Microtrends: Brick and Bread

Hello everyone, it’s Gudy from Eclectic Trends and I’m back with another monthly trend report. I’d like to talk today about a couple of microtrends. Let us first define what a microtrend is. Microtrends (some call these minitrends) are the new and emerging trends that will be found in all lifestyle sectors and may, or may not, convert into macro trends later on. Macro trends are globally relevant with more staying power —  and can have a real impact on consumer thinking and behavior over the next 3-5 years. I have chosen Brick and Bread today in this report since I see certain common characteristics: both are humble, both have existed for a long time, they share a similar color, they are affordable and lead us back to our roots: nature and raw materials. And both are a traditional craft.

BREAD:
Food styling has become quite a big influence now when it comes to trendsetting, and bread is one of its most used ingredients though rarely in a leading role and more typically in a “supporting” role. That’s why Musubi Aoki’s take is so interesting because his focus puts bread front and center. Based in Tokyo, he works as a stylist in advertising and for fashion magazines. His perspective is quite imaginative!

Micro Trends: BRICK and BREAD

Another very nice example of creative expression and food is shown above in Andere Monjo’s ‘Plates for Soulmates’ from the Belgium art gallery Valerie Traan. The artist wanted to redefine bread baking and its traditional craft by producing textiles, table ware and ceramics so these things were made using bread, baked, and served! Imaginative, right?

Micro Trends: BRICK and BREAD

Omar Sosa and Ana Dominguez play with stacked bread as a still life series for Spanish magazine Apartamento. They’ve used a variety of bread types in several forms and colours to create art.

Micro Trends: BRICK and BREAD

The Nicky&Max food blog based out of Berlin, Germany admits to loving to style bread the best, “Bread is one of my favorite things to photograph (up there with salads and pizzas)…it just looks good. Everyone knows bread and it’s easy to conjure up lots of heart warming, comfort and nostalgia feelings when putting bread in a picture. I love its simplicity.” You can see their blog for gorgeous food styling with bread in this recent post.

BRICK:
This age-old building material works in any environment for flooring and wall covering. But if you prefer an easier option, you could always go faux with wallpaper. Here are some examples of brick on walls and floors.

via: Alvhem

Micro Trends: BRICK and BREAD

A home in Germany on the island of Sylt, via April and May.

via: Dorean Chaleunphonh

Micro Trends: BRICK and BREAD

Brick can give a quite industrial look, it underlines a certain country character and works perfectly also in a more urban, industrial environment. Which is your style? Photo above via: Angel Welp.

Micro Trends: BRICK and BREAD

Next, brick is used in a very unconventional way: moody and playful arrangements created for a photo series by Omar Sosa and Ana Dominguez again. One can think of imaginary buildings or quirky robots made by different bricks, all important and fun in their own right.

Micro Trends: BRICK and BREAD

But brick advances in lifestyle design too (as usable products) such as in this fantastic 5 piece desk accessory kit called ‘Adobe’ by Ilaria Innocenti. It has been produced in different clay shades and coloured wire adding a bright and contemporary touch. A trend, to me, becomes most interesting when its material is been used in different lifestyle sectors in a new and unique way. And that’s what makes it so fascinating, right? Concrete and copper were huge last winter hitting the market with many home decor accessories. What will it be this winter? Holly and I would love to hear your thoughts about emerging micro trends. What is your favorite right now and why? – Warmly, Gudy

(text: gudy herder, editing: holly becker, images: linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in Top Trends on July 09, 2013

1. Glenda Childers commented
    July 9th, 2013 at 11:50pm

We live in a vintage brick apartment and my husband just baked a cranberry
    orange bread … who knew we were so trendy. :)

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..Five Things That Inspire Me to Cook … When I Do Not Feel Like Cooking (an introduction)

2. Lena commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 4:18am

I love this post, Gudy! I really hope these microtrends will stay and last because earthy, rustic colors are my thing… the images you found are amazing, especially the ones where brick and bread are styled playfully!
    Lena´s last blog post ..SUMMER DIY: UPCYCLED CANVAS SHOES

3. Dominique commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 6:04am

Those bread plates and forks are super fun. I just love it!

4. Kreetta commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 10:52am

Great report Gudy! I love the brick floors. Bread is beautiful but I don’t eat it so much but surely these pics are tempting and interesting concepts. Thank you for sharing this!
    Kreetta´s last blog post ..This Is My Garden

5. mel commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 11:33am

If the brick is aged with imperfections, I’m there. Brick worn floors are beautiful and remind me of our old apartment in Toulouse – oh how I loved those floors! I’m interested in the brick objects and what will come of it, I haven’t seen it before. As far as other microtrends, Hege in France just wrote about mirrored furniture, a spin off from the Great Gatsby perhaps? Come to think of it, I have seen a bit of an art deco revival… Great post Gudy! Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..My Space – Audrey Fitzjohn of Hello Paper

6. Chris Clemans commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 12:26pm

Especially love the brick floors. Our studio inhabits a wonderful 1896 brick foundry building in downtown Syracuse, NY and many of the original floors are brick. Tx for sharing!

7. Doris commented
    July 10th, 2013 at 12:27pm

I love this article Gudy! Firstly, I am always amazed when stylists can take something as simple as a loaf of bread and turn it into a wonderfully beautiful piece of art and photo. The stylists you have featured are very inspirinng. And secondly, I have had a love affair with bricks in an interior since forever. So thank you for a wonderful post on 2 micro trends that I am highly in favour of. xD
    Doris´s last blog post ..Making pastels modern

8. Abigail @ abigail*ryan commented
    July 12th, 2013 at 1:03pm

Wow, I really love those photographs where the bread has been moulded in to cutlery and clothing. So incredible, and new to me, I haven’t seen those online anywhere… So fresh Gudy!

I also love brick as a trend, and I think, like Holly said in her follow up post, it’s really liveable painted white. I’ve liked exposed brick walls for years now, but seeing them laid as flooring is certainly something new. The herringbone pattern would be incredible in a cottage style kitchen!

Fab post, as always Gudy! Xx

9. Louise - 30s Magazine commented
    July 12th, 2013 at 9:37pm

How interesting Gudy. I have had a white brick wall in my living room for 12 years now so I guess I’m finally on trend :-)
    I love the photos of bread. Like you said, it’s always used as a prop in the background while it’s so universal and so divers. How lovely to see these examples that highlight the beauty of bread.
    I will look out for these trends now that you pointed them out to us. Thanks for sharing
    Louise – 30s Magazine´s last blog post ..Weekend tip: Visit the MoBA Fashion Biennale in Arnhem

10. Gudy Herder commented
    July 15th, 2013 at 1:10am

It’s been a little abstract this time, all the more I really appreciate your comments! Thank you!
    Gudy Herder´s last blog post ..Micro Trend Report for decor8