Color Inspiration

July 4, 2013

Hello everyone, how is your summer so far? Today is the Fourth of July – Independence Day! And though I live in Germany now, I can’t help but to think about all of my friends and family who are in Boston today for the big 4th celebration that we all loved to visit each year. If you are American, how are you celebrating the 4th? I’m simply taking the day off to relax and get caught up on some reading, tend to my flowers, and enjoy the sunshine on my balcony. Simplicity is what I’m all about lately. Keeping stress levels low and happy levels high. :) Speaking of lowering your stress level, isn’t this palette simply gorgeous? I love these pale, chalky pastel tones because they have a hint of gray in them, which brings down their sweetness and makes them a bit more grown up. Throw in metallics like copper or gold, and deeper tones of orange (like pumpkin) or add some emerald green, and you can make pastels sophisticated and even a bit edgy.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Chalky pastel wall paints from Better Homes & Gardens, April 2012 via serrvartisans.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

You can find the links to each number shown in this image here on the gorgeous blog, Veda House.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Beautiful city views of Poznan, Poland on 79ideas.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

A new cafe in London located at 60 New Kings Road called Hally’s designed by Alexander Waterworth Interiors with chalky pastel-tones chairs seen on Petite Passport.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Another gorgeous view of those chairs…

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Yummy bento boxes from Design Love Fest designed by Urban Palette.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Gorgeous ice cream scoops as seen in Kinfolk magazine.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Blackberry and sage spritzers from Joylicious.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Eucalyptus leaves by Karina Manarin.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

VTWonen always has nice pastels and chalky accents in their rooms. The addition of copper is perfect!

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Flowers and pastels from Laura Ashley with styling by Emily Blunden. I love the pop of red!

Loving: Chalky Pastels

What do you think, can you get behind this color palette?

(images linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

37 Comments

• Reply clara July 4, 2013 at 11:15 am

Oh wowie.. what a greatcollection of pastels…. I’m so in a pastel mood and totally in love with the pictures!!
    What a great icecreme!!! Love it!!
    Yours Clara

• Reply Pali July 4, 2013 at 11:16 am

The magazine should be: “Better Homes and Garden”, april 2012
    As you can see here: http://www.homejelly.com/diy-design-chalky-pastels-have-grown-up-appeal/
    :-)

• Reply decor8 July 4, 2013 at 11:24 am

@Pali – Thank you! I just updated it. :)

• Reply FrauSchmitt July 4, 2013 at 11:27 am

Happy independence day! This color palette is gorgious. You’re a star at putting together nice collections of beautiful pictures.

• Reply Emelie @florainspiro July 4, 2013 at 11:30 am

Love the colours! And thanks for the tips about the cafe in London! I’m going to London in August & I’m planning to pay Kings Rd a visit so I will definitely pop in to that cafe sa well! ;) // Emelie

• Reply Vanessa July 4, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Adore these colours! I just purchased “Pretty Pastel Style” by Selina Lake and it has some similar inspiration. it’s so fresh and light. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Sarah July 4, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I love love love those subtel pastel colours! I really need to get some chalk painting for my boring dining table!

Sarah

• Reply Vera July 4, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Simply gorgeous. As you said, a greyish undertone is essential… I painted our walls (raufaser though, sigh) in some chalky tones of mint and lavender. As the store-bought colours weren’t greyish enough for me, I simply mixed my own colour for the bedroom. Thank you for the inspiration, Holly!

• Reply Erika July 4, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Amazing pastels! I could definitely imagine a garden set fashioned in these colors, paired with beautiful grayish old wood…

• Reply Marjory July 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Gorgeous palette with the grey and lovely examples of elegant grown up and yet playful examples. Love the eucalyptus leaves for inspiration from nature. Thanks for this lovely collection & happy 4th of July!

• Reply Margot July 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I’m feeling the love for these subtle shades too! It’s a total departure from my usual vibrant folk art color palette, but it feels so serene and pretty and fresh. Great post!

Cheers,
    Madge

• Reply Coco July 4, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Wow I loooove the colours :)
    They are so classy!!!
    And it’s a great selection of pictures… they are so nice :)

• Reply Inge July 4, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Totally! I adore the chalky and pastel hues, they’re perfect to use in your interior. It brings color but it’s not ‘in your face’. It’s more softer, and I’m feeling more drawn to these colors lately… The eucalyptus leaves and the pastel colored dipped chairs in the café are really gorgeous looking!
    And last but not least, I wish you a very happy 4th of July Holly, I hope you enjoyed yourself today in the sun! :-)
    Hugs, Inge x

• Reply Lisa July 5, 2013 at 2:32 am

Wow that was so inspiring. I do believe its time for me to get painting!
    Thanks

• Reply Justine July 5, 2013 at 2:34 am

The chairs!

• Reply eleni July 5, 2013 at 8:25 am

Really loved colors…!

• Reply Reese July 5, 2013 at 8:37 am

Wow! I can’t get over how beautiful all this pastel looks. Definitely a colour palette to try in the future. I just love the cityscape and the chairs in the dining room! Just inspirational!

• Reply Neary Sar @snipinteriors July 5, 2013 at 8:47 am

Hi Holly!

I love the fact that you brought up pastel colors. New to your site and I am wow by your amazing pic collections. To say I love pastel colors is an understatement. Thank you for this post. Will be back again!

Oh, and happy 4th to you as well! Cheers!

• Reply Kelly Cartwright July 5, 2013 at 9:17 am

Pastel is cool! I would take your tips about this amazing colors. It is really hard to find beautiful pastel combinations and I thankful to read your post.

• Reply Sara July 5, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love them, I can imagine those lovely colors at home

• Reply Amanda @gidders1 July 5, 2013 at 11:33 am

Oh I love chalky pastels, I think my next room makeover is going this way!

• Reply Iwona July 5, 2013 at 11:59 am

I love Poznan! : )

• Reply Matthew July 5, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I’m loving these colours. Those eucalyptus leaves look amazing – thanks for sharing the photos, it’s given me some inspiration!

• Reply Tracy A. July 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm

What wonderful shades!

• Reply Tree Mushroom July 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Oh my! Those are delicious , refreshing shades.

• Reply julia I mintlametta July 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm

love the colours so much! and the selection of what is shown on the pictures is awesome * julia

• Reply Lisa July 6, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Oh, I can totally get behind this color palette. I love soft whispers of color – but they definitely must have a touch of gray or brown to take the sweet edge off. These “non” colors are some of my favorites.

• Reply Harriet July 8, 2013 at 4:00 am

I really enjoyed this post about pastels. Clearly everyone related to your color selection and enjoyed it as much as I did. The colors are so soothing, I can imagine them being used in any room in my house. I am always on the lookout for new color ideas. love your color selections!

• Reply Interior Designer Meerut July 8, 2013 at 7:10 am

decor8 you are a great post designer, you have arranged a beautiful images in this thread with lovely pastels!

Cheers!!
    Aasif Interior Designer Meerut!!

• Reply geraldine July 9, 2013 at 12:33 am

Love the palette of colours you have picked. I’m loving pale lemon and mint this season xx

• Reply All for home and garden July 9, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hi,
    but the icecream looks really the best.
    A pitty that they put it on the floor…

• Reply Mary Lawson July 9, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I love it, especially with the copper. It adds a nice touch to the palate.

• Reply Hanja Selmahereja July 10, 2013 at 8:39 am

Pastelowo , w sam raz na letni czas..

• Reply Mariel July 11, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I’m obsessed by pastels. Love the colors!

• Reply Natalee July 19, 2013 at 2:48 am

I am a bright, bold color person myself, but I think you just opened my mind!

• Reply Red Interior Design Studio December 20, 2014 at 10:54 am

Love the colours!great collection of pastels and beautiful pictures.

• Reply Red Interior Design Studio December 20, 2014 at 10:55 am

Love the colours! great collection of pastels and beautiful pictures.