Objects

Design Crush: Modular Storage System

May 15, 2013

Let’s talk about how much I love this clever storage system and how much you will in a moment after you see this photo below, ok? It’s by a Danish company called Bloomingville and is sold piece-by-piece so you can customize it to suit your needs. This certainly isn’t a new concept, modular storage systems have been around forever, but I really love how this one looks all styled up and that some of these are shaped like houses – co cute! What do you think? Would you do this?

Design Crush: Modular Storage System

If you live in Germany and want to order these, visit Car Moebel’s website here. If you live elsewhere, contact Bloomingville directly.

Do you love this or not? Thoughts? I want to do this so bad!

(image: car moebel)

You Might Also Like

31 Comments

• Reply Kate May 15, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I think it looks lovely. The only problem with this sort of thing is that they tend to end up being very expensive to buy as many as shown in the picture here. Lovely concept though.

• Reply decor8 May 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm

@Kate – Yeah you are right, I’m willing to best this one is around $1500 USD

• Reply mel May 15, 2013 at 12:13 pm

This is really cute and like the different mix of materials and shapes. I’ve had my eye on the Muuto modular for some time (but not the price!) I move a lot at the moment and really struggle fitting my furniture into the different spaces so having anything modular seems all the more appealing.

• Reply decor8 May 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm

@Mel – Yes I also love the Muuto ones!

• Reply Beccy May 15, 2013 at 12:14 pm

This is a great way to display your things. One of the things I’d love to do but never get round too!

• Reply Elena May 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Is that expensive? I suppose you could use some painted wine boxes and other different wooden boxes to create your own version…

• Reply Jennifer May 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Not…it looks like something you’d see in a college dorm. The boxes don’t look quality or stylish. It could be a cute idea with different boxes and not so many.

• Reply tehmina interior design-management mafia May 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm

This modular storage system is no doubt is a great idea because you may shape it according to your room space and decor.

• Reply Die Landfrau May 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Dear Holly,

please have a look at my homepage. I wrote about your new book. :-)
    Her it is: http://dielandfrau.blogspot.de/2013/05/normal-0-0-1-172-982-8-1-1205-11.html

• Reply Die Landfrau May 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Dear Holly, please have a look at my homepage. I wrote about your new book which I love. :-)

• Reply Sarah - Art of Decor Blog May 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm

It looks lovely and I think something like this could be DIY-ed too, with some good quality wood or some old boxes maybe, and using some paint. That would be according to your own style and requirement with an additional feel of yeah-i-did-it.

• Reply Lisa Don May 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm

You could maybe use a standard sort of Ikea Lack system in white and add around it, to remove some on the ‘bulk’ of the cost. The houses are super cute!

• Reply Jennifer May 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Super fun design! Though, I don’t think it’s practical for a family with little kids. All I can picture is my four little ones knocking it over!

• Reply Yuri May 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm

it´s so great one can customize it to her or his needs!

• Reply Aileen@AtHomeinLove May 15, 2013 at 9:57 pm

Oh I DO love this!!! And yes, I think it’s largely because of that fantastic styling.

• Reply Gisela Damblon May 15, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I imagine this puzzle boxes full of the stuff which is on and in every corner of my house…could look like a picture of Picasso (in his young and stormy times)

• Reply Susan May 16, 2013 at 2:16 am

I do love it, in the photograph. However, I am wondering if it would look messy in real life, with all the different modules? I guess I like a more “orderly” feel to my display units.

• Reply Jocelyn Casey May 16, 2013 at 3:11 am

Oh I am loving this system! I can see this in my pantry :) Thank you for sharing Holly!

• Reply Mel Buchanan May 16, 2013 at 3:43 am

i LOVE the look of it, but would be scared of knocking it over. also – probably takes about an hour to dust it. :)
    Mx

• Reply Ria May 16, 2013 at 9:12 am

Dear Holly,

I LOVE Bloomingville, it is a nice company and I like their company strategy to create things for the whole family in a stylish way. Bloomingville is the perfect match of industrial and a sort of shabby chic for me. Not to sweet but feminine. The boxes work in every room for me, from child to kitchen, living or in the entry. Thanks for sharing, Ria

• Reply sue May 16, 2013 at 5:03 pm

it is cute and I have seen it in Denmark on my last visit there. But it is expensive. Maybe we need to be prepared to pay more for quality products made in Europe, as opposed to Ikea stuff, but even so, a display like that would set you back a bit.and the items collect the dust as there are no doors, so I would not buy it myself.

• Reply Kreetta May 16, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I like modular systems, change happens quite easily and here’s some nice new twist with house shape…but I’m not sure would I buy these but certainly this is a good inspiration to own modular DIY…once I was a nightmare of moving – I had a bookcase built of tiles and boards. Quite heavy to carry. I don’t have it anymore. No no…

• Reply charmaine sylvia May 16, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Such a cute design!

• Reply ayo May 17, 2013 at 2:05 am

i dolove this

• Reply Aimee May 19, 2013 at 5:15 am

Love it! great way to display different sized objects and look more interesting then your average shelving unit. Could also be a good DIY project?

• Reply Jessica @shimmerkai May 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Great idea for storage. Love that it’s easy to customize!

• Reply Marianne May 23, 2013 at 11:19 am

I have actually been shopping for this idea. I found this collection from Bloomingville as a perfect solution for a shelf system. However at least in Norway, the boxes are only sold as 6piece per purchase. Meaning you do not have the same flexibility in combining rectangular or squared shapes as you like, considering you need to buy 6 of each. Not ideal. Otherwise I love it!

• Reply Jacqueline May 23, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I think this will look good in a house with a modern concept. Love the colors and how the storage cabinets or boxes are stacked up. You can be as creative as you want with these pieces that’s why I love it.

• Reply Anne May 28, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I like the range of shapes and colours, and how you can tailor assemble a unit to suit your individual storage needs and decor preferences.

• Reply Scandstyle June 3, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Lovely idea for storage. A great way to keep all the mess at one place – and it doesn’t even look that messy! Love it.