Loving: Chalky Pastels

Hello everyone, how is your summer so far? Today is the Fourth of July – Independence Day! And though I live in Germany now, I can’t help but to think about all of my friends and family who are in Boston today for the big 4th celebration that we all loved to visit each year. If you are American, how are you celebrating the 4th? I’m simply taking the day off to relax and get caught up on some reading, tend to my flowers, and enjoy the sunshine on my balcony. Simplicity is what I’m all about lately. Keeping stress levels low and happy levels high. :) Speaking of lowering your stress level, isn’t this palette simply gorgeous? I love these pale, chalky pastel tones because they have a hint of gray in them, which brings down their sweetness and makes them a bit more grown up. Throw in metallics like copper or gold, and deeper tones of orange (like pumpkin) or add some emerald green, and you can make pastels sophisticated and even a bit edgy.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Chalky pastel wall paints from Better Homes & Gardens, April 2012 via serrvartisans.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

You can find the links to each number shown in this image here on the gorgeous blog, Veda House.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Beautiful city views of Poznan, Poland on 79ideas.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

A new cafe in London located at 60 New Kings Road called Hally’s designed by Alexander Waterworth Interiors with chalky pastel-tones chairs seen on Petite Passport.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Another gorgeous view of those chairs…

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Yummy bento boxes from Design Love Fest designed by Urban Palette.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Gorgeous ice cream scoops as seen in Kinfolk magazine.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Blackberry and sage spritzers from Joylicious.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Eucalyptus leaves by Karina Manarin.

Loving: Chalky Pastels

VTWonen always has nice pastels and chalky accents in their rooms. The addition of copper is perfect!

Loving: Chalky Pastels

Flowers and pastels from Laura Ashley with styling by Emily Blunden. I love the pop of red!

Chalky Pastels Moodboard

What do you think, can you get behind this color palette?

(images linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration on July 04, 2013

1. clara commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 11:15am

Oh wowie.. what a greatcollection of pastels…. I’m so in a pastel mood and totally in love with the pictures!!
    What a great icecreme!!! Love it!!
    Yours Clara

2. Pali commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 11:16am

The magazine should be: “Better Homes and Garden”, april 2012
    As you can see here: http://www.homejelly.com/diy-design-chalky-pastels-have-grown-up-appeal/
    :-)

3. decor8 commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 11:24am

@Pali – Thank you! I just updated it. :)

4. FrauSchmitt commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 11:27am

Happy independence day! This color palette is gorgious. You’re a star at putting together nice collections of beautiful pictures.
    FrauSchmitt´s last blog post ..Schönes entdecken …

5. Emelie @florainspiro commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 11:30am

Love the colours! And thanks for the tips about the cafe in London! I’m going to London in August & I’m planning to pay Kings Rd a visit so I will definitely pop in to that cafe sa well! ;) // Emelie
    Emelie @florainspiro´s last blog post ..Summer Drink With Elderflower & Wild Strawberries

6. Vanessa commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 12:12pm

Adore these colours! I just purchased “Pretty Pastel Style” by Selina Lake and it has some similar inspiration. it’s so fresh and light. Thanks for sharing!
    Vanessa´s last blog post ..Life Lately: Wedding Nostalgia

7. Sarah commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 12:39pm

I love love love those subtel pastel colours! I really need to get some chalk painting for my boring dining table!

Sarah

8. Vera commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 12:53pm

Simply gorgeous. As you said, a greyish undertone is essential… I painted our walls (raufaser though, sigh) in some chalky tones of mint and lavender. As the store-bought colours weren’t greyish enough for me, I simply mixed my own colour for the bedroom. Thank you for the inspiration, Holly!
    Vera´s last blog post ..New Coffeetable and Wooden Pearls Lamp

9. Erika commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 2:27pm

Amazing pastels! I could definitely imagine a garden set fashioned in these colors, paired with beautiful grayish old wood…

10. Marjory commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 3:13pm

Gorgeous palette with the grey and lovely examples of elegant grown up and yet playful examples. Love the eucalyptus leaves for inspiration from nature. Thanks for this lovely collection & happy 4th of July!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..The sensual spiritual bathroom, a sacred space of flow

11. Margot commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 3:31pm

I’m feeling the love for these subtle shades too! It’s a total departure from my usual vibrant folk art color palette, but it feels so serene and pretty and fresh. Great post!

Cheers,
    Madge
    Margot´s last blog post ..Let Love Rule

12. Coco commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 5:12pm

Wow I loooove the colours :)
    They are so classy!!!
    And it’s a great selection of pictures… they are so nice :)

Coco´s last blog post ..Homestory en détails

13. Inge commented
    July 4th, 2013 at 10:55pm

Totally! I adore the chalky and pastel hues, they’re perfect to use in your interior. It brings color but it’s not ‘in your face’. It’s more softer, and I’m feeling more drawn to these colors lately… The eucalyptus leaves and the pastel colored dipped chairs in the café are really gorgeous looking!
    And last but not least, I wish you a very happy 4th of July Holly, I hope you enjoyed yourself today in the sun! :-)
    Hugs, Inge x
    Inge´s last blog post ..Your Spot is Hot: Fabulous French in the Luberon

14. Lisa commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 2:32am

Wow that was so inspiring. I do believe its time for me to get painting!
    Thanks

15. Justine commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 2:34am

The chairs!

16. eleni commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 8:25am

Really loved colors…!
    eleni´s last blog post ..10 Modern and Relaxing Bedrooms by Haiku Designs!

17. Reese commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 8:37am

Wow! I can’t get over how beautiful all this pastel looks. Definitely a colour palette to try in the future. I just love the cityscape and the chairs in the dining room! Just inspirational!

18. Neary Sar @snipinteriors commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 8:47am

Hi Holly!

I love the fact that you brought up pastel colors. New to your site and I am wow by your amazing pic collections. To say I love pastel colors is an understatement. Thank you for this post. Will be back again!

Oh, and happy 4th to you as well! Cheers!

19. Kelly Cartwright commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 9:17am

Pastel is cool! I would take your tips about this amazing colors. It is really hard to find beautiful pastel combinations and I thankful to read your post.

20. Sara commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 10:48am

I love them, I can imagine those lovely colors at home
    Sara´s last blog post ..¿Quién dijo miedo al blanco?

21. Amanda @gidders1 commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 11:33am

Oh I love chalky pastels, I think my next room makeover is going this way!
    Amanda @gidders1´s last blog post ..Ana Snapshot : Mauve Rose

22. Iwona commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 11:59am

I love Poznan! : )
    Iwona´s last blog post ..How to make of cookies ?

23. Matthew commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 5:39pm

I’m loving these colours. Those eucalyptus leaves look amazing – thanks for sharing the photos, it’s given me some inspiration!

24. Tracy A. commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 6:03pm

What wonderful shades!

25. Tree Mushroom commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 9:19pm

Oh my! Those are delicious , refreshing shades.

Tree Mushroom´s last blog post ..Review: Klorane Mango Butter Leave-in Fluid

26. julia I mintlametta commented
    July 5th, 2013 at 11:24pm

love the colours so much! and the selection of what is shown on the pictures is awesome * julia
    julia I mintlametta´s last blog post ..sommer-sonnen-salat

27. Lisa commented
    July 6th, 2013 at 7:54pm

Oh, I can totally get behind this color palette. I love soft whispers of color – but they definitely must have a touch of gray or brown to take the sweet edge off. These “non” colors are some of my favorites.
    Lisa´s last blog post ..2013 English Garden Workshop

28. Harriet commented
    July 8th, 2013 at 4:00am

I really enjoyed this post about pastels. Clearly everyone related to your color selection and enjoyed it as much as I did. The colors are so soothing, I can imagine them being used in any room in my house. I am always on the lookout for new color ideas. love your color selections!

29. Interior Designer Meerut commented
    July 8th, 2013 at 7:10am

decor8 you are a great post designer, you have arranged a beautiful images in this thread with lovely pastels!

Cheers!!
    Aasif Interior Designer Meerut!!
    Interior Designer Meerut´s last blog post ..What is An Interior Designer or Interior Decorator?

30. geraldine commented
    July 9th, 2013 at 12:33am

Love the palette of colours you have picked. I’m loving pale lemon and mint this season xx
    geraldine´s last blog post ..Carter’s Steam fair July 2013

31. All for home and garden commented
    July 9th, 2013 at 11:24am

Hi,
    but the icecream looks really the best.
    A pitty that they put it on the floor…
    All for home and garden´s last blog post ..The Southport Flower Show 2013

32. Mary Lawson commented
    July 9th, 2013 at 2:02pm

I love it, especially with the copper. It adds a nice touch to the palate.
    Mary Lawson´s last blog post ..Pick Your Month – Galaxy Planner by studiopop

33. Hanja Selmahereja commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 8:39am

Pastelowo , w sam raz na letni czas..
    Hanja Selmahereja´s last blog post ..Fara

34. Mariel commented
    July 11th, 2013 at 3:59pm

I’m obsessed by pastels. Love the colors!

35. Natalee commented
    July 19th, 2013 at 2:48am

I am a bright, bold color person myself, but I think you just opened my mind!
    Natalee´s last blog post ..July is National Picnic Month