Design Crush: Modular Storage System

Let’s talk about how much I love this clever storage system and how much you will in a moment after you see this photo below, ok? It’s by a Danish company called Bloomingville and is sold piece-by-piece so you can customize it to suit your needs. This certainly isn’t a new concept, modular storage systems have been around forever, but I really love how this one looks all styled up and that some of these are shaped like houses – co cute! What do you think? Would you do this?

Design Crush: Modular Storage System

If you live in Germany and want to order these, visit Car Moebel’s website here. If you live elsewhere, contact Bloomingville directly.

Do you love this or not? Thoughts? I want to do this so bad!

(image: car moebel)

Posted by decor8 in furniture on May 15, 2013

1. Kate commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:02pm

I think it looks lovely. The only problem with this sort of thing is that they tend to end up being very expensive to buy as many as shown in the picture here. Lovely concept though.

2. mel commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:13pm

This is really cute and like the different mix of materials and shapes. I’ve had my eye on the Muuto modular for some time (but not the price!) I move a lot at the moment and really struggle fitting my furniture into the different spaces so having anything modular seems all the more appealing.
    mel´s last blog post ..Make Your Month

3. Beccy commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:14pm

This is a great way to display your things. One of the things I’d love to do but never get round too!

4. Elena commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:21pm

Is that expensive? I suppose you could use some painted wine boxes and other different wooden boxes to create your own version…
    Elena´s last blog post ..New year resolutions

5. Jennifer commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 12:55pm

Not…it looks like something you’d see in a college dorm. The boxes don’t look quality or stylish. It could be a cute idea with different boxes and not so many.

6. tehmina interior design-management mafia commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 1:22pm

This modular storage system is no doubt is a great idea because you may shape it according to your room space and decor.

7. decor8 commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 2:14pm

@Mel – Yes I also love the Muuto ones!

8. decor8 commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 2:14pm

@Kate – Yeah you are right, I’m willing to best this one is around $1500 USD

9. Die Landfrau commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 2:31pm

Dear Holly,

please have a look at my homepage. I wrote about your new book. :-)
    Her it is: http://dielandfrau.blogspot.de/2013/05/normal-0-0-1-172-982-8-1-1205-11.html

10. Die Landfrau commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 2:32pm

Dear Holly, please have a look at my homepage. I wrote about your new book which I love. :-)

11. Sarah - Art of Decor Blog commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 2:55pm

It looks lovely and I think something like this could be DIY-ed too, with some good quality wood or some old boxes maybe, and using some paint. That would be according to your own style and requirement with an additional feel of yeah-i-did-it.
    Sarah – Art of Decor Blog´s last blog post ..Pom Poms!

12. decor8 commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 5:30pm

@Die Landfrau – Thank you so much! I just posted your review on my Facebook page and also on Pinterest here: http://pinterest.com/decor8/holly-beckers-wunderbare-wohnideen/
    Thank you so much! Can you please leave your review on Amazon.de too? That would be wonderful!!!!

13. Lisa Don commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 5:32pm

You could maybe use a standard sort of Ikea Lack system in white and add around it, to remove some on the ‘bulk’ of the cost. The houses are super cute!

14. Jennifer commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 6:19pm

Super fun design! Though, I don’t think it’s practical for a family with little kids. All I can picture is my four little ones knocking it over!

15. Yuri commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 9:15pm

it´s so great one can customize it to her or his needs!

16. Aileen@AtHomeinLove commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 9:57pm

Oh I DO love this!!! And yes, I think it’s largely because of that fantastic styling.
    Aileen@AtHomeinLove´s last blog post ..Wooden Cutting Boards

17. Gisela Damblon commented
    May 15th, 2013 at 10:12pm

I imagine this puzzle boxes full of the stuff which is on and in every corner of my house…could look like a picture of Picasso (in his young and stormy times)

18. Susan commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 2:16am

I do love it, in the photograph. However, I am wondering if it would look messy in real life, with all the different modules? I guess I like a more “orderly” feel to my display units.
    Susan´s last blog post ..The Beautiful Aloha State

19. Jocelyn Casey commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:11am

Oh I am loving this system! I can see this in my pantry :) Thank you for sharing Holly!
    Jocelyn Casey´s last blog post ..Elephant Ceramics

20. Mel Buchanan commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:43am

i LOVE the look of it, but would be scared of knocking it over. also – probably takes about an hour to dust it. :)
    Mx
    Mel Buchanan´s last blog post ..knowing it for sure

21. Ria commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 9:12am

Dear Holly,

I LOVE Bloomingville, it is a nice company and I like their company strategy to create things for the whole family in a stylish way. Bloomingville is the perfect match of industrial and a sort of shabby chic for me. Not to sweet but feminine. The boxes work in every room for me, from child to kitchen, living or in the entry. Thanks for sharing, Ria
    Ria´s last blog post ..Patios – modern

22. sue commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:03pm

it is cute and I have seen it in Denmark on my last visit there. But it is expensive. Maybe we need to be prepared to pay more for quality products made in Europe, as opposed to Ikea stuff, but even so, a display like that would set you back a bit.and the items collect the dust as there are no doors, so I would not buy it myself.
    sue´s last blog post ..Crossing Paris

23. Kreetta commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:27pm

I like modular systems, change happens quite easily and here’s some nice new twist with house shape…but I’m not sure would I buy these but certainly this is a good inspiration to own modular DIY…once I was a nightmare of moving – I had a bookcase built of tiles and boards. Quite heavy to carry. I don’t have it anymore. No no…
    Kreetta´s last blog post ..Magnificent Tillandsia Air Plant – Air Plant Giveaways

24. charmaine sylvia commented
    May 16th, 2013 at 8:44pm

Such a cute design!

25. ayo commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 2:05am

i dolove this

26. Aimee commented
    May 19th, 2013 at 5:15am

Love it! great way to display different sized objects and look more interesting then your average shelving unit. Could also be a good DIY project?
    Aimee´s last blog post ..On My Desk..

27. Jessica @shimmerkai commented
    May 20th, 2013 at 6:21pm

Great idea for storage. Love that it’s easy to customize!
    Jessica @shimmerkai´s last blog post ..Printable Summer 2013 Calendar

28. Marianne commented
    May 23rd, 2013 at 11:19am

I have actually been shopping for this idea. I found this collection from Bloomingville as a perfect solution for a shelf system. However at least in Norway, the boxes are only sold as 6piece per purchase. Meaning you do not have the same flexibility in combining rectangular or squared shapes as you like, considering you need to buy 6 of each. Not ideal. Otherwise I love it!

29. Jacqueline commented
    May 23rd, 2013 at 4:32pm

I think this will look good in a house with a modern concept. Love the colors and how the storage cabinets or boxes are stacked up. You can be as creative as you want with these pieces that’s why I love it.
    Jacqueline´s last blog post ..Vince Schticky – The Vince Offer Schticky Commercial!

30. Anne commented
    May 28th, 2013 at 11:21pm

I like the range of shapes and colours, and how you can tailor assemble a unit to suit your individual storage needs and decor preferences.

31. Scandstyle commented
    June 3rd, 2013 at 3:32pm

Lovely idea for storage. A great way to keep all the mess at one place – and it doesn’t even look that messy! Love it.

Scandstyle´s last blog post ..Clochard