Renovated Victorian Dream Home

Yeah, my eyes just about fell out as I gazed upon this renovated victorian home in Melbourne, Australia today. I mean, how gorgeous is this place? You can see more of it here on this fab site I found called Trendland though it seems they found it on The Design Files where you can read all about this home, see a ton more photos, and learn about the homeowners and things in it. I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all when it comes to homes but then I come across something like this and think, wow, this is so posh. Yes, please.

Dreamy home in Australia

I love this cheerful painting and I love seeing it in-situ (below) even more. I think this is so important when it comes to interiors photography, to not just show tight shots but to zoom out and show a bit more action so you can get a sense of space. What do you think?

Dreamy home in Australia

Bright colors are so peppy, they look so inviting and energetic in this living room – and that rug is divine. I adore light, airy and colorful rooms like this and they seem to work so well in Australia as it seems to be a country bathed in light.

Dreamy home in Australia

It’s nice to see the living room from this angle, looking out towards the yard.

Dreamy home in Australia

And equally nice to see the home from the outside looking in. I wish more interiors books did this but I think it’s a privacy issue as well as a lawn maintenance issue – lots of people have beautiful homes but not so attractive yards. In this case, the photographer got lucky – gorgeous outside and in!

Dreamy home in Australia

When you need to “up” the cuteness factor, just add a cute dog or cat.

Dreamy home in Australia

I like all of the contrasts here in materials – wood, iron, marble… I also like how they’ve merged wood on the ceiling with a monochromatic kitchen, it really warms up the space making it feel a bit retro modern too. That oven gets crazy bonus points. Love.

Dreamy home in Australia

Dreamy home in Australia

Oh god that pillow. Stop it, please. TOO CUTE.

Dreamy home in Australia

Gorgeous blanket!

Dreamy home in Australia

Dreamy home in Australia

I really like this pendant light, and I mean REALLY like it. And the brass curtain rod is super pretty and perfect for the space for that touch of elegance. You need a little bling in a space, don’t you?

Did you spot any details that you fell in love with? Which ones?

(images: Brooke Holm)

Posted by decor8 in design on May 07, 2013

1. Jane @ A Pillow For Your Throughts commented
    May 7th, 2013 at 11:13pm

Ha! That donut pillow is hilarious. Probably not the first or last thing I need to be thinking of before going to bed, but adorable nonetheless.

2. Lisa commented
    May 7th, 2013 at 11:51pm

executed perfectly!

3. Bella Edgley commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 12:17am

Beautiful house and beautiful photographs. I am going to have to share some on my Pinterest if that is ok!. Thanks. Bella

4. allie kelley commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 2:22am

5. Michelle commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 3:15am

I love houses that arent afraid of using colour, another gorgeous Aussie home to admire …. I hope mine looks like that one day!
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Kitchen Splash back – Tiles Vs Glass

6. Kristine commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 3:30am

Details: I really like the brass curtain rod and whatever is on the wall in the last picture, I love it.

As a whole, I love that it is visually pleasing and yet comfortable. It shows an appreciation for good design but isn’t too “designed”. It’s well curated without an overload of quirky objects but it’s not insistent on a rigid color scheme and allows for a silly donut pillow. I can see real people living here, not plastic dolls with hard hair helmets.

7. mel commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 5:53am

I guess you kind liked this house ;)
    I love the bright fresh pops of colour, I’m not an all white kinda lady and the colour gives you excuse to have fun.
    Plus you can’t beat a cute dog shot to make the place look like home.
    Great find.
    mel´s last blog post ..woolovelywool

8. dervla @ the curator commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 6:15am

oooh what i’d give for that kind of light … also that blue rug is amazing.

9. Polly Rowan commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 10:18am

Love the blue and white rug and those gorgeous bedthrows! xo
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..Goodbye Studio

10. Annette commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 12:22pm

fantastic find….beautiful home, thanks for posting it. xx

11. Sarah @ Mocha commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 12:27pm

You’re so right – what a dreamy home! Love the vibrant colours in the lounge area against the white walls, and that warm timber ceiling.

I also like rugs around the home which add some colour and cosiness too.
    Sarah @ Mocha´s last blog post ..Villa F: A Greek Island Holiday Home With A Difference

12. Bex commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 1:27pm

Love the sofa and chairs. Beautiful shot of colour without being shouty. Very liveable and works wonderfully with the light in the room.
    Too much loveliness all in one place = very jealous!

13. decor8 commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 1:33pm

@Jane – ha ha Yeah, right??!?!? Donuts… Thankfully, we don’t have a donut shop in my city — all we have are the ones from the bakery that are plain with chocolate on top and aren’t nearly as good as Dunkin’ Donuts or Krispy Kreme but then again, I never ate those when I lived in the US, I was more of a homemade donut girl from those special little cafes and shops in the cities… Or the wonderful New England-style donuts that are made in the Fall – but yeah, let’s not talk about donuts. :)

14. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 3:03pm

i absolutely adore how much light the home gets.
    how dreamy!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Heirloom Tomato Panzanella Salad

15. Jacquelynn commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 3:59pm

Love the simplicity! That blue and white rug is stunning!

16. Bobbi commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 4:50pm

I really like the mix of the modern elements with the more ethnic textile pieces. It’s gorgeous!
    Bobbi´s last blog post ..Our Next Big Adventure

17. Susan commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 5:32pm

Gorgeous home. So light and airy…and I love the hits of vibrant color. Great post!

Susan´s last blog post ..Living Room Mood Board

18. Tine commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 8:52pm

Oh my, so so pretty… All the details are amazing!!

/Tine

19. Jane - jacaranda Designs commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 9:08pm

That painting is gorgeous. It caught my eye right away. Also love the quilts on all the beds. My mother is a quilter so I know how much time must have been spent making those…they’re lovely.
    Jane – jacaranda Designs´s last blog post ..Coral Red Crystal Earrings, Sterling Silver, Wedding, Bridesmaids, Handmade Earrings, Mother's Day Earrings by JacarandaDesigns

20. Nicole Duff - Mood Design Studio commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 10:23pm

I am loving all of the round tables! coffee table/ side tables! They are lovely!
    And the dog of course, he’s pretty cute too!

21. nicolette tabram commented
    May 8th, 2013 at 10:25pm

I love the block printed Indian bed spread. It looks so beautiful as a feature in an otherwise really simple room.

Oh to have a bedroom with so little clutter!!
    nicolette tabram´s last blog post ..A Lot Of Sanding

22. Stacey commented
    May 9th, 2013 at 1:15am

This home exudes calm and tranquility. All the natural light is just wonderful! Love it all! X

23. LBN commented
    May 9th, 2013 at 1:21am

can i please just move in. those bed spreads…i die. i’d pack up and move now, no questions asked. i’m dying to live in a white space. now please.
    LBN´s last blog post ..Currently…

24. Kate commented
    May 9th, 2013 at 8:13am

BEAUTIFUL! I love all the colors. The light and those floors… Oh my goodness!
    Kate´s last blog post ..For Sir Edmund Hillary

25. מעצבת פנים commented
    May 9th, 2013 at 8:22am

The photos are so clean and beautiful, I feel like someone polished my eyes. Thanks for posting them, what a way to start the day.

26. suzy commented
    May 9th, 2013 at 1:12pm

Yes…we never know how lucky we are until someone else points it out! We are bathed in an amazing light…we must appreciate it more :)

27. Jessica commented
    May 10th, 2013 at 1:22am

I love the bright colors in this beautiful house. Living in a home that has color always brings a smile to my face :)

28. The Polyurethanes Team commented
    May 10th, 2013 at 6:53pm

Love the cabinets in the back with the white doors! AND, love the varnish job on the floor :)

29. Justino commented
    May 10th, 2013 at 9:29pm

The table on the wall in the last picture is quite weird and not in a good way

30. decoshkrub commented
    May 11th, 2013 at 3:23pm

Very nice home))) Guys, is anybody knows the brend of this beautiful white flower chandalier in bedroom? I really need it for one project. Thanx!

31. amy marshall commented
    May 12th, 2013 at 11:38pm

This is Dreamy Town for sure!! Did anyone else catch that cake stand sticking out of the wall in the last picture? I wish I could see it front the front. Such a happy place!

32. Julie commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:45am

I absolutely adore that painting in the first photos! If anyone knows the artist or other details about it, please post!

33. Jennifer commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:39pm

The Design Files is an amazing Australian blog that showcases artists, creatives, food, design, interiors, art and gorgeous homes. I always find something inspiring and joyful when I read it.

34. Julie Sikkel commented
    June 2nd, 2013 at 6:07pm

Love the cheerful colorful artwork! Is this an original? Any way to get a print of that? Beautiful :)

35. Bob Blume commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 4:52pm

It is hard for me to believe that was once a victorian home. It is completely clean & modern.

36. Alex commented
    August 15th, 2013 at 3:06pm

That blue carpet is brilliant!
    Alex´s last blog post ..The Well-Fed Artist