June 17, 2013

Hello friends and welcome to a new week with me and my columnists here on decor8. I hope you are doing well! I thought I’d kick things off by telling you about the new IKEA Paper Shop that recently launched here in Europe in select stores and if all goes well, the concept may spread to all stores eventually. Kollo put together a range of paper products to include giftbags, giftwrap, paper clips, boxes, notebooks, cards, etc. and they designed the section of the store where these products would be on display with a focus on bright patterns and colors placing the department in the market hall section on the lower level. So far in Britain and Sweden it has gained attention and they’re hoping it will catch on and spread to all IKEA stores. I think the idea is GREAT – definitely. I already see the products on the German IKEA website and in stores over here, so it seems to be catching on. Is it in your country yet, too?

New: IKEA Paper Shop

The products look nice BUT (and I hate to be critical) I really don’t feel a connection like I wish I did – the collections do not feel that cohesive with the exception of the palettes – black/white, green, blue and pink. I’m not keen on Victorian motifs sprinkled throughout each collection because they don’t feel fresh to me, but I do think that over time that this collection has enormous potential to evolve and become something great. I have an entire concept that I think would work for IKEA so if anyone wants to hire me I can tell you exactly what would set this paper shop on fire (in a good way!) :) But for IKEA this is a great start and I’m happy to learn about this! I do love the effort, the possibilies and of course some of the products like the boxes, tapes and giftwrap I would definitely buy now. In fact, I’ve cut and pasted my favorite products below for you to see.

New: IKEA Paper Shop

I like some of the SÄRSKILD stuff,  HISTORISK number tags and these tags too, and I really like the cute DATERAD patterns – especially their bags. The VÄLBEKANT note blocks are cute too! I think my favorite collection though is the FRAMSTÄLLA series. It really speaks to me with the dots and stripes! I adore these boxes, I could really use them!

What do you think of this concept and these products? Do you like it? Do you like the products?

(images: mobilia artica, maedchenwahn and Inter IKEA Systems B.V. 2013 and Kollo)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Susana June 17, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I want this in Lisbon Ikea stores!!! Pleaseee!!

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro June 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I agree that the collection seems to a bit like any other paper/stationery collection. But I can also see some really good products. Due to ikea’s prices I think this can be very “dangerous” ;) And I live only 15 minutes by bus from ikea …
    // Emelie

• Reply Kay Tee June 17, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I am not surprised that IKEA has ventured into paper crafting … so many artists use their items to paint, alter, etc … it’s a natural progression for them. For me, I don’t like their colors so far – I am not a bright and/or pastel girl … but like you posted in the article – the concept is nice.

• Reply Sarah - Emerald and May June 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I actually love this idea! I think they’re catching on to the idea that people want to get creative… especially with all of the re workings of Ikea furniture haha!

The green collection… oh be still my beating heart! Hopefully all goes well and they spread the love down here to Australia.

Thanks for the post,

• Reply Joanne Ludlow June 17, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Hi Holly,

I agree with you, I think it is a great idea, especially as IKEA has a strong sustainability policy. It would be nice if IKEA could perhaps have guest designers from around the world, up and coming designers, with a special limited edition design range marketed by IKEA. To promote innovation, creativity and great designers. It could be called the “Say No to Victorian motifs” range!

• Reply Liese | lipstickandsoda June 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm

i like it!

• Reply ~amy~ June 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Looks super fun!

• Reply Helen Morris June 17, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Oh dear I’ll be spending even more time and money at IKEA. I like to take their ‘plainer’ pieces across all products and customise them so I will be looking at the paper pieces with great interest.

• Reply Barbara June 17, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I want all. So fun!

• Reply Isi June 17, 2013 at 1:59 pm

I just went to a IKEA store in Munich because of some furniture. Then i saw all those amazing Paper things in those beautiful Colours. I think it’s phantastic, that IKEA offers us, the Paper Lovers, the opportunity to buy really stylish Stuff for a good price. I’m from Germany, and here you can’t realy find those beautifull things, you have to buy them on the internet or something. Now, I have the IKEA, right next to my door and i can buy all those beautifull stuff. I just Love iT

• Reply Shayla June 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Oh wow awesome!
    Being a stationery designer I love to see a brand as large as ikea recognizing the value of beautiful paper products; I hope it comes to the US soon. :)

• Reply Ria June 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Oh, I like the IKEA range. Not every piece of it, but the washi tapes and the bags could be a nice and cheap alternative to other products. The tags with the numbers could be a funny update to a commode (sorry, loose the right translation for Schublade)!
    Hope it will come soon to Dortmund store! So come on IKEA Karmen, go for it!

• Reply Kelly June 17, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I enjoy Ikea but is this just one more big box retailer small stationery companies will have to compete with? Especially when everything will be super cheap.

• Reply aarti June 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm

The concept is great. Including labels for containers would be a great idea.

• Reply rike June 17, 2013 at 3:16 pm

@Kelly: this was my first thought too … but i hope people out there will still appreciate the special value of stationary products coming from small companies … fingers crossed

• Reply Therese June 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I have always loved Ikea paper and grab the brown/”kraft” paper whenever I see it. Love that they are adding an array of different other products. Hopefully, it will come to the states soon so I can peruse (and purchase) the items!

• Reply La Rimule June 17, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I like it !!!! But never seen…

• Reply Holly June 17, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I love this range! so cute

• Reply Jennifer June 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Great idea! In the past, I have loved their paper products, so I hope they launch in the US soon.

• Reply Anja June 17, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I want all of it, now! especially the notebooks, the tape, the tags and the gift wraps! So pretty in turquoise, black/white and pink!!

• Reply samantha hahn June 17, 2013 at 7:06 pm

so cool. Wish they’d hit me up but probably only use European artists.

• Reply Jordana @WhiteCabana June 17, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Oh I sure hope this comes to Canada soooooooon!!!

• Reply Eva Leek June 17, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Hey, I was wondering if i could put your pictures at WeHeartit, Because they are reaaally adorable :D

• Reply Jo June 17, 2013 at 8:26 pm

IKEA knows how to market their products, so it looks like paper is the next venture for them. It’s sure to be a winner!

• Reply mm June 17, 2013 at 8:32 pm

We haven’t got it in Spain yet but I absolutly love the idea! I think they are going to take longer in my country since the DIY trend just arrived. But I’m really looking forward to it!

• Reply Eloise@Rustic White June 17, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Looks like there is so much fun to be had here! Very excited at the thought of it. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply eskimo*rose June 17, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Oooooooh – looks very nice indeed, must find an excuse to go … shouldn’t be too hard, it’s one of my husbands fave shops as he gets to eat meatballs!

• Reply heide June 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

I like the look of some things, but I agree that nothing strikes me as really special. I wonder what the quality is like? I habe been dissapointed by the Ikea wrapping paper in the past. The shiny papers lost the shine once you fold it, the surface sort or “tore open”. That was a real nuicance, since gift paper alsways is folded at some ange…

Generally I have avoided Ikea in the last 5 years, because I do not agree with their ethics. They pretend to be environmentally aware and social, but if you read articles on the company, you learn the truth.

• Reply Gema June 18, 2013 at 10:28 am

I would love it to come soon to Spain

• Reply stellarglobal June 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm

This is the first time i am reading your post and admire that you posted article which gives users lot of information regarding online furniture shopping.thanks for this share…. furniture Stores

• Reply stellarglobal June 18, 2013 at 1:49 pm

• Reply JayNine June 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Many thanks for this share! Always a good read when I find time to visit your space. Let’s send an invite to IKEA Paper Shops, for a store here in Canada!! (Ontario specifically) LOL.
    I had no idea about this and I am excited to keep looking around on line for more information. Pinned a whole bunch of your photos; thank you for all the inspiration J9;)

• Reply SMID June 20, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Oh FUN and so playful. Thanks.

• Reply Rebeca June 21, 2013 at 3:39 am

I love the notebooks and stationary sets. I love to journal and sketch so I might pick up a few of those when I visit the store.

• Reply Chantal {luxxury livving} June 21, 2013 at 6:32 am

Wow, it’s a really nice collection! I hope it comes out my way.

• Reply diana June 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

i agree Holly. A good idea, and with a lot of potential, but not really there yet. But I am spoiled with shops like Nellypap and Carta Pura right around the corner from where i live. That’s just another category, i know…but the small stores online and offline often have such beautiful stuff, that I happily save up some money…

• Reply anita June 22, 2013 at 11:12 pm

wooow so colourful and bright!!

• Reply vgrafik June 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Very nice, I love stationery and ikea design on paper is amazing

• Reply jhamane chan June 27, 2013 at 9:17 am

Ikea’s concept in putting creative paper products into sections; where these product are display in patterns and colors in which the store does not only sells beautiful designs of paper products but giving the customer a “catch in the eye”(making consumers not just want to buy their product but want to buy the whole store); making it comfortable and unique than other stores.

• Reply lian June 30, 2013 at 4:43 am

your thoughts on the product line is spot on. i agree completely. i wish ikea would just hire you already! :D or maybe not, because i’d become one poor lady if that were the case ;)

• Reply Maria July 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Oh pleeeeease come to Denmark!!!!!! :D

• Reply Caryn S. (Scrapnsing) July 26, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I tend to agree with your assessment. I live in the States and IKEA innovations tend to make it here rather late, so when I saw your title I thought I would be anxious for it to finally cross the Big Water, but no…I think I might be able to live without it for now. Maybe after it goes through trials in Europe and is tweaked, it may turn into something I’d be more interested in, but for now I find other paper outlets much more intriguing.

I agree with Heide as well, the quality is also a question. I too have had not so favorable experiences with IKEA’s past paper products.