Summer Berry Cake Recipe

June 13, 2013

Hello everyone it’s Liz here with another “episode” (or perhaps “webisode”?) of Food In Motion where Jewels and I show a quick video each month on decor8 showing what we made recently along with the recipe so you can try it yourself. We alternate months, so I take a month and Jewels takes the next… This month it’s my turn to have fun in the kitchen! Since summer finally arrived here in Germany and you can get berries everywhere, I really wanted to use them in my kitchen and share with you what I came up with along with the help of my little daughter…

Berries taste wonderful on their own, but don’t they taste even better when there is cake around them??? Oh yes! Right now I’m working on my fourth cookbook and my three-year-old daughter sees me in the kitchen a lot when we’re home. She loves helping me, especially when I tell her I’m baking a cake! So it didn’t take any persuasion at all to get her to place the berries on top of the batter! I always give her little tasks when I’m cooking and she loves to help. Do your children like to cook with you? She rushes to put on her apron and gets out her own little mixing bowl and wooden spoons, standing on her stool to reach the countertop. I find it really important to involve children right from the start in the cooking process: it shows them what we eat and how the dishes we eat are made. When my daughter saw the powdered sugar later on the little cakes she cried: “Mommy! It’s snowing, although it’s summer!” — Let’s hope that didn’t inspire the weather gods to send us more November days in June!

Summer Berry Cake Recipe

Berry Cake – You will need:
2 eggs
150 g sugar (3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
150 g flour (1 1/4 cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
50 ml milk (1/4 cup)
75 g butter, melted (1/3 cup)
125 g red currants (1 cup)
125 g blueberries (1 cup)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. In a bowl mix eggs and sugar on high until thick and pale. Combine flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and add it to the eggs and sugar. Mix in the milk and the melted butter until it’s a nice and thick batter. Wash the berries and pat them dry on a towel. Pour the batter in a round silicone baking pan, smooth the top with a spatula and place the berries on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until top becomes golden brown.

I hope that you like the video and recipe – thank you so much for supporting Food In Motion through your pins, tweets and other online shares – we really appreciate it – we put a lot of work into this column as you can imagine so it’s always so rewarding when you comment and share what we’re doing here – again, thank you!Liz

(Film & Photo: Lisa Nieschlag from Liz&Jewels, Music: Thorsten Becker, Cake stands: 3punktF)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Juan Bosco June 13, 2013 at 11:54 am

Hi Liz and Holly, mmm this cake really looks good! tomorrow I will do it! Congrats for the explication! ;))
    Juan Bosco

• Reply Tatjana June 13, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Just love it! :))

• Reply Sarah Coco Lapine June 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm

That looks so delicious ! I’m going to try this recipe this weekend !

• Reply barbara June 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Amazing, I love it!

• Reply laura redburn // cardboardcities June 13, 2013 at 12:30 pm

this looks delicious, i’ll have to make it some day! i definitely agree that berries taste better with cakes around them!

• Reply Taxi from Victoria June 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm

That looks so delicious, I like it!

• Reply Sabine June 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

What a lovely video. Love the litlle helping hands.

• Reply Holly {Avenue} June 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm

I love this column! Makes baking look so simple, and this cake looks absolutely delish :)

• Reply Isabelle June 13, 2013 at 2:27 pm

What a wonderful little movie, Liz! So cute those tiny little helping hands! My three daughters also love to be in the kitchen with me and for my birthday in May they even made me a birthday cake in our neighbour’s kitchen all by themselves as a surprise. That was the most wonderful birthday present ♥

• Reply nancy June 13, 2013 at 2:56 pm

ein liebes sonnig-beeriges hallo an alle mitwirkenden dieses süßen projekts…

mir gefällt eure food in motion – reihe sehr gut!
    die kleinen händchen sind einfach zuckersüß!!! mit wieviel liebe sie die einzelnen beeren in den kuchen legt…

und -oh ja… – maria und ich wissen, wie viel arbeit in einem kurzen 2-3 minuten filmchen stecken….

das tolle an den visuell sehr ansprechenden und sich bewegenden bildern ist, dass man sofort lust bekommt in die küche zu stürmen…
    so geht es mir zumindest gerade bei diesen beerenkuchen…

vielen dank dafür!

ps. wenn ihr lust habt, dann würden wir uns sehr über euer feedback zu unserem fimchen freuen… ihr seid ja schließlich schon filmprofis..

• Reply decor8 June 13, 2013 at 5:55 pm

@Nancy – Your video is really pretty! My only thought is that it is too long. It’s best to keep these types of food videos at around 2 minutes or less. :)

• Reply Raquel @ The Lost Lanes June 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Yum!! That look AMAZING!!

• Reply Liese | lipstickandsoda June 13, 2013 at 6:29 pm

thanks so much for the recipe, berries with some cake around it usually do taste amazing :)

• Reply fenny setiawan June 14, 2013 at 6:47 am

I really like this recipe because it is simple to make. And I will try it for sure with my three years old daughter :). She is a wonderful helper, always love to bake with me.

A little note: I love T’s music, It sounds a little bit oriental to me :), nice.

• Reply Liz June 14, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thank you so much for the great comments and feedback!
    I love doing the series Food in Motion – it’s a real challenge and a new way to think in pictures.
    Looking forward to the next little film!
    xo liz

• Reply Rach June 14, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Yummmmmmm! Going to try this! My girls will love helping.

• Reply mel June 15, 2013 at 1:38 am

Hi Lisa! This is such a lovely video, watching those little hands sprinkle the raspberries is so sweet. I agree about getting the kids in the kitchen, mine enjoy it so much and it’s setting them up for good habits later on. M x

• Reply amy June 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it and experiment With other berries too. Summer food is the best!

• Reply Raquel Faria July 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Oh my, it looks delicious :D and so easy to bake!
    Your blog is precious!
    Keep up with the amazing work and photos!

Regards from Portugal!