DIY

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

May 28, 2013

Hello, it’s Lisa Tilse here from the red thread. I’m delighted to be a new contributor to decor8 and I’m excited to be sharing lovely simple and quick craft projects with you each month with a new column called Make Me. I believe everyone has some creativity in them, and crafting is a wonderful way to get in touch with that. Handmade is good for the soul – for your soul when you stop to focus on making with your hands and heart, and for those who receive the gift of something handmade.

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

Even if you aren’t confident enough in your crafting skills to give a handmade gift, you can still put love and care into gift wrapping. This project is all about that – creating gorgeous unique no-sew fabric gift bags handmade by you. It’s quick and easy to make a batch of these in one session and you’ll have something ready for a little thank you or hostess gift.

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

You’ll need:
6.5 inch square pieces of cotton fabric, 2 for each gift bag.
Pinking scissors. These scissors cut with a zig zag line. They aren’t essential, but they give a lovely finish and stop the edges from fraying.
Double sided tape about a quarter inch wide.
Embellishments like ribbon, leather thonging, gift tags, feathers, pom poms, beads, or flowers.

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

Step 1: Cut the fabric
Cut the fabric squares with pinking scissors. Quilting shops sell fabric precut to this size, and ‘charm packs’ which are 5 inch squares, both with pinked edges. These gift bags are also a great way to use up fabrics you have.

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

Step 2: Apply the tape
Apply double sided tape on the wrong side of the fabric around three sides.

Step 3: Assemble the bags
Remove the backing from the tape and position the second square of fabric on top so that all the edges are aligned.
Rub along the taped edges with your fingernails to ensure both pieces of fabric are adhered to the tape. Easy!

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

DIY: Fabric Gift Bags

Step 4: Wrap and decorate
Pop the gift inside. These fabric gift bags are strong enough to use for little gifts like jewelry, washi tape, gift cards, a lovely bar of soap, or a little wrapped sweet treat.

Have fun decorating! If you have any questions, please just ask me in the comments section below.

See you again in June with another Make Me column! – Lisa

(images/text: lisa tilse)

You Might Also Like

37 Comments

• Reply FrauSchmitt May 28, 2013 at 2:22 pm

This is going to be a great new column on your blog, Holly. Lisa, I love this DIY idea a lot. It’s easy and fast and looks great. I was thinking about using double sided tape lately. Thank you so much for showing that it works.
    I’m already looking forward to your next project!

Cheers,
    Steffi

• Reply Rosalind Gregoire May 28, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Oh I love these! I would put lavender in them! :)

• Reply Tina Ramchandani May 28, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Congrats on the new column! These look fairly easy to make. I’ll give them a try :)

• Reply Louisa Blackmore May 28, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Hi Lisa & Holly,

What a fab blog post – I am definitely going to try this out, anything that saves turning the sewing machine on is a winner with me.

I LOVE these little bags, they are so cute. And the best bit is, I have everything I need already to get started. Perfect.

Thanks so much,
    Louisa

• Reply Marianne May 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Welcome to Decor8! Thank you for the lovely tutorial. Even I can do this ;-)

• Reply Julia May 28, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Lovely! I´m looking forward for more tips!

• Reply Aileen@AtHomeinLove May 28, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Love this!! There is nothing better than a package that is thoughtfully wrapped.

• Reply Anette@lebenslustiger May 28, 2013 at 9:07 pm

So adorable! Glad to meet you Lisa ☆

• Reply Marie May 28, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I love the idea! It’s simple, cute and beautiful! :)

• Reply Space By Design May 28, 2013 at 11:44 pm

Adorable! A handmade gift is by far better than store bought, no matter what it looks like. These are great.

• Reply Daniela May 29, 2013 at 12:50 am

Hello Lisa, nice to meet you :)

These gift bags are lovely and unique! I love your choice of fabrics, really pretty!

• Reply Steph Bond-Hutkin May 29, 2013 at 12:56 am

So lovely and easy and effective. I feel like these have been made just for me! I’ll need to start collecting gorgeous feathers – they are so effective with these little parcels. Well done Lisa – can’t wait to see your next column.

• Reply Emma Steendam May 29, 2013 at 12:58 am

I’m so excited about this new column – and even more so that it’s an Aussie! Yay! I love the red thread, and I love decor8, this is brilliant. These little gift bags are gorgeous, simple but gorgeous. I love it.

• Reply donna May 29, 2013 at 1:13 am

simply gorgeous…thank you

• Reply georgie May 29, 2013 at 4:40 am

love the idea so simple
    i am so going to do this

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 29, 2013 at 6:20 am

@FrauSchmitt: Thanks so much for your welcome Steffi. I’m a fan of double sided tape… far less messy than glue!

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 29, 2013 at 6:21 am

@Louisa Blackmore: Hey Louisa! I hope you enjoy making them – so great that you already have everything you need.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 29, 2013 at 6:22 am

@Marianne: Thanks Marianne! I’m so happy to hear that you think you can do this… that’s what I’m aiming for here on decor8: simple and fun projects.

• Reply Hina May 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

What a great and functional idea! I just love the idea of using fabric as gift bag and in such an easy and trendy way is definitely a hit for me. I’ll try it for sure!

• Reply Ria May 29, 2013 at 10:15 am

Dear Lisa,
    this DIY looks so simple but charming. I´m a girl with two left hands, so I´m happy for any simple projects. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    Hope you will enjouy your column, like we will.
    Greetings, Ria

• Reply Sara May 29, 2013 at 11:29 am

I love them, it’s a colour explosion with several uses. I´m going to try it out

Me encantan, los colores entran por los ojos y además se le puede dar un motón de usos. Lo probaré.

• Reply Amanda @ Easy Peasy Organic May 29, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Gorgeous ideas and photos, Lisa! This is crafting I think even I could manage ;)

• Reply Olga May 29, 2013 at 7:02 pm

What a good idea!
    It’s cute.

• Reply Lindsey Bonnice May 30, 2013 at 2:02 am

Love these! Such wonderful and simple gift idea, can’t wait to try them!

• Reply Janel from NellieBellie May 30, 2013 at 3:34 am

These are so sweet!! Pinning and remembering these come Christmas!

• Reply Wendy May 30, 2013 at 3:57 am

Love it! What a great idea.

• Reply Tanya May 30, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hi Lisa,
    I just wondered where you got your gorgeous fabric please…I want to source the exact same x Thanks X Tan

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm

@Anette@lebenslustiger: Thanks Anette :)

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm

@Daniela: Thanks for the welcome Daniela! The fabrics are in one of my favourite colour combos. I love pinks and turquoise together.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 30, 2013 at 1:35 pm

@Steph Bond-Hutkin: Thanks Steph – I have lots of lovely ideas in store for my column here on decor8.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm

@Ria: Thanks so much for your warm welcome Ria!

• Reply lisa :: the red thread May 30, 2013 at 1:42 pm

@Tanya: Hi Tanya, All the fabrics are from quilting fabric lines. The pink toile and pale turquoise with cream flowers are fabrics by Tilda, the blue and green geometric design was a scrap from my fabric stash which I can’t identify (sorry), and the scallop design is a fabric from my new range called Hello Tokyo for Robert Kaufman – due in stores in Australia in July and other countries in October :) I’m glad you like my choice!

• Reply Lauren May 30, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I adore great packaging! This is a DIY I will try!! So cute, thank you for sharing this lovely project with us! I look forward to what you have in store in June!

• Reply Diane June 3, 2013 at 4:36 pm

These are SO cute nice to know that even a non-sew-er can make something so pretty. I have 4 BIG craft shows coming up between now and August so I plan on hitting Joanns Fabrics and Wal-mart if they still have fabric.

• Reply Iva Y June 9, 2013 at 3:58 pm

These are SO cute! Who doesn’t love pretty patterns and beautifully smelling things? :)

• Reply Lynne, Papermash August 9, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Love this series! And love this no-sew project!

• Reply Elizabeth Keeler September 7, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Thank you for sharing perfect for the ‘natural’ look I was wanting to convey..much appreciation ♥