Home Tours

May 7, 2013

Yeah, my eyes just about fell out as I gazed upon this renovated victorian home in Melbourne, Australia today. I mean, how gorgeous is this place? You can see more of it here on this fab site I found called Trendland though it seems they found it on The Design Files where you can read all about this home, see a ton more photos, and learn about the homeowners and things in it. I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all when it comes to homes but then I come across something like this and think, wow, this is so posh. Yes, please.

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

I love this cheerful painting and I love seeing it in-situ (below) even more. I think this is so important when it comes to interiors photography, to not just show tight shots but to zoom out and show a bit more action so you can get a sense of space. What do you think?

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

Bright colors are so peppy, they look so inviting and energetic in this living room – and that rug is divine. I adore light, airy and colorful rooms like this and they seem to work so well in Australia as it seems to be a country bathed in light.

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

It’s nice to see the living room from this angle, looking out towards the yard.

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

And equally nice to see the home from the outside looking in. I wish more interiors books did this but I think it’s a privacy issue as well as a lawn maintenance issue – lots of people have beautiful homes but not so attractive yards. In this case, the photographer got lucky – gorgeous outside and in!

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

When you need to “up” the cuteness factor, just add a cute dog or cat.

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

I like all of the contrasts here in materials – wood, iron, marble… I also like how they’ve merged wood on the ceiling with a monochromatic kitchen, it really warms up the space making it feel a bit retro modern too. That oven gets crazy bonus points. Love.

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

Oh god that pillow. Stop it, please. TOO CUTE.

Gorgeous blanket!

Renovated Victorian Dream Home Tour

I really like this pendant light, and I mean REALLY like it. And the brass curtain rod is super pretty and perfect for the space for that touch of elegance. You need a little bling in a space, don’t you?

Did you spot any details that you fell in love with? Which ones?

(images: Brooke Holm)

You Might Also Like

36 Comments

• Reply Jane @ A Pillow For Your Throughts May 7, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Ha! That donut pillow is hilarious. Probably not the first or last thing I need to be thinking of before going to bed, but adorable nonetheless.

• Reply decor8 May 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm

@Jane – ha ha Yeah, right??!?!? Donuts… Thankfully, we don’t have a donut shop in my city — all we have are the ones from the bakery that are plain with chocolate on top and aren’t nearly as good as Dunkin’ Donuts or Krispy Kreme but then again, I never ate those when I lived in the US, I was more of a homemade donut girl from those special little cafes and shops in the cities… Or the wonderful New England-style donuts that are made in the Fall – but yeah, let’s not talk about donuts. :)

• Reply Lisa May 7, 2013 at 11:51 pm

executed perfectly!

• Reply Bella Edgley May 8, 2013 at 12:17 am

Beautiful house and beautiful photographs. I am going to have to share some on my Pinterest if that is ok!. Thanks. Bella

• Reply allie kelley May 8, 2013 at 2:22 am

I ADORE that painting! wow. Nice home, too.

• Reply Michelle May 8, 2013 at 3:15 am

I love houses that arent afraid of using colour, another gorgeous Aussie home to admire …. I hope mine looks like that one day!

• Reply Kristine May 8, 2013 at 3:30 am

Details: I really like the brass curtain rod and whatever is on the wall in the last picture, I love it.

As a whole, I love that it is visually pleasing and yet comfortable. It shows an appreciation for good design but isn’t too “designed”. It’s well curated without an overload of quirky objects but it’s not insistent on a rigid color scheme and allows for a silly donut pillow. I can see real people living here, not plastic dolls with hard hair helmets.

• Reply mel May 8, 2013 at 5:53 am

I guess you kind liked this house ;)
    I love the bright fresh pops of colour, I’m not an all white kinda lady and the colour gives you excuse to have fun.
    Plus you can’t beat a cute dog shot to make the place look like home.
    Great find.

• Reply dervla @ the curator May 8, 2013 at 6:15 am

oooh what i’d give for that kind of light … also that blue rug is amazing.

• Reply Polly Rowan May 8, 2013 at 10:18 am

Love the blue and white rug and those gorgeous bedthrows! xo

• Reply Annette May 8, 2013 at 12:22 pm

fantastic find….beautiful home, thanks for posting it. xx

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha May 8, 2013 at 12:27 pm

You’re so right – what a dreamy home! Love the vibrant colours in the lounge area against the white walls, and that warm timber ceiling.

I also like rugs around the home which add some colour and cosiness too.

• Reply Bex May 8, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Love the sofa and chairs. Beautiful shot of colour without being shouty. Very liveable and works wonderfully with the light in the room.
    Too much loveliness all in one place = very jealous!

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} May 8, 2013 at 3:03 pm

i absolutely adore how much light the home gets.
    how dreamy!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

• Reply Jacquelynn May 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Love the simplicity! That blue and white rug is stunning!

• Reply Bobbi May 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I really like the mix of the modern elements with the more ethnic textile pieces. It’s gorgeous!

• Reply Susan May 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Gorgeous home. So light and airy…and I love the hits of vibrant color. Great post!

• Reply Tine May 8, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Oh my, so so pretty… All the details are amazing!!

/Tine

• Reply Jane - jacaranda Designs May 8, 2013 at 9:08 pm

That painting is gorgeous. It caught my eye right away. Also love the quilts on all the beds. My mother is a quilter so I know how much time must have been spent making those…they’re lovely.

• Reply Nicole Duff - Mood Design Studio May 8, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I am loving all of the round tables! coffee table/ side tables! They are lovely!
    And the dog of course, he’s pretty cute too!

• Reply nicolette tabram May 8, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I love the block printed Indian bed spread. It looks so beautiful as a feature in an otherwise really simple room.

Oh to have a bedroom with so little clutter!!

• Reply Stacey May 9, 2013 at 1:15 am

This home exudes calm and tranquility. All the natural light is just wonderful! Love it all! X

• Reply LBN May 9, 2013 at 1:21 am

can i please just move in. those bed spreads…i die. i’d pack up and move now, no questions asked. i’m dying to live in a white space. now please.

• Reply Kate May 9, 2013 at 8:13 am

BEAUTIFUL! I love all the colors. The light and those floors… Oh my goodness!

• Reply מעצבת פנים May 9, 2013 at 8:22 am

The photos are so clean and beautiful, I feel like someone polished my eyes. Thanks for posting them, what a way to start the day.

• Reply suzy May 9, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Yes…we never know how lucky we are until someone else points it out! We are bathed in an amazing light…we must appreciate it more :)

• Reply Jessica May 10, 2013 at 1:22 am

I love the bright colors in this beautiful house. Living in a home that has color always brings a smile to my face :)

• Reply The Polyurethanes Team May 10, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Love the cabinets in the back with the white doors! AND, love the varnish job on the floor :)

• Reply Justino May 10, 2013 at 9:29 pm

The table on the wall in the last picture is quite weird and not in a good way

• Reply decoshkrub May 11, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Very nice home))) Guys, is anybody knows the brend of this beautiful white flower chandalier in bedroom? I really need it for one project. Thanx!

• Reply amy marshall May 12, 2013 at 11:38 pm

This is Dreamy Town for sure!! Did anyone else catch that cake stand sticking out of the wall in the last picture? I wish I could see it front the front. Such a happy place!

• Reply Julie May 15, 2013 at 12:45 am

I absolutely adore that painting in the first photos! If anyone knows the artist or other details about it, please post!

• Reply Jennifer May 16, 2013 at 3:39 pm

The Design Files is an amazing Australian blog that showcases artists, creatives, food, design, interiors, art and gorgeous homes. I always find something inspiring and joyful when I read it.

• Reply Julie Sikkel June 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Love the cheerful colorful artwork! Is this an original? Any way to get a print of that? Beautiful :)

• Reply Bob Blume June 6, 2013 at 4:52 pm

It is hard for me to believe that was once a victorian home. It is completely clean & modern.

• Reply Alex August 15, 2013 at 3:06 pm

That blue carpet is brilliant!