Inspiration

Period Home Crush

July 17, 2013

I love English homes! I’ve been thinking a lot lately about homes, particularly period houses, and which ones I love the most. In addition to the American brownstone, 18th century French farmhouse and the German Jugenstil architecture, I’m in love with a variety of English homes, especially Georgian houses. My goodness, they have such charm. And don’t get me started on the cute canal houses built during the 17th century in Amsterdam.

Period Home Crush

Though most English homes make me giddy, here are a few rooms that I love from period homes that you can actually rent for shoots and film productions from Light Locations in London. I love their properties and always suggest this location agency to my friends whenever they search for shoot locations in the UK. Stunning properties – a girl can dream to live like this, right?

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

Period Home Crush

I look at all of these rooms above and feel so invigorated and loaded with ideas of what I would do if these properties were in my possession. The type of tile I’d choose for the entryway, the tile work in the bathroom, the kitchen I’d install, the window treatments, the wall colors… And that little shed in my backyard, that would be the decor8 studio space for sure where all my little magical dreams would come to life. It’s so fun to imagine! Must be a lot nicer to own, though! And did you notice the differing shades of gray in all of the rooms (except for the first image)? Some of the gray walls were ever-so-slightly obvious and others, very pronounced. I just love the whispering grays. They sit perfectly against crisp white moldings.

Do you dream of period homes too? Which are your favorites? Do you fancy a particular style or?

(images: light locations)

You Might Also Like

30 Comments

• Reply FrauSchmitt July 17, 2013 at 10:10 am

I share your love in architecture and I love your presentation of those gorgious rooms. So beautiful! This rug immediately caught my eye. I need it in my own place!

• Reply Vânia Trindade July 17, 2013 at 10:32 am

I adore English homes! In Portugal we have a few because years ago english emigrants came to live here. I made a tryp to England some years ago and I remember to be in love with the buildings and houses.
    Hug*

• Reply Angela - designhaus no.9 July 17, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hello, I am very ambivalent, because I love the beautiful old houses as well as the ultra-modern and reduced one. I would need two houses to realize my passion. Dreams!

• Reply Vânia Trindade July 17, 2013 at 10:39 am

This house is located next to my modern apartment. I love that house! You can see it’s a mix of styles.

• Reply Femke Dekker - ter Meulen July 17, 2013 at 11:27 am

I love the art in the house! x Femke

• Reply Sandra July 17, 2013 at 11:40 am

In North America Toronto has the second most Victorian homes after Boston and when I lived there I renovated two of them.

Love the opportunities provided by the floor plans and the large windows and charming architectural details. The perfect juxtaposition of old and modern is possible.

I think it’s why Living Etc. is one of my favorite decor mags.

I want I do another!

• Reply Cristina July 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I love that shed! My dream is to have one too, as my studio space…one day :)

• Reply jess July 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Homes like this make me squeal. I stalk the real estate listings, redesigning homes in my mind. Oh, to dream of a fireplace in the bedroom and original wood finishes!

• Reply Chelsey @ Pure Draft July 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm

That’s what I do for a living so I dream daily. I just designed an English cottage which will be made of stone and filled to the brim with antiques. Definitely a favourite because they always have so much character. Ps. Love the master wall color!

• Reply Molly Watson July 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I love the light tat comes into these homes! After living in a darker place in Germany that was limited by natural light, I am anxious to find a place here in California with oodles of natural light to brighten our space. To bad we aren’t likely to find the floor to ceiling glass doors that are so prevalent in Europe. They make a girl want to stand there opening them each day to face the world…

• Reply Jessica Newell July 17, 2013 at 9:29 pm

The crown molding against the gray walls is absolutely gorgeous – each room is clean an refreshing. I’d love to live in a place like this!

• Reply Amy Johnson July 18, 2013 at 4:58 am

Do you know what color paint is on the walls?

• Reply decor8 July 18, 2013 at 10:52 am

@Amy – No but I’m guessing your could print the photos out and look through Farrow & Ball’s website and find the colors. They look like F&B colors.

• Reply Jennifer July 18, 2013 at 6:31 am

these photos are all so beautiful !! I love the homes with that fresh, bright look !

• Reply Cassandra July 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

The first and last pic is my friend and neighbours house. It’s even lovelier in the ‘flesh’. Ohh – and you should see the outside!

• Reply Doreen July 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love the sense of space and simplicity in Georgian architecture. It is a quality I am always looking to achieve when designing spaces. Whereas the white looks great here, it is difficult to achieve this feeling of space in small rooms. I personally have to use color.

• Reply Mariel July 18, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Love the light in these rooms!

• Reply Edelia July 19, 2013 at 1:22 am

Those are the colours in my flat, white, grey and wood. I love it. It’s like a big wooden bowl full of milk :)

• Reply toni July 19, 2013 at 8:48 am

I don’t think I’d ever the house if I lived in that home. So relaxing.

I gravitate towards cottage-type homes and brownstone buildings. Either way they both make me feel I’m coming home. The home I live in doesn’t have either style. Someday, someday.

• Reply Chi chi Furniture July 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

English Period homes are stunning, what I love are the huge light and airy rooms with large sash windows and high ceilings. This style of house lends itself so perfectly to beautiful furniture that has character and detail and isn’t just functional. The rooms themselves are full of character before your decorate, often with fireplaces, ceiling roses, cornicing and natural wooden floors. These large rooms allow a little room for creativity when adding decor and furniture. Gorgeous.

• Reply Marjory July 21, 2013 at 2:55 am

I love the details, craftsmanship, and overall materiality of period homes. I dream of a Victorian home in San Francisco, so so full of character!

• Reply evelyne July 21, 2013 at 6:47 am

I love the home and the light! Very beautiful and peacely.
    Evelyne from Portugal.

• Reply geraldine July 22, 2013 at 1:36 am

Beautiful photos Holly. I live in a British period victorian house on 4 floors with period features ( original fireplaces and stained glass windows) but with a modern decor. You should come to visit me some time ;) xx

• Reply decor8 July 22, 2013 at 10:52 am

@Geraldine – I want to see it and do a home tour on decor8!!! :)

• Reply staircase July 22, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Great pictures! Do you have photos of how the staircase look like? Just curious…

• Reply geraldine tan July 23, 2013 at 1:17 am

@decor8: you’ll have to visit Holly. Let me know so that I can super prepare it for decor8. Like clear my son’s lego away from the floors :) xx

• Reply Stephanie July 23, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I used to love love love ecclectic/traditional, but the more I obsess over decor I think I’m starting to love the whole minimalistic/masculine approach. Too bad I’ve only been in my house is only 2 years old and already having an interior design epiphany, oh well. The home above is simply divine though, kinda sorta like my dream. I love it.

• Reply Bekka July 24, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I love this, everything is so simplistic. I think my favourite room is the living / dining area, it looks lovely!

• Reply Lucy Chen July 26, 2013 at 8:16 am

It’s really interesting and inspiring to see how adding a few pieces of art on the wall is making such a huge difference to a previously plain room!

• Reply Alexia August 14, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I love the brown couch with that color of carpet, it is a nice contrast with the white!