Travel

July 30, 2013

Hello sweet decor8 readers, it’s Rincy again with my monthly Simple Times post and I am so excited to be writing to you from my travels here in Hungary. In my column last month, I encouraged you to explore more in your local area. This month, with many taking summer vacation, perhaps you can travel where your friends live and tap into their local expertise. I’ve only been in Hungary for a few days and already I am completely and utterly enchanted with this sweet country because I am with friends who know this region and somehow they make it seem like nothing is off limits! Suddenly statutes and bridges have stories, the hidden nooks and crannies of roads lead to the most beautiful surroundings and when the night lights turn on- it really feels like the most special place in the world. This is a simple pleasure that a travel book cannot provide – locals who happen to be friends that want to share the magic with you. I feel so lucky!

Hungary With The Locals

It may be one of the smallest states in Europe but right now it seems so big and full of inspiration. The land of castles, vineyards, thermal spas and gulyás is every bit as magical as I hoped it to be. I look forward to seeing what each day brings and would love to share it with you soon.

Hungary With The Locals

Have you ever been to Budapest or a place that instantly seemed like a fairy tale to you? Will you be visiting somewhere soon to explore with local friends or family? I’m so curious to know, so please share. A girl can certainly dream.

With lots of love and light, always – Rincy, your little bird (whose wings are just starting to fly!)

(images: rincy koshy)

You Might Also Like

32 Comments

• Reply Marjory July 30, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I hear you! Lovely pictures. One of the most dreamy, surreal, urban places I have visited is Venice. There is something about this city in the water with its canals, gondolas, and golden light that gently touches its luminous architecture. Ahhh

• Reply Gwen July 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm

This looks amazing! We spent our honeymoon in Venice, and it did seem like a fairytale to me. The idea that people actually lived their every day lives there was something hard to fathom. It was just so magical! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Viktoria July 30, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hungary is a beautiful country with the sweetest people. I visit a lot as my mum lives there and I am glad that you are spreading the word about this lovely place. If you are staying in Budapest, check out the Klasz restaurant on Andrassy Ut. It is Hungarian with modern twist. Seasonal delicious food, lovely staff and you will like the decor. http://www.klasszetterem.hu/index.php?action=galeria_img&lang=en&galeria_id=2

• Reply Franca July 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I’ve been to Budapest twice and I’d love to go back. It’s a very fascinating and inspiring city with so much to offer and, even if I was there two times, I feel like I haven’t seen enough of it :)
    Having locals that show you around is a very lucky privilege and it makes a huge difference for sure :)

Have you been to the super cool and arty Szimpla? If not, you should take a look, I loved it :)

• Reply Bekka July 30, 2013 at 8:20 pm

These photos are amazing, it looks like you have had a wonderful time. I’ve never been but I would definitely like to go.

• Reply gosia July 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hungary! Our honey moon destination over a decade ago: Budapest with its parks, food makets, cafes and Bridges. Santandre : artsy, green and cozy. Tokai with its hidden wineyards and biking in the fields…. I could go forever! Highly recommended!

• Reply gosia July 30, 2013 at 8:50 pm

oh! i forgot to mention absolutely fabulous thermals all over the country!

• Reply Kate July 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm

That swimming pool is unreal!

• Reply Mickey@EuroAmerican Home July 30, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Hungary was the first foreign country I visited way back in 2002 I think. I loved Budapest and even though I didn’t get a chance to visit that much, I promised myself I would go back one day.

I was there for a Japanese language standardized test and all the pre-test jitters didn’t really help, but I saw a good bit of the city.

• Reply Doreen July 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Thank you for showing these gorgeous photos of Hungary. You have certainly inspired me to visit this country. I live in Munich, South Germany, which makes it so easy to travel to Hungary.

Best Regards, Doreen

• Reply Rose July 30, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Hi Holly – friends of mind travelled to Hungry about three years ago and I was green with envy, as I am green with envy now. Have pinned it as one of my bucket list things to do. I was tickled pink by my own observation of the couple kissing in the pool. Obviously the water must be very relaxing.

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} July 30, 2013 at 10:28 pm

so gorgeous! i spent a few days in lucerne, switzerland and have never felt more like i was living in a fairy tale. literally too beautiful to fathom!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

• Reply Renovatura July 30, 2013 at 11:46 pm

There are lots of nice places in Budapest and eventhough I live here I am so grateful for the beautiful sights and small details I can enjoy every day.
    I love that all the houses downtown have inside gardens that are kind of the secrects of those people who live there.
    There is a tour called “Secret gardens and squares downtown”. If you would like to have a look beyond Budapest than check it out :)

• Reply Peyton July 30, 2013 at 11:51 pm

LOVE these pictures!!! I wish I could go at some point!

xo

• Reply Lauren July 31, 2013 at 5:06 am

Budapest looks stunning. I have quite the travel bucket list and for some strange reason Hungary was not on it. This was such a lovely post with gorgeous pictures! Thank you so much for the travel inspiration!

• Reply Judit Gueth July 31, 2013 at 5:10 am

I grew up in Hungary near Lake Balaton, and although I live in Canada I always enjoy going back for a visit! Budapest is amazing when it’s all lit up for the evening; I love the cafes and baths and the historic buildings. And yes, get a bottle of Tokai when you’re there! “6 Puttonyos” is the sweetest! Thanks for posting the beautiful pictures!

• Reply Claudia July 31, 2013 at 10:00 am

Wow, it looks amazing! I’m on a world trip right now (thailand at the moment) but when we are back, we definitely want to explore closer to home a bit more. I’ve never been to Hungary but it looks gorgeous. The colors are beautiful, the buildings so warm and friendly and that pool looks so much fun! I do agree about spending time with friends in a place or area where they live. It’s so much better because you will see the country from an insiders eye and not from the main tourist eye. Enjoy the rest of your trip! x Claudia

• Reply Zsofi July 31, 2013 at 11:21 am

It was so good to read this post:-) not because I grew up here but I truly think BP is one of the ideal cities with the river the bridges and the hills of Buda. The city improved a lot in the past 20 years but we still have so much to do. Anyway welcome here!

Zsofi
    (A reader who hardly ever send a comment)

• Reply M. July 31, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Dear Holly,

I am from Hungary (currently living in Vienna /Austria/, but I have spent more than a decade in Budapest, where I have studied) and love the hidden contemporary treasures of this fascinating city (arts, design, small labels, modern cuisine). I would like to share all these informations on my blog (started this week) and Pinterest account. Hope to see there!

M.

• Reply Sally July 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Oooh these photos are gorgeous! I’m going to Budapest in October for a long weekend – even more excited now!

• Reply Punctuation Mark July 31, 2013 at 4:38 pm

never been but my parent have and say its beautiful!

• Reply merilyn August 1, 2013 at 12:34 am

in the 90’s we travelled in hungary.
    memory lane revisited … we stayed on lake ballaton in a boat hired from a local doctor.
    we went from town to town sampling the food and wine and the markets were fantastic!
    from there we caught a train to Budapest just for a day trip an enjoyable way to view the countryside. later we took the car and stayed in Budapest for a few days staying in a huge fortress up on the hill overlooking the city. we enjoyed three classical concerts in three historical venues at unbelievably reasonable prices … as you can tell we have wonderful
    memories of this Austro Hungarian historical city. I am Australian and my partner is Austrian, and I had just completed my diploma in art so this trip was the most wonderful thing I’ve ever done! we also travelled through France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Germany, and Belgium for 4months … loved it all… you asked for it! lol m:)X

• Reply Michelle August 1, 2013 at 12:48 am

oh wow…amazing….u r making me so excited…I’m off to paris in 7 weeks !!! have a fabulous timex

• Reply geraldine August 1, 2013 at 1:21 am

Wonderful post Rincy, love the photos. You make me want to go to Budapest now ;) x

• Reply fenny setiawan August 1, 2013 at 3:35 am

I visited Budapest last year, and I am in love and would like to go back. It is indeed a beautiful city. People are warm and friendly, love the food, love to explore the city and observe the locals. Indeed, Hungary is one of my most fave country that I ever visited,

I am going to Western Australia next week, for a family holiday, we will be staying in country side and enjoy the farm life. It is Winter in down under. I am excited because I am curious to experience Winter in August :).

Thank you for sharing this post.

• Reply Tree Mushroom August 1, 2013 at 3:52 am

Anywhere in Europe is a fairly tale for me. Lovely photos of a beautiful country.

• Reply Rincy K August 1, 2013 at 9:59 am

Thank you all for such beautiful comments, suggestions and memories! I absolutely adore sharing it with you.

Thank you sweet Holly for letting me share it here! xx

• Reply Kayli August 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Budapest seems like such an amazing, beautiful country. It’s definitely on my list! I love how it’s smaller compared to it’s surrounding cities but still carries so much elegance and charm :)

• Reply Lina August 2, 2013 at 10:03 am

Beautiful pictures! I’ve never been to Budapest, but a few years ago I visited a little village in south Germany. It was surrounded with hills and the streets where made of stone and the buildings where breathtaking.

Even small villages can deliver!

• Reply Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating August 4, 2013 at 6:22 am

I’m from Midwest America, and had never been out of North America until this summer when we traveled to Germany and Czech Republic. Budapest was on our itinerary too but we had to cut it out for time’s sake. It will be a few years before we can do an overseas vacation again, but Hungary is still on our wish list!

• Reply Simone August 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I just came visited there. My mum’s Hungarian.

Boy it was so different from how I imagined it.

It’s really hip and happening and very trendy and arty.

Loved, loved it! I went on an alternative tour, which takes you through to all the alternative art scenes, around the 7th district. Very cool indeed.

But Paris is my favourite of all. If I could live there I would!

• Reply Jessica August 8, 2013 at 4:15 am

Oh my beautiful country. How I love it there. I visited 2 years ago. It is quite amazing how the city transforms when the the lights are on at night. This year we went to Norway, cruised around the fjords and climbed to Pulpit Rock. Beautiful, clean and super expensive country.