Payton Cosell Turner + Flat Vernacular

Are you still loving the whole wallpaper comeback? I remember when it first started regaining popularity again around ’04/05 and I was just getting started as a decorator and freelance journalist. Today, the trend is no longer a passing phase but in full bloom and seems to have real staying power. I was writing a piece for Oprah.com about wallpaper and trends, etc. and came across the work of Flat Vernacular in Elle Decor and had to show you this gorgeousness. Are you familiar with Flat Vernacular? I wasn’t either until this morning and now I really dig their work. Check out what founder, Payton, did to a bedroom with her STICKERS  below- yeah stickers, lovely, right?

today on decor8

today on decor8

today on decor8

You can see more of this NYC townhouse here. Yowser! So cool! Payton Cosell Turner lives in Brooklyn and is the granddaughter of the late sportscaster Howard Cosell (I remember him so well growing up with my father watching sports on tv). She is also the lady behind Payton Cosell Turner Design (mostly wall stickers) and co-founder of Flat Vernacular, a bespoke wallpaper company that she runs with artist Brian Kaspr.

I was really drawn to these patterns (wallpaper) from FV below… Fun and funky! I don’t know if I’d have these in my home, it really depends I guess, but my mother had metallic gold wallpaper just like the first one shown below in our living room when I was a little girl, I remember her picking it out with her interior designer who later became her best friend and a huge decorating inspiration to little me back when I was around 6 years old. I never forgot my first home or the design of it – my father designed it and had it built and my mother hired a designer to help her decorate it – it was split level so we had 4 levels of living space. I just remember loving it so much because my mother loved that home – she had so much passion for decorating, gardening and landscape design as well as all of the flower arrangements she made, oil paintings she did to adorn the walls and her bold color choices of avocado, red, black, gold and indigo blue. She had NO fear. That’s a good thing, I think, to have no fear when decorating your home. To just go with it. I think Kelly Wearstler does that in her designs and while they’re not for everyone, you can’t help but think she is the coolest lady on the planet for executing such (often) outrageous ideas with so much confidence. My mother was the same, she was confident and just went for it and to think she was only 31 years old when she was hiring an interior designer to help her pick metallic wallpapers makes me smile. I love that.

blogged today on decor8

blogged today on decor8

blogged today on decor8

blogged today on decor8

From that Elle Decor story about Payton, I also happened to find Juell, whom I featured in my earlier post today. I love the web, so many beautiful things to find made by some exceptionally talented people. These wallpapers above are so dramatic – total statement makers and very edgy – love it.

What do you think? Can you imagine using any of these patterns in your home? Would you stick a million stickers to your wall to create a pattern similar to the top images? All I can think about are my old collections of Mrs Grossman’s stickers from the late 80s!

(images: elle decor/flat vernacular)

Posted by decor8 in walls on May 02, 2013

1. Ruth commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 1:19pm

I have to say I was dubious about the wallpaper trend when it started, but I am so won on it now – and I think that I could fall for the sticker trend just as hard!!

2. Sunny commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 1:23pm

Beautiful wallpapers! If I were not in a rental, I would put up wallpaper in a quick second. Loving the edginess of these wallpaper patterns. They are not the wallpaper of my childhood home, that’s for sure.

What timing….I just posted about wallpaper yesterday! :)

3. Heather B commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 2:03pm

Those stickers are AMAZING! There’s a close up on another site that shows that they really are just like Mrs. Grossman stickers! There are cars and baseballs and deer. That is just incredible! That must have taken hour after pain-staking hour to complete. I love it! So cool!
    Heather B´s last blog post ..Great Shops – Window Panes, Bar Harbor

4. Payton commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 2:45pm

Thanks very much for the kind write up! One quick correction- I’m originally from NYC, not Texas!
    Thanks!

5. decor8 commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 3:28pm

@payton – Thank you for expressing your appreciation for the write-up, it’s really nice that you stopped by to do so. Also, the correction has been made.

6. Giulia commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 3:46pm

Hi Holly,
    Jenny did a write-up on Payton two summers ago. Her post includes some great close-ups of the stickers, which I think showcases her great talent even more.

Giulia´s last blog post ..Be my Guest with House of Brinson – Shrimp and Grits

7. decor8 commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 3:56pm

@Giula – Thank you for googling and sharing that!

8. lisa :: the red thread commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 4:23pm

Oh wow! So great! I love the gold meadow print and would have it as a framed print in my apartment in a heartbeat. (in fact I just emailed them about it!)

My mum was also a fearless decorator – I grew up in a split level home too, which was full of bright and bold Marimekko fabrics and Scandi design in every room. I was even dressed in Marimekko as a child. Very rad for Australia in the late 70s. I’m so grateful for being brought up surrounded by such a wonderful design sensibility.
    lisa :: the red thread´s last blog post ..COLOUR CRUSH :: Indigo | Bonnie and Neil

9. sunny commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 8:14pm

here’s the wallpaper post I mentioned :)

sunny´s last blog post ..so many wallpapers, so little time!

10. Anne Marie Jackson/Pattern Occurring commented
    May 6th, 2013 at 6:29pm

These wallpapers are striking. Love the idea of stickers! Wallpaper paste can be a fiddle!

11. Lauren commented
    May 13th, 2013 at 5:27am

Have you seen the designs by jennifer Angus? Here is a quick google image search for images of her amazing work. Wall paper designs with BUGS.