Simple Times: Kinfolk Flower Potluck in London

If you’ve met Holly or know her words, she is a fearless cheerleader of using whatever means you have to create a memorable, inspiring life for yourself. Thirty seconds of courage allowed me to sign up to one of her workshops last year and now here I am, lucky (excited!) and so very happy to be sharing with you in a new monthly column called Simple Times. But I should first introduce myself, my name is Rincy and I was born in India, brought up in Michigan and am currently living in Dublin, Ireland. I work as a training pediatrician and I have a blog called a little bird where I share small pleasures that make me happy. The world of blogging can be overwhelming at the best of times, but I’ve found there is a truth in simplicity, in the little things of every day and sometimes a whole lot of little can be pretty magical. Don’t you agree?

In April, I was lucky enough to attend a Kinfolk Flower Potluck with a few others in London. It was the most sweetly inspiring way to welcome a new season- surrounded by florals, open conversation and a shared meal around a table.

Truth is, I don’t have matching napkins and decorative flatware. I worry about things going just right. I usually end up forgetting something important at the store. But I do have what I need: food, a table, friends to gather and sometimes even a tealight or two. And more often than not, the best memories are the ones where we forget about perfection and embrace those imperfectly endearing moments of togetherness.

I’ve grown to become quite fond of them. Maybe this is something that you can think about if you are holding back from inviting over friends because you want everything to be ‘just right’. Simply gather together those you love, grab some fresh bread and yummy things to put on it, a bottle of wine and let the magic begin.

I’ll be back again next month with another thought about Simple Times. See you in June! – Rincy.

(images/text: rincy koshy)

Posted by decor8 in Simple Times on May 29, 2013

1. Fay Vowell commented
    May 29th, 2013 at 10:37am

Rincy, hi! your blog post was perfect timing…I’d just finished picking a few fresh roses & a snippet from a chilli bush in my garden to create a super simply sweet arrangement which I’ve plonked on the corner of my desk. Just before clicking on Holly’s tweet I was thinking how magic can be found in the simplest of things.
    Fay Vowell´s last blog post ..People with BITE…Holly Hipwell

2. JAN commented
    May 29th, 2013 at 10:54am

Yes Yes Yessss! You are so right, I spend far too much time worrying, and in the end the company is all you need, and always perfect.

3. snappystreet commented
    May 29th, 2013 at 11:25am

I love this post!

At times, I often forget that although our table might be small, we have to cram people around it on bench seating with socks on the bottom of the legs to protect the wooden floor boards and we don’t have 8 matching wine glasses – it doesn’t matter!

People love to be entertained, wined and dined and enjoy lovely company and conversation – regardless of place settings and matching cutlery.

I may be inspired to host another dinner again soon, so thank you! x

4. Desiree commented
    May 29th, 2013 at 11:32am

such a beautiful magazine this is, there was a meeting in Amsterdam as well :)

5. Holly {Avenue Lifestyle} commented
    May 29th, 2013 at 9:06pm

Rincy! I am beyond excited to read your first post on Decor8, and how lovely it was to read too. Sometimes we forget how beautiful the simple things in life are. I am glad you reminded me. Holly x

6. Anna commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 2:35am

Love what you said in the first para, That there is “truth in simplicity, in the little things of every day and sometimes a whole lot of little can be pretty magical. Don’t you agree?”

I agree. I am also from India (kerala) but now live in the US with my family. Checked out your blog. Love it.

7. Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 3:20am

Thank you for a wonderful blog.
    I am looking forward to every day.

8. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 5:49am

Rincy, Hi! I’m so glad to meet you! Your words are so calming – thank you! Have a blessed day!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Guest Post | Nancy Evans | 6 Decorating Ideas for Your Kid’s Room

9. Gudy Herder commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 7:52am

I love their concept and story. Simple and meaningful. Lovely pictures, Rincy. Good to see you here!
    Gudy Herder´s last blog post ..Travel treasures: Styling workshop at The Hive with Dietlind Wolf

10. Emily @ The Em Dash commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 8:01am

I love your style! And would feel so proud to host a get-together like you did. Everything looks so lovely.

So happy to read your post and look forward to many more to follow!
    Emily @ The Em Dash´s last blog post ..Arts, crafts aplenty at Butchertown Art Fair Saturday

11. Nathalie commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 9:23am

So delighted to see Rincy here! Her posts are always a little oasis of calm, warmth and authenticity. Can’t wait to see more!

12. Louisa Blackmore commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 10:46am

Rincy — your blog posts always make smile and take me on a little journey through your amazing photographs. I love this post – you are so right that things don’t need to perfect to enjoy an evening with friends. I am such a faffer when it comes to dinner parties, I need to adopt a more laid-back approach. x

13. Flaneur commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 10:50am

Your style is greatful!!! Lovely pictures too…
    Flaneur´s last blog post ..MACETEROS TEXTILES

14. Frances Schultz commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 1:21pm

Thank you Rincy, just perfect and couldn’t agree more.
    Frances Schultz´s last blog post ..A Tale of Two Birthdays–Indoor and Outdoor Entertaining

15. Ria commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 2:02pm

Some friends, a bread and something to add. So beautiful. What a nice post. Thanks a lot to remeber me to think about the simple things today. Waiting for next month to see more! Greetings, Ria
    Ria´s last blog post ..Zandvoort an de Zee – Teil II

16. Rincy K commented
    May 30th, 2013 at 9:14pm

Thank you all for such sweet comments and the best welcome ever! I feel like the luckiest girl over in Dublin right now :)

So looking forward to sharing in more in the coming months xx

ps I have to give a shout out to the gorgeous ladies of Juniper & Lily –they hosted the event and made it such a gorgeous experience for us. And of course to Kinfolk, quite possibly the most beautiful publication ever.
    Rincy K´s last blog post ..Kinfolk Flower Potluck

17. Magda commented
    June 1st, 2013 at 11:40pm

Rincy, it is soooo good to see your here and I am looking forward to more of your posts on decor8! Take care and hope to see you soon in real life (any plans to come to Germany again? :))
    Magda´s last blog post ..Color of the year – wingback chairs meet modern rustic

18. Yuri commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 8:46am

wonderful post and great thoughts! :)