Arts + Crafts

Milk Farm Road: Dip Alert!

May 13, 2013

I like the whole “dip” trend happening out there. Dipped baskets, jars, linens, clothing, curtains, spoons, plates… If you can dip it you can do it! Here are some pretties from Milk Farm Road that may inspire you today. Milk Farm Road is owned by the talented Heather Chontos who wears three hats as stylist, artist and consultant who lives in Montana. Well, she has more hats – she teaches, is a great photographer, a blogger… The list goes on and on. But let’s focus on some of her work below because I find it really relaxed and pretty.

Milk Farm Road: Dip Alert!

Milk Farm Road: Dip Alert!

Milk Farm Road: Dip Alert!

Milk Farm Road: Dip Alert!

Use the rest of the paint to make pretty napkins…

Milk Farm Road: Dip Alert!

Milk Farm Road: Dip Alert!

Neon paint, eek! Love!

Have you ever tried this dip look? Maybe you have a basket or a jar or a spoon that you could apply a similar look to?

What do you think about the whole dip trend? I love it and hope it lasts for awhile… Even though I’ve seen it for a few years now, it still feels really fresh to me.

I found this originally on Pinterest via The Lifestyle Editor who has a fab interview with Heather on her blog. Thanks LE for this tip!

(images: heather chontos)

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

• Reply Alice May 13, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I love this trend, I’ve seen in done in jewellery a lot too. I think it works best on thin things though, for little touches of colours like on those wooden spoons or on the legs of a chair.

• Reply Ginny May 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Loving your posts today. Love the dipped effect. Hope it stays. Now feel inspired to do some dipping myself. I have a new found love for painting things so this might be a fun alternative to block painting.

• Reply Kim Marsden May 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Love! Except – those dipped white oval plates, that’s sacrilege! No!

• Reply Gemma May 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I love this idea, i’m a big fan of the dipped trend and i’m feeling really inspired right now! Gonna have to go buy some neon paint and start dipping all my wooden spoons! :-D

• Reply Jenna May 13, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Although I am partial to the white dipped things, I am loving that neon green! And those wooden spoons are lovely as well. Hope this trend stays around for a little while!

• Reply Blinds.com May 13, 2013 at 11:39 pm

We’ve seen this trend in wooden spoons, furniture and bags, but not glass until now. Dipping vintage apothecary bottles would be such an easy DIY. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lauren Fariss May 14, 2013 at 2:10 am

Can someone tell me what kind of paint is used on the glass jars?

• Reply Tiffany May 14, 2013 at 4:50 am

nice, plus they are a little sloppy which makes it even cooler!

• Reply Hilary Hahn May 14, 2013 at 7:13 am

I really love those dipped plates. Fantastic!

• Reply Patchwork Harmony May 14, 2013 at 7:37 am

I’ve done exactly this for my wedding in a few weeks! Dipped loads of jam jars in 3 pastel coloured paints. Quite the laborious task though! Once dipped its a challenge to get all the excess paint off… But hopefully they’ll look great on the day! ;)

• Reply nicolette tabram May 14, 2013 at 9:19 am

I love the spoons, so simple and yet so effective. I am going to start a pinterest page on dipping.

• Reply Kate May 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Well it’ll last until you wash any of them! Sorry, it looks lovely but it’s not terribly practical as a DIY idea, is it?

• Reply Sue Schlabach May 14, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Pure energy! Love the spoons particularly. I think the color will get more beautiful with washed age too.

• Reply Katie May 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I’m loving this trend as well! I’m thinking I’m going to do this to some herb pots for my deck. Will look lovely in a mint green! :)

Though – I wonder about dip-dying spoons … does this make them non-food safe? Is there a particular paint you’re supposed to use for food items?

• Reply Gwen May 15, 2013 at 2:18 am

I agree. I think the “dip” style is fresh and organic and fun!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang May 15, 2013 at 7:36 am

Totally love it!

• Reply Erica D. May 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Love, love, love this. Such an easy way to add a pop of color and a personal touch to everyday objects. I need to try this asap.

• Reply Virginie, Simplementbeau May 16, 2013 at 10:01 am

Very nice ! I love this idea ! I’m going to try.. Virginie, ° A French girl

• Reply Mary Lawson May 21, 2013 at 4:35 am

I have also seen where people used plasti-dip, which is a plastic that you can dip things into and coat them. They sell it in home improvement stores.

Those bright green neon jars are so neat. I love them. I could see white ceramics being diped in neon. That could turn out pretty neat. or you could dip in more then one color. This would be a fun project.

• Reply Marinda May 23, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Oh, I really love this! I’m moving out (hopefully) when I graduate (I hope I do) and so this blog of yours is a great inspiration to me and my future roommates (:!

• Reply Iva Y June 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

These are stunning!! Ah, so many ideas!

• Reply Marisa July 17, 2013 at 9:09 pm

This is so cool!
    Which paint to you use for the napkins?

Thanks for your answer :)
    Marisa

• Reply Sheila September 5, 2013 at 2:23 am

So, I’m confused. Today’s post says she is in Montana (and I was going to as where, because that’s where I’m from)… Then I looked on her blog & everything says Portland, Maine. What’s up?

• Reply decor8 September 5, 2013 at 9:16 am

@Sheila – You are reading and replying a post I’d written back in May, that’s what’s up! ha ha