Food In Motion: Summer Berry Cake Recipe

Hello everyone it’s Liz here with another “episode” (or perhaps “webisode”?) of Food In Motion where Jewels and I show a quick video each month on decor8 showing what we made recently along with the recipe so you can try it yourself. We alternate months, so I take a month and Jewels takes the next… This month it’s my turn to have fun in the kitchen! Since summer finally arrived here in Germany and you can get berries everywhere, I really wanted to use them in my kitchen and share with you what I came up with along with the help of my little daughter…

Berries taste wonderful on their own, but don’t they taste even better when there is cake around them??? Oh yes! Right now I’m working on my fourth cookbook and my three-year-old daughter sees me in the kitchen a lot when we’re home. She loves helping me, especially when I tell her I’m baking a cake! So it didn’t take any persuasion at all to get her to place the berries on top of the batter! I always give her little tasks when I’m cooking and she loves to help. Do your children like to cook with you? She rushes to put on her apron and gets out her own little mixing bowl and wooden spoons, standing on her stool to reach the countertop. I find it really important to involve children right from the start in the cooking process: it shows them what we eat and how the dishes we eat are made. When my daughter saw the powdered sugar later on the little cakes she cried: “Mommy! It’s snowing, although it’s summer!” — Let’s hope that didn’t inspire the weather gods to send us more November days in June!

Berry Cake

Berry Cake – You will need:
2 eggs
150 g sugar (3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
150 g flour (1 1/4 cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
50 ml milk (1/4 cup)
75 g butter, melted (1/3 cup)
125 g red currants (1 cup)
125 g blueberries (1 cup)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. In a bowl mix eggs and sugar on high until thick and pale. Combine flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and add it to the eggs and sugar. Mix in the milk and the melted butter until it’s a nice and thick batter. Wash the berries and pat them dry on a towel. Pour the batter in a round silicone baking pan, smooth the top with a spatula and place the berries on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until top becomes golden brown.

I hope that you like the video and recipe – thank you so much for supporting Food In Motion through your pins, tweets and other online shares – we really appreciate it – we put a lot of work into this column as you can imagine so it’s always so rewarding when you comment and share what we’re doing here – again, thank you!Liz

(Film & Photo: Lisa Nieschlag from Liz&Jewels, Music: Thorsten Becker, Cake stands: 3punktF)

Posted by decor8 in food, Food In Motion on June 13, 2013

1. Juan Bosco commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 11:54am

Hi Liz and Holly, mmm this cake really looks good! tomorrow I will do it! Congrats for the explication! ;))
    Juan Bosco

2. Tatjana commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:12pm

Just love it! :))

3. Sarah Coco Lapine commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:17pm

That looks so delicious ! I’m going to try this recipe this weekend !
    Sarah Coco Lapine´s last blog post ..Happy home

4. barbara commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:21pm

Amazing, I love it!
    barbara´s last blog post ..Father’s day!

5. laura redburn // cardboardcities commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:30pm

this looks delicious, i’ll have to make it some day! i definitely agree that berries taste better with cakes around them!
    laura redburn // cardboardcities´s last blog post ..cardboardcities crush – harriet gray

6. Taxi from Victoria commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:44pm

That looks so delicious, I like it!

7. Sabine commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:05pm

What a lovely video. Love the litlle helping hands.
    Sabine´s last blog post ..summer love: summer bucket list

8. Holly {Avenue} commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:43pm

I love this column! Makes baking look so simple, and this cake looks absolutely delish :)
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..The Mill Blanket: All Natural Dutch Design

9. Isabelle commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:27pm

What a wonderful little movie, Liz! So cute those tiny little helping hands! My three daughters also love to be in the kitchen with me and for my birthday in May they even made me a birthday cake in our neighbour’s kitchen all by themselves as a surprise. That was the most wonderful birthday present ♥

Xoxo,

Isabelle
    Isabelle´s last blog post ..Erdbeertörtchen ♥ Ein Sommertraum mit Mascarpone und Schokocrossie-Boden

10. nancy commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:56pm

ein liebes sonnig-beeriges hallo an alle mitwirkenden dieses süßen projekts…

mir gefällt eure food in motion – reihe sehr gut!
    die kleinen händchen sind einfach zuckersüß!!! mit wieviel liebe sie die einzelnen beeren in den kuchen legt…

und -oh ja… – maria und ich wissen, wie viel arbeit in einem kurzen 2-3 minuten filmchen stecken….

das tolle an den visuell sehr ansprechenden und sich bewegenden bildern ist, dass man sofort lust bekommt in die küche zu stürmen…
    so geht es mir zumindest gerade bei diesen beerenkuchen…

vielen dank dafür!

nancy

ps. wenn ihr lust habt, dann würden wir uns sehr über euer feedback zu unserem fimchen freuen… ihr seid ja schließlich schon filmprofis..

11. Raquel @ The Lost Lanes commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 5:31pm

Yum!! That look AMAZING!!

12. decor8 commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 5:55pm

@Nancy – Your video is really pretty! My only thought is that it is too long. It’s best to keep these types of food videos at around 2 minutes or less. :)

13. Liese | lipstickandsoda commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 6:29pm

thanks so much for the recipe, berries with some cake around it usually do taste amazing :)

14. fenny setiawan commented
    June 14th, 2013 at 6:47am

I really like this recipe because it is simple to make. And I will try it for sure with my three years old daughter :). She is a wonderful helper, always love to bake with me.

A little note: I love T’s music, It sounds a little bit oriental to me :), nice.

15. Liz commented
    June 14th, 2013 at 9:14am

Thank you so much for the great comments and feedback!
    I love doing the series Food in Motion – it’s a real challenge and a new way to think in pictures.
    Looking forward to the next little film!
    xo liz
    Liz´s last blog post ..Homemade Granola – A Giveaway.

16. Rach commented
    June 14th, 2013 at 7:48pm

Yummmmmmm! Going to try this! My girls will love helping.
    Rach´s last blog post ..More Yellow!

17. mel commented
    June 15th, 2013 at 1:38am

Hi Lisa! This is such a lovely video, watching those little hands sprinkle the raspberries is so sweet. I agree about getting the kids in the kitchen, mine enjoy it so much and it’s setting them up for good habits later on. M x
    mel´s last blog post ..Misato Suzuki Art

18. amy commented
    June 19th, 2013 at 11:11pm

Oh my goodness, this looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it and experiment With other berries too. Summer food is the best!

19. Raquel Faria commented
    July 19th, 2013 at 12:23pm

Oh my, it looks delicious :D and so easy to bake!
    Your blog is precious!
    Keep up with the amazing work and photos!

Regards from Portugal!