Mixing Old & Now with OUD Now!

I really like it when people are so clever and creative that they reuse stuff that might end up in the cellar, or worse, a dump otherwise – making new out of the castaways, creating something stylish and one-of-a-kind. That’s what I admire about OUD Now! located in the Netherlands. I wrote about this Dutch firm a few years ago, but I have to refresh your memory because I think the man behind it, Dutch designer Theo Herfkens, is so cool!

oudnow!

OUD Now!

OUD Now!

OUD Now!

OUD Now!

Those Dutch know how to do some pretty cool things to old stuff, I think they are the masters of transformation. I always like seeing what will come from them next. OUD Now! takes unloved pieces that are ornate and maybe “grandma” style, and combines them with very clean, modern and spare pieces so that the result is a mix of styles that somehow works.

Chocolate Creative

I would love to own this one, or this one, or okay this one too (only with a different handle, like this one from Chocolate Creative)… My friend, Margarita Lorenzo, makes the best knobs – I have to place an order for a few myself. Love them.

What do you think of these cabinets?

Posted by decor8 in furniture on April 27, 2013

1. Jane commented
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:30pm

Ooh! Sensational, Holly. Loving the clean lines and muted colours. And the whimsy of those knobs is something else.
    Jane´s last blog post ..Feeling tired and tongue-tied

2. BohèmeCircus commented
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:54pm

For me, reuse is a good concept for design and good for life. Revisiting his ideas, connect inspirations from different universes. This give me the idea of playing with old and new fabrics and papers , because unexpected pairings give always beautiful results.
    These cabinets are beautiful because they are also poetic, it is a bit like holding the hand of the past to make the link with the present!
    Thanks for the discovery of this Dutch designer.
    BohèmeCircus´s last blog post ..Spring colors

3. Marjory commented
    April 27th, 2013 at 4:55pm

How sweet to re-purpose the ‘old’ and combine it with contemporary pieces. Grateful for designers like Theo Herfkens who keep Mother Earth in their minds and hearts. Bravo! Love the landscape scenes on the door knobs!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Living Healing Gardens: Breathing life

4. Rebecca commented
    April 28th, 2013 at 2:41am

I love the cabinet/drawer combos. How brilliant!
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..DIY Herb Garden Markers – Homemade Mother’s Day Gift Idea

5. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    April 28th, 2013 at 4:49am

Love, love, love the knobs!

6. Laurl commented
    April 28th, 2013 at 3:36pm

Those cabinets are inspiring! I will certainly be looking at sad cabinets differently. I’m a huge fan of Droog and I’ve often thought about how I can be inspired by the cabinet of drawers. This is another way to look at the bigger peices, instead of just taking the drawers.
    Laurl´s last blog post ..Going public- the store

7. Sandra commented
    April 28th, 2013 at 4:24pm

These cabinets are absolutely amazing! I fell in love with the blue cabinet:

And I would also love to have this one:

It is great to re-use old furniture. Do you know these two from Berlin?

Have a great Sunday!
    Sandra
    Sandra´s last blog post ..„Ich war 15 Jahre und fleißiger Radio-Hörer”

8. Ren commented
    April 29th, 2013 at 12:15pm

I love love these cabinets, what a great idea!
    Ren´s last blog post ..8 Weeks Later….

9. Tracy commented
    April 29th, 2013 at 4:27pm

What a lovely idea! I especially love the door knobs!
    Tracy´s last blog post ..Top Tips To Help You Establish Yourself In Your Role As A Carer

10. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    April 29th, 2013 at 6:56pm

I am a fan of rescuing old furniture and give it a new fresh life, just done one little side bed table with my new fluro/neon colour knobs, by the way I recognise the ones you featured in here haha…thanks for the mention. They are selling so well and all over the world, that we can’t make enough of them. Right now starting to build an studio in Gran Canaria to continue with the handmade production.
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..NEW DESIGNS – WORK IN PROGRES

11. Danette commented
    April 29th, 2013 at 7:31pm

I’m so curious about that top photo. Is that a daybed made of books?
    Danette´s last blog post ..Reminiscing

12. decor8 commented
    April 29th, 2013 at 9:45pm

@Margarita – I better buy some soon before they’re all sold out!

13. Sian Zeng commented
    April 30th, 2013 at 9:53am

Love those knobs by chocolatecreative. When I move into a more permanent home, they will be the first thing I buy.