DIY

DIY: Paper Patchwork Art

June 18, 2013

Hello, it’s Lisa here and I’m happy to be back this month on decor8 with my Make Me column to share another simple and stylish craft project with you. It’s always lovely to change things up at home and adding colour with new artwork is a great – although not always affordable – way to do that. With this in mind I’ve created a paper patchwork as an inexpensive and fun way to inject some lovely fresh summery colour into your space. Ready? Good!

DIY: Paper Patchwork Art

You’ll need:
* Coloured paper- Origami paper and gift wrapping paper are ideal. You could also use images from magazines or thrifted books
* Good quality white heavy weight paper measuring 16 x 19 inches
* A craft knife and cutting mat
* A pencil
* Glue

DIY: Paper Patchwork Art

Step 1: Cut the coloured paper
Cut the paper into 3 inch squares. You’ll need 10 squares to make the artwork, but cut more than you need and you’ll be able to play around with the placement of colours and patterns to get your design right. Now cut the squares diagonally to make triangles.

DIY: Paper Patchwork Art

Step 2: Design your art
Lay the triangles out on a separate piece of white and move them around until you are happy with the design. It’s easier to design your art and get a good idea of the finished piece if you do it on a white surface. You can lay the colours out in a pattern, or make the placement random like I have.
NOTE: Take a photo of your design for reference when you are happy with it, in case it’s disturbed by a breeze, your child or cat!

DIY: Paper Patchwork Art

Step 3: Assemble the art
Rule a pencil line 6 inches down from the top of the white paper. Start the line 4.5 inches in from the left hand edge and finish it 2.75 inches in from the right. The pencil line indicates the top of the second row of triangles. Begin by gluing on the second triangle in the second row. The left hand point will align with the beginning of the pencil line. Make sure to add glue to all points of the triangles and smooth them down so they adhere. Then add the rest of row two, being careful to align the edges accurately.Now add all the rows underneath, and finally the top row of triangles.

DIY: Paper Patchwork Art

Step 4: Admire your creation and hang it up!
Admire your creation, what do you think? Next, hang it! I love the look of art hung with washi tape, and thrifted frames can look fabulous sprayed white, even without glass.

DIY: Paper Patchwork Art

Have fun creating your own art piece – whenever I make a new artwork I enjoy moving my things around and finding which of my vases and homewares coordinate with it to make a fresh new space in my home. I’ll look forward to returning next month with another fun and achievable craft project. In the meantime take some time out of your week to get creative! – Lisa xo

(images/text: Lisa Tilse)

You Might Also Like

17 Comments

• Reply Lucia Albertine June 18, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Very creative and it is a good idea. :)

• Reply Katja/ Neovia house June 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Looks really great :). Love the composition, the colors, and the sharp graphic look meeting soft and cute in the patterns!

• Reply Glenda Childers June 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Quilting with paper … brilliant and quick.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Danielle Roeleveld June 18, 2013 at 1:48 pm

What a lovely idea! I might do something similar with tea sachets.

• Reply Tina Ramchandani June 18, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Love this DIY. So easy that even I can do it ;) From afar it doesn’t look like a DIY either. Very clever!

• Reply kristy June 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

This is so fun! I think I am going to have to make one of these for my home office with all the old scrapbooking paper I have lying around.

• Reply Priyanjana June 18, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Hey this really is a cute idea!! Just today I found a whole box of scrap papers ideal for this.
    Doing this !!
    you know you can give this a try with cute fabric pieces and frame it !!

• Reply Daniela June 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Looks absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors and the mix of prints. Lovely idea, thank you Lisa!

• Reply Marjory June 19, 2013 at 2:46 am

Great crafty way to make geometric art!

• Reply Kate June 19, 2013 at 9:30 pm

So cute! and so simple. I love this idea. I love the two dark triangles together at the bottom right. That makes it!

• Reply Gretchen June 20, 2013 at 12:27 am

Love this idea. Thanks so much for sharing. It will be a great art project to do with my kids :)

• Reply Sarah - Emerald and May June 20, 2013 at 1:40 am

This is a great simple little artwork. Love the colours! Definitely need a little visit to my paper shop after seeing this. Thanks for posting!

• Reply Sarah June 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm

This is fantastic. Easy and beautiful! I think I’m going to make this today…

• Reply Sarah June 20, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Easy and beautiful! I think I’m going to make this today… I love working with paper…

• Reply Erica @ Craftivity Designs June 21, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Love the colors you chose!! Looks great! I featured you today on my Kick-Off Friday post. Have a wonderful weekend!

• Reply la presque normale June 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I love that !

• Reply Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating July 6, 2013 at 4:31 am

Funny! Several months ago I had the same idea, of cutting out triangles to make a pattern just like yours. I was going to cover an unsightly side table with them. I cut out the colors I wanted from magazine pages. I didn’t like how it was looking so I gave up on the project at the time. It was looking too quilted for my tastes. Maybe if I used more white to break up all the color, I would like it better.

Thanks for bringing that project back to mind … I think I’ll give it another go!