Recipes

German Gluten-Free Vegan Bread Recipe

May 14, 2013

Hello everyone, this is Jewels, one half of Liz and Jewels, but you may also know me as Julia Cawley or simply one of the ladies who writes the new Food In Motion column here on decor8. This month, for our second column, I’ll show you how to make gluten- free vegan bread from my Brooklyn kitchen in a very “German” style. I have never been too successful with baking bread in the past, have you? Last time I tried, I confused yeast with baking powder and wondered why the bread didn’t rise. But even when I do follow the recipe step by step, it doesn’t taste as good as what I can buy at a German bakery – because I’m from Germany and if you’ve ever been there and “experienced” our bread – well, you’d understand what I mean! Here in New York, good bread is a little harder to come by but I found a couple of places that sell some. Most of it is white though, like a German Hausbrot. What seems impossible to find is a grainy, hearty, dark, and healthy bread. I am not vegan, nor do I need to eat gluten-free, but I am a big fan of eating healthily and as Holly spoke about last week in her Healthy Living post, it’s important to make healthy choices as often as possible because good food really affects how we feel.

German Gluten Free Vegan Bread Recipe

The bread shown below in this little video that I made for you, which I originally found on the blog My New Roots and modified to fit my taste buds, is high in protein, super high in fiber and is full of delicious nuts, oats, and seeds. I believe that this bread is the healthiest kind of bread you can put in your belly. Over here in New York, people think that eating bread is a very unhealthy thing to do, and this is probably true for the soft, light, and fluffy breads you can buy at a super market. The difference about this bread is that it contains Psyllium Seed Husks. They also hold the bread together since the recipe doesn’t contain any flour or eggs. Psyllium Seed Husks are a great source of fiber; they reduce your cholesterol levels, aid digestion, and help with weight loss.

The other cool thing about this bread is that there is no kneading, waiting, more kneading, or anything like that involved. You just put all ingredients in the baking pan, then wait if you want to, for however long you want to, or not at all, then bake it and it’s done!

German Style Gluten-Free Vegan Bread Recipe:

2/3 cups of almonds (or any other kind of nut)
1/2 cup of flax seeds
1 cup of sunflower seeds
4 tablespoons of psyllium seed husks (this bread can’t do without, so you can’t substitute it with anything else!)
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1,5 cups of rolled oats
1,5 teaspoons of salt
3 tablespoons of maple sirup (or honey)
3 tablespoons of ghee (or coconut oil)
1,5 cups of water

In a baking pan combine all dry ingredients and stir well. Mix the sirup with the ghee and add it to the pan. Lastly, add the water and mix everything with your hands until all dry ingredients are soaked. Smooth out the top and let it sit until it becomes very hard (two hours, a day or overnight). Bake the bread for 20mins at 350° F (175° C). Remove the loaf from the pan, turn it upside down and bake it for another 30mins. Let it cool down completely before slicing it! I added butter and jam – yum!

I hope you find this bread to be as delicious as I do! Enjoy! And next month we’ll be back with a summer-y recipe and video for you to enjoy. Until then… – Julia.

(video + photo: julia cawley)

You Might Also Like

29 Comments

• Reply Isabelle May 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm

This looks just sooooo delicious! Thanks for showing!

Xoxo,

Isabelle

• Reply Jenna May 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm

This looks scrumptious! Definitely going to have to try this recipe out! Thanks for sharing this recipe…gluten free doesn’t have to be boring. :)

• Reply Tina Ramchandani May 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Thanks for this recipe Julia! It looks fairly easy to make and must healthier than “regular” bread. If it fails I’m coming to Brooklyn to get some!

• Reply Kate May 14, 2013 at 7:13 pm

It looks amazing but I’m not sure I’ll be able to find the psyllium over here in the countryside in Kent, UK. It’s funny that you should refer to most of the bread over there as soft and white. If I think of bread and NYC I always imagine “pastrami on rye”! Is that just a misconception?

• Reply my sweet cloud May 14, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Wow!!

This looks so amazing!

• Reply Sarah May 14, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Yummy! I am gluten free and I cannot wait to gather the missing ingredients from my pantry to try this recipe. Thanks!

• Reply Holly {Avenue} May 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Oooh that looks delicious and so healthy! Gotta try! Thank you :)

• Reply Kate May 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Yay! Vegan and gluten-free bread! This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

• Reply kupranugarsi May 14, 2013 at 9:57 pm

wow! this looks sooo good! i’d probably eat the whole loaf at once! Love bread and definitely love nuts and seeds! :)

• Reply Cindy Silverstein May 14, 2013 at 10:09 pm

This bread looks amazing and best of all, I am able to have all these ingredients, which is unusual in bread recipes that I see. Thank you so much!

• Reply Joelle Rebmann May 15, 2013 at 12:43 am

How much water is used? 1,5 does that mean 1 1/2 cups?

• Reply Linda DaPra May 15, 2013 at 1:30 am

This looks delicious. More like granola bars than bread, but I’m going to make it this week…. YUM

• Reply Good Manya May 15, 2013 at 1:32 am

Thanks Julia!

This looks amazing! I really wanna try it.

Just one question, my boyfriend is allergic to oats and buckwheat would you be able to guide me with what I could substitute oats with?

Thank you!

• Reply Cintia Soto May 15, 2013 at 2:46 am

Definitely I will try looks delicious !!!

• Reply Lucy May 15, 2013 at 4:58 am

Yummy ! Thank you for sharing the pic.

• Reply mel May 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Really enjoying your “food in motion” Jewels! I love baking but bread has always seemed this no go place but you made it look super easy. Mel x

• Reply Sarah - Art of Decor Blog May 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm

This is awesome…simply. Bread and that without gluten and flour. This is wonderful, can’t wait to try it right away. Thanks for sharing this.

• Reply Shannon May 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Hi Jewels!

I just wanted to know where the psyllium seed husks and chai seeds can be found.

Thanks!
    Shannon

• Reply cice May 16, 2013 at 2:29 am

hi, i have been making this recipe for about 2 months now, once a week. i found it at the my new roots website. it is an awesome recipe and i love it but i am not sure if its totally gluten free on account of the rolled oats. my neighbor is gluten intolerant and cannot have rolled oats so take heed if you are concerned about that. otherwise its a fantastic recipe and super easy, just make sure you follow the baking instructions and take it out of the pan after 20 minutes of baking and finish on the shelf of your oven. bon appetite!!!

• Reply Daniela May 23, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Great bread!!! Although oat is not a gluten free ingredient!!! If you are not celiac and just want to have a gluten free diet you might consider leave the rolled oats, otherwise this recipe is not apt for really gluten free intolerant.
    Anyway I am going to try skipping the oat,obviously ;)
    Nice video too!

• Reply Tia May 24, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Hi Jewel,

I like the video you’ve made. But. I just have to say that I really feel you could’ve given Sarah B, the original inventor of this recipe, a little more credit since your version is only very slightly altered. I also suggest all your readers who like the bread head to mynewroots to read more about its healthy factors and maybe find answers to a question or two :) I’m not saying this to be mean at all, it’s swell that good recipes are spread, but to me it seems odd to borrow so much from somebody else’s work.

• Reply Michele May 27, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Looks delish; can’t wait to make it! Be sure, though, not to serve it to your vegan friends- ghee us not vegan.
    PS first time commenting. I love your site, bought your book, and finally learned how to make my apartment look great – thank you for your inspiration!!!

• Reply Sarah Fenton May 30, 2013 at 6:41 am

Hello there, I made this bread a couple of weeks ago and it was much tastier than I thought it would be. My guests really enjoyed it, so much so they took a copy of the recipe with them. Thank you!!

• Reply oh Holland May 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

Looks good but it’s not vegan when you use ghee instead of coconut oil. Also spreading butter on it …

• Reply Jewels June 6, 2013 at 2:17 pm

@oh Holland: Very true! Thanks for noticing. I am not vegan so I am not a specialist in that area… And I LOVE butter.

• Reply Verity du Sautoy June 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm

That can’t be vegan and gluten-free…it looks so yummy!! Note to self: make some.

Verity

• Reply Dominique July 10, 2013 at 6:07 am

I have to try this recipe!

• Reply lisaw August 6, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Ok, I read the comments and since I was already aware of the MyNewRoots version from pinning it months ago I decided to give you the benefit of doubt and compare them first. The only change you made was to add 1/3 cup more almonds and use 1/2 tsp more salt and 2 tbsp less maple syrup. No ingredient additions or subtractions just measurement amounts. These are the kind of changes one would make in their home to any recipe, however, a Julia Child recipe would STILL be a Julia Child recipe. This is STILL Sarah B’s recipe. Any pinterest links and the reverse traffic you receive from posting someone else’s already posted/published recipe is wrong and unethical.

• Reply decor8 August 7, 2013 at 8:58 am

@Lisaw – Posting something you made using a recipe that you credit is completely fine. This isn’t a cooking or recipe blog authored by chefs, it’s a design blog. My guest editor isn’t a chef or cook, she’s a photographer and claims to be nothing more than that. There is nothing wrong with making a recipe you found, crediting the source, adapting it to make it your own, and then making a beautiful, creative video to show how you did it to inspire and encourage others to try it too. There is nothing on Sarah’s website that says her readers are not allowed to make and share her recipes on their blogs.