Objects

Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

April 27, 2013

I really like it when people are so clever and creative that they reuse stuff that might end up in the cellar, or worse, a dump otherwise – making new out of the castaways, creating something stylish and one-of-a-kind. That’s what I admire about OUD Now! located in the Netherlands. I wrote about this Dutch firm a few years ago, but I have to refresh your memory because I think the man behind it, Dutch designer Theo Herfkens, is so cool!

Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

Those Dutch know how to do some pretty cool things to old stuff, I think they are the masters of transformation. I always like seeing what will come from them next. OUD Now! takes unloved pieces that are ornate and maybe “grandma” style, and combines them with very clean, modern and spare pieces so that the result is a mix of styles that somehow works.

Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

I would love to own this one, or this one, or okay this one too (only with a different handle, like this one from Chocolate Creative)… My friend, Margarita Lorenzo, makes the best knobs – I have to place an order for a few myself. Love them.

What do you think of these cabinets?

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

• Reply Jane April 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Ooh! Sensational, Holly. Loving the clean lines and muted colours. And the whimsy of those knobs is something else.

• Reply BohèmeCircus April 27, 2013 at 2:54 pm

For me, reuse is a good concept for design and good for life. Revisiting his ideas, connect inspirations from different universes. This give me the idea of playing with old and new fabrics and papers , because unexpected pairings give always beautiful results.
    These cabinets are beautiful because they are also poetic, it is a bit like holding the hand of the past to make the link with the present!
    Thanks for the discovery of this Dutch designer.

• Reply Marjory April 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm

How sweet to re-purpose the ‘old’ and combine it with contemporary pieces. Grateful for designers like Theo Herfkens who keep Mother Earth in their minds and hearts. Bravo! Love the landscape scenes on the door knobs!

• Reply Rebecca April 28, 2013 at 2:41 am

I love the cabinet/drawer combos. How brilliant!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang April 28, 2013 at 4:49 am

Love, love, love the knobs!

• Reply Laurl April 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Those cabinets are inspiring! I will certainly be looking at sad cabinets differently. I’m a huge fan of Droog and I’ve often thought about how I can be inspired by the cabinet of drawers. This is another way to look at the bigger peices, instead of just taking the drawers.

• Reply Sandra April 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm

These cabinets are absolutely amazing! I fell in love with the blue cabinet:

And I would also love to have this one:

It is great to re-use old furniture. Do you know these two from Berlin?

Have a great Sunday!
    Sandra

• Reply Ren April 29, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I love love these cabinets, what a great idea!

• Reply Tracy April 29, 2013 at 4:27 pm

What a lovely idea! I especially love the door knobs!

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo April 29, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I am a fan of rescuing old furniture and give it a new fresh life, just done one little side bed table with my new fluro/neon colour knobs, by the way I recognise the ones you featured in here haha…thanks for the mention. They are selling so well and all over the world, that we can’t make enough of them. Right now starting to build an studio in Gran Canaria to continue with the handmade production.

• Reply decor8 April 29, 2013 at 9:45 pm

@Margarita – I better buy some soon before they’re all sold out!

• Reply Danette April 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I’m so curious about that top photo. Is that a daybed made of books?

• Reply Sian Zeng April 30, 2013 at 9:53 am

Love those knobs by chocolatecreative. When I move into a more permanent home, they will be the first thing I buy.