uncategorized

Happy Weekend!

May 17, 2013

I have so much to write about today, lots of great stories, but I’m tired so I’m going to take a blog break since I have loads of prep work to do for next week! What is happening next week??? Ohhhh fun times!  My dear friend and creative partner-in-crime, Leslie Shewring, will fly to Hannover to work with me for a week! We begin the styling and photography part of our book next week and I can’t wait! It will be very satisfying to see our ideas come to light and she and I work so beautifully together that I know nothing but love will go into this project which will show in the work, I’m sure. Creative work is like that, you get out what you put in it emotionally. I’ve been very busy ordering props and getting what is needed in order for us to make a huge dent in this project with her and well, it’s Friday afternoon and I’m tired after running around all week. I want to have a glass of white wine after my final skype meeting today and chill out. You know that feeling, right? When you just need to rest and get yourself mentally prepared for a huge project? It’s funny, I felt today like I really needed fresh flowers – but nothing from the store – something wild. And I was thinking where in the world I would find them as you can’t just run into someone else’s yard with a pair of scissors, right? So after my husband and I went on a lunch date, there was this random lady selling lilacs on the street that she cut from her yard – a bunch for only 2 Euros, and well… I couldn’t resist. And I couldn’t believe it. Look at these beauties in deep purple and a pale violet…

Happy Weekend!

Happy Weekend!

My home smells like a dream. That is definitely enough to make a weekend more beautiful, isn’t it? And so affordable and special. I love that this stuff happens when you need it the most. I was really craving fresh cut blooms and these are just perfect. They looked so pretty wrapped in newspaper with their perky blooms peeking out as we walked home. I kept thinking of how much it’s those little moments in life that mean more than anything else. The simple things. Do you find this too? Like things happen at the right time and often you are struck by the fact that they were the easiest and most simple things?

And by the way, the trick with preserving floral branches is to either cut an “X” at the bottom of the stem to open them up or hammer the bottoms lightly. You want to spread the bottom of the stem so they can drink water easily. As we were walking, this lady came out of her little clothing shop and told my husband how to preserve them longer – out of the blue – she just walked out from her shop and explained to him how to gently hammer them. I just smiled. I love my town. I love openness and caring and simple, beautiful little things. I hope you can find something simple and beautiful to cheer you this weekend too. Try hard to find something while your out and about that is cheap or free but that warms your heart and take note of what it is. That way, the next time you need a lift, you have a note of what lifted your spirits the time before. For me, it’s always flowers, good friends and well, the love we feel from others who care.

It is a holiday here in Germany on Monday, so I’m taking off, but I’ll be back on Tuesday to blog so I’ll meet you back here then. Have a wonderful weekend!

(images: holly becker)

You Might Also Like

46 Comments

• Reply Gudy Herder May 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I have never seen but in Germany this real culture of preserving flowers!
    I like the way you painted your frames, Holly! Have a relaxing weekend before the big project comes to life! xx

• Reply decor8 May 17, 2013 at 4:47 pm

@Gudy – Thank you Gudy – I took the glass and backs out and just painted them with Farrow & Ball “Arsenic” paint and taped photos I took inside. :)

• Reply Souraya | Binti Home May 17, 2013 at 5:14 pm

wauw holly, i wish you all the luck, inspiration and creativity for next weeks project. I think it’s great when you can put all your creativity together in a book, and more lovely to work together with another great talented stylist! Looking foreward to see some snapshots on your blog or instagram ;-) Have a nice weekend!

best regards,
    Souraya ( Binti Home )

• Reply decor8 May 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm

@Souraya – I’ll definitely be snapping pics via Instagram :)

• Reply Gabrielle Treanor May 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm

What a lovely post, Holly, you really made me smile. I love it when the world just seems to work in harmony and strangers demonstrate how easy it is to be lovely to each other. I’ve a hankering for fresh flowers too so I’ll see what happens over the weekend! Have a great long weekend and enjoy the vino :)

• Reply Marianne May 17, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I was just going to tell you that lilacs don’t keep long in a vase…
    Thank you for the tip.
    Have a lovely weekend and a great week with Leslie!

• Reply Abigail@abigail*ryan May 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm

So beautiful…

I’m so excited for you and Leslie for next week. I’m sure it will be amazing, and fun, AND exhausting but SO worth it. Love that you say with creative work you get out what you put in emotionally, and I think that is so so true…

Some of the most tiring weeks can be the ones that move you forward the most, lay the most solid groundworks and lead to the best things, or ideas! It’s almost like exercise, you feel so wrung out, but in a good way! ;)

Have a great weekend. Those Lilacs are just divine. Xo

• Reply All things nice... May 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Wo

• Reply All things nice... May 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Wow love your flowers, I too was craving wild flowers yesterday and went off for a walk around the farm, found some nice bluebells and some cherry blossoms so I topped up my flowers on my kitchen table.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend and good luck with all the photography and styling- sounds like fun!

All things nice…

• Reply Tereza May 17, 2013 at 7:53 pm

your home is so pretty!!! what beautiful lilacs

• Reply MoodKids - Maike May 17, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Enjoy your weekend Holly, your in-door-garden is wonderful!

• Reply tinajo May 17, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Enjoy your weekend, and have that glass of white! :-)

• Reply Ana@FluxiOnTour May 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I’m so excited to see your collaboration with Leslie. You guys are both such creative people. Wish Leslie would blog more often. She has an amazing eye for colors.

Happy weekend, Holly!

• Reply Nicky khan May 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Holly you’re the best.
    Good luck with everything can’t wait to
    see your amazing work xx

• Reply Glenda Childers May 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm

You and Leslie are a wonderful creative duo.

I grew up in “the lilac city.” Such a beautiful flower and so easy to arrange.

Enjoy your rest.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Pamela Grimaud May 17, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Thanks for a lovely post – happy weekend to you and best of luck with your big project next week!

Pamela (Montreal)

• Reply Dee Huynh May 17, 2013 at 9:55 pm

It’s inspirational to read your wonderful post today: I picked up a lovely fallen tree branch yesterday, did some minor TLC and simply incorporated it into my decor. The result was beautiful but I’ve been hesitating to write a blog post about this little project thinking it’s too simple for a design blog. Well, you just inspired me to share anyway since the simplest little things often bring the most joy..

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang May 17, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Have a wonderful week! I still have the ‘Where Women Create’ where you are both featured! True inspiration!

• Reply Joanna @gurasucrystal May 17, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Beautiful words! Beautiful space.
    You are right, lets start taking pleasure in small things, everyday! Flowers always put a smile on my face and so I often take a short break and get out to my garden which has always some seasonal blooms ( the ex owner was a gardener). Raise a glass to small things! I will drink to it:-)

• Reply Marjory May 18, 2013 at 1:53 am

I can imagine the scent in your beautiful home with these gorgeous wild lilacs. mmmm thanks for sharing the beauty of the little things that bring so much joy. I am going to the beach tomorrow to relax & swim in the the warm Atlantic ocean of Miami. Yes to giving ourselves permission to do what we love. Yay!

• Reply mel May 18, 2013 at 5:54 am

What a lovely post Holly:) I didn’t know about the cross or hammering the ends of the stem, I always just cut them on an angle so I’ll definitely try that next time. The free stuff is always the best! Happy weekend! Mel x

• Reply Laurence W May 18, 2013 at 7:59 am

Nice post

• Reply Ria May 18, 2013 at 10:49 am

Dear Holly,
    I´m so with you about the lilac. A friend of my came thursday to a glass of champagne and brings me an arm full of lilacs from her yard, only to makes me happy. The smell and the colors are so specific – just lilac.
    I love this time in the garden and the country. Wish you a wonderful long weekend and a great creativ time. I´ll bet you will have lots of fun.
    Greetings, Ria

• Reply Josine May 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

beautiful flowers, enjoy your weekend!

• Reply Janet Wilson May 18, 2013 at 4:44 pm

So pretty, I can only imagine the smell :)

Have a lovely long weekend :)

• Reply Amy May 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm

So lovely to be reminded of the simple things – just like popping onto your blog Holly and getting the lift I needed, been getting bogged down with the general pace of life and frustrated at having no time to be creative so your little post reminded me that sometimes just taking a moment to look around can be all the inspiration we need. Thanks as always x

• Reply Gosia May 18, 2013 at 11:33 pm

funnily enough i bought the same amount pf the same kind of flowers for the same price last Thursday from a random lady in the street, but mine are purple and white. And I hammered tchem too! Have a nice weekend before hard work next week.

• Reply Hydi Hoost (stof enzo) May 19, 2013 at 8:23 am

Flowers: love them. My hous is filled with flowers every day. Love your post:)

• Reply Kate May 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Those are so lovely! How serendipitous that she was selling exactly the flowers you needed for your home.

• Reply Sarah @ Mocha May 20, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hope you’re enjoying your long weekend. Those lilacs add such a burst of spring to your home. What gorgeous shades of purple!

• Reply Aileen@AtHomeinLove May 20, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Ooh those lilacs are just gorgeous! I know what you mean about wanting something garden fresh sometimes, not just from the store. I like your minty green frames too and am excited to see what comes out of all your hard work! I’m sure it will be nothing less than beautiful and inspiring.

• Reply Vicki May 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm

So beautifully expressed, Holly. I’m with you … the simple things are the BEST. :)

xo
    Vicki

• Reply Holly @HollyPop Designs May 20, 2013 at 9:48 pm

The flowers are gorgeous! I really wish our lilac bush had bloomed this year but unfortunately with the crazy cold weather this year in early may, it didn’t. :(

• Reply Lisa | Happy By May 20, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Beautiful people who share beauty deserve beautiful things. Often! Have a great week Holly!

• Reply Michelle Ho May 21, 2013 at 2:16 am

Chanced upon your blog and enjoy reading it! :)

• Reply Marlynne Snare May 21, 2013 at 5:46 am

Was just re-reading one of my Where Woman Create magazines and decided to check out your blog. The fresh flowers for sale on the street is something very rare here, but such a nice idea!

• Reply Ada (new york) May 21, 2013 at 9:47 pm

serendipity = that lady came accross ur path selling the lilac beauties = they r GORGEOUS! Holly + Leslie . the dynamic duo back together working again yaaaay!

• Reply Rosa Paula May 22, 2013 at 7:32 pm

It is so great to appreciate these little magic moments in our life, when everything just falls into place perfectly!

I hope you are having a terrific week with Leslie! Can’t wait to see your book!

I have to ask:do you have to style your home for these shots or does it always look this beautiful and tidy? Oh, I wish I lived in a Holly Becker world… ;-)

• Reply Debbie Akkerdaas May 22, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I just love your tip on the flowers. I live in the Netherlands. And my husband and I moved here a little over a year ago to take over my husband family hotel/B&B. With all the flowers here in Holland (I have a brown thumb) I need all the flower help I can get. Thank you! PS. I do love Germany. Shhhh don’t tell the Dutch. lol

• Reply Juliane at Modern Mural May 22, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Germany sounds wonderful! I’m loving these lilacs. I always remember the lilac bush my grandmother had in her yard. It was magical when it would bloom.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 23, 2013 at 3:12 am

I love this…..a beautiful and uplifting post. I hope you have a beautiful holiday hun and enjoy every minute with Leslie! :)
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Marinda May 23, 2013 at 10:12 pm

oh, I really enjoyed reading this blog post! Your blog is so positive, lovely and inspirational, I always come here time after time to read all the bits I’ve missed!

• Reply KMP Modern May 24, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Thanks for the cut flowers tip. I love those lilacs you happened to find. I have always loved their simplicity, vibrant and soothing color and divine fragrance. It always reminds me of Europe and Van Gogh. Good luck with your book!

• Reply Barbara May 27, 2013 at 11:10 am

Ohh!! I just found out of your blog. So pretty!

• Reply kadrium May 29, 2013 at 10:20 am

Beautiful! The room looks more gorgeous because of the flower plant. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Lana Manis May 30, 2013 at 3:42 am

The lilacs are beautiful and are one of my flowers. I can almost smell them!