commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 5:20am

“When it comes to blogs, I love to read about how to make things, what people are REALLY thinking and the inspiring places where others hang out, etc. ”
    That’s it!! I’ve been trying to figure out what’s working and what’s not and I think you hit it. I’m amazed at how popular my post on making book page flowering branches was this past week. A quick simple tutorial that real people can do seems to be attractive to readers. I think sometimes we try too hard to impress rather than be real and speak from our hearts.
    I know that talking about products can be income producing. But sometimes it’s like prostituting the blog…and I wonder how many unsubscribes a blog gets when they talk about personal care products, etc.
    Anyway…thanks for sharing your thoughts. They sparked an ah ha! moment for me.
    Wishing you An Extraordinary Day!
    Diane | An Extraordinary Day´s last blog post ..Sing Songs of Joy! :: Joy Day!

14. laurie commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 7:06am

@Monique B: That’s what I thought too…storage bins. But I love your idea of walls of fabric covered clip boards, Holly. They don’t have to have a use, do they?

15. Kreetta commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 9:57am

Wow, I would love to work in that office or same kind of office. One should cahnge all the offices in the world more people friendly. Thanks for sharing, it’s always a pleasure to see how and where other creative people work. I love those plants…lately I have had a thing with plants…maybe it’s only a spring :)
    Kreetta´s last blog post ..Photography Concept and Styling – PROCESS

16. decor8 commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 12:02pm

@Kreetta: I was once a project manager and helped designed office spaces for my company and remember one move we did where we completed gutted a massive floor in a building in Boston’s financial district and designed it to be really funky and cool. Employee morale was at an all-time high after they moved over there. Seeing them work more productively, with an extra bounce in their step each day, was a real highlight in my career. I loved being involved in something so important – a beautiful work environment is really important.

17. my hyggelig commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 1:52pm

Your post hit a chord with me yesterday. Not the office part, which is nice, but the ” I feel so bored lately when I just read blogs about products. I need to feel a part of something bigger than just shopping for products” part.

I’ve been a bit tired of social media lately, and that includes my own blogging after doing it for 7 years. I have always been ‘bored’ with blogs that started out from the heart, and then moved to the stats, and the ads, and the multiple product posts. I’m even more bored now.

Blogging has evolved over the years, which is great. But I miss people blogging from the heart, being relatable, being honest. And also – we don’t all need more junk. We need to purchase as humans living on planet earth, but we need to purchase wisely, not just because someone tells us the cheap junk from overseas is trending because they said so. Thanks for your post!
    my hyggelig´s last blog post ..living with a conscience…

18. Melanie commented
    April 19th, 2013 at 10:17pm

YES, THIS! The boring part! I’ve been doing so much thinking and sorting about what I want to do and where I want my blog to go over the past couple of months. I feel like there’s a social media and blogging shift going on – well, I guess there’s kind of ALWAYS some kind of shift going on since more and more new types of sharing methods pop up every day. I feel like blogging + social media might be trending toward “smaller.” Not smaller in terms of numbers, but in who people/companies/brands are talking to – more defined, maybe. More thoughtful/intentional. I like it.
    Melanie´s last blog post ..Friday Focus : Let’s Get Creative

19. maria commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 7:19pm

they are drawers, not clipboards… I’ve seen them on their blog.