Events + Markets

Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

May 29, 2013

If you’ve met Holly or know her words, she is a fearless cheerleader of using whatever means you have to create a memorable, inspiring life for yourself. Thirty seconds of courage allowed me to sign up to one of her workshops last year and now here I am, lucky (excited!) and so very happy to be sharing with you in a new monthly column called Simple Times. But I should first introduce myself, my name is Rincy and I was born in India, brought up in Michigan and am currently living in Dublin, Ireland. I work as a training pediatrician and I have a blog called a little bird where I share small pleasures that make me happy. The world of blogging can be overwhelming at the best of times, but I’ve found there is a truth in simplicity, in the little things of every day and sometimes a whole lot of little can be pretty magical. Don’t you agree?

Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

In April, I was lucky enough to attend a Kinfolk Flower Potluck with a few others in London. It was the most sweetly inspiring way to welcome a new season- surrounded by florals, open conversation and a shared meal around a table.

Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

Truth is, I don’t have matching napkins and decorative flatware. I worry about things going just right. I usually end up forgetting something important at the store. But I do have what I need: food, a table, friends to gather and sometimes even a tealight or two. And more often than not, the best memories are the ones where we forget about perfection and embrace those imperfectly endearing moments of togetherness.

I’ve grown to become quite fond of them. Maybe this is something that you can think about if you are holding back from inviting over friends because you want everything to be ‘just right’. Simply gather together those you love, grab some fresh bread and yummy things to put on it, a bottle of wine and let the magic begin.

I’ll be back again next month with another thought about Simple Times. See you in June! – Rincy.

(images/text: rincy koshy)

• Reply Fay Vowell May 29, 2013 at 10:37 am

Rincy, hi! your blog post was perfect timing…I’d just finished picking a few fresh roses & a snippet from a chilli bush in my garden to create a super simply sweet arrangement which I’ve plonked on the corner of my desk. Just before clicking on Holly’s tweet I was thinking how magic can be found in the simplest of things.

• Reply JAN May 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

Yes Yes Yessss! You are so right, I spend far too much time worrying, and in the end the company is all you need, and always perfect.

• Reply snappystreet May 29, 2013 at 11:25 am

I love this post!

At times, I often forget that although our table might be small, we have to cram people around it on bench seating with socks on the bottom of the legs to protect the wooden floor boards and we don’t have 8 matching wine glasses – it doesn’t matter!

People love to be entertained, wined and dined and enjoy lovely company and conversation – regardless of place settings and matching cutlery.

I may be inspired to host another dinner again soon, so thank you! x

• Reply Desiree May 29, 2013 at 11:32 am

such a beautiful magazine this is, there was a meeting in Amsterdam as well :)

• Reply Holly {Avenue Lifestyle} May 29, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Rincy! I am beyond excited to read your first post on Decor8, and how lovely it was to read too. Sometimes we forget how beautiful the simple things in life are. I am glad you reminded me. Holly x

• Reply Anna May 30, 2013 at 2:35 am

Love what you said in the first para, That there is “truth in simplicity, in the little things of every day and sometimes a whole lot of little can be pretty magical. Don’t you agree?”

I agree. I am also from India (kerala) but now live in the US with my family. Checked out your blog. Love it.

• Reply Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan May 30, 2013 at 3:20 am

Thank you for a wonderful blog.
    I am looking forward to every day.

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang May 30, 2013 at 5:49 am

Rincy, Hi! I’m so glad to meet you! Your words are so calming – thank you! Have a blessed day!

• Reply Gudy Herder May 30, 2013 at 7:52 am

I love their concept and story. Simple and meaningful. Lovely pictures, Rincy. Good to see you here!

• Reply Emily @ The Em Dash May 30, 2013 at 8:01 am

I love your style! And would feel so proud to host a get-together like you did. Everything looks so lovely.

So happy to read your post and look forward to many more to follow!

• Reply Nathalie May 30, 2013 at 9:23 am

So delighted to see Rincy here! Her posts are always a little oasis of calm, warmth and authenticity. Can’t wait to see more!

• Reply Louisa Blackmore May 30, 2013 at 10:46 am

Rincy — your blog posts always make smile and take me on a little journey through your amazing photographs. I love this post – you are so right that things don’t need to perfect to enjoy an evening with friends. I am such a faffer when it comes to dinner parties, I need to adopt a more laid-back approach. x

• Reply Flaneur May 30, 2013 at 10:50 am

Your style is greatful!!! Lovely pictures too…

• Reply Frances Schultz May 30, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Thank you Rincy, just perfect and couldn’t agree more.

• Reply Ria May 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Some friends, a bread and something to add. So beautiful. What a nice post. Thanks a lot to remeber me to think about the simple things today. Waiting for next month to see more! Greetings, Ria

• Reply Rincy K May 30, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Thank you all for such sweet comments and the best welcome ever! I feel like the luckiest girl over in Dublin right now :)

So looking forward to sharing in more in the coming months xx

ps I have to give a shout out to the gorgeous ladies of Juniper & Lily –they hosted the event and made it such a gorgeous experience for us. And of course to Kinfolk, quite possibly the most beautiful publication ever.

• Reply Magda June 1, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Rincy, it is soooo good to see your here and I am looking forward to more of your posts on decor8! Take care and hope to see you soon in real life (any plans to come to Germany again? :))

• Reply Yuri June 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

wonderful post and great thoughts! :)