Food In Motion: German Style Gluten-Free Vegan Bread

Hello everyone, this is Jewels, one half of Liz and Jewels, but you may also know me as Julia Cawley or simply one of the ladies who writes the new Food In Motion column here on decor8. This month, for our second column, I’ll show you how to make gluten- free vegan bread from my Brooklyn kitchen in a very “German” style. I have never been too successful with baking bread in the past, have you? Last time I tried, I confused yeast with baking powder and wondered why the bread didn’t rise. But even when I do follow the recipe step by step, it doesn’t taste as good as what I can buy at a German bakery – because I’m from Germany and if you’ve ever been there and “experienced” our bread – well, you’d understand what I mean! Here in New York, good bread is a little harder to come by but I found a couple of places that sell some. Most of it is white though, like a German Hausbrot. What seems impossible to find is a grainy, hearty, dark, and healthy bread. I am not vegan, nor do I need to eat gluten-free, but I am a big fan of eating healthily and as Holly spoke about last week in her Healthy Living post, it’s important to make healthy choices as often as possible because good food really affects how we feel.

Food In Motion: Bread Recipe today on decor8

The bread shown below in this little video that I made for you, which I originally found on the blog My New Roots and modified to fit my taste buds, is high in protein, super high in fiber and is full of delicious nuts, oats, and seeds. I believe that this bread is the healthiest kind of bread you can put in your belly. Over here in New York, people think that eating bread is a very unhealthy thing to do, and this is probably true for the soft, light, and fluffy breads you can buy at a super market. The difference about this bread is that it contains Psyllium Seed Husks. They also hold the bread together since the recipe doesn’t contain any flour or eggs. Psyllium Seed Husks are a great source of fiber; they reduce your cholesterol levels, aid digestion, and help with weight loss.

The other cool thing about this bread is that there is no kneading, waiting, more kneading, or anything like that involved. You just put all ingredients in the baking pan, then wait if you want to, for however long you want to, or not at all, then bake it and it’s done!

German Style Gluten-Free Vegan Bread Recipe:

2/3 cups of almonds (or any other kind of nut)
1/2 cup of flax seeds
1 cup of sunflower seeds
4 tablespoons of psyllium seed husks (this bread can’t do without, so you can’t substitute it with anything else!)
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1,5 cups of rolled oats
1,5 teaspoons of salt
3 tablespoons of maple sirup (or honey)
3 tablespoons of ghee (or coconut oil)
1,5 cups of water

In a baking pan combine all dry ingredients and stir well. Mix the sirup with the ghee and add it to the pan. Lastly, add the water and mix everything with your hands until all dry ingredients are soaked. Smooth out the top and let it sit until it becomes very hard (two hours, a day or overnight). Bake the bread for 20mins at 350° F (175° C). Remove the loaf from the pan, turn it upside down and bake it for another 30mins. Let it cool down completely before slicing it! I added butter and jam – yum!

I hope you find this bread to be as delicious as I do! Enjoy! And next month we’ll be back with a summer-y recipe and video for you to enjoy. Until then… – Julia.

(video + photo: julia cawley)

Posted by decor8 in Food In Motion on May 14, 2013

1. Isabelle commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 3:56pm

This looks just sooooo delicious! Thanks for showing!

Xoxo,

Isabelle
    Isabelle´s last blog post ..Ganz große Cupcake Liebe ♥ mit Kokos, Mascarpone und weißer Schokolade

2. Jenna commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 4:00pm

This looks scrumptious! Definitely going to have to try this recipe out! Thanks for sharing this recipe…gluten free doesn’t have to be boring. :)

3. Tina Ramchandani commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 4:12pm

Thanks for this recipe Julia! It looks fairly easy to make and must healthier than “regular” bread. If it fails I’m coming to Brooklyn to get some!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Spring Market 2013 at the D&D Building

4. Kate commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 7:13pm

It looks amazing but I’m not sure I’ll be able to find the psyllium over here in the countryside in Kent, UK. It’s funny that you should refer to most of the bread over there as soft and white. If I think of bread and NYC I always imagine “pastrami on rye”! Is that just a misconception?

5. my sweet cloud commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 7:34pm

Wow!!

This looks so amazing!
    my sweet cloud´s last blog post ..Na Cozinha {Bundt cake}

6. Sarah commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 9:18pm

Yummy! I am gluten free and I cannot wait to gather the missing ingredients from my pantry to try this recipe. Thanks!
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Painting

7. Holly {Avenue} commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 9:34pm

Oooh that looks delicious and so healthy! Gotta try! Thank you :)
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Inside Scoop: Eclectic Charm in The Hague

8. Kate commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 9:48pm

Yay! Vegan and gluten-free bread! This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!
    Kate´s last blog post ..For Vases

9. kupranugarsi commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 9:57pm

wow! this looks sooo good! i’d probably eat the whole loaf at once! Love bread and definitely love nuts and seeds! :)
    kupranugarsi´s last blog post ..punting in the rain and Sunday postcards

10. Cindy Silverstein commented
    May 14th, 2013 at 10:09pm

This bread looks amazing and best of all, I am able to have all these ingredients, which is unusual in bread recipes that I see. Thank you so much!
    Cindy Silverstein´s last blog post ..I’m Learning How to Take Care of Myself

11. Joelle Rebmann commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:43am

How much water is used? 1,5 does that mean 1 1/2 cups?

12. Linda DaPra commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 1:30am

This looks delicious. More like granola bars than bread, but I’m going to make it this week…. YUM

13. Good Manya commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 1:32am

Thanks Julia!

This looks amazing! I really wanna try it.

Just one question, my boyfriend is allergic to oats and buckwheat would you be able to guide me with what I could substitute oats with?

Thank you!

14. Cintia Soto commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 2:46am

Definitely I will try looks delicious !!!
    Cintia Soto´s last blog post ..Valle de Guadalupe (Part I)

15. Lucy commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 4:58am

Yummy ! Thank you for sharing the pic.

16. mel commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:09pm

Really enjoying your “food in motion” Jewels! I love baking but bread has always seemed this no go place but you made it look super easy. Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..Make Your Month

17. Sarah - Art of Decor Blog commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 3:01pm

This is awesome…simply. Bread and that without gluten and flour. This is wonderful, can’t wait to try it right away. Thanks for sharing this.
    Sarah – Art of Decor Blog´s last blog post ..Pom Poms!

18. Shannon commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 7:19pm

Hi Jewels!

I just wanted to know where the psyllium seed husks and chai seeds can be found.

Thanks!
    Shannon

19. cice commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 2:29am

hi, i have been making this recipe for about 2 months now, once a week. i found it at the my new roots website. it is an awesome recipe and i love it but i am not sure if its totally gluten free on account of the rolled oats. my neighbor is gluten intolerant and cannot have rolled oats so take heed if you are concerned about that. otherwise its a fantastic recipe and super easy, just make sure you follow the baking instructions and take it out of the pan after 20 minutes of baking and finish on the shelf of your oven. bon appetite!!!

20. Daniela commented
    May 23rd, 2013 at 1:28pm

Great bread!!! Although oat is not a gluten free ingredient!!! If you are not celiac and just want to have a gluten free diet you might consider leave the rolled oats, otherwise this recipe is not apt for really gluten free intolerant.
    Anyway I am going to try skipping the oat,obviously ;)
    Nice video too!
    Daniela´s last blog post ..Pera Batlla Restaurant in L’Armentera

21. Tia commented
    May 24th, 2013 at 7:26pm

Hi Jewel,

I like the video you’ve made. But. I just have to say that I really feel you could’ve given Sarah B, the original inventor of this recipe, a little more credit since your version is only very slightly altered. I also suggest all your readers who like the bread head to mynewroots to read more about its healthy factors and maybe find answers to a question or two :) I’m not saying this to be mean at all, it’s swell that good recipes are spread, but to me it seems odd to borrow so much from somebody else’s work.

22. Michele commented
    May 27th, 2013 at 2:41pm

Looks delish; can’t wait to make it! Be sure, though, not to serve it to your vegan friends- ghee us not vegan.
    PS first time commenting. I love your site, bought your book, and finally learned how to make my apartment look great – thank you for your inspiration!!!

23. Sarah Fenton commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 6:41am

Hello there, I made this bread a couple of weeks ago and it was much tastier than I thought it would be. My guests really enjoyed it, so much so they took a copy of the recipe with them. Thank you!!

24. oh Holland commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 9:51am

Looks good but it’s not vegan when you use ghee instead of coconut oil. Also spreading butter on it …

25. Jewels commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 2:17pm

@oh Holland: Very true! Thanks for noticing. I am not vegan so I am not a specialist in that area… And I LOVE butter.

26. Verity du Sautoy commented
    June 26th, 2013 at 12:59pm

That can’t be vegan and gluten-free…it looks so yummy!! Note to self: make some.

Verity

27. Dominique commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 6:07am

I have to try this recipe!

28. lisaw commented
    August 6th, 2013 at 11:11pm

Ok, I read the comments and since I was already aware of the MyNewRoots version from pinning it months ago I decided to give you the benefit of doubt and compare them first. The only change you made was to add 1/3 cup more almonds and use 1/2 tsp more salt and 2 tbsp less maple syrup. No ingredient additions or subtractions just measurement amounts. These are the kind of changes one would make in their home to any recipe, however, a Julia Child recipe would STILL be a Julia Child recipe. This is STILL Sarah B’s recipe. Any pinterest links and the reverse traffic you receive from posting someone else’s already posted/published recipe is wrong and unethical.

29. decor8 commented
    August 7th, 2013 at 8:58am

@Lisaw – Posting something you made using a recipe that you credit is completely fine. This isn’t a cooking or recipe blog authored by chefs, it’s a design blog. My guest editor isn’t a chef or cook, she’s a photographer and claims to be nothing more than that. There is nothing wrong with making a recipe you found, crediting the source, adapting it to make it your own, and then making a beautiful, creative video to show how you did it to inspire and encourage others to try it too. There is nothing on Sarah’s website that says her readers are not allowed to make and share her recipes on their blogs.