New: IKEA Paper Shop

Hello friends and welcome to a new week with me and my columnists here on decor8. I hope you are doing well! I thought I’d kick things off by telling you about the new IKEA Paper Shop that recently launched here in Europe in select stores and if all goes well, the concept may spread to all stores eventually. Kollo put together a range of paper products to include giftbags, giftwrap, paper clips, boxes, notebooks, cards, etc. and they designed the section of the store where these products would be on display with a focus on bright patterns and colors placing the department in the market hall section on the lower level. So far in Britain and Sweden it has gained attention and they’re hoping it will catch on and spread to all IKEA stores. I think the idea is GREAT – definitely. I already see the products on the German IKEA website and in stores over here, so it seems to be catching on. Is it in your country yet, too?

New: IKEA Paper Shop

The products look nice BUT (and I hate to be critical) I really don’t feel a connection like I wish I did – the collections do not feel that cohesive with the exception of the palettes – black/white, green, blue and pink. I’m not keen on Victorian motifs sprinkled throughout each collection because they don’t feel fresh to me, but I do think that over time that this collection has enormous potential to evolve and become something great. I have an entire concept that I think would work for IKEA so if anyone wants to hire me I can tell you exactly what would set this paper shop on fire (in a good way!) :) But for IKEA this is a great start and I’m happy to learn about this! I do love the effort, the possibilies and of course some of the products like the boxes, tapes and giftwrap I would definitely buy now. In fact, I’ve cut and pasted my favorite products below for you to see.

New: IKEA Paper Shop

I like some of the SÄRSKILD stuff,  HISTORISK number tags and these tags too, and I really like the cute DATERAD patterns – especially their bags. The VÄLBEKANT note blocks are cute too! I think my favorite collection though is the FRAMSTÄLLA series. It really speaks to me with the dots and stripes! I adore these boxes, I could really use them!

What do you think of this concept and these products? Do you like it? Do you like the products?

(images: mobilia artica, maedchenwahn and Inter IKEA Systems B.V. 2013 and Kollo)

Posted by decor8 in stationery on June 17, 2013

1. Susana commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:10pm

I want this in Lisbon Ikea stores!!! Pleaseee!!

2. Emelie @florainspiro commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:19pm

I agree that the collection seems to a bit like any other paper/stationery collection. But I can also see some really good products. Due to ikea’s prices I think this can be very “dangerous” ;) And I live only 15 minutes by bus from ikea …
    // Emelie

3. Kay Tee commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:22pm

I am not surprised that IKEA has ventured into paper crafting … so many artists use their items to paint, alter, etc … it’s a natural progression for them. For me, I don’t like their colors so far – I am not a bright and/or pastel girl … but like you posted in the article – the concept is nice.
    Kay Tee´s last blog post ..What’s On My Paint Table

4. Sarah - Emerald and May commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:28pm

I actually love this idea! I think they’re catching on to the idea that people want to get creative… especially with all of the re workings of Ikea furniture haha!

The green collection… oh be still my beating heart! Hopefully all goes well and they spread the love down here to Australia.

Thanks for the post,
    Sarah
    Sarah – Emerald and May´s last blog post ..Angus & Celeste: Hanging Gardens

5. Joanne Ludlow commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:35pm

Hi Holly,

I agree with you, I think it is a great idea, especially as IKEA has a strong sustainability policy. It would be nice if IKEA could perhaps have guest designers from around the world, up and coming designers, with a special limited edition design range marketed by IKEA. To promote innovation, creativity and great designers. It could be called the “Say No to Victorian motifs” range!

6. Liese | lipstickandsoda commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:40pm

i like it!
    Liese | lipstickandsoda´s last blog post ..extract.

7. ~amy~ commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:45pm

Looks super fun!

8. Helen Morris commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:51pm

Oh dear I’ll be spending even more time and money at IKEA. I like to take their ‘plainer’ pieces across all products and customise them so I will be looking at the paper pieces with great interest.

9. Barbara commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:53pm

I want all. So fun!
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Strawberry cheese bites

10. Isi commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 1:59pm

I just went to a IKEA store in Munich because of some furniture. Then i saw all those amazing Paper things in those beautiful Colours. I think it’s phantastic, that IKEA offers us, the Paper Lovers, the opportunity to buy really stylish Stuff for a good price. I’m from Germany, and here you can’t realy find those beautifull things, you have to buy them on the internet or something. Now, I have the IKEA, right next to my door and i can buy all those beautifull stuff. I just Love iT

11. Shayla commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 2:25pm

Oh wow awesome!
    Being a stationery designer I love to see a brand as large as ikea recognizing the value of beautiful paper products; I hope it comes to the US soon. :)

12. Ria commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 2:39pm

Oh, I like the IKEA range. Not every piece of it, but the washi tapes and the bags could be a nice and cheap alternative to other products. The tags with the numbers could be a funny update to a commode (sorry, loose the right translation for Schublade)!
    Hope it will come soon to Dortmund store! So come on IKEA Karmen, go for it!
    Ria´s last blog post ..Visual Shopping Tour – Inspirationen für schönes Wohnen direkt am Vreithof

13. Kelly commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 2:47pm

I enjoy Ikea but is this just one more big box retailer small stationery companies will have to compete with? Especially when everything will be super cheap.

14. aarti commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 2:58pm

The concept is great. Including labels for containers would be a great idea.

15. rike commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 3:16pm

@Kelly: this was my first thought too … but i hope people out there will still appreciate the special value of stationary products coming from small companies … fingers crossed

16. Therese commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 3:18pm

I have always loved Ikea paper and grab the brown/”kraft” paper whenever I see it. Love that they are adding an array of different other products. Hopefully, it will come to the states soon so I can peruse (and purchase) the items!

17. La Rimule commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 6:39pm

I like it !!!! But never seen…

18. Holly commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 6:42pm

I love this range! so cute
    Holly´s last blog post ..bloglovin

19. Jennifer commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 6:45pm

Great idea! In the past, I have loved their paper products, so I hope they launch in the US soon.
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..Guest Post Round-Up

20. Anja commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 6:50pm

I want all of it, now! especially the notebooks, the tape, the tags and the gift wraps! So pretty in turquoise, black/white and pink!!
    Anja´s last blog post ..High & Low

21. samantha hahn commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 7:06pm

so cool. Wish they’d hit me up but probably only use European artists.
    samantha hahn´s last blog post ..One of my favorite literary heroines

22. Jordana @WhiteCabana commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 8:08pm

Oh I sure hope this comes to Canada soooooooon!!!

23. Eva Leek commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 8:17pm

Hey, I was wondering if i could put your pictures at WeHeartit, Because they are reaaally adorable :D

24. Jo commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 8:26pm

IKEA knows how to market their products, so it looks like paper is the next venture for them. It’s sure to be a winner!

25. mm commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 8:32pm

We haven’t got it in Spain yet but I absolutly love the idea! I think they are going to take longer in my country since the DIY trend just arrived. But I’m really looking forward to it!

26. Eloise@Rustic White commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 9:37pm

Looks like there is so much fun to be had here! Very excited at the thought of it. Thanks for sharing!

27. eskimo*rose commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 10:26pm

Oooooooh – looks very nice indeed, must find an excuse to go … shouldn’t be too hard, it’s one of my husbands fave shops as he gets to eat meatballs!
    eskimo*rose´s last blog post ..weekend fun … at cockpit arts

28. heide commented
    June 17th, 2013 at 11:10pm

I like the look of some things, but I agree that nothing strikes me as really special. I wonder what the quality is like? I habe been dissapointed by the Ikea wrapping paper in the past. The shiny papers lost the shine once you fold it, the surface sort or “tore open”. That was a real nuicance, since gift paper alsways is folded at some ange…

Generally I have avoided Ikea in the last 5 years, because I do not agree with their ethics. They pretend to be environmentally aware and social, but if you read articles on the company, you learn the truth.

29. Gema commented
    June 18th, 2013 at 10:28am

Awesome!!
    I would love it to come soon to Spain

30. stellarglobal commented
    June 18th, 2013 at 1:48pm

This is the first time i am reading your post and admire that you posted article which gives users lot of information regarding online furniture shopping.thanks for this share…. furniture Stores

31. stellarglobal commented
    June 18th, 2013 at 1:49pm

32. JayNine commented
    June 18th, 2013 at 7:06pm

Many thanks for this share! Always a good read when I find time to visit your space. Let’s send an invite to IKEA Paper Shops, for a store here in Canada!! (Ontario specifically) LOL.
    I had no idea about this and I am excited to keep looking around on line for more information. Pinned a whole bunch of your photos; thank you for all the inspiration J9;)
    JayNine´s last blog post ..design latest:  the Origami Clock

33. SMID commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 7:07pm

Oh FUN and so playful. Thanks.

34. Rebeca commented
    June 21st, 2013 at 3:39am

I love the notebooks and stationary sets. I love to journal and sketch so I might pick up a few of those when I visit the store.

35. Chantal {luxxury livving} commented
    June 21st, 2013 at 6:32am

Wow, it’s a really nice collection! I hope it comes out my way.

36. diana commented
    June 21st, 2013 at 9:37am

i agree Holly. A good idea, and with a lot of potential, but not really there yet. But I am spoiled with shops like Nellypap and Carta Pura right around the corner from where i live. That’s just another category, i know…but the small stores online and offline often have such beautiful stuff, that I happily save up some money…

37. anita commented
    June 22nd, 2013 at 11:12pm

wooow so colourful and bright!!

38. vgrafik commented
    June 26th, 2013 at 12:51pm

Very nice, I love stationery and ikea design on paper is amazing
    vgrafik´s last blog post ..eLai

39. jhamane chan commented
    June 27th, 2013 at 9:17am

Ikea’s concept in putting creative paper products into sections; where these product are display in patterns and colors in which the store does not only sells beautiful designs of paper products but giving the customer a “catch in the eye”(making consumers not just want to buy their product but want to buy the whole store); making it comfortable and unique than other stores.

40. lian commented
    June 30th, 2013 at 4:43am

your thoughts on the product line is spot on. i agree completely. i wish ikea would just hire you already! :D or maybe not, because i’d become one poor lady if that were the case ;)

41. Maria commented
    July 16th, 2013 at 5:52pm

Oh pleeeeease come to Denmark!!!!!! :D

42. Caryn S. (Scrapnsing) commented
    July 26th, 2013 at 7:36pm

I tend to agree with your assessment. I live in the States and IKEA innovations tend to make it here rather late, so when I saw your title I thought I would be anxious for it to finally cross the Big Water, but no…I think I might be able to live without it for now. Maybe after it goes through trials in Europe and is tweaked, it may turn into something I’d be more interested in, but for now I find other paper outlets much more intriguing.

I agree with Heide as well, the quality is also a question. I too have had not so favorable experiences with IKEA’s past paper products.