Happy Weekend!

I have so much to write about today, lots of great stories, but I’m tired so I’m going to take a blog break since I have loads of prep work to do for next week! What is happening next week??? Ohhhh fun times!  My dear friend and creative partner-in-crime, Leslie Shewring, will fly to Hannover to work with me for a week! We begin the styling and photography part of our book next week and I can’t wait! It will be very satisfying to see our ideas come to light and she and I work so beautifully together that I know nothing but love will go into this project which will show in the work, I’m sure. Creative work is like that, you get out what you put in it emotionally. I’ve been very busy ordering props and getting what is needed in order for us to make a huge dent in this project with her and well, it’s Friday afternoon and I’m tired after running around all week. I want to have a glass of white wine after my final skype meeting today and chill out. You know that feeling, right? When you just need to rest and get yourself mentally prepared for a huge project? It’s funny, I felt today like I really needed fresh flowers – but nothing from the store – something wild. And I was thinking where in the world I would find them as you can’t just run into someone else’s yard with a pair of scissors, right? So after my husband and I went on a lunch date, there was this random lady selling lilacs on the street that she cut from her yard – a bunch for only 2 Euros, and well… I couldn’t resist. And I couldn’t believe it. Look at these beauties in deep purple and a pale violet…

Lilacs

Lilacs

My home smells like a dream. That is definitely enough to make a weekend more beautiful, isn’t it? And so affordable and special. I love that this stuff happens when you need it the most. I was really craving fresh cut blooms and these are just perfect. They looked so pretty wrapped in newspaper with their perky blooms peeking out as we walked home. I kept thinking of how much it’s those little moments in life that mean more than anything else. The simple things. Do you find this too? Like things happen at the right time and often you are struck by the fact that they were the easiest and most simple things?

And by the way, the trick with preserving floral branches is to either cut an “X” at the bottom of the stem to open them up or hammer the bottoms lightly. You want to spread the bottom of the stem so they can drink water easily. As we were walking, this lady came out of her little clothing shop and told my husband how to preserve them longer – out of the blue – she just walked out from her shop and explained to him how to gently hammer them. I just smiled. I love my town. I love openness and caring and simple, beautiful little things. I hope you can find something simple and beautiful to cheer you this weekend too. Try hard to find something while your out and about that is cheap or free but that warms your heart and take note of what it is. That way, the next time you need a lift, you have a note of what lifted your spirits the time before. For me, it’s always flowers, good friends and well, the love we feel from others who care.

It is a holiday here in Germany on Monday, so I’m taking off, but I’ll be back on Tuesday to blog so I’ll meet you back here then. Have a wonderful weekend!

(images: holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on May 17, 2013

1. Gudy Herder commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 4:35pm

I have never seen but in Germany this real culture of preserving flowers!
    I like the way you painted your frames, Holly! Have a relaxing weekend before the big project comes to life! xx
    Gudy Herder´s last blog post ..The flower festival in Girona | Temps de Flors

2. decor8 commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 4:47pm

@Gudy – Thank you Gudy – I took the glass and backs out and just painted them with Farrow & Ball “Arsenic” paint and taped photos I took inside. :)

3. Souraya | Binti Home commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 5:14pm

wauw holly, i wish you all the luck, inspiration and creativity for next weeks project. I think it’s great when you can put all your creativity together in a book, and more lovely to work together with another great talented stylist! Looking foreward to see some snapshots on your blog or instagram ;-) Have a nice weekend!

best regards,
    Souraya ( Binti Home )

4. Gabrielle Treanor commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 5:24pm

What a lovely post, Holly, you really made me smile. I love it when the world just seems to work in harmony and strangers demonstrate how easy it is to be lovely to each other. I’ve a hankering for fresh flowers too so I’ll see what happens over the weekend! Have a great long weekend and enjoy the vino :)

5. Marianne commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 5:44pm

I was just going to tell you that lilacs don’t keep long in a vase…
    Thank you for the tip.
    Have a lovely weekend and a great week with Leslie!
    Marianne´s last blog post ..On my Wishlist: Canon 100D/SL1

6. Abigail@abigail*ryan commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 7:38pm

So beautiful…

I’m so excited for you and Leslie for next week. I’m sure it will be amazing, and fun, AND exhausting but SO worth it. Love that you say with creative work you get out what you put in emotionally, and I think that is so so true…

Some of the most tiring weeks can be the ones that move you forward the most, lay the most solid groundworks and lead to the best things, or ideas! It’s almost like exercise, you feel so wrung out, but in a good way! ;)

Have a great weekend. Those Lilacs are just divine. Xo
    Abigail@abigail*ryan´s last blog post ..New Collection Debut at Pulse…

7. All things nice... commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 7:42pm

Wo

8. All things nice... commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 7:44pm

Wow love your flowers, I too was craving wild flowers yesterday and went off for a walk around the farm, found some nice bluebells and some cherry blossoms so I topped up my flowers on my kitchen table.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend and good luck with all the photography and styling- sounds like fun!

All things nice…

9. Tereza commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 7:53pm

your home is so pretty!!! what beautiful lilacs
    Tereza´s last blog post ..Last day

10. MoodKids - Maike commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 8:11pm

Enjoy your weekend Holly, your in-door-garden is wonderful!

11. tinajo commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 8:45pm

Enjoy your weekend, and have that glass of white! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Friday people – Friday!

12. decor8 commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 8:46pm

@Souraya – I’ll definitely be snapping pics via Instagram :)

13. Ana@FluxiOnTour commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 9:29pm

I’m so excited to see your collaboration with Leslie. You guys are both such creative people. Wish Leslie would blog more often. She has an amazing eye for colors.

Happy weekend, Holly!
    Ana@FluxiOnTour´s last blog post ..STYLE :: HAWAII PRINTS

14. Nicky khan commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 9:33pm

Thanks Holly you’re the best.
    Good luck with everything can’t wait to
    see your amazing work xx

15. Glenda Childers commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 9:40pm

You and Leslie are a wonderful creative duo.

I grew up in “the lilac city.” Such a beautiful flower and so easy to arrange.

Enjoy your rest.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..The countdown

16. Pamela Grimaud commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 9:50pm

Thanks for a lovely post – happy weekend to you and best of luck with your big project next week!

Pamela (Montreal)

17. Dee Huynh commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 9:55pm

It’s inspirational to read your wonderful post today: I picked up a lovely fallen tree branch yesterday, did some minor TLC and simply incorporated it into my decor. The result was beautiful but I’ve been hesitating to write a blog post about this little project thinking it’s too simple for a design blog. Well, you just inspired me to share anyway since the simplest little things often bring the most joy..
    Dee Huynh´s last blog post ..The Beautiful Edible Landscape: Permanent Elements

18. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 10:03pm

Have a wonderful week! I still have the ‘Where Women Create’ where you are both featured! True inspiration!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Insta-Friday…

19. Joanna @gurasucrystal commented
    May 17th, 2013 at 11:36pm

Beautiful words! Beautiful space.
    You are right, lets start taking pleasure in small things, everyday! Flowers always put a smile on my face and so I often take a short break and get out to my garden which has always some seasonal blooms ( the ex owner was a gardener). Raise a glass to small things! I will drink to it:-)

20. Marjory commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 1:53am

I can imagine the scent in your beautiful home with these gorgeous wild lilacs. mmmm thanks for sharing the beauty of the little things that bring so much joy. I am going to the beach tomorrow to relax & swim in the the warm Atlantic ocean of Miami. Yes to giving ourselves permission to do what we love. Yay!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Oscillations of a heart in motion

21. mel commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 5:54am

What a lovely post Holly:) I didn’t know about the cross or hammering the ends of the stem, I always just cut them on an angle so I’ll definitely try that next time. The free stuff is always the best! Happy weekend! Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..Gallivanting Finds

22. Laurence W commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 7:59am

Nice post

23. Ria commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 10:49am

Dear Holly,
    I´m so with you about the lilac. A friend of my came thursday to a glass of champagne and brings me an arm full of lilacs from her yard, only to makes me happy. The smell and the colors are so specific – just lilac.
    I love this time in the garden and the country. Wish you a wonderful long weekend and a great creativ time. I´ll bet you will have lots of fun.
    Greetings, Ria
    Ria´s last blog post ..Bathroom Inspiration – wie entkommen wir der grünen Hölle?

24. Josine commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 3:53pm

beautiful flowers, enjoy your weekend!
    Josine´s last blog post ..Tutorial onderzetter & give away DIY pakket!

25. Janet Wilson commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 4:44pm

So pretty, I can only imagine the smell :)

Have a lovely long weekend :)

26. Amy commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 8:55pm

So lovely to be reminded of the simple things – just like popping onto your blog Holly and getting the lift I needed, been getting bogged down with the general pace of life and frustrated at having no time to be creative so your little post reminded me that sometimes just taking a moment to look around can be all the inspiration we need. Thanks as always x
    Amy´s last blog post ..Simple pleasures: APC

27. Gosia commented
    May 18th, 2013 at 11:33pm

funnily enough i bought the same amount pf the same kind of flowers for the same price last Thursday from a random lady in the street, but mine are purple and white. And I hammered tchem too! Have a nice weekend before hard work next week.

28. Hydi Hoost (stof enzo) commented
    May 19th, 2013 at 8:23am

Flowers: love them. My hous is filled with flowers every day. Love your post:)

29. Kate commented
    May 19th, 2013 at 9:09pm

Those are so lovely! How serendipitous that she was selling exactly the flowers you needed for your home.
    Kate´s last blog post ..For Birds & Bees

30. Sarah @ Mocha commented
    May 20th, 2013 at 2:09pm

Hope you’re enjoying your long weekend. Those lilacs add such a burst of spring to your home. What gorgeous shades of purple!
    Sarah @ Mocha´s last blog post ..Happiness Is Not Just A Destination

31. Aileen@AtHomeinLove commented
    May 20th, 2013 at 5:22pm

Ooh those lilacs are just gorgeous! I know what you mean about wanting something garden fresh sometimes, not just from the store. I like your minty green frames too and am excited to see what comes out of all your hard work! I’m sure it will be nothing less than beautiful and inspiring.
    Aileen@AtHomeinLove´s last blog post ..Wallpapered Fridges

32. Vicki commented
    May 20th, 2013 at 9:01pm

So beautifully expressed, Holly. I’m with you … the simple things are the BEST. :)

xo
    Vicki

33. Holly @HollyPop Designs commented
    May 20th, 2013 at 9:48pm

The flowers are gorgeous! I really wish our lilac bush had bloomed this year but unfortunately with the crazy cold weather this year in early may, it didn’t. :(
    Holly @HollyPop Designs´s last blog post ..Song Lyrics You Are My Sunshine Yellow Gray Pottery Barn Georgia Bedding Floral Decor Ideas Baby Girl Nursery bedroom wall pictures by HollyPopDesigns

34. Lisa | Happy By commented
    May 20th, 2013 at 11:12pm

Beautiful people who share beauty deserve beautiful things. Often! Have a great week Holly!
    Lisa | Happy By´s last blog post ..DIY flower canvas for your mother

35. Michelle Ho commented
    May 21st, 2013 at 2:16am

Chanced upon your blog and enjoy reading it! :)

36. Marlynne Snare commented
    May 21st, 2013 at 5:46am

Was just re-reading one of my Where Woman Create magazines and decided to check out your blog. The fresh flowers for sale on the street is something very rare here, but such a nice idea!

37. Ada (new york) commented
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:47pm

serendipity = that lady came accross ur path selling the lilac beauties = they r GORGEOUS! Holly + Leslie . the dynamic duo back together working again yaaaay!
    Ada (new york)´s last blog post ..a Tree and Bicycle IN a FOYER’s fabulousness!

38. Rosa Paula commented
    May 22nd, 2013 at 7:32pm

It is so great to appreciate these little magic moments in our life, when everything just falls into place perfectly!

I hope you are having a terrific week with Leslie! Can’t wait to see your book!

I have to ask:do you have to style your home for these shots or does it always look this beautiful and tidy? Oh, I wish I lived in a Holly Becker world… ;-)
    Rosa Paula´s last blog post ..Embalagens comuns viram papel de presente * Everyday packaging turns into wrapping paper

39. Debbie Akkerdaas commented
    May 22nd, 2013 at 9:21pm

I just love your tip on the flowers. I live in the Netherlands. And my husband and I moved here a little over a year ago to take over my husband family hotel/B&B. With all the flowers here in Holland (I have a brown thumb) I need all the flower help I can get. Thank you! PS. I do love Germany. Shhhh don’t tell the Dutch. lol

40. Juliane at Modern Mural commented
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:46pm

Germany sounds wonderful! I’m loving these lilacs. I always remember the lilac bush my grandmother had in her yard. It was magical when it would bloom.

41. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 23rd, 2013 at 3:12am

I love this…..a beautiful and uplifting post. I hope you have a beautiful holiday hun and enjoy every minute with Leslie! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things & Little moments

42. Marinda commented
    May 23rd, 2013 at 10:12pm

oh, I really enjoyed reading this blog post! Your blog is so positive, lovely and inspirational, I always come here time after time to read all the bits I’ve missed!
    Marinda´s last blog post ..Summertime

43. KMP Modern commented
    May 24th, 2013 at 10:38pm

Thanks for the cut flowers tip. I love those lilacs you happened to find. I have always loved their simplicity, vibrant and soothing color and divine fragrance. It always reminds me of Europe and Van Gogh. Good luck with your book!

44. Barbara commented
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:10am

Ohh!! I just found out of your blog. So pretty!
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Quick breakfast for busy moms

45. kadrium commented
    May 29th, 2013 at 10:20am

Beautiful! The room looks more gorgeous because of the flower plant. Thanks for sharing.

46. Lana Manis commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 3:42am

The lilacs are beautiful and are one of my flowers. I can almost smell them!
    Lana Manis´s last blog post ..Blue Hydrangea flowers, fine art print, 8×10 by LanaManisDesigns