Four Big Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2013

Hello this is Gudy Herder from Eclectic Trends and I’m visiting you again this month with a trend post on decor8. I recently attended a trend conference forum from Mix Global Color Research in London held at the Pulse design show and the content was so amazing that you will love it if you are in the business of keeping up with trends. Even if you’re not, it’s still fascinating. Sallie Davies from Global Color Research gave us a sneak peak into an upcoming trend book published by Mix Publications about colour and pattern trends for Fall/Winter 2013-14.

The major trends that are influencing the colour and pattern landscape for the upcoming season Fall/Winter 2013/14 are: FLINT – STORM – CLUSH – ALPINE.

Four Big Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2013

FLINT
We need to step back to an honest approach in design. There is a certain Neolethic style going back to our roots reflected by rich earth soil colours, warm neutrals, rust. Primitive aesthetics, organic and handmade themes, found objects meant to express our own personality. Sophisticated and soft, rough and ready are the opposites that play nicely together. Thick leathers, hemp yarns and rustic and fossil textures are key here.

stoFour Big Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2013rm

STORM
Climate changes such as floods have been a big deal globally, leading to uncertainty and a certain surrealism reflected in hot and cold colours, bright and smokey shades. Feminine is meeting masculine. Colours range from different blues evoking a storm mood to a softer sand, salmon and bright red, always aiming to combine hot and cold colours. Changing structures and ethereal layers given through semi-opaque layers are translated into cool tye dye effects, blurred and and monofilament weaves. Holographic and metallic touches add reflective qualitities, deep structures and deep monofilament weaves are key here.

Four Big Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2013

CLASH
The main message is that we need to be positive. Traditional design shall be reconducted in new colourways. Bold colours are mixed with pastels. Blacks are not black but got a dark blue underground. Tutti Frutti colours are combined with neutral colours such as dark brown so they still work in a luxury environment. Pattern on pattern with a “more is more” approach are the way to go. It is a very expressive trend with intermixed styles. Mother of pearl shall be observed with a shiny and reflective quality. Plastic is not used as a cheap material but high end due to innovative finishings. Bold wallpapers are key here.

Four Big Interiors Trends For Fall/Winter 2013

ALPINE
This trend brings the outdoors in, there is a need of comfort, of time, being together and a friendly approach to a real folk feeling. The colours are warm (reds) and natural (greens and brown). Materials such as cork and wood shouldn’t be hidden but enhanced and embraced in any design. It’s all about sustainability and renewing of energies. Organic material is used in an honest way to make people feel happy and healthy.

If you’ve ever wanted to know how trends are established, here’s how Global Color Research works: they hold biannual sessions bringing together top experts from all over the globe from different industries. Trends that are being observed and shared at these events are done two years in advance. It’s all about future thinking, discussing certain influences, bringing in their own insights, collaborating and at the end, defining the trends. It is so interesting to me to see how every kind of environmental, economic or psychological issues might lead into a new trend.

I hope you have enjoyed this forecast, I’ve loved putting it together for you. Do you have a favorite colour scheme here? What do you think about this trend approach starting from a social behaviour, need or environmental circumstances? I would love to hear your comments!

Thank you so much Holly for having me! – Gudy

(images: mix)

Posted by decor8 in Top Trends on June 06, 2013

1. ilaria commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 2:38pm

This is so interesting! My favorite trends are the Alpine and the Clash. I love the colours associated with them and the idea of having outside inside (as per the Alpine). I love how they get to know the colours for tomorrow. I am a passionate lover of colours (even though my latest posts are mainly white, but I am in a relaxing slow mood right now ;-) Thank you Gudy for this nice post xx
    ilaria´s last blog post ..HOUSE TOUR INSPIRATION

2. Glenda Childers commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 2:50pm

Some of these colors match the towels my daughter just got for her wedding. Interesting.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..The Childers Wedding Bakery

3. Myrte commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 3:29pm

Fascinating indeed. I think the second one and the last one is the strongest. But that has to do with my work and how I will use colour.
    I believe trends always come from social behaviour and the zeitgeist. I always love it when people say they think they can avoid trends. TIME is trends. Life is trends.
    Thanks for sharing Gudy!

4. gosia commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 7:50pm

Lascaux: the first art. galery in the world! I love they named one of natural colours after it.

5. Wendy Stead commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 8:03pm

This is my “Trendy” Autumn Giant Fabric Woodland Animal Nursery Wall Art Scene featuring many of the Autumn colours suggested in your blog

I can confirm this particular colour scheme has been a fantastic hit with my customer and has been the most popular one by far.

Will certainly take into consideration the other colour schemes you are suggesting.

Thanks for a great review…
    Wendy

6. Anne Marie Jackson Pattern Occurring commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 8:09pm

Thanks Gudy. I have been feeling the flint colours too. Maybe it is because i have just visited the natural History Museum in London. I Love the flint and Mammoth together. Will you be sharing the pattern trends too? As for patterns I am loving cultural mixing http://annemariejackson.com/patternoccurring/2013/6/6/cultural-mixing

7. Anette@lebenslustiger commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 8:11pm

This is fantastic Gudy! Thanks so much for sharing – not sure yet, which are my favorite palette but i am absolutely inspired.
    Happy Day, Anette
    Anette@lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Yoga (SO) Easy…

8. debbie commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 9:26pm

I enjoyed this information tremendously. Some of the colors I absolutely love. I have always had eclectic taste in everything. It suits me well.

9. iris commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 9:27pm

I love color and especially Trend color research ! So this post really appeals to me. Thx Holly and Gudy!
    iris´s last blog post ..City trip Berlijn | City trip Berlin | Prenzlauer Berg | deel 2

10. Kristin Johnsen commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 9:31pm

Fascinating! I was just noting this week how colors of nature inspire my interior and some of the mixed media paintings that I do, so this is really timely! And I love that in alpine, red is included – when working in mixed media, one often adds a pop of red to energize the subtle colors of nature – cool! thanks for sharing!!!
    Kristin Johnsen´s last blog post ..Noticing the trends – and pondering what they mean

11. Deborah Beau commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 9:50pm

I’m definitely Flint here – rustic, leather, bone, slate…I might surprise myself by adding a few mammoth / foraged tones this winter. Will let you know!
    Deborah Beau´s last blog post ..Shop Watch: Mavis & Osborn

12. sue commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 11:03pm

interesting. I like all of them, but if I had to choose, it would be flint or alpine I think. Mind you, I am trying not to think about Fall yet, I want to enjoy the summer and was thinking about redoing the living room based on the soft water colour like fabrics around at present.
    sue´s last blog post ..Berlin day 3

13. glomerylane commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 7:42am

My favourite is Storm. Thank you for the inspiration, Gudy!
    ♥ Inga
    glomerylane´s last blog post ..Einblick: Tränendes Herz

14. Ria commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 9:11am

Thanks Gudy, for sharing the color palettes with us.
    At the moment I tend from neutrals to a more clash way of colors. I just paint an old shutter with “Laudanum”. You can see the result on my blog here: http://riabstyle.blogspot.de/2013/06/old-shutter-new-look
    Wish you all a colorful morning
    Greetings, Ria
    Ria´s last blog post ..Skelettpflanze – ein wenig Grün für unseren Eingang

15. Louise commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 9:42am

I’m really a ‘color’ person.
    I like the combination of the backgrounds with the colors here.
    I use color always intuïtive in my paintings.

Here flint is my favorite.

“Color in a painting is like enthusiasme in life” Vincent van Gogh

Thank you for sharing this.

16. Anne Bourne commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 1:35pm

The Flint palette is by far my favourite.

17. Lena commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 1:53pm

What an interesting insight, Gudy! I couldn’t even pick the trend I like the most, because they all appeal to me and I think they all go well together, too. I’m sure that trends don’t just appear out of the blue but that there is something behind it, always. Like Myrte said in one comment up there: Life ist trends, time is trends. Very true.

18. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 2:50pm

absolutely fascinating!
    my favorite is the alpine color palette.
    Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..À La Plage, À La Piscine

19. Gudy Herder commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 4:37pm

Hi Ilaria, I like your observation of getting the outside inside. Very obvious but haven’t thought about putting it in just one sentence. Nice.

20. Gudy Herder commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 4:45pm

It is always such a personal thing, that’s why I like to ask and see all your answers. Let’s see which will be the dominant trend this Fall!

21. Gudy Herder commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 4:47pm

Hi Lena, yes, there is always going on something that creates a trend. Alpine i.e.comes from the need to slow down to basics after a massive consuming period and be connected much more to nature and sustainability. What other colours than green and brown could represent that feeling?

22. Gudy Herder commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 4:53pm

@Louise: Nice to hear that you work in an intuitive way. I guess that is an artist thing. Does it depend on your mood how you work with colors?

23. Gudy Herder commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 5:00pm

@Anette@lebenslustiger: Hallo Anette, very happy to have given some inspiration and reach such a nice audience here on decor8. Let me know if you have been able to adapt any idea to your collections.

24. Gudy Herder commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 5:04pm

@Myrte: Well, the trend thing is something to observe in my opinion and you decide if you take part of it or not the way is’s translated into patterns, colours, shapes and so on. And yes, the famous Zeitgeist plays an important role too.

25. Katja/ Neovia house commented
    June 7th, 2013 at 8:15pm

I really like the Flint color scheme – never get tired of natural, muted but fresh colors! I believe those are colours that are always “trendy”.
    Katja/ Neovia house´s last blog post ..Decorating Outside Part II

26. mel commented
    June 8th, 2013 at 1:58am

Thanks for this report Gudy. I find it so fascinating how they come up with the colour trends, here I thought it was one or two people using a certain colour or two and then others catching on… innocent huh!
    mel´s last blog post ..My Space – Hege Morris of Hege in France

27. Gudy Herder commented
    June 9th, 2013 at 2:15pm

@mel: Dear Mel, in fact when they invite trendsetter from different fields, those bring a presentation with them which can be about anything they spot and believe it will become somehow an influence. I like the idea of having “normal” people who just observe setting up trends now.

28. miya commented
    June 10th, 2013 at 9:21pm

great combinations!

29. Helen commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 5:19pm

Gorgeous color trends! I love to work with bright colors so ‘CLASH’ is speaking to me! I love Alpine too though…maybe because I live in the mountains :)
    I look forward to seeing which ones catch on next season. Thanks for sharing.

30. Justin {Love By Black & White Bedding] commented
    June 12th, 2013 at 5:49pm

I love these color combinations, I’m in love with my black and white bedding set, could you pair some of the colors in the Flint palette with this color combination or would they just clash – Thoughts? Justin

31. Details Design Studio commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 8:13pm

just mentioned this in my blog! Really unique colors.
    Details Design Studio´s last blog post ..It’s only June but…

32. Gudy Herder commented
    June 23rd, 2013 at 10:39am

@Justin {Love By Black & White Bedding]: Black and white is one of the easiest starting points and any colour would work out fine in a combination. The Flint tones could add a warmer touch except for the Neanderthal, I believe.

33. Becca commented
    August 20th, 2013 at 6:24pm

Hi, LOVE your trend summary, it has some beautiful combinations, i hope you like my response to the clash theme X