Home Tours, Inspiration

Gorgeous Rotterdam Home

April 17, 2013

Do you love open plan living? Then you’ll enjoy this home. It was such a treat to see this space in Rotterdam photographed for Houzz by the lovely Holly Marder, an American living in the Netherlands who writes a blog called Avenue. I don’t read Houzz regularly but I do read Holly’s blog, so I was so excited to see this home pop up today on her site. She is also such a doll, she visited me in Hannover last year and will come again in the Fall, she is my newest blogger pal. I love the dining room that opens into the kitchen, such a light and bright space. I think what really wows me is the overall architecture, I mean look at those windows! To die for!

Gorgeous Rotterdam Home

Gorgeous Rotterdam Home

Gorgeous Rotterdam Home

This three-story, 2,368 square feet, 19th-century home is located in Rotterdam and along with the neighboring row of houses, was awarded the 2012 Rotterdam Architecture Prize for modern urban renewal. Wouldn’t you LOVE to take an old building and gut renovate it? MY DREAM is to do this.

In fact, I am currently on the look out for something in Hannover so we’ll see, perhaps in a year or two decor8 will turn into Holly Becker’s Home Renovation blog. :) Oh boy! I wonder what you guys would think of THAT?

See more on Houzz and on Avenue. Enjoy!

(images: holly marder)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Elena April 17, 2013 at 1:02 pm

So up my alley! Open and clean.

• Reply Quinn Cooper April 17, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Simple yet really beautiful! The kitchen is my favorite part, love the color of the cabinets.
    xo Quinn
    Quinn Cooper Style

• Reply Sonia April 17, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Gorgeous! Holly is also my new blogger friend and we’ve met irl. Indeed a sweet girl!

• Reply Marit April 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for sharing Holly, I really like the avenue blog and will follow it!

• Reply Holly {Avenue} April 17, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Holly, what a compliment! Thank you for sharing my images and your (and Sonia’s!) sweet words. Looking forward to hanging out later this year. Holly xoxo

• Reply decor8 April 17, 2013 at 4:06 pm

@Holly who is Sonia?

• Reply Holly {Avenue} April 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm

@Decor8 Sonia is the shop owner and blogger behind Gosto Design & Lifestyle (www.gosto-webshop.nl) We worked on a shoot together a few months ago and she is lovely! x

• Reply decor8 April 17, 2013 at 4:14 pm

@Holly – Oh I know here, she won a seat in my last Blogging Your Way class. She is so nice!!!

• Reply Kate April 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Having just got back from a brief holiday in Amsterdam I am bursting with admiration for the Dutch sense of style. Peering in through all the huge windows to see endless cool and quirky interiors was like a walking through the pages of an interiors mag. This house in Rotterdam is no exception. I may have to move!

• Reply charmaine April 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

oh that is such a gorgeous home! I love the kitchen in particular x

• Reply Angela April 18, 2013 at 7:47 am

So pretty! I’m from Holland and I’m traveling around the world looking for a better place to live but this makes me want to go back and live in Holland again!

• Reply Jane April 18, 2013 at 10:41 am

Great pictures. Beautiful architecture. The combination of wood, exposed brickwork and loads of light works fantastic. Love the lamps!

• Reply Danette April 18, 2013 at 5:42 pm

That is a beautiful kitchen. I, too, would love to renovate a home and then live in it forever. Ok, maybe not forever. I often feel we don’t appreciate the older things and history in general. It’s so sad. As a culture we’d rather have something new rather than put hard work, time, and love into preserving and restoring old things.

• Reply Chrystina April 20, 2013 at 5:45 am

You really know how to get a girl going. Wow, absolutely love these pictures. Thanks for sharing, Holly!

• Reply kalanicut April 27, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Ah! So in love. Living in a boring box of an apartment (albeit I’ve tried to style it up!) I ache for some high ceilings, light, big windows and non-cookie cutter design. This is so beautiful. My heart opens up and sings thinking about that open space & air! That kitchen is simple gorgeous and gorgeously simple! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply angela April 29, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I love this, my only question is what do they do for privacy?

• Reply angela April 29, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I love this, my only question is what do they do for privacy? That is a lot of windows and I didn’t see any kind of coverings…
    Hmm. I might choose some kind of semi-transparent sheer curtains so as not to filter out the light or add too much bulk.