Blog Tip: How To Talk About Your Good News Without Annoying Everyone

I try not to post much on decor8 about my books or press stuff because I think it can get super annoying super fast. Bloggers who write books (guilty) then constantly push them (guilty again) and travel all over the planet to promote them (still guilty) annoy me sometimes, too because a blog you once read and loved suddenly turns into an infomercial where every post seems to drop yet another link to their book. Why do they do it then? Are bloggers bad people?

Really Good News Column

Oh my gosh, of course not! Quite the opposite really, most bloggers I know are absolute sweethearts. But being an author has become a huge numbers game, a popularity contest – something I never imagined authors even dealt with until I became one. I never thought about Amazon rankings and bestsellers lists or print runs or book tours… I never imagined any of it. I became an author to just write stuff and reach more people with my ideas with hopes of inspiring them and myself at the same time. I guess I was naive when I started writing books. I thought you just submitted your text to your editor and poof! the publisher did the rest and you just sat back and watched as you began pulling together another concept to pitch for your next title.

This is not the case. Anyone who writes books nowadays knows exactly what I’m talking about. You really have to work for your success as an author like anything else in life. I LOVE writing and feel tremendously honored to currently be working on my third book. So how do I talk about this stuff on my blog without making you guys feel annoyed, or jealous, or like you want to run away?

Well, I have a solution and I hope this helps bloggers everywhere who struggle with this.

But first, I want to mention that bloggers who write books and talk about them in every other post mean no harm. I mean no harm. I sit through it while reading my favorite blogs  because I know they mean well, it’s a big accomplishment, and they’re just doing it because they are excited and want their book to do well. It makes you feel good when you spend a year of your life writing a book that sells well upon release. No wants their book to flop! Plus, it means you can write more books and if you happen to love to write, then that is great. Promoting books is not what bloggers want to do, trust me, it’s super uncomfortable! This is coming from me, a total extrovert… Talking about my accomplishments like press mentions, books, and anything else that turns me into a business woman and not just a nice lady who enjoys writing stuff on my blog, makes me feel kind of awkward. But the truth is, I really am happy when people write about me and I want to talk about this stuff on my blog.

So I was thinking, how do I still shout out those who are writing reviews and talking about me in magazines, etc. ? In a really casual “by the way” kind of post . That’s how! I want to feel good about this and I want you to feel good about this. I want to promote what I am proud of doing, after all… So I’ve decided that once a week, if I have some good work-related news to share, I’ll bundle all of it into one lovely post called, “Really Good News”. I like that title because everyday we hear really bad news so something good is welcome and positive. Plus, with a dedicated column for this stuff, I don’t have to feel weird of guilty posting about my happy news and you don’t have to feel annoyed and bored. Great compromise!

Stay tuned for the first I Really Like This News post. Coming up soon! And Bloggers – if you battle with this too, I invite you to copy my column idea and make your own regular column with a cool name where you can really open up about your work accomplishments, press mentions, etc. It’s a good blog tip, right?

xo, Holly

Posted by decor8 in Really Good News on April 17, 2013

1. Becky - pretty dandy commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 1:54pm

I love this idea, it’s a really nice way to compromise and for you not to feel bad. I write my blog for my (retail) website, so for me it’s the other way round… the blog gives me something to share so I don’t feel like I’m always selling. I don’t want to ever “hard sell” people, I just want to find beautiful, fun, creative things for their home and then let them know where they are if they want them. But simultaneously I want my business to succeed so I can do more of that “finding beautiful things” stuff, so it’s a tricky balance to attain.

I think most people appreciate that you are excited about your books and work and enjoy it by proxy, it’s nice to feel you’re a small part of someone else’s success, if only because you’ve been a reader of their blog for a long time!

So well done on all your good news, and don’t feel bad about sharing it!

becky
    x

2. Cheryl from BusiChic commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 1:58pm

Omg you’ve so hit the nail on the head for me; I had an exhibition and book come out at the same time and it’s all I thought about but even worse now that I realise; all I blogged about for a while there. Oops :(

That said when I see others sharing their “Wins” so long the tone of the piece resonates with me, as a reader I’m excited to follow the blogger’s journey. I vicariously “live the dream” through them but am also cheering them on and want the insider scoop from them.

Really Good News is a cute and vibrant title. As my audience and content are sbout style in the workplace, I think I’d just call mine “News”. I look forward to seeing yours!
    Cheryl from BusiChic´s last blog post ..Inspired by the new Qantas uniform designed by Martin Grant

3. Tina Ramchandani commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 1:59pm

I think bundling all the promoting is a good thing, although I think most of us don’t mind hearing about a new book or book tour. That’s because many of us want to buy your new book or attend your tour! The bundled post is still a good idea because this way we know what to expect. (You taught me that!)
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Hang Up Your Coats! A Coat Rack Roundup

4. Sprout commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 2:02pm

I really like this idea! I know what you mean about tooting your own horn. There’s a fine line that can sound like you’re bragging. It’s why I don’t have all of my awards plaques hanging up, much to my staff’s consternation who are really proud of the work we do. Must be the Calvinist New Englander in me…but your weekly good news, is good news!

5. Lina Östling commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 2:15pm

That is good news and a very good idea!! Thanks for charing :-) Lina

6. karla commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 2:34pm

I love this so much! As a reader, I’ve never thought you were tooting your own horn though. Congrats on the third book!

7. christelle is flabbergasting commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 2:47pm

Great post Holly! I like your advices to bloggers to do the same on their blog. You know why I love reading Decor8 for so many years? Because you are always sincere and always happy to help your readers! So, again: thank you!
    christelle is flabbergasting´s last blog post ..Faire son pain maison (sans pétrissage) : c’est trop cool, les enfants.

8. Janel from NellieBellie commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 2:51pm

This is so beautiful and what a fantastic idea!! Heading over to see now!
    Janel from NellieBellie´s last blog post ..Homemade Spinach Pesto. yum-o!

9. Giulia commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 3:02pm

I really like the way YHL did it. They would have occasional posts about the book writing process. They were very instructional posts, based on the proposal, the writing, the photo sessions, there was always something to learn.
    After publishing their book, they did book tour posts, but only every 3 weeks or so. Other than that I believe they don’t mention it much – I believe they mentioned only once that the book was a NYTimes bestseller and only in a way to show that that didn’t mean that they were millionaires now. They never put the book or press mentions on Pinterest and only occasionally tweeted from the book tour. They have mastered being proud of their work, creating something they dreamed about doing and not overdoing the self-promotion. They are very humble and very successful in selling their book and I like that they have a dedicated page on their blog that talks in more detail about the book.
    Giulia´s last blog post ..Mango and Pineapple Salad and dreaming of exotic warm places

10. decor8 commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 3:14pm

@Giulia – What is YHL?

11. Katharina commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 3:34pm

What a great idea! I’m looking forward reading your Really Good News! And hopefully I will have the need to do something similar in the future!
    Katharina´s last blog post ..Kann ich mal deine Nummer haben? – {Kleine Helferlein #2}

12. Giulia commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 3:40pm

@decor8: Young House Love

13. Jane commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 3:41pm

@decor8: Young House Love, maybe? Fab idea, Holly.
    Jane´s last blog post ..Celebrating Easter 2013 on Planet Baby

14. Shayla commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 3:45pm

Hi Holly, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I can see how it can get annoying but being a small business owner I understand the need to promote as much as you can. I guess dropping it in every post is a bit of overkill but I just look it like they are super proud of their work and are working hard to make it a success; I can’t judge or blame anyone for that. :)

Jealousy at someone else’s success is just silly, one person’s success does not take anything away from me, it just means that there is a market for what I do.

I think starting the column is a really great idea and I for one look forward to reading it. I have read your blogs for years (yours was in fact the very first blog I started following) and I have always enjoyed hearing about success and found it completely inspiring in my own work (even though I am an illustrator and not an interior designer).

Keep going, and keep writing, books and this blog!

15. Sandra commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 4:30pm

I like your column idea too, Holly. Once a week has nothing to do with annoying people. And it´s a great way to show your work and the fruits of your labor (is that the right English expression?). I am sure that many of your readers will enjoy these posts.
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Bunte Altbauwohnung von Daniel und Anika

16. Melissa Oholendt commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 4:54pm

LOVE THIS. As a photographer I feel this too – walking a fine line between, “Oh GOSH. So flattered!” and “Here she goes – talking about yet another place her photos popped up…”.

All to say, your weekly post idea is really brilliant and I love you for thinking this way.

17. Erika commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 4:57pm

Wow, this is a great idea! :) I think it’s a fabulous way to compromise… plus, there are people who want to hear about all the good things happening! I think it’s good to round-it-up and share it all! :)
    Erika´s last blog post ..Life is a Marathon; Gratitude is Endurance

18. Melissa commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 5:11pm

I really love this post! I’ve got a book coming out in 2014 and have been struggling with how to present it on my blog.
    I look forward to reading your Good News posts!!

Melissa
    Melissa´s last blog post ..Pom Pom Zipper Pull Tutorial

19. annawithlove commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 7:10pm

Holly, you are such a class act! best of both worlds as I see it and I cannot wait to read all about your really good news!
    lots of love
    xoxo
    annawithlove´s last blog post ..Sneak Peek: NEW FINE ART COLLECTION

20. Kelly @ Studio DIY commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 8:33pm

I love the idea of a “Really Good News” column! I do something similar and have a little section in my happy weekend posts that shares any fun news or features from the week!
    Kelly @ Studio DIY´s last blog post ..A DIY Wedding Series with POPSUGAR Girl’s Guide!

21. Janet B commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 9:17pm

In a similar vein I find it difficult to promote my products on my blog without feeling guilty. I’m a pillow designer and might slip a pillow into a photo or share my photo shoots but it always goes back to that feeling of “showing off.” I want to show what I’m up to, but dread the feeling of people thinking I’m just self promoting. Ideas anyone??
    Janet B´s last blog post ..Food to Feed the Soul

22. Sandra commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 9:37pm

@decor8: It’s the design blog Young House Love.

23. Valentina commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 10:03pm

@decor8: Young House Love!

24. Marilyn commented
    April 17th, 2013 at 10:34pm

I know exactly how you feel. That’s why I try to limit my Etsy updates to just Mondays and that’s been working out for me. I really like and enjoy your enthusiasm when you have great news to share about your books or if you’re featured somewhere. :) Looking forward to your new feature!
    Marilyn´s last blog post ..Guest Post: Craft Room Organization Made Easy

25. decor8 commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:16am

Okay thanks everyone, now I know what YHL is!!!

26. merilyn commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:18am

hi holly, personally I think you have a good balance already.
    you are always showcasing other blogger’s work and I think you are a very
    generous sharing your ideas and finds with us, it opens up a new world to
    everyone who reads them.
    It’s only natural for you to express your hopes, joys and fears about a new book
    and to chat about it on your blog … isn’t that what blogging’s about?
    you’ve worked jolly hard to achieve and your blog is about being open, caring
    and honest about ‘stuff’.
    go girl! … good on you! cheers m:)

27. Sue Bulmer commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:28am

I think the bundle idea is great and a fab way to have a great big celebratory blog post BUT…, I don’t think you should think you are annoying anyone by shouting about your successes and wins, these are the things that inspire other people (me and a whole load of others I should imagine) and things you should be proud of. well done, book 3 and I haven’t got sick of hearing about any of it… so keep up the great work and keep inspiring a whole new generation of bloggers. Sue x

28. aimee commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 12:56am

This is a good idea for all bloggers…not just the ones with books! Love these kinds of posts

29. Ricarda commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 8:23am

Holly, you are so right, sweet and fab!
    Love your idea!

30. Pysselbolaget commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:33am

I don’t mind reading about your books or your success, Holly! You blog is lovely the way it is, but if making a “good news” column makes it easier for you, then I think you should do it.

31. Anna commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 3:48pm

I think this is great advice for us bloggers. We don’t want to sound like an infomercial but at the same time, we want to be heard. I think it doesn’t get any easier than what you suggest!

Simple posts are useful posts. Thanks for the great ideas, Holly!
    Anna´s last blog post ..Did you know? Three different uses for IKEA panels

32. Angie commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 7:20pm

I love this idea! And honestly, I can’t wait to read all about your “Really Good News”!!!
    Angie´s last blog post ..Garden Hard

33. decor8 commented
    April 18th, 2013 at 11:58pm

Thank you all SO much for your feedback on this!!!

34. mel commented
    April 19th, 2013 at 3:43am

Holly I think it’s a great idea. I agree with Tina that we don’t mind hearing about your book because really, we are all cheering you on and we’re so happy for you! Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..Finding a Bargain Part 2

35. Desha Peacock commented
    April 19th, 2013 at 4:43am

Hey Holly, I never tire of hearing your good news. It’s way more inspiring than annoying. It means if you can do it, perhaps I can too. So, please don’t ever stop sharing your good news.
    Desha Peacock´s last blog post ..Ready to live in your Sweet Spot??

36. Stefanie commented
    April 19th, 2013 at 11:55am

I really enjoyed reading this entry. It gave me also some new ideas, even though in my case it was exactly the other way round, I wrote the first book and then almost a year after its appearance, had my homepage, because it became kind of “urgent” to have a web-presence.

Thank you Holly for those insights!

37. Nadia van der Mescht commented
    April 19th, 2013 at 3:01pm

Hello Holly
    I love this idea! You should be really & truly proud of all you have done. x
    Nadia van der Mescht´s last blog post ..Life Snippets

38. Jo commented
    April 21st, 2013 at 2:54pm

Fantastic idea!! It’s very hard getting the balance right on this. Thanks for sharing! :-) x

39. Mina Brinkey commented
    April 23rd, 2013 at 3:24am

I like this! Funny you wrote about this because I always wonder why every time I announce something personal on the blog’s facebook page, I lose followers! Ha!! Now I know… maybe I annoyed someone. Hmnnn… Guess I never thought of that. I like the once a week idea. : ) Thanks for the tip!
    Mina Brinkey´s last blog post ..Weekend Catch Up! – 04.22.2013 – St. Augustine, FL

40. Momographica commented
    July 23rd, 2013 at 4:49pm

Holly: As a blogger, I do think that this tip is great. I often feel uncomfortable of talking about my own achievements in my blog and this is really a good way to speak frankly without annoying the readers! I’d like also congratulate you for your achievements, you are a terrific author (I bought your first book and it was splendid!), they are totally deserved! :)
    Momographica´s last blog post ..My i-Phone and Me