Period Home Crush

I love English homes! I’ve been thinking a lot lately about homes, particularly period houses, and which ones I love the most. In addition to the American brownstone, 18th century French farmhouse and the German Jugenstil architecture, I’m in love with a variety of English homes, especially Georgian houses. My goodness, they have such charm. And don’t get me started on the cute canal houses built during the 17th century in Amsterdam.

Period Home Crush

Though most English homes make me giddy, here are a few rooms that I love from period homes that you can actually rent for shoots and film productions from Light Locations in London. I love their properties and always suggest this location agency to my friends whenever they search for shoot locations in the UK. Stunning properties – a girl can dream to live like this, right?

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

I look at all of these rooms above and feel so invigorated and loaded with ideas of what I would do if these properties were in my possession. The type of tile I’d choose for the entryway, the tile work in the bathroom, the kitchen I’d install, the window treatments, the wall colors… And that little shed in my backyard, that would be the decor8 studio space for sure where all my little magical dreams would come to life. It’s so fun to imagine! Must be a lot nicer to own, though! And did you notice the differing shades of gray in all of the rooms (except for the first image)? Some of the gray walls were ever-so-slightly obvious and others, very pronounced. I just love the whispering grays. They sit perfectly against crisp white moldings.

Do you dream of period homes too? Which are your favorites? Do you fancy a particular style or?

(images: light locations)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on July 17, 2013

1. FrauSchmitt commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 10:10am

I share your love in architecture and I love your presentation of those gorgious rooms. So beautiful! This rug immediately caught my eye. I need it in my own place!
    FrauSchmitt´s last blog post ..Gartenimpressionen

2. Vânia Trindade commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 10:32am

I adore English homes! In Portugal we have a few because years ago english emigrants came to live here. I made a tryp to England some years ago and I remember to be in love with the buildings and houses.
    Hug*

3. Angela - designhaus no.9 commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 10:33am

Hello, I am very ambivalent, because I love the beautiful old houses as well as the ultra-modern and reduced one. I would need two houses to realize my passion. Dreams!
    Angela – designhaus no.9´s last blog post ..My “anManufaktur” pillows featured in “Landhaus Living” magazine

4. Vânia Trindade commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 10:39am

This house is located next to my modern apartment. I love that house! You can see it’s a mix of styles.

5. Femke Dekker - ter Meulen commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 11:27am

I love the art in the house! x Femke
    Femke Dekker – ter Meulen´s last blog post ..Happy Tuesday!

6. Sandra commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 11:40am

In North America Toronto has the second most Victorian homes after Boston and when I lived there I renovated two of them.

Love the opportunities provided by the floor plans and the large windows and charming architectural details. The perfect juxtaposition of old and modern is possible.

I think it’s why Living Etc. is one of my favorite decor mags.

I want I do another!
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Cherry Balsamic Shrub

7. Cristina commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 1:24pm

I love that shed! My dream is to have one too, as my studio space…one day :)
    Cristina´s last blog post ..Summer cakes in the garden

8. jess commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 2:20pm

Homes like this make me squeal. I stalk the real estate listings, redesigning homes in my mind. Oh, to dream of a fireplace in the bedroom and original wood finishes!

9. Chelsey @ Pure Draft commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 3:15pm

That’s what I do for a living so I dream daily. I just designed an English cottage which will be made of stone and filled to the brim with antiques. Definitely a favourite because they always have so much character. Ps. Love the master wall color!
    Chelsey @ Pure Draft´s last blog post ..All Fired Up!

10. Molly Watson commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 5:59pm

I love the light tat comes into these homes! After living in a darker place in Germany that was limited by natural light, I am anxious to find a place here in California with oodles of natural light to brighten our space. To bad we aren’t likely to find the floor to ceiling glass doors that are so prevalent in Europe. They make a girl want to stand there opening them each day to face the world…
    Molly Watson´s last blog post ..It’s a Project Kind of Friday

11. Jessica Newell commented
    July 17th, 2013 at 9:29pm

The crown molding against the gray walls is absolutely gorgeous – each room is clean an refreshing. I’d love to live in a place like this!
    Jessica Newell´s last blog post ..Etsy Finds: Decorative Pillows

12. Amy Johnson commented
    July 18th, 2013 at 4:58am

Do you know what color paint is on the walls?

13. Jennifer commented
    July 18th, 2013 at 6:31am

these photos are all so beautiful !! I love the homes with that fresh, bright look !

Jennifer´s last blog post ..Heat Wave

14. Cassandra commented
    July 18th, 2013 at 10:17am

The first and last pic is my friend and neighbours house. It’s even lovelier in the ‘flesh’. Ohh – and you should see the outside!

15. decor8 commented
    July 18th, 2013 at 10:52am

@Amy – No but I’m guessing your could print the photos out and look through Farrow & Ball’s website and find the colors. They look like F&B colors.

16. Doreen commented
    July 18th, 2013 at 12:28pm

I love the sense of space and simplicity in Georgian architecture. It is a quality I am always looking to achieve when designing spaces. Whereas the white looks great here, it is difficult to achieve this feeling of space in small rooms. I personally have to use color.
    Doreen´s last blog post ..über mich

17. Mariel commented
    July 18th, 2013 at 6:44pm

Love the light in these rooms!

Mariel´s last blog post ..IT´S SUMMER TIME

18. Edelia commented
    July 19th, 2013 at 1:22am

Those are the colours in my flat, white, grey and wood. I love it. It’s like a big wooden bowl full of milk :)
    Edelia´s last blog post ..#TallerEscrituraBL 2: Aires de libertad

19. toni commented
    July 19th, 2013 at 8:48am

I don’t think I’d ever the house if I lived in that home. So relaxing.

I gravitate towards cottage-type homes and brownstone buildings. Either way they both make me feel I’m coming home. The home I live in doesn’t have either style. Someday, someday.
    toni´s last blog post ..On Martial Arts & Marriage

20. Chi chi Furniture commented
    July 19th, 2013 at 11:51am

English Period homes are stunning, what I love are the huge light and airy rooms with large sash windows and high ceilings. This style of house lends itself so perfectly to beautiful furniture that has character and detail and isn’t just functional. The rooms themselves are full of character before your decorate, often with fireplaces, ceiling roses, cornicing and natural wooden floors. These large rooms allow a little room for creativity when adding decor and furniture. Gorgeous.

21. Marjory commented
    July 21st, 2013 at 2:55am

I love the details, craftsmanship, and overall materiality of period homes. I dream of a Victorian home in San Francisco, so so full of character!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..Through the landscape of home & heart

22. evelyne commented
    July 21st, 2013 at 6:47am

I love the home and the light! Very beautiful and peacely.
    Evelyne from Portugal.

23. geraldine commented
    July 22nd, 2013 at 1:36am

Beautiful photos Holly. I live in a British period victorian house on 4 floors with period features ( original fireplaces and stained glass windows) but with a modern decor. You should come to visit me some time ;) xx
    geraldine´s last blog post ..A day in the Cotswolds and Daylesford Organic farm

24. decor8 commented
    July 22nd, 2013 at 10:52am

@Geraldine – I want to see it and do a home tour on decor8!!! :)

25. staircase commented
    July 22nd, 2013 at 12:06pm

Great pictures! Do you have photos of how the staircase look like? Just curious…
    staircase´s last blog post ..Album | Trappen

26. geraldine tan commented
    July 23rd, 2013 at 1:17am

@decor8: you’ll have to visit Holly. Let me know so that I can super prepare it for decor8. Like clear my son’s lego away from the floors :) xx
    geraldine tan´s last blog post ..A day in the Cotswolds and Daylesford Organic farm

27. Stephanie commented
    July 23rd, 2013 at 9:24pm

I used to love love love ecclectic/traditional, but the more I obsess over decor I think I’m starting to love the whole minimalistic/masculine approach. Too bad I’ve only been in my house is only 2 years old and already having an interior design epiphany, oh well. The home above is simply divine though, kinda sorta like my dream. I love it.

28. Bekka commented
    July 24th, 2013 at 12:42pm

I love this, everything is so simplistic. I think my favourite room is the living / dining area, it looks lovely!
    Bekka´s last blog post ..Toasted Crumpets And Fruit

29. Lucy Chen commented
    July 26th, 2013 at 8:16am

It’s really interesting and inspiring to see how adding a few pieces of art on the wall is making such a huge difference to a previously plain room!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..What Shapiro is Saying about Fame and Art

30. Alexia commented
    August 14th, 2013 at 9:14pm

I love the brown couch with that color of carpet, it is a nice contrast with the white!