Easy DIY: Lined Wicker Summer Market Tote

Hi there decor8 readers! My name is Holly Marder and I’m an Australian writer, interior design journalist and stylist based in the Netherlands, and I document all things style, interiors and lifestyle on my blog Avenue. I am so pleased to be sharing this quick little DIY project that is beyond easy! My good friend recently gave me a cute little book for my birthday called Home Made Vintage by Christina Strutt, the lady behind Cabbages & Roses. It’s all about creating a cosy home with homemade lovelies from cushion covers and lamp shades, to well…basket linings! After picking up an inexpensive woven tote from my local Dille & Kamille (they do the most gorgeous, simple kitchen and lifestyle wares), I though it was high time I whipped out the book and got cracking on one of the easy projects! Would you like to see what I’ve done so perhaps you can try this too?

Easy DIY: Lined Wicker Market Tote

You will need:
Cotton fabric
Wicker tote; I chose this one
Paper for making patterns
Pencil
Scissors
Sewing machine
Needle and thread
Tape measure
Pins

Easy DIY: Lined Wicker Market Tote

How To: Measure the depth and circumference of your basket and make a paper pattern, adding 5/8 in. (1.5cm) all around for seams and hems. Make an oval shaped paper pattern for the base of the basket in the same way. Lay your patterns on the fabric and cut out the correct number of pieces. You may need to join several pieces to get a piece large enough to fit around the circumference; if so, remember to allow for extra seams. I divided the circumference of the basket opening by four to end up with four pattern pieces.

Join the fabric pieces, right sides together, for the sides of the basket into a ring, taking in 5/8 in. (1.5cm) seams. Press seams open. With right sides facing, pin the base piece to the lower edge of the ring, snipping into the seam turnings on the lower edge of the ring to help fit around the curved edge. Stitch the pieces together, taking a 5/8 in. (1.5cm) seam.

Fold over and press a 1 in. (2.5cm) hem to the wrong side along the top raw edge of your lining.

Insert the lining into the basket and pin the top edge in place. Hand stitch the lining to the basket along the top pressed edge using a running stitch. Bear in mind that the color thread you choose to use will show through on the outside of the basket, so go for something neutral.

Easy DIY: Lined Wicker Market Tote

Hope this all made sense and it has inspired you to give this little project a try. I love the look of the tote now, and the best thing is when the bag starts to wear out (because trust me, I haven’t left the house without it), I won’t run the risk of losing things that might disappear through the tiny holes at the bottom of the bag. The lining also just throws in a little bit of personality and color, and I personally love the combination of the leather, wicker and fabric. While I love the graphic print and simplicity of this fabric, a delicate floral would also make a lovely fabric choice, as well as an earthy linen. But the best part has to be that it can be easily removed and inserted into a new bag when this one finally gives in. It doesn’t get much simpler than that!

Good luck trying this out yourself! Thanks so much, Holly, for having me on decor8 while you’re off shooting and styling for your next book! Have a great day everyone – Holly Marder

(images/text: holly marder)

Posted by decor8 in diy on June 20, 2013

1. Rincy K commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 10:57am

Holly– I love this! I have a little wicker tote and actually was just thinking I needed to do something to make it a bit more individual…perfect timing! :)

Sending lots of love to both Holly’s xx
    Rincy K´s last blog post ..Luca Mazza | A Pacino’s + Yelp Event

2. Maike - MoodKids commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 11:00am

best idea ever for a simple market tote love it!
    Maike – MoodKids´s last blog post ..Houten vloer met sjabloon voor de kinderkamer

3. BohèmeCircus commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 1:29pm

I love when it’s the little details that give style to an everyday object, the basket is beautiful with this pretty geometric pattern. I love when the originality is in behind the scenes, like the lining of a jacket. Thank you for this project that makes us want to sew few fabrics !
    BohèmeCircus´s last blog post ..Tags confettis – DIY

4. cecile commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 2:15pm

I love it !
    bravo !
    cécile.

5. Gudy Herder commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 2:54pm

Such a nice idea, Holly!
    Nothing better than having a customized bag!
    I’ll give it a try with some beautiful fabric I just bought and my beach bag I have been using for years now ( can’t help but taking it out again and again every summer). xoxo
    Gudy Herder´s last blog post ..An impeccable two-story Stockholm apartment

6. Afsaneh Tajvidi commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 7:04pm

That’s a wonderful DIY project. I would love to try it :o)
    Afsaneh Tajvidi´s last blog post ..Nursery art . W is for Whale

7. Nicole commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 7:05pm

Looks like something I could get from Banana Republic…

I LOVE it!

Nicole
    Nicole´s last blog post ..This Weeks Lust Have: A Brown Leather Couch

8. ANETTESHUS.COM commented
    June 20th, 2013 at 7:17pm

LOVELY!
    ANETTESHUS.COM´s last blog post ..SOMMERKVELDER

9. Kate commented
    June 21st, 2013 at 2:08am

Super cute and super simple. I love it.
    Kate´s last blog post ..For Wine

10. Sarah - Emerald and May commented
    June 21st, 2013 at 2:31am

Cute. Wishing it was a little more summery down under so I could use this DIY!
    Sarah – Emerald and May´s last blog post ..Easy Chicken and Vegetable Soup

11. Tereza commented
    June 21st, 2013 at 5:10am

very pretty!
    Tereza´s last blog post ..Strawberry Fields

12. Claudia commented
    June 23rd, 2013 at 6:56am

Hi Holly, Lovely post you wrote for Decor8! I want to congratulate you with this. It must be so awesome to have the honor to write on Decor8 and for Holly Becker! Love following Avenue as well :-)
    xx Claudia from DesignClaud

13. Holly {Avenue} commented
    June 24th, 2013 at 9:25am

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments and feedback! Holly M x
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Inside Scoop: Eclectic Modern Apartment

14. Trisha of @patriciastreete commented
    June 24th, 2013 at 11:34pm

Great DIY! It’s important for people to know they can breath new life into thing and DIY projects are more than just making things from scratch.
    Trisha of @patriciastreete´s last blog post ..Get Ready for the 4th of July in Style

15. Katherine commented
    July 9th, 2013 at 6:28pm

Where is the chair from?? I love it!

16. Holly {Avenue} commented
    October 8th, 2013 at 11:03pm

@Katherine The chair is just an Ikea one, the SIGURD.
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Inside Scoop: Fresh and Feminine Home Tour for 91 Magazine